• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
really? A perfect set of exotic gear costs like, 25 gold on the AH. I found it pretty easy personally.
I have a bit over 7 gold total and at this point have no real desire to spend even that on the TP. Whatever it is that you did to get that much gold does, to me feel, harder than doing the 11 or 12 runs of AC I needed to get my chestpiece. Even if you have a very efficient way of getting all that gold very quickly by repeating something, I'm not particularly interested in doing that. I plan to assemble my set of exotics at a more gradual pace and I'm sure it won't all have the stats I want at first, probably wind up a mix of native and transmuted dungeon gear, mystic items, and TP purchased ones. I'm in no particular rush as my experience in dungeons, Orr, and tough events in areas above my level on the way to 80 have communicated to me that player skill and adaptability almost always trump better gear, or at the least can make up the deficit.

Regardless, I'm glad that it was easy for you. I doubt that a majority of players would describe the process of acquiring 25 gold as easy but better you find this particular task too easy than too hard.
I'm not sure how replayability of something you have to run literally dozens of times (last count I saw for completing a dungeon set was 40 something runs) that has a few different paths is high. You're still just going to do each path once and then realize you have 36 more runs to do and pick the fastest one unless you hate yourself for some reason.
Well... no. We're looking at this in very different ways.

I know the idea is radical but I actually enjoy the process of running a dungeon, especially in a group composed of a mix of veterans and players running a path for the first time. It's fun. I have no need to run Ascalon Catacombs any longer (actually I would like to own a ghastly weapon of some kind, I guess) but I'm still happy to if people need help, because I know it so well and want to return the favor to people who have been running it with me.

If I feel comfortable with them all I'm going to run all the paths while working toward a piece of gear. I like doing them. I don't think that means I hate myself not to just pick one to do over and over again.

Vossler

Sitting at 200 ascalonian tears....only 190 to go to get that sweet, sweet bow skin. Actually, I'm torn between taht and the dagger/sword.

Achtius

Sitting at 200 ascalonian tears....only 190 to go to get that sweet, sweet bow skin. Actually, I'm torn between taht and the dagger/sword.

why are we getting the same thing and why are we not running more often?

when we get our tears, the only difference between our ranger will be pets, hair style and dye color! :D

TheYanger

And of course, you don't have to do the runs every night unless you're completely obsessed. You can do the other content in the game just fine.

You keep saying this as if there's more to do than farm or do WvW. I think that's been proven false at this point.

Getting 'the best' gear isn't some big grind you're talking about, that's getting visually cool gear. The best gear is bought off the AH for like 25 gold a set, as I noted once already. Making it not look stupid is the grind.

I have a bit over 7 gold total and at this point have no real desire to spend even that on the TP. Whatever it is that you did to get that much gold does, to me feel, harder than doing the 11 or 12 runs of AC I needed to get my chestpiece. Even if you have a very efficient way of getting all that gold very quickly by repeating something, I'm not particularly interested in doing that. I plan to assemble my set of exotics at a more gradual pace and I'm sure it won't all have the stats I want at first, probably wind up a mix of native and transmuted dungeon gear, mystic items, and TP purchased ones. I'm in no particular rush as my experience in dungeons, Orr, and tough events in areas above my level on the way to 80 have communicated to me that player skill and adaptability almost always trump better gear, or at the least can make up the deficit.

Regardless, I'm glad that it was easy for you. I doubt that a majority of players would describe the process of acquiring 25 gold as easy but better you find this particular task too easy than too hard.

Well... no. We're looking at this in very different ways.

I know the idea is radical but I actually enjoy the process of running a dungeon, especially in a group composed of a mix of veterans and players running a path for the first time. It's fun. I have no need to run Ascalon Catacombs any longer (actually I would like to own a ghastly weapon of some kind, I guess) but I'm still happy to if people need help, because I know it so well and want to return the favor to people who have been running it with me.

If I feel comfortable with them all I'm going to run all the paths while working toward a piece of gear. I like doing them. I don't think that means I hate myself not to just pick one to do over and over again.

You mention you like doing something for the first time, but the discussion we're having is about running something OVER FIFTY TIMES. Closer to 100 in some cases. I'm sorry, but you will never have fun with that. Also, acquiring 25 gold IS easy, it's purely time invested. You earn money doing basically anything in this game (except, ironically, doing low level content like so many people seem to say is why there's no endgame). Those CoF runs? Most people aren't doing it for CoF exotics, they're doing it to fill their pockets since you make half a gold each time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I need a badass sword and I find the effect so cool, but I hate the rusted/antique look of the daytime sword skin for AC.

You keep saying this as if there's more to do than farm or do WvW. I think that's been proven false at this point.
Heh, not only have it not been proven false, it is far from something that could ever be proven true or false (commonly described as "an opinion").

Everything in the game is something to do. You're looking at the act of playing GW2 as something that changed significantly when you hit level 80. That's valid; I don't agree with it.

Getting 'the best' gear isn't some big grind you're talking about, that's getting visually cool gear. The best gear is bought off the AH for like 25 gold a set, as I noted once already. Making it not look stupid is the grind.
Agreed (well, maybe not with "not look stupid," there's a lot of nice looks you can get with non-grindy armor) and find this to be a massive, unequivocally positive thing. I'd like it to be relatively simple to get to a mostly even playing field with regard to gear, and have the time and effort spent go toward things that look cool.

It's a component of the game's design that things work this way. If you'd rather be pursuing stastically better loot forever there are an enormous number of games that cater to this privilege.

Ashodin

You've stumbled upon what makes Guild Wars so popular.

And there is lots to do. Crafting, WvW, SPVP, Dynamic events that aren't broken, farming mats to sell for money, Zone completion, Keg Brawl, etc...

There's just so much.

You mention you like doing something for the first time, but the discussion we're having is about running something OVER FIFTY TIMES. Closer to 100 in some cases. I'm sorry, but you will never have fun with that. Also, acquiring 25 gold IS easy, it's purely time invested. You earn money doing basically anything in this game (except, ironically, doing low level content like so many people seem to say is why there's no endgame). Those CoF runs? Most people aren't doing it for CoF exotics, they're doing it to fill their pockets since you make half a gold each time.

Yeahhhh I'm gonna have to disagree with this too. In any MMO anything worth getting is usually locked behind some sort of grind/repetitive feature.

However, much like raiding, there are multiple paths in GW2 in each explorable dungeon that can be done. Meaning, you don't have to run the same path each time if you want to change it up, thus making it fun.

You've stumbled upon what makes Guild Wars so popular.

And there is lots to do. Crafting, WvW, SPVP, Dynamic events that aren't broken, farming mats to sell for money, Zone completion, Keg Brawl, etc...

There's just so much.

Guild Wars is popular because you grind something a ton of times just for looks?

Yeahhhh I'm gonna have to disagree with this too. In any MMO anything worth getting is usually locked behind some sort of grind/repetitive feature.

However, much like raiding, there are multiple paths in GW2 in each explorable dungeon that can be done. Meaning, you don't have to run the same path each time if you want to change it up, thus making it fun.

I never had to run any raid or dungeon so many times to get the loot I wanted. Even with random nonsense in some of them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
1 word...ebonhawke
only cuz it have a hawk
Aye. I want at least the dagger, have to check out the sword (I'm leaning toward mystic sword or Inquest, though I also want the Inquest gauntlets and possibly shortbow so god knows I'll be running Crucible of Eternity plenty of times already, hehe).

Ashodin

Guild Wars is popular because you grind something a ton of times just for looks?

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop just popping into the thread just to give these types of trolling remarks.

No. I'm just referring to the fact that one of the things popular about the original Guild Wars was collecting a set of gear that was mix-matched to look amazing. This is obviously one of the cases here in this game as well.

Level 80 Exotics have the same stats as other Level 80 Exotics, just in different arrays. The idea is to get the skins you want, not the stats. So once you get those Exotics, the game becomes "how much skill can I attain while having exotic gear to make runs for the gear I want to look the way I want accessible?"

Achtius

Aye. I want at least the dagger, have to check out the sword (I'm leaning toward mystic sword or Inquest, though I also want the Inquest gauntlets and possibly shortbow so god knows I'll be running Crucible of Eternity plenty of times already, hehe).

Mystic and inquest share the same skin, just recolor. pick the easy route!

Vossler

why are we getting the same thing and why are we not running more often?

when we get our tears, the only difference between our ranger will be pets, hair style and dye color! :D

I wish I could totally run more often. Won't be on tonight, but will definitely be on tomorrow night, if you would like to run then, sir. Like you said, the only good looking medium armor is the HOM one, ;).

TheYanger

Indeed.

On one hand, "there's no endgame!"

On the other (right) hand, there's everything you listed and more. And the game even does have the rinse and repeat dungeons for rewards design; it just committed the terrible crime of making it entirely optional!

I'll never understand people who demand to have their heads fucked with by MMO designers.

It's 'optional' in the sense that you don't have to do it, but shit I don't have to log into the game either. On the other hand, you can make dungeons rewarding to do a reasonable number of times rather than saying "Hey, I heard you like AC (god knows why)...Why don't you run it EIGHTY MORE TIMES".

For instance: you do all of the explorable modes of a dungeon, you get a piece of gear. or a set. Maybe do it a few times. There's a big difference between giving you the option to do something, and making it so you can do a massive grind, or not play the game.

Again: Just because I can log in and run circles around zones while I sing to myself doesn't ACTUALLY make that compelling content. I can do that in anything. I *CAN* run a dungeon 90 times, true. I can also slam my balls into my car door if I so choose. The designers are fully capable of making it a reasonable number, they make it a high number instead. To me that's dickery. The actual NUMBER of things to do in the game at level 80 is very small. you can 'explore' the world (once, ever). You can WvW. You can grind dungeons/events for new looking armor. That's it. I challenge anyone to name something else you can do.

What that leaves you with is: I've explored the world, that was fun. Now I can queue for WvW, and I can grind the same dungeon 90 times. You say it's optional? The only other option is to not play the fucking game. To me that's not exactly the kind of choice the devs should be trying to put out there, since their livelihood depends on people playing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You mention you like doing something for the first time, but the discussion we're having is about running something OVER FIFTY TIMES. Closer to 100 in some cases.
100 runs of AC would get you 1500 tears at minumum (actually quite a bit more in practice). That's way more than I would ever, ever need.

I think it's going to be very helpful for people:
1) To bear in mind that it's possible just to try for one weapon or armor piece from a dungeon and not an entire set. To get what I wanted from AC I had to run it 11 or 12 times (I did not keep actual count).
2) Even if you do want a whole set, you do not need to be working toward it nonstop until you do something else... think of it as however many runs til your next piece.

So yeah, I'm done with AC but honestly have no problem running it plenty more times to help people out. Actually I look forward to running it with my Mesmer just because of the Kholer fight.

I'm sorry, but you will never have fun with that.
Way too much assumption here. Please don't tell me what I will or won't enjoy. I play with a gamepad and enjoy the basic mechanics of combat and traversal a lot with the two classes I've played a notable amount so far. It's a lot of fun to play, not just a means to an end.

Also, acquiring 25 gold IS easy, it's purely time invested. You earn money doing basically anything in this game (except, ironically, doing low level content like so many people seem to say is why there's no endgame). Those CoF runs? Most people aren't doing it for CoF exotics, they're doing it to fill their pockets since you make half a gold each time.
Ergh...

I'd prefer to invest the time doing what I want to do regardless of how much gold it earns me.

It's ironic that dungeon runs are suggested as an easy way to earn money as they're what we're talking about doing anyway for the token gear.

I don't care why people are doing the CoF runs as what they're doing is generally contrary to my style of play.

Indeed.

On one hand, "there's no endgame!"

On the other (right) hand, there's everything you listed and more. And the game even does have the rinse and repeat dungeons for rewards design; it just committed the terrible crime of making it entirely optional!

I'll never understand people who demand to have their heads fucked with by MMO designers.

Optional of course is nice, but folks want incentives to keep playing once they feel they have completed all. That constant wanting to achieve progression is something folks often want despite saying they don't. They feel like they need the motivation to keep doing stuff in the game. With having no sub folks shouldn't feel that need of course and I think you get your moneys worth either way from the game. Other MMOs it's all also pretty much optional, even Endgame is not required to enjoy majority of a game, but they get stuck often in a subscription that will keep them wanting to play for a reason... the reason usually being getting better lootz.

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop just popping into the thread just to give these types of trolling remarks.

Oh sorry you can't handle something negative being said about the game you adore.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
asdasfasdfasdasd

Why u put PoI in an event-related area!!!

(I'm talking about the one requiring a Dwarven Key in Dredgenaught Cliffs (a.k.a. the area that made me hate dredges)... and you can't open it if it's recently accessed by another player!)

TheYanger

asdasfasdfasdasd

Why u put PoI in an event-related area!!!

(I'm talking about the one requiring a Dwarven Key in Dredgenaught Cliffs (a.k.a. the area that made me hate dredges)... and you can't open it if it's recently accessed by another player!)

I managed to get that PoI by running face first into the door. It never popped up, but checked the map and it was there.

Ashodin

It's 'optional' in the sense that you don't have to do it, but shit I don't have to log into the game either. On the other hand, you can make dungeons rewarding to do a reasonable number of times rather than saying "Hey, I heard you like AC (god knows why)...
Why don't you run it EIGHTY MORE TIMES".
Exaggeration. What about the people who mix and match? Those that just want one piece of gear?

For instance: you do all of the explorable modes of a dungeon, you get a piece of gear. or a set. Maybe do it a few times. There's a big difference between giving you the option to do something, and making it so you can do a massive grind, or not play the game.
Again exaggeration. Not necessary to do the grind unless you want all the gear skins.

Again: Just because I can log in and run circles around zones while I sing to myself doesn't ACTUALLY make that compelling content. I can do that in anything. I *CAN* run a dungeon 90 times, true. I can also slam my balls into my car door if I so choose. The designers are fully capable of making it a reasonable number, they make it a high number instead. To me that's dickery. The actual NUMBER of things to do in the game at level 80 is very small. you can 'explore' the world (once, ever). You can WvW. You can grind dungeons/events for new looking armor. That's it. I challenge anyone to name something else you can do.
This is just screaming of "I want the best possible stuff for as little time as possible". I think WoodenPotatoes put it best himself on his recent video of "endgame":

"The constant yelling of endgame having to be something that engages you in an MMO is dying out. You don't need to play the game all day, every day. It's just like a singleplayer game in that regard. People still have the mentality of "well, I'm paying for it, I need to get my money's worth!" and it's slowly dying away with all the games being free to play or no subscription at launch."

The fact you bring up is that you don't have to play the game is exactly what needs to happen. Are you getting bored with the game? You've been playing it too long. Take a break. Play an Alt if you still want to play. Wait for buddies and do some runs.

Slow down.

What that leaves you with is: I've explored the world, that was fun. Now I can queue for WvW, and I can grind the same dungeon 90 times. You say it's optional? The only other option is to not play the fucking game. To me that's not exactly the kind of choice the devs should be trying to put out there, since their livelihood depends on people playing.
Again, exaggeration. I would like that you stop with the "90 times" thing. Like I said before, it's only if you want to run for the same skin, and it's not even 90 times at that. You're making it look like you have to run endlessly, when it's not necessary. You just WANT to do it.

The devs livelihood is not your concern. They know what they need to do to keep the game alive, and if you think they're not working on alternatives and activities for you to do in-game, you're shortsighted. You already know there's polymock arenas in corners of the game. You know there's areas we can't access yet in the game (The Tengu Lands).

These things will be coming, all for free.

Oh sorry you can't handle something negative being said about the game you adore.

Oh I can handle it just fine, I'm just going by your post history of not really posting in this thread except when it's convenient to pile on the game, is all.

Got my warrior to 35 on Sunday, he's becoming an absolute animal.

I have 10 trait points into power and precision and the precision skill I'm using increases my precision by 40 for every signet I have that is not activated (used) and I currently have 5 signets equipped that I rarely use; needless to say, I'm over 90% crit and I destroy everything. Absolutely loving the class so far.

Game really picked up for me once I hit 30.

EDIT- Also, I picked up a rare dye, it's illuminated yellow/gold and looks amazing on armor.

TheYanger

Exaggeration. What about the people who mix and match? Those that just want one piece of gear?

Again exaggeration. Not necessary to do the grind unless you want all the gear skins.
Since this was a discussion ABOUT grinding for a set of gear, yeah, it's relevant and not an exaggeration. People that want to mix and match still have to run each dungeon a dozen times per piece. That's a lot. That's as many times as I've done some heroics in wow over the course of an entire expansion. (OMG I MENTIONED WOW AS A POINT OF REFERENCE, SORRY IF IT HURTS YOUR FEELINGS).
This is just screaming of "I want the best possible stuff for as little time as possible". I think WoodenPotatoes put it best himself on his recent video of "endgame":

"The constant yelling of endgame having to be something that engages you in an MMO is dying out. You don't need to play the game all day, every day. It's just like a singleplayer game in that regard. People still have the mentality of "well, I'm paying for it, I need to get my money's worth!" and it's slowly dying away with all the games being free to play or no subscription at launch."
It screams of that? Are you dense? I HAVE the best gear for my class/spec. It's done. I think it's infinitely too easy if anything. But unless I care about how my character looks (Which I do mind you, but none of the dungeon sets work for me so this particular hazard doesn't affect me besides legendaries) it leaves me with no reason to do these things beyond once just to do them.

The fact you bring up is that you don't have to play the game is exactly what needs to happen. Are you getting bored with the game? You've been playing it too long. Take a break. Play an Alt if you still want to play. Wait for buddies and do some runs.

Slow down.
You don't get it. The point isn't that I don't want to play the game. The point is that people ENJOY the game and WANT more stuff to do. Instead the devs are telling the players "You don't need stuff to do, we've given you 800 dungeon runs to do to get all of your sets!"

Again, exaggeration. I would like that you stop with the "90 times" thing. Like I said before, it's only if you want to run for the same skin, and it's not even 90 times at that. You're making it look like you have to run endlessly, when it's not necessary. You just WANT to do it.
You're right it's only if you want the whole set. Many people do. There's no reason it should be so many runs. Your choices are to run it a dozen times per piece of gear, or not run it at all for any reward. Super compelling decisions.

The devs livelihood is not your concern. They know what they need to do to keep the game alive, and if you think they're not working on alternatives and activities for you to do in-game, you're shortsighted. You already know there's polymock arenas in corners of the game. You know there's areas we can't access yet in the game (The Tengu Lands).

These things will be coming, all for free.
Now you just sound like some shill. They've been making this game for YEARS. They talked up how cool DEs would be, how you'd never run out of content because it all scales and it's all genuinely fun to do. All that jazz. Ultimately, they haven't delivered on any of the promises related to content, replayability of content, any of that. Why should we suddenly be exstatic at the prospect of more zones at some ambiguous date in the future? I'll play them when they're in. You're right, their livelihood isn't our concern: We shouldn't give two shits about what they're saying they'll do with no firm data. We can only look at what we have now, which is "grind dungeons" or don't bother with pve.

their livelihood depends on people buying the box, not playing. 2 mio people have bought the box. livelihood secured.
You don't understand the economics of the gem store or F2P MMOs very well. People that aren't playing, certainly aren't buying gems. If box sales were all that were necessary to keep an MMO/company afloat, SWTOR would've been set for life.

Booter

The only other option is to not play the fucking game. To me that's not exactly the kind of choice the devs should be trying to put out there, since their livelihood depends on people playing.

their livelihood depends on people buying the box, not playing. 2 mio people have bought the box. livelihood secured.

Like I said in an earlier post, they just need to add some sort of challenge to the game. As of right now there's only one boss fight in the entire game that isn't just mash keys randomly spawn run and win, and it's in arah explorable.
Giganticus Lupicus

It's the only fight that actually made me think about my build and discuss it with my team mates, and it's sad that there isn't more of it.

The other bosses in Arah felt like WoW elite mobs. I do still have one more path to do though, the
Mursaat
path.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The actual NUMBER of things to do in the game at level 80 is very small. you can 'explore' the world (once, ever). You can WvW. You can grind dungeons/events for new looking armor. That's it. I challenge anyone to name something else you can do.
Look, dude, this is just silly. That's all there is for you to do. That has very little to do with me, and only fractions to do with other players.

I reached level 80 over the weekend. Here are things I plan to do.

Short-term:
-Complete my personal story (I'm only like my level 48 quest I think)
-Unlock every skill (I'm just a completionist in this regard)
-Complete every dungeon on story and explorable mode
-See the other dragon fights/big world events (the Fire Elemental and Tequatl are still the only too I've happened to catch)
-Spend some more time in Orr (getting fairly familiar with Malchor's Leap but I haven't entered Cursed Shore yet)
-Get 100% area completion in some of the 70-80 zones for the rewards
-Get a set of exotics
-Get a few more pieces of dungeon gear to get the skins I want
-Guild Events for XP dungeons/zone clears
-Buy the dye colors I want
-WvW now that the queues are getting more reasonable. GAF groups are a blast.

Medium-term
-Complete all paths of all explorable mode dungeons
-Get a second armor set that looks different but also cool and has secondary beneficial stats (maybe a magic find set)
-Get my Jewelcrafting and Weaponsmithing to 400
-100% zone completion in Orr
-Do every jumping puzzle
-WvW

Long-term
-100% world completion
-100% exploration (not the same thing)
-Chasing a legendary weapon
-Getting ArenaNet to hang the GAFGuild flag on the Stormbluff Beacon outpost (remind me to tell you guys more about this idea. it WILL HAPPEN ONE DAY)
-Unlock every dye (you better believe it)
-Lots more WvW

Also bear in mind that I haven't played a single match of sPvP. Maybe I'll love it, just a little intimidated.

So that's my list, and quite frankly, despite all the stuff I wanna do, what I really feel like doing right now is messing around with my Mesmer, which gets more fun at every level (and there are plenty of zones I haven't come close to clearing which means i get to experience 'new" content with this character.

This will keep me busy for quite some time. You don't have to enjoy the same stuff. Just please stop saying that it's been proven the stuff doesn't exist.

Ashodin

(OMG I MENTIONED WOW AS A POINT OF REFERENCE, SORRY IF IT HURTS YOUR FEELINGS).

Rather than quote your whole post, I figure I'd start here. Insults like that aren't exactly the way to keep discussion at a respectable level.

But regarding your other points (especially having other things to do), there are Legendaries to go after, other sets for other builds you could be getting, maxing out every crafting profession (becoming a self-sufficient moneymaker), and much more.

You only concern yourself with the dungeons and not the fact that Dynamic Events can be added to the game at any time. Plus there is the fact that WvW is a constant struggle. Walking in there should (and does) always feel like a back and forth war between other people.

Like I said much earlier in the thread, the game isn't even a month old yet. I do know there's supposedly a patch coming on the 24th.

I would wager ANet is going to add stuff to the game to satiate those who have been playing for quite a while.

TheYanger

Rather than quote your whole post, I figure I'd start here. Insults like that aren't exactly the way to keep discussion at a respectable level.

But regarding your other points (especially having other things to do), there are Legendaries to go after, other sets for other builds you could be getting, maxing out every crafting profession (becoming a self-sufficient moneymaker), and much more.

You only concern yourself with the dungeons and not the fact that Dynamic Events can be added to the game at any time. Plus there is the fact that WvW is a constant struggle. Walking in there should (and does) always feel like a back and forth war between other people.

Like I said much earlier in the thread, the game isn't even a month old yet. I do know there's supposedly a patch coming on the 24th.

I would wager ANet is going to add stuff to the game to satiate those who have been playing for quite a while.

You're right about one thing. The game is brand new and there's already nothing to do but grind dungeons endlessly.
Legendary weapons? grinding dungeons (and karma! and gold! sweet...)
Armor sets? grinding dungeons (Or karma or gold!)
Exploration? you do it once. Ever. It's done then.
WvW? Legit fun! queues are abyssmal though and causing just as many people to stop playing.

I mean Hawkian's list above is literally 3 or 4 things, extrapolated out into all of their individual components and then listed twice. "Get a piece of gear" "medium version: Get another piece of gear" "Long version: Get all the gear". To me that's just 'get gear' and since you 'get gear' from gold or dungeons that basically boils down to 'do dungeons'.

I'm not exactly sure why you guys are so unwilling to believe that maybe the devs should put more shit in the game to do besides grind, since it only benefits the players for them to do so, but whatever.

Look, dude, this is just silly. That's all there is for you to do. That has very little to do with me, and only fractions to do with other players.

I reached level 80 over the weekend. Here are things I plan to do.

Realistically, this is what you said, it's not a problem, but don't try to stretch it out.
100% world completion is 100% exploration. I don't think you can get it without it. Maybe a few zones. The world events repeat every 2-3 hours and are farmed by most players. Jumping puzzles are cool, don't let other people show you how to do them because you only get to do them once!

Keep in mind that legendary weapons are out of reach of most normal players, as it will take over 1500g and probably around a million karma if you get expected luck on the random things.

Short-term:
-Finish Plot (1-2days)
-Do 2 world events that last 5-10 minutes each, and are just spamming buttons, you cant fail them.

Medium-term
-Crafting
-Jumping Puzzles

Long-term
-Legendary Weapon
-100% The Map
-Do Dungeons/Get Gear/Gold
-Bug Developers
-PvP

You still have a lot to do, specifically with the gear part. If you were not one of the people who got rich off cooking, it will take a long time. I kinda wish I didn't.

Xiaoki

Looks like the honeymoon phase is starting to fade and the

"I have legitimate long term concerns about this game"
"YOU'RE A TROLL"

phase is picking up steam.

Ashodin

"YOU'RE A TROLL"

I don't mind discussing the legitimate concerns with the game. I do mind the excessive hyperbole about how grinds are in this game. It is as grindy as you make of it.

"YOU'RE A TROLL"

As long as people understand that the concerns do not undermine the rest of the game. GW2 is a beautiful, wonderful game that I love, but it's deeply flawed and needs to be fixed fast. I want to see myself playing the game months from now, but i fail to find something worth doing every time I log in right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I mean Hawkian's list above is literally 3 or 4 things
:-/ Ludicrous. Boil it down as bare as possible like LunaticHigh did and it's 8, I guess? And I consider my dye quest something seperate as that'll be a combination of TP sniping, farming, and crafting. And I don't look at my quest for gear as doing the same things since some of it's dungeon, some buyable like the Ebonhawke stuff, some I want Mystic, some I'll just buy straight on the TP. I also consider WvW and sPvP very distinct. So which are the 3-4?

Regardless it's still plenty of things to strive for and I enjoy playing it. If you're at the point where you don't, stop playing! You literally lose nothing, have no obligation to continue and can come back anytime.

I'm not exactly sure why you guys are so unwilling to believe that maybe the devs should put more shit in the game to do besides grind, since it only benefits the players for them to do so, but whatever.
This is just bizarre. Not only do I believe that, I believe it hard. Here, let me shout it. ArenaNet should put lots, and lots, more stuff to do in the game.

I don't know who would claim otherwise. If you review my posts I doubt you'd see me saying anything like "there's no reason for them to add more stuff to the game."
You still have a lot to do, specifically with the gear part. If you were not one of the people who got rich off cooking, it will take a long time. I kinda wish I didn't.
I did not. Doing so did not interest me, much for the reason you have highlighted here yourself.

edit: One more note. The primary thing I want ArenaNet to focus attention and resources on now is fixing bugged events. Especially in Orr, this stuff which would normally be very fun and interesting for me to participate in is just stagnant. This is of course a huge issue and should be addressed as quickly as possible.

TheYanger

I don't mind discussing the legitimate concerns with the game. I do mind the excessive hyperbole about how grinds are in this game. It is as grindy as you make of it.
holy crap. as i stated already, your choices Are grind or don't play at Max level to actually accomplish anything. its not ’as’ grindy as you make it. its just grindy if you choose to play at all past world completion. that's a grind too i might add (yeah puzzles are fun but make up little of exploration/completion)

Mikeside

Personally I'd recommend the Norn area. The Asura area wouldn't be bad if it weren't full of Asura.

I've tried Sylvari, Human and Norn characters and I put them in that order, from worst to best - I really didn't like the Sylvari starting area, the Human area was OK but I really love the Norn start.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
about to start up the game, havent decided on what race and class yet but i am wondering, what is the unofficial best starting area for a noob?
It's all about Metrica Province ;)

Bear in mind that, at level 1, you can easily get from your starting area to any other starting area in the game. So just pick the race you want.

Boogdud

I'm not exactly sure why you think they won't. Did you play the original at all?

What exactly would make you happy? Because all I see is you bellyaching and shitting up the thread with circular arguments and then getting on the cross when people tell you they enjoy things that you don't.

KingKong

holy crap. as i stated already, your choices Are grind or don't play at Max level to actually accomplish anything. its not ’as’ grindy as you make it. its just grindy if you choose to play at all past world completion. that's a grind too i might add (yeah puzzles are fun but make up little of exploration/completion)

There is WvW and sPvP and then the gear grind. What else would you like? I don't get it, you 'beat' the game, do you just want it to continue indefinitely?

scosher

You and Hawkian are defending every aspect of this game as if it's completely infallible.

For a game that prides itself for having no grind from 1-80, it seems completely contradictory to then throw a steep gear grind at level 80.

This original discussion was sparked because someone wanted to collect tokens for his dungeon set from any of the dungeons, so that he didn't have to run one dungeon ad nauseum to get his desired look. How is this a bad thing? Why are you spinning the current model of running one dungeon 50+ times as preferable? At least this way you can enjoy all that the game has to offer while still working toward your goal, rather than getting burnt out on a single content.

etiolate

Banned
There's a lot of stuff to do in the game. I'm at 218 hours and like 37% of the map. Many people hit 80 without seeing half the world.

You will eventually run out of things to do if you mass consume. You shouldn't have to be told that's when you should be smart enough to take a break.

Ashodin

You and Hawkian are defending every aspect of this game as if it's completely infallible.

For a game that prides itself for having no grind from 1-80, it seems completely contradictory to then throw a steep gear grind at level 80.

This original discussion was sparked because someone wanted to collect tokens for his dungeon set from any of the dungeons, so that he didn't have to run one dungeon ad nauseum to get his desired look. How is this a bad thing? Why are you spinning the current model of running one dungeon 50+ times as preferable? At least this way you can enjoy all that the game has to offer while still working toward your goal, rather than getting burnt out on a single content.

I'm saying it's not necessary unless you want the skins. Which is the truth.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm not exactly sure why you think they won't. Did you play the original at all?

What exactly would make you happy? Because all I see is you bellyaching and shitting up the thread with circular arguments and then getting on the cross when people tell you they enjoy things that you don't.
Um. He's making good points and just having a debate. People come in these threads all the time and shout "omg this game is so good" and leave, and no one bats an eye. Post a compelling negative criticism and people call you a troll or a whiner.

KingKong

lol guildhead

9ximc.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Look, I promise I am trying my best here; I want to encourage vigorous conversation and that includes everything, positive or negative, and I like it when more people participate rather than less.

But what you just said is nonsense. I am betting that if you combed my hundreds of posts about this game you wouldn't find a single one describing the game as "close to infallible."

Guild Wars 2 has numerous glaring, deep flaws and is not at all perfect. Allow me to name some.

-Does a very mediocre job explaining its mechanics. Tool tips are not adequate for the average player!
-Story and VA is all over the place, with the lows venturing into pretty awful territory
-Bugs in events and skill challenges, especially in areas that aren't obvious, bring the chain of fun to a halt
-WvW Queues put a damper on one of my favorite multiplayer experiences, and make it hard to coordinate large guild groups
-Your standard balance/tuning things that need to be addressed (I'm waiting to mess with my Necro until the consensus regarding them improves)

You're misinterpreting me defending this aspect of the game for defending all aspects of it. I just don't see there being much wrong with the way the dungeons and tokens work.

A little misleading even to call it a "gear grind." As TheYanger notes, it's not a lengthy process (he described it as "actually too easy") to get gear with max stats.

It's prestige gear that no one needs. Having it shows a level of dominance of that particular dungeon, especially if that is a dungeon known to be particularly difficult (I reference the sadness I experience when seeing a full CoF set, again, and look forward to the days when it is less common because the dungeon path has been buffed a bit).

And again, this 50+ times stuff is misleading too! You have to run it as many times as you have to run it to get the gear you want. Yes, if you want a full set of that dungeon's gear you have to run it that many times. If you don't you don't. It's completely unnecessary either way; I don't want it made any easier.

If anything, I want the process to make legendaries a little less costly. But then again, at the moment seeing one is a pretty awe-inspiring experience knowing how tough they are to get. So maybe it should stay the same.

Varna

Um. He's making good points and just having a debate. People come in these threads all the time and shout "omg this game is so good" and leave, and no one bats an eye. Post a compelling negative criticism and people call you a troll or a whiner.

There is a certain annoying element of that going on...

Somewhere in here I had a question about gear scaling... so every time I level up in a downscaled zone I actually get weaker? No one could tell me why this was a good thing.. but they sure as hell would defend it.

Einbroch

Banned
There is a certain annoying element of that going on...

Somewhere in here I had a question about gear scaling... so every time I level up in a downscaled zone I actually get weaker? No one could tell me why this was a good thing.. but they sure as hell would defend it.
Because if I'm level 80 and my gear is level 65, I should be punished for not having good gear for my level. The reason you should be punished is because you can get gear from these downleveled areas that are good for your level. Otherwise I wouldn't bother seeing higher level content and instead demolish low level content for the best gear.

If I'm level 80 and have 80 exotics, I'm going to be stronger than a level 35 in 35 masterwork gear, since at level 35 there aren't even exotics. So you still get an advantage, just not a "I'm 45 levels higher than you" advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom