• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

So I was doing Ascalonian Catacombs earlier, and I disconnected from the game. When I reconnected, I was outside the dungeon and got the normal popup "Join party in dungeon?" I clicked yes and it put me in a brand new instanced dungeon with no progress completed, away from my party. I was never able to re-join them.

Is this intentional? If so, shitty and infuriating.

No, not intentional. Were you put into an overflow server when you logged back on? I don't think it works correctly when trying to join a home server instanced group from an overflow server.

_woLf

No, not intentional. Were you put into an overflow server when you logged back on? I don't think it works correctly when trying to join a home server instanced group from an overflow server.

hmmmm, this could have been what happened. I re-joined the dungeon too quickly to get a notice that I did join an overflow, if that is what happened.

Ashodin

hmmmm, this could have been what happened. I re-joined the dungeon too quickly to get a notice that I did join an overflow, if that is what happened.

that's how it works basically, It's because the overflow servers have some sort of crossed wires trying to connect to the home server to get you back into your instance.

Evlar

Banned
Only level 15, so I'm barely started on learning this character. I've settled into the pistol+shield layout for my engy, with elixirs as utility options. I wasn't really enjoying the combat much while I experimented with rifles, grenades, and the healing turret. The shield just makes soloing much easier and vastly improves my survivability.

The game is simply different from standard MMOs. I can't say whether that is bad or good... The game makes it easier to spontaneously group up thanks to events, divisible experience, the lack of the trinity making role specialization less of a stumbling block. On the other hand groups are less effective in total due to the lack of the trinity and the general Zerg approach to problem solving. It seems like it may be hard to feel like anything other than part of the mob during big fights.

glaurung

I finally got an answer from their tech support regarding my problem.

My problem:
  1. Bought the regular pre-purchase version from GMG.
  2. Got my key, participated in some betas, now this key is bound to my account (and that Her's Band ring too).
  3. Pre-ordered the collector's edition later on. Received it at launch.
  4. Cannot upgrade my regular pre-purchase key to CE.
  5. Their system does not support stacking keys (unlike Blizzard's).
So I opened an issue ticket with them and waited a couple of weeks. They finally replied to me with the following options:
  1. Make a new account with the CE key. I do not want to do that.
  2. Upgrade to the digital deluxe version for my own money. I have no particular desire to do that either, considering I paid 130 euros for the CE box.
  3. Wait until their system is upgraded to allow stacking keys. Which might be never.
Since I'm in no rush right now, I will wait for their upgrades. I hope this information is useful for others with the same problem.

leng jai

The lack of chat in this game is pretty disturbing. I've done several instance runs where the entire party said literally nothing besides the obligatory story or explore question at the beginning.

Hey guys ive got a quick question for you :)

Does anybody know how well the game will run on a Geforce 8800GTS and an AMD 2,6GHz Dual Core CPU? Canyourunit says im over the recommended specs, but i dont really believe that it would run well. I want to play at 1368x720 with at least 30 fps. Is that possible?

nataku

The lack of chat in this game is pretty disturbing. I've done several instance runs where the entire party said literally nothing besides the obligatory story or explore question at the beginning.

Yeah. But that's been my experience in other MMOs as well. I hate to bring it up, because I'm sure it's going to start something, but WoW dungeon runs were where I noticed this starting. It got especially bad with the LFG tool. You were just put in the dungeon, expected to know the boss fights and no communication was necessary.

I use to talk all the time in other MMOs I've played before WoW, but playing that game for so long with the lack of talking has conditioned me to not talk to others outside the guild. It's something people are just going to have to make an effort to get over. We'll see if they do or not.

I think that's just something people might have to deal with for PUGs.

etiolate

Banned

That's MMOs. Nobody talks in LFD either. Just Hi. Thanks. Bye.

Really, all social communication in MMOs exist in guilds, or, once in awhile, within pugs you make that do very well and lead to making connections. Any other conversation is Barrens Chat and Trade Trolling level stuff.

leng jai

I'm not that experienced in MMOs - played WoW vanilla and Warhammer and the communication seemed more prevalent in those games. Even GAF guild doesn't seem to talk all that much but that might be down to my timezone.

So a few days ago, I finally hit 80 with my elementalist. When i started, i was so undecided regarding traits and such that i chose to challenge myself: invest no skill points or trait points until hitting 80. I managed it too, (with the exception that i used the mistfire wolf elite on the toughest fights starting around level 40). So, what did i feel like once i did invest? Godly. And bewildered, what with having to juggle 4 attunements and 4 skills. Took a while to get used to it. Of all the things, though, I think i enjoy the conjured weapons ice bow and fiery greatsword the most. It's fun to, just for a short while, stop balancing 4 attunements and just dish out a massive amount of damage.

So very fun, though. I like D/D, but I keep going back to staff. I Still have a lot to learn about combos, though. There's the simple ones, of course, but I've certainly missed the more involved ones, especially the self-induced combos.

Been playing solo most of the time, but it is nice to get into a group with one or more people, especially if they can draw some attention away from me. It's nice to know I'm not going to be killed by a lowly devourer because it lands 3 hits on me in quick succession. Hit 400 artificer today, and tailor is up next. Can't wait to craft myself an exotic staff.

Speaking of specs, I have a horribly unbalanced system with a Core 2 E5200 OC'd to a little over 3Ghz, paired with a GTX670 (one of these is not making it into my next build, heh). CPU limited practically the whole way. And the dragon fights just get me chugging down to 4fps or so. I really don't want to upgrade yet, but this isn't the optimum way to play, ya know....

edit: the dragon farming is a bit lame. Kinda stupid seeing "see you guys in 3 hours" written seriously. I helped kill Tequatl twice (silver first time, gold second -- thanks to conjured fiery greatsword!), and I needed to not see a dragon for a while.

TL;DR: I love my cute ele, despite being susceptible to one-shotting from some bosses. Oh, and i made it to 80 before i invested a single skill or trait point. Bam.

Stuart444

so today I did HotW (which went pretty well), reached level 80 and did the final personal story mission before Arah

That boss against the Eye was very very fun, each mechanic was mostly a test of your dodging abilities (or positional abilities or even just jumping abilities since all 3 can avoid his attacks) and Trahearne was more useful in that battle than he has been in almost every other mission. Extremely enjoyable fight.

SorchaR

I don't know how other people manage to chat and fight at the same time. I only have 1 keyboard, I either use it for chatting and am standing still, or I use it to move and use my skills and thus I'm quiet.

I haven't done any instances yet, but unless it was with a group of people I know and can talk through TeamSpeak or Mumble, I can't imagine being chatty except for the occasional "hi", "ty", and "well done". :(

Mikeside

Just checking in to confirm that I started a new character (Norn Warrior) to replace my Human Engineer as I wasn't really enjoying the game and I thought it might be because I hated my class.

Turned out I was right.

I got to level 17 as an engineer, was really bored of my skills and of combat in general & I found myself actively avoiding mobs because of it.

I'm on level 13 or so with my warrior now and the combat is so much more fun. I haven't found any class skills that I really care about using so far but I'm enjoying my twin axe & sword/board weapon skills so much that it doesn't matter so far.

I've only really solo'd so far - when would be a good time to dive into grouping? I was planning on waiting for lvl30 and doing some dungeon stuff, but is it worth getting involved earlier?

Dreavus

I just looked up the actual requirements for legendaries for the first time. Huh. I had a tenuous grasp on what was required, but didn't realize how deep the rabbit hole goes. You need oceans of material to make one of these, to the point where I think I'd get depressed if I actively tried to chase one. At least they're difficult to get I guess!

Nyx

Having a lot more fun with my Thief (lvl 15) than my Engineer (lvl 12).

Will definitely stick to the Thief for the time being, love switching between dual daggers and dual pistols.

TheYanger

I don't know how other people manage to chat and fight at the same time. I only have 1 keyboard, I either use it for chatting and am standing still, or I use it to move and use my skills and thus I'm quiet.

I haven't done any instances yet, but unless it was with a group of people I know and can talk through TeamSpeak or Mumble, I can't imagine being chatty except for the occasional "hi", "ty", and "well done". :(

Typing fast and in quick bursts. It's a skill you learn playing mmos.

AC in particular seems more broken in this regard than others - I've seen party split issues in there a few times, never from overflow.

Reikon

Yeah it seems like that's the case with people in most MMOs. People only care about getting progress/loot instead of socializing. I prefer the opposite, but finding decent people is pretty hard with people either being silent or trolling.

leng jai

Yeah it seems like that's the case with people in most MMOs. People only care about getting progress/loot instead of socializing. I prefer the opposite, but finding decent people is pretty hard with people either being silent or trolling.

A lot of the appeal for me when playing MMOs is the social aspect which is closely intertwined with teamwork. It's surprising to me that most people don't seem to share the same view.

Orcastar

A lot of the appeal for me when playing MMOs is the social aspect which is closely intertwined with teamwork. It's surprising to me that most people don't seem to share the same view.

The thing is, GW2 actively discourages connecting with other players.

Think about it, in WoW when you meet another player in a zone doing the same thing you're doing, whether it's gathering resources or doing a quest, there's an immediate connection. You're competing for the same resources and mobs, their actions affect your actions and vice versa. You might get angry at them for "stealing" your mobs and resources, or you might ask them to party with you in which case you benefit since quests become easier. If you're on a PvP server and you're from opposing factions, a battle might result. Whether positive or negative, there's an immediate connection.

In GW2, other players you meet in the world are nothing but background noise. There's usually no reason whatsoever to communicate with them. Sure, if they happen to be killing the same mobs you are, it might go faster for both you, and taking out a champion mob might be impossible without their help, but there's no incentive to stay together or form a party. In fact, outside of dungeons, there is no reason whatsoever to party with other players you don't already know. Other players also can't affect you negatively in any way; they can't "steal" resources or kills from you, which is a good thing in a way, but ultimately makes you more disconnected from them.

I've often heard WoW being referred to as the world's biggest single-player MMO, but I'd say GW2 fits that bill much better.

etiolate

Banned
Don't feel that way at all. There is no connection with others out in the world of WoW unless you save their ass on a PVP server. Otherwise, its just another shmuck on the same quest chain and you're competing for first hits.

Because of the cooperative nature of GW2's design, everyone helps each other and the mood is more friendly. I rez others, get thanked. Others rez me and I thank them. I see someone running from too many mobs and I can jump in, not punish them or myself, and it works out fine.

As an example, my girlfriend and I were trying to get to this Vista in Lornar's Pass. It was up on this rock jutting out of the side of a mountain. We weren't the only one trying to find a path to it near the bottom, but nobody was figuring out the route. GF gave up for the time being and went afk. I looked on the map and saw what looked like a path up the hill further north.

So I go that way and find the path. The pathway is lined with Ettins and I don't feel like fighting Ettins. So I equip my stealth and escape setup and wander through the Ettins. Near a path that seems to overhang the Vista's ledge, I run into a Charr Engineer thats downed with two Ettins beating his face in. I pop in, drop some illusions and a chaos storm, and rez him up, then finish off the Ettins. We try to get to the vista, but still can't figure it out. We both go up the other path and find more Ettins, We dispatch those Ettins. Then at the end of the path we see a few huts, three veteran Ettins, and one Champion Ettin Boss. We clear out the Vet ettins, with my stealth and his turrets. That leaves the Champion Ettin boss. We still haven't talked, but we understand what each other is doing. If this was any other MMO, we'd have to party or we'd be screwing one of us over. It's not needed here, the communication is through play.

I engage the Champion first, dropping a Chaos Storm and Warlock on him. I switch to my sword and engage at melee. The Engineer sets up his turrets and plays ranged. We juggle his net turret immobilze with my iLeap->Swap immobilize, as well as my clones cripple to kite him. A ranger shows up near the start, rushes in and gets downed fast. We kite the boss away from him, then rez him. Now there's three of us, two heavily ranged, and myself ranged/melee. I play mostly melee, juggling my cripples, immobilize, and blind from Prestige to mitigate damage from the boss. I throw in a Diversion shatter when I can to interrupt his big knockdowns. The ranger drops healing springs, the Engineer Healing Turret, and I blast finish within them, and my Phantasms are traited to apply regeneration.

We basically kite fight him, working very well together. The Vet Ettins even respawn on top of us, and we split very naturally and take them down while maintaining the boss. It takes awhile, but we down the boss and it was very well coordinated without conversation. We just understood the language of the combat field.

We say good job, loot the treasure chest, and go back to trying to get to that vista. Eventually the Engineer finds the right angle to get over the rock, I follow, and we make it down to the vista. My GF's back, so I drop a portal on the cliff edge, hop down and drop the other portal. My GF and one other portal back up and get the vista.

In another MMO, that Ranger would have been screwed out of the fight. My portal couldn't help another player not of my group. The group might have been screwed if nobody could tank the boss. The situation might not have even began because the Engineer would just be a strange corpse in the world that means nothing to me.

Dreavus

Think about it, in WoW when you meet another player in a zone doing the same thing you're doing, whether it's gathering resources or doing a quest, there's an immediate connection. You're competing for the same resources and mobs, their actions affect your actions and vice versa. You might get angry at them for "stealing" your mobs and resources, or you might ask them to party with you in which case you benefit since quests become easier. If you're on a PvP server and you're from opposing factions, a battle might result. Whether positive or negative, there's an immediate connection.

In GW2, other players you meet in the world are nothing but background noise. There's usually no reason whatsoever to communicate with them. Sure, if they happen to be killing the same mobs you are, it might go faster for both you, and taking out a champion mob might be impossible without their help, but there's no incentive to stay together or form a party. In fact, outside of dungeons, there is no reason whatsoever to party with other players you don't already know. Other players also can't affect you negatively in any way; they can't "steal" resources or kills from you, which is a good thing in a way, but ultimately makes you more disconnected from them.

I've often heard WoW being referred to as the world's biggest single-player MMO, but I'd say GW2 fits that bill much better.

I don't really get this. PvP engagements aside... On the one hand: you can form traditional parties in a game such as WoW to help each other out if you're on the same quest! On the other hand: you can spontaneously help each other without the specific need of a party, and that's somehow worse and isolating?

People usually don't functionally connect through parties because they don't really need to, but that shouldn't stop you from speaking up if you want to start a group or whatever. The actual party mechanics (inviting dudes to your group) just isn't necessary, but I don't think it's THAT interaction that should be special or anything. I didn't play WoW, but did the level of interaction extend beyond much "what quest are you doing?" You can easily start a conversation with other players and team up to do stuff in GW2 too.

Reminds of the time a little asuran elementalist walked up to try and revive me after I fell to my death trying to get a vista, then he got attacked by 2 wolves and held on by a shred of health to barely kill them... then came back and finished getting me on my feet (it was hilarious to watch, probably because of asuran animations haha). I gave the old "thanks" and a brief exchange, we did a couple events together before moving on to whatever else. Not to mention there's been multiple times where I'm on the back foot in a fight, and another player or two will wander by and save my butt.

There was another time where a buddy and I was trying to fight our way out of some kind of bizarre snow troll crevice with insane spawn rates, and it got to the point where we had about 5-6 other player join in the battle. This wasn't even an event, people just saw us fighting down there. The trolls were respawning so quickly that we could definitely use the help (a veteran that we killed would respawn before we could get the champion down). I like that aspect of teamwork in the game, and I don't think a regularly party system would support that kind of assistance in a very good way.

Those moments of partying up can happen, it's just the game takes care of a lot of the legwork you'd ordinarily have to do yourself, and sets it up automatically.

Dunlop

I should hit 71 tonight. What is the easiest /cheapest crafting route to take to put on a few levels? I need a change of pace

TheYanger

So, instead of not talking and fighting stuff, you'd have said 'hey let's group' or invited him to your group and done the same thing.

I'm not seein it.

I don't think either game is any more or less social than you want it to be. EQ was social.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I completely disagree. For the first time in an MMO I actually enjoy seeing other players near me when i'm questing. I might even join them to see what's up and where they are going.
I will run half a mile just to resurrect somebody and I always get thanked in return, possibly leading to a new temporary questing buddy.

WoW is nothing like that, having people close just gimps your progress seeing as you both prey on the same stuff in the same area doing the same shit. Incidental parties with those people are most often not social at all, they are for one purpose only and get disbanded immediately once the deed is done.
The party is only formed out of necessity and personal gain, not social reasons.

Social interaction in these games is what you make of it. I had a blast mobbing with a group of two guys yesterday following a long quest chain in Gandarra, talking all the time.
Just speak up and conversations start flowing. Of course you can just focus and grind in silence, but then you shouldn't be the one complaining about it being a single-player game.

TheYanger

My personal take...yeah, I like when other people are near me, but only because it means I can leech off of their ability to help me kill stuff faster. I think that's basically how everyone feels - "Hey, these guys are fighting these mobs already, this DE will go five times faster and now is worth my time, I won't ignore it". I won't put words in everyone else's mouth, maybe you genuinely get psyched just knowing someone else is playing the same game as you, but 'helping' someone is no more or less possible in this game as any other (I can help kill mobs with someone in wow too, we can group for credit or I can just feel nice), the only difference is you're both getting rewarded without being grouped, essentially you are doing it BECAUSE you're getting loot/xp/quest progress - It's faster to work together so you do, but it doesn't mean you're somehow any closer than you would be in any other game.

Until you actually start having a conversation with someone, you are NOT socializing with them, you're just mutually benefitting from killing shit in close proximity. My 2 cents.

etiolate

Banned
The main thing is that cooperatively play is often less efficient in MMOs. When WoW had open world elites and more group quests, grouping was needed. They wiped elites from many areas of the game and made most of the quests solo.

leng jai

My personal take...yeah, I like when other people are near me, but only because it means I can leech off of their ability to help me kill stuff faster. I think that's basically how everyone feels - "Hey, these guys are fighting these mobs already, this DE will go five times faster and now is worth my time, I won't ignore it". I won't put words in everyone else's mouth, maybe you genuinely get psyched just knowing someone else is playing the same game as you, but 'helping' someone is no more or less possible in this game as any other (I can help kill mobs with someone in wow too, we can group for credit or I can just feel nice), the only difference is you're both getting rewarded without being grouped, essentially you are doing it BECAUSE you're getting loot/xp/quest progress - It's faster to work together so you do, but it doesn't mean you're somehow any closer than you would be in any other game.

Until you actually start having a conversation with someone, you are NOT socializing with them, you're just mutually benefitting from killing shit in close proximity. My 2 cents.

This is exactly how I feel about the general vibe of PVE.

I don't think that is true at all. I think you are being completely unfair.

First of all; Guild Wars 2 does encourages cooperative play. What other players bring to the table in events is that they scale up and become more epic. It's not supposed to be easier. There are scaling problems on either side of the spectrum (too hard / too easy) but the idea is that other players make the game spawn more enemies and more challanging content. That encopurages play.
The everybody-can-rez idea is encouraging cooperative play. I've not had it happen to me yet that a player just walked past me without rezing me. This happened constantly in WoW. In WoW it was a lot of being an asshole.

People are encouraged to play together through the removal of crappy barriers like race, class, server type, and other restrictions. Outside of being on an overflow and the "Join friend in their world" not working all the time, which is annoying nothing stops you from playing with who you want to play with.

The downscaling being very big. GW2 is the only game I've been able to play towards completition, despite leveling differences because of this. I love that

Just because you don't stop and chat. Which makes sense because GW2 requires a lot of anticipation. You never enter god mode, your asked to survive by pressing every attack, dodge out of the way and being in a world were you could just be standing in an open grass field and then something suddenly happens...

It doesn't mean the game is not social just because people dont live in a static world and are bored. Lets see how it a year from now. I think servers will have settled, overflows are less (im 50% on the overflow).

Ashodin

Actually, some DEs scale based on people around you (the bar filling up faster or slower). So sometimes you can do an entire Dynamic Event by yourself. This is the type of scaling I am glad works in the game.

However, this comparison between WoW and GW2 has to stop. It's derailing the thread talking about just the game. Negative or Positive.

etiolate

Banned
I'm just glad that map chat isn't full of talk about other games. Though Overflow Lion's Arch seems to be home to the worst chat fodder.

TheYanger

Actually, some DEs scale based on people around you (the bar filling up faster or slower). So sometimes you can do an entire Dynamic Event by yourself. This is the type of scaling I am glad works in the game.

However, this comparison between WoW and GW2 has to stop. It's derailing the thread talking about just the game. Negative or Positive.

I didn't bring it up, other people did. I barely mentioned it except as a frame of reference, it seems silly and arbitrary not to mention other games of the same genre when making points.

GW2 stuff: Of course DE's scale, it was just one example. The reality is even scaling DE's are always easier with more people. I've never found anything in this game that was harder with more people nearby than less. If I see people doing something I'm ALWAYS more likely to participate, because it's easier (as a guardian with AE anyway) to get credit for almost no effort that way. If I don't even remember them 5 minutes later beyond 'oh yeah there were people' then I don't consider it socializing. It's not 1995, I'm no longer amazed merely by the presence of other people on this futuristic internet thing, so to me that's no more social than reading a website and knowing that other people might be reading it at the same time - Space Magic! In fact, for some classes the way contribution works makes doing events with others a huge chore (Mesmers in AE fest DE's for instance have difficult times getting significant credit. My Guardian has a lot of trouble on claw of Jormag even ATTEMPTING to get bronze, things like this actively make other players a hindrance).

It's weird, but true: The reasons a lot of people play MMOs have nothing to do with playing with other people. And at 25, for some reason that concept makes me feel really old.
I feel ya, I'm nearly 30 (scary) and have been playing MUDs and online RPGs since I was a preteen on our 1200 baud modem. I socialize because otherwise why would I play these games? It's not that they're strictly worse than single player games mechanically, but they definitely have a lot of flaws that could be avoided if they were single player instead. The social elements are what elevate the genre above that, if I were to ignore it they'd be a lot more boring. For the record, while I find GW2 inherantly anti-social, I also find WoW that way if you don't look for it, and most other modern MMOs. As long as there is sufficient reason to be social for other gains, I'm going to do it (being in a guild in GW and an alliance brings me a lot of socialization and increases my fun. Same in wow. Chatting in map chat is more fun to me than just doing hearts, etc).

Amneisac

Man, leveling to 80 really was fun, but yeah, definitely feeling that lack of endgame a little bit. Of course, the no monthly fee, for me at least, is what completely redeems the whole experience to me. I've had way more fun than I'd have out of most $60 games and it's always going to be there for me to pick up and play again when I feel like it / as they add more content.

I haven't done much WvW yet, so I'll check it out, but it doesn't really seem to be my bag the few times I tried it.

I really don't like the idea of running CoF ~75 times to get my gear though. Is there a way to exchange the tokens or anything so I can run the different dungeons and still build toward something? I know I can change the runes and transmute, but you still have to have the cool gear to transmute it so who knows. Like I say though, definitely love the game, playing my 2nd character now.

Reikon

I feel that while GW2 makes the average interaction with a stranger better by allowing spontaneous grouping, that very thing makes it worse at making meaningful connections with people. In other MMOs, there's a barrier to helping others, which means people who party up are more invested and more willing to socialize. In GW2, you may group up with random people for a bit doing a heart or event, but since you never have to talk to each other, there's no sense of an actual connection. You just split up and go off on your own ways.

Yeah I think I'm getting too old for these modern players that just want to go down their quest list and max everything. I play MMOs to make and interact with friends, and I just don't think GW2 or any modern MMO encourages that anymore.

Ashodin

I really don't like the idea of running CoF ~75 times to get my gear though. Is there a way to exchange the tokens or anything so I can run the different dungeons and still build toward something? I know I can change the runes and transmute, but you still have to have the cool gear to transmute it so who knows. Like I say though, definitely love the game, playing my 2nd character now.

You could, you know, run the other dungeons. Doing CoF is only the latest "get gear quick" schemes from the internet, and it's honestly not necessary. All you need is a good competent group and you can run Ascalonian Catacombs (all three wings) 70+ times.

TheYanger

You could, you know, run the other dungeons. Doing CoF is only the latest "get gear quick" schemes from the internet, and it's honestly not necessary. All you need is a good competent group and you can run Ascalonian Catacombs (all three wings) 70+ times.

From the phrasing on his post it sounds like the set he actually wants is a CoF set, not that it's becauseit's the fotm to run. In which case the answer is no, grind away.

Amneisac

I just wish I could run whatever I wanted and get a single currency that I could use to buy gear. I feel like now I'm forced to just run the same dungeon over and over again. It doesn't have to be CoF, that was just the example.

Ooo 70+ times, that sounds like fun

TheYanger

I just wish I could run whatever I wanted and get a single currency that I could use to buy gear. I feel like now I'm forced to just run the same dungeon over and over again. It doesn't have to be CoF, that was just the example.

To me the worst part is if you want the legendary AND the set from a specific dungeon. You're looking at grinding that shit for eternity.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The idea is that the dungeon armor sets indicate your prowess in that particular dungeon (your ability to 'pwn' it, if you will). Thus the tokens are soulbound (not account) and one kind per dungeon. You are actively incentivized to run all the paths and mix it up rather than run the same one over and over again, so replayability is pretty high so something that is so grindy in nature.

It seems silly, maybe, but I don't mind the token costs on the dungeons at all. It took me a bunch of AC runs to get my chestguard, but I appreciate it more for the effort, and it was really nothing compared to the work it takes to get even a "perfect" set of exotics, let alone a legendary. I like that it's a prestige item.

On a related note, this sort of bums me out about CoF because I think that stuff is pretty cool looking but its current FotM status makes seeing the gear out and about in the world a lot less impressive to me. Whaddyagonnado

TheYanger

The idea is that the dungeon armor sets indicate your prowess in that particular dungeon (your ability to 'pwn' it, if you will). Thus the tokens are soulbound (not account) and one kind per dungeon. You are actively incentivized to run all the paths and mix it up rather than run the same one over and over again, so replayability is pretty high so something that is so grindy in nature.

It seems silly, maybe, but I don't mind the token costs on the dungeons at all. It took me a bunch of AC runs to get my chestguard, but I appreciate it more for the effort, and it was really nothing compared to the work it takes to get even a "perfect" set of exotics, let alone a legendary. I like that it's a prestige item.

On a related note, this sort of bums me out about CoF because I think that stuff is pretty cool looking but its current FotM status makes seeing the gear out and about in the world a lot less impressive to me. Whaddyagonnado

really? A perfect set of exotic gear costs like, 25 gold on the AH. I found it pretty easy personally. I'm not sure how replayability of something you have to run literally dozens of times (last count I saw for completing a dungeon set was 40 something runs) that has a few different paths is high. You're still just going to do each path once and then realize you have 36 more runs to do and pick the fastest one unless you hate yourself for some reason.

Ashodin

really? A perfect set of exotic gear costs like, 25 gold on the AH. I found it pretty easy personally. I'm not sure how replayability of something you have to run literally dozens of times (last count I saw for completing a dungeon set was 40 something runs) that has a few different paths is high. You're still just going to do each path once and then realize you have 36 more runs to do and pick the fastest one unless you hate yourself for some reason.

Unless you actually have fun with the game and consider each path a challenge, and if there's some issues with some pulls or some fight, you know you can tighten it up more.

I agree with Hawkian, it's more of a prestige thing, especially because you can get exotics from anywhere.

And the COF Exotics are out there much like "welfare epics" were everywhere in WoW for a time. People flock to the easiest because they want to gear up fast.

The problem is that there's absolutely no reason to gear up fast. This is not a bad problem; it just means that effort on their part is just going to make them burn out faster.

I don't intend to have this happen to me or my guildmates; which is why I'm structuring it out in my own mind as all other dungeon gear being gear I acquire to make Arah explorable farming easier (and a full set of THAT is much more prestige than COF can have).

etiolate

Banned
The way to get the dungeon sets is pretty limiting. I have multiple armors for my GW Dervish, and they ultimately required gold and mats. I could get those things in different ways. It's nice that the dungeons have different paths and some random little events, but 70 runs is quite a lot.

Of course, it's just cosmetic, but if the idea is that you're playing a game for fun then you don't need to make it grindy to earn things.

Ashodin

The way to get the dungeon sets is pretty limiting. I have multiple armors for my GW Dervish, and they ultimately required gold and mats. I could get those things in different ways. It's nice that the dungeons have different paths and some random little events, but 70 runs is quite a lot.

Of course, it's just cosmetic, but if the idea is that you're playing a game for fun then you don't need to make it grindy to earn things.

And of course, you don't have to do the runs every night unless you're completely obsessed. You can do the other content in the game just fine.

BrettWeir

So, I'm ignorant. Is there some sort of karma vendor that sells recipes for exotics? If not, how are they made? I know the 5/5 component, scroll, coin ones for Mystics....is that the only way, or is it all just luck w the mystic forge and drops? I see that Leafy Kudzu of Rage staring me in the face every time I go to the TP. I want that thing. NOT for the fact that it's a Legendary ingredient....I genuinely want the stats. Until they come out with more bow Legendaries, I won't even think about getting one. They look completely lame IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom