• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orr is terrible. I'd recommend not going unless you can get in on a zerg.

It's a pretty boring looking area as well, the environment feels bland...lots of brown/reddish hues with not too much detail, looks like it's on Mars.

With that said, farming mats there, hopping from DE to DE, and mining the orichalcum ore deposits can get you decent rewards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's a pretty boring looking area as well, the environment feels bland...lots of brown/reddish hues with not too much detail, looks like it's on Mars.

With that said, farming mats there, hopping from DE to DE, and mining the orichalcum ore deposits can get you decent rewards.
Whaaaa? Fort Trinity is like the craziest looking structure ever!

I've really enjoyed my time sneaking around Orr alone, picking off weak groups. With a group of 5-10 I bet it's a blast.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
They are actually one of the most rolled professions in the game. Partly because of how flashy it is and partly because of the attunements making the class unique.

The big problem is a lot of people think it's a lot of work to maintain survivability withte class. I'm currently playing one as an alt, so I'll look into how it works out. It just could be the level of coordination and micro management of the class is higher.

Honestly, I'm an ele and I wouldn't consider myself even close to the best gamer and I do alright with it. I would probably suck at PVP but for PVE I do alright. I will admit that I have been afraid to go with y'all into explorable dungeons and whatnot just because I am afraid I'll suck but I'll probably build more confidence in my skills as I get close to 80.

Ken

Ruins of Orr.

So is there no way to remove runes that are already slotted into armor without destroying the rune?

Slotted some Runes of Soldier last night but now I'm starting to believe that stacking vitality and toughness outside of traits is pointless.

Ghost23

They are actually one of the most rolled professions in the game. Partly because of how flashy it is and partly because of the attunements making the class unique.

The big problem is a lot of people think it's a lot of work to maintain survivability withte class. I'm currently playing one as an alt, so I'll look into how it works out. It just could be the level of coordination and micro management of the class is higher.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could update us as you play more with your alt. It will help decide my class choice. :)

ok about to chose a server now:

So the one i pick NOW will be permanent unless i pay to have change it later correct?

also: For the EU servers, does the language change with the server or is that only a setting within the client or a matter of which client you chose to download?

Just making sure i won't gimp myself later...

TheYanger

Ruins of Orr.

So is there no way to remove runes that are already slotted into armor without destroying the rune?

Not without destroying the rune, OR the armor, OR using a transmog stone to transmog it (in which case you can choose the rune, graphic, and stats, seperately to combine into one item.

Xane

If there's still place in the [EU] GAF guild for me, I'm interested in joining.

Name: Xane.5146
Highest Character: Sheerah, lv80 Engineer
Main Character: Sir Xane, lv17 Guardian

KingKong

Fuck Estate of Decay, I wish the friendly NPCs werent so useless, they die in seconds to the boss and targetting makes killing those protectors a pain in the ass

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So would it be unwise to roll as an elementalist? I feel as though there is a lot of negativity towards the class.

I'm almost level 50 on my Elementalist and I thought it was pretty badass until I started up a Warrior... then a Guardian... then a Thief. All of these classes seem much more badass, don't require nearly as much running around like a crazed chicken, and don't demand you to juggle 20 hotkeys all while being the squishiest class in the game.

It's just annoying more than anything. I don't really want to have to change from a class I like just to counter whatever the current overpowered thing is, they will *never* balance the game.
Well, that's just cynical. They'll get the game to some semblance of balance given enough time and effort if they're competent at it. (If they're not, well, them's the breaks!)
My post said the WoW gear grind was bad, I don't know why you think I said otherwise. Either way, this is a false dilemma.
I was just reinforcing it.

Really weird when people assume you're being contrary when you're not. What's up with that?

Kalnos

Banned
Well, that's just cynical. They'll get the game to some semblance of balance given enough time and effort if they're competent at it. (If they're not, well, them's the breaks!)
I was just reinforcing it.

I'm not sure cynical is the right word but yeah I'm pessimistic that they will. There are just too many variables and options in a game like this for it to ever truly be balanced and not favor certain group compositions. That's a reality of the genre more than anything.

Really weird when people assume you're being contrary when you're not. What's up with that?

Sorry if I came off aggressive, it's hard to tell when people are being contrary in an MMO thread. :p

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

I've really enjoyed my time sneaking around Orr alone, picking off weak groups. With a group of 5-10 I bet it's a blast.

I actually like Orr too, so far - a lot of spectacular landscapes going on, and the loss of hearts is a plus to gameplay, in my opinion :) Yeah, the enemies can be annoying as hell, but it carries the warzone feel pretty well.

What nice things are there to expect from completing lower level maps with 80?

falastini

Do you guys weapon swap a lot as thief? I kinda don't see much the point in doing so...

I'm pretty sure initiative acts like 2 seperate pools of resource on different sets. So you could essentially equip the same weapons and be able to use the same abilities 2x as much?

I don't have a thief, I saw a video of one with 2 dagger/dagger sets.

I'm not sure cynical is the right word but yeah I'm pessimistic that they will. There are just too many variables and options in a game like this for it to ever truly be balanced and not favor certain group compositions. That's a reality of the genre more than anything.
I take it you haven't played GW1 before. PvP in that game was normally well balanced despite there being far FAR more combinations from the dual class system with 8 skills.

Nothing.
Not saying it to be negative since I know I'll get jumped on, but it's the truth. You don't get anything worthwhile. Nothing scales in this game except for random equipment drops. Trash drops, completion rewards, most chest rewards, exp rewards, don't really scale.
Yeah, I wish drops scaled better to your level. :/
Granted, that means you can still farm up copper if you need it, but I'd prefer to be getting at least level 70 stuff with my 80.

TheYanger

I actually like Orr too, so far - a lot of spectacular landscapes going on, and the loss of hearts is a plus to gameplay, in my opinion :) Yeah, the enemies can be annoying as hell, but it carries the warzone feel pretty well.

Nothing.
Not saying it to be negative since I know I'll get jumped on, but it's the truth. You don't get anything worthwhile. Nothing scales in this game except for random equipment drops. Trash drops, completion rewards, most chest rewards, exp rewards, don't really scale.

Rapstah

What the fuck is up with the laughing and cheering people in Divinity's Reach? It's not like every NPC is happy and cheery, the background sound of that place just insists on playing the sound of two or three people laughing and cheering, loudly, all over the important parts of the city. It's unbearable!

Rpgmonkey

Decent chunk of money, experience, and some materials.

The equipment you get may or not be particularly useful though. I just salvaged it or sold it on the TP if it could be sold quickly for a decent price.

TheYanger

Decent chunk of money, experience, and some materials.

The equipment you get may or not be particularly useful though. I just salvaged it or sold it on the TP if it could be sold quickly for a decent price.

While I'm all for doing low level zones for the exploration, calling the money or experience decent is just mean. You get like 10 silver for those things, they take HOURS to finish. You could go farm mobs in orr for 10 minutes and double that. The XP is about the same as doing a dynamic event. And those 40 soft wood logs are about 80 copper on the ah.

I'm just saying, that stuff is virtually useless aside from progress towards world completion.

Xiaoki

I'm pretty sure initiative acts like 2 seperate pools of resource on different sets. So you could essentially equip the same weapons and be able to use the same abilities 2x as much?

I don't have a thief, I saw a video of one with 2 dagger/dagger sets.

Um, no.

Initiative is tied the Thief not the weapons.

Going double weapons is for a build with the Trait "Quick Pockets" from the Acrobatics line. When you weapon swap while in combat you get 3 Initiative. This lets you spam the same moves a bit more.

Ken

If you hate fun, just speed run through CoF for the rest of your days. 29s+ per run, 1 skill point every 2 runs, and tokens for a free level 80 exotic set are kind of too good to pass up if you have more time than sense.

TheYanger

If you hate fun, just speed run through CoF for the rest of your days. 29s+ per run, 1 skill point every 2 runs, and tokens for a free level 80 exotic set are kind of too good to pass up if you have more time than sense.

The funniest part is that CoF isn't even really the most efficient Exp mode. It's just the one people do.

Rpgmonkey

While I'm all for doing low level zones for the exploration, calling the money or experience decent is just mean. You get like 10 silver for those things, they take HOURS to finish. You could go farm mobs in orr for 10 minutes and double that. The XP is about the same as doing a dynamic event. And those 40 soft wood logs are about 80 copper on the ah.

I'm just saying, that stuff is virtually useless aside from progress towards world completion.

Well personally, the completion is just a result of going around and doing stuff, I like to complete maps in games but just for fun, not to get a great reward. I find the money and experience useful on top of what I've already gotten as I was completing the map regardless of my level (mostly because I feel like I'm constantly broke in this game, so I'll always appreciate even just 10 silver), but I could honestly take or leave the rest.

I must admit though, some of the materials were a little useful for me, moreso than they may be for others, because I tackled all that stuff kinda late and didn't do a lot of harvesting until I really got into it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

But I love fun! That's why I love this game!

stuminus3

After discovering where the mouse sensitivity controls are (not under the controls tab, which is bizarre), I've now effectively turned this into a MMOTPS (third person shooter) with my Ranger and his shortbow. So fun.

Audίoboxer;42203847 said:
Oh fuck, what in the hell is this sound the human female makes with a greatsword - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHKYxx7lcsQ

IT'S RUINING MY GUARDIAN.

Topic on the main forums as well - https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/bugs/Female-Human-Greatsword-sounds

Surely can't be intentional, it's completely out of place from the other sounds.

Human female thief makes the same hilarious noises when she does heartseeker or other jumping things.

I thought it was awesome. Maybe not inthe right way though? The game seems to have a really oddball sense of humor sometimes.

I need advise on the CM explorable dungeon. As in wat. Did AC story and the ghost eater stuff and it is hard but figure out the point and it is do-able. CM first option line though I have no idea.
I sort of get it, through all the sneaking to get to Frost. But then Frost is insane, hits hard and has that ice torch. Anyone figure this one out yet? We got as far as, Frost gets stuck shooting in a direction once he fires, so try to circle strafe. He does instant 180s though before he fires, so I'm at a loss. Is this just an issue of gear up?

So, I've noticed a couple posts indicating some controller support through drivers. Any good? How is it for PvP? I can't imagine it's as good as a mouse and keyboard.

this game is amazing when I was leveling, but after being 80 for a bit, i discovered that it is lacking in end game content and incentive...

ugh its so bad that i dont even feel like playing that much anymore.

Won

Audίoboxer;42203847 said:
Oh fuck, what in the hell is this sound the human female makes with a greatsword - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHKYxx7lcsQ

IT'S RUINING MY GUARDIAN.

Topic on the main forums as well - https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/bugs/Female-Human-Greatsword-sounds

Surely can't be intentional, it's completely out of place from the other sounds.

lol humans.

I created a human once. Picked something up at the first heart area. He said something like "oopsy daisy" while doing so.

Deleted him instantly.

Just bought the T2 human cultural for my Thief. Looks so awesome. I could only afford the coat and mask for now:

01JXf.jpg

UIqDJ.jpg

0ORaz.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
How open is the world in GW2?
I have this itch to explore vast virtual worlds... GW2 not requiring sub is kinda appealing.
Besides, i kinda need something to prevent me from resubbing to WoW.

Kalnos

Banned
I have this itch to explore vast virtual worlds... GW2 not requiring sub is kinda appealing.

It's huge and there's a ton of stuff to find. The negatives for me is that a lot of the things for you to find are clearly marked on a map and that there are loads between zones.

GW2 world is pretty big. I have yet to see everything after 170 hours of play. Also, the event system is a great way to lose track of time and get distracted from what you're doing. I was exploring timberline falls after doing an event chain and found a cave. I explored it, found a chest, and got the Only Zuhl achievement. Neat.

Then I tried to find a way out.
I had to drop down into a big open area filled with lava and lots of sharp drops. I ran into a destroyer swarm, an event involving you just "surviving the attack". After that, I walked into a chamber with a massive destroyer boss and a group event started up. Oh man, I had to stay on my toes to keep from getting killed. I ended up dying to a lava fountain popping up under my feet. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom