• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will join to the complaim, I tried to do explorable CoF, but it was impossible the last part, were the asura is installing the bomb, takes more than it should, and the enemies hit harder than before, everyone is dead and still 30-20% left to finish that event.

I want the tokens for the armor set,I dont care about the money reward, I undertand the nerf for the money and lot. I guess will have to try to other paths, to see if they are as difficult as the "speed run one".

Guesong

hate this 'Forging the Pact' personal quest bug, you fight tons of enemies, and then the 2nd group won't move :|

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Have fun doing the quest like five times like I did! >_>

If only the bug didn't happen 30+ minutes into the quest...

kaioshade

And i just finished using winebottler to get this game running on my macbook Pro. A "native" mac port (It is a Cider port) should run better than my quick and dirty efforts with wine.

Vodh

Huh. Didn't expect this to happen, but GW2 did kill WoW, at least for me. Got a free 7 days 'come resub and buy MoP' offer from Blizz, downloaded WoW, played for a couple of minutes, and I can no longer bear this combat, way to static and superficially inflated with an unnecessary amount of skills... At least I don't have any kind of an urge to buy MoP now, yay! ;)

Arcteryx

I will join to the complaim, I tried to do explorable CoF, but it was impossible the last part, were the asura is installing the bomb, takes more than it should, and the enemies hit harder than before, everyone is dead and still 30-20% left to finish that event.

I want the tokens for the armor set,I dont care about the money reward, I undertand the nerf for the money and lot. I guess will have to try to other paths, to see if they are as difficult as the "speed run one".

You have to kite them around. Just speed boost around in a big circle in that room and you won't have any issues.

Also it sounds like(from the forum reply one of the devs gave) that there are reduced rewards(tokens, xp, gold) for doing the same story/explore path more than twice in a row.
You should not see any diminished returns unless you:
1) Run the same exact chain over twice in a row
2) Complete multiple dungeons in 30 minutes or less each.

Instead of fixing the dungeons that have issues(story mode CM, explore CoF) they are screwing the rewards for ALL dungeons. Can't say I'm a big fan of that.

I realize they added more enemies to CM story/buffed them a bit, but still it seems like they are sending a mixed message of "we want you to grind for gear, but we don't want you to farm"...wtf else are you supposed to do?

alright just entered the game world as a human and so did my friend, however i can not FIND him anywhere though we are standing on the same spot and are on the same server, what can i do to remedy this?

Ferrio

Banned
Has Anet said anything about not letting attacks hit through keep doors? It's beneficial to both sides, but it's really really stupid that your able to do it. Having a catapult behind your keep door spamming boulders to fend off attackers isn't how they should be used.

TheYanger

Has Anet said anything about not letting attacks hit through keep doors? It's beneficial to both sides, but it's really really stupid that your able to do it. Having a catapult behind your keep door spamming boulders to fend off attackers isn't how they should be used.

I'm not going to say it's not cheesy, but I AM going to say I don't get all the complaining this tactic gets. A) every server does it. B) it's EASILY dealt with. Do I like getting knocked 5 feet off the door? not really. But we still get the door down quickly and it barely makes a difference, they burn a bunch of supply on something that doesn't ACTUALLY kill anyone, so once the door is down we just annihilate the catas as we rush in. If you have extra supply sure that may not matter, but I think the vast majority of times a server would be better served turning those into ballistas or arrow carts for defense.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
alright just entered the game world as a human and so did my friend, however i can not FIND him anywhere though we are standing on the same spot and are on the same server, what can i do to remedy this?

If you're in a party...One of you is in the overflow server. Your minimap should tell you (if it says Overflow, that's you...Otherwise it's him). Whomever is NOT in the overflow needs to right click the OTHER player's character portrait and select join. It should teleport you to them.

FinKL

One may be in overflow.

Join the same party by inviting each other on the top left. Then once in the same party one of you need to right click the other party member's portrait and Join In Party/Instance/Server forgot the true name of it.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm not going to say it's not cheesy, but I AM going to say I don't get all the complaining this tactic gets. A) every server does it. B) it's EASILY dealt with. Do I like getting knocked 5 feet off the door? not really. But we still get the door down quickly and it barely makes a difference, they burn a bunch of supply on something that doesn't ACTUALLY kill anyone, so once the door is down we just annihilate the catas as we rush in. If you have extra supply sure that may not matter, but I think the vast majority of times a server would be better served turning those into ballistas or arrow carts for defense.

Ya I know it's defeatable, but like I said mechanics and realistic wise it's really really stupid.

One may be in overflow.

Join the same party by inviting each other on the top left. Then once in the same party one of you need to right click the other party member's portrait and Join In Party/Instance/Server forgot the true name of it.

actually we ARE in a party right now but our portraits are BLACK meaning we can't see the other person's faces is that normal? also i see nothing of "overflow" on either of our minimaps hmmm and when i right click my friends portrait on the top left corner it says "whisper", " kick from party ", "leave party" etc but no join or whatever

TheYanger

actually we ARE in a party right now but our portraits are BLACK meaning we can't see the other person's faces is that normal? also i see nothing of "overflow" on either of our minimaps hmmm and when i right click my friends portrait on the top left corner it says "whisper", " kick from party ", "leave party" etc but no join or whatever

You might not be able to do anything about separate instances during the opening mission. It doesn't even last 5 minutes if you just follow along.

LkPr

Has there been ANY comments on the Monthly Survivor achievement?! This is the last one I need for Sept and I don't know what I need to do/not do in order to get it... do i need to get all the experience in 1 session (meaning not logging off) or in one map, can I use waypoints/can I not use waypoints?!?! I'm sick of the experience accumulating and then stopping even though I don't die.

Concept17

I don't have the game yet, but I've been following this thread closely.

It seems like high end items require a fair amount of grinding rather than say, doing raids?

If so that is great for me. The idea of allowing a single person to get the item on their own (or mostly) is awesome, as I don't have time for things like 40 man raids.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm just surprised anyone would be enticed by that kind of grind (they're the same stats as any regular item, right?). I've been playing pretty regularly since launch, am almost 80, and my favorite thing is knowing that I still have 10 or so zones to go through from the charr starter area to pretty much everything in the Shiverpeaks.

massoluk

Banned
Holy shit, I feel like an idiot. I just realized at level 60 that I can deposit the raw material collection anywhere anytime. Fuck, all those times and materials wasted.

Nah bro, it's cool, the endgame is totally fun and it's totally optional! you can do that or you can sit in lion's arch.

/incoming GrindWars2 Defense Force.

Now this is the blatant trolling people were talking about earlier. Guess what, no subscription fee! So you can either quit until they add something your happy with or play what is offered now. I'm quite sure you've gotten your 60 dollars out of the game.

TheYanger

I don't have the game yet, but I've been following this thread closely.

It seems like high end items require a fair amount of grinding rather than say, doing raids?

If so that is great for me. The idea of allowing a single person to get the item on their own (or mostly) is awesome, as I don't have time for things like 40 man raids.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes and no. As noted, it's all just visual - you can get the best stats youw ant on the AH for minimal effort/investment.
You then grind for the legendaries and other visual upgrades, the issue people have isn't that it's solo, rather that it is the grinding equivalent of slamming your dick in a door.

Now this is the blatant trolling people were talking about earlier. Guess what, no subscription fee! So you can either quit until they add something your happy with or play what is offered now. I'm quite sure you've gotten your 60 dollars out of the game.

Ok, maybe my phrasing was too hard to understand since it's a legitimate concern about the game:
That grind is fucking retarded, and while I don't think legendaries should be 'free' I don't think it's reasonable for a set of armor to require 50+ dungeon runs of the same thing, or a legendary to require 50+ dungeon runs, 100% character completion, a jillion karma, 200 skill points, maxxed crafting, MONTHS of doing your daily and monthly quests for mystic coins, and then an indeterminate RANDOM grind at the mystic forge for bullshit leprachaun pieces. Oh and 250 of every max level crafting mat, just to throw some open world grinding in. And a ton of gold you could get a shitload of 'real life' money equivilent for. (I'm not saying gems to gold is a great conversion atm, but seriously that's like 1000 dollars worth of gold).

How's that then? I challenge anyone to say that is compelling content, and don't say 'it's optional' because EVERYTHING is optional in a game, it doesnt' mean it's reasonable.

Concept17

Yes and no. As noted, it's all just visual - you can get the best stats youw ant on the AH for minimal effort/investment.
You then grind for the legendaries and other visual upgrades, the issue people have isn't that it's solo, rather that it is the grinding equivalent of slamming your dick in a door.

I'm okay with this. Previous MMOs I've played were always ruined for me when others who had time to raid endlessly would always destroy me in PvP. I don't really care for my stats when it comes to PvE, as most my time in these games is spent playing against other people. In previous games that became more and more impossible as more and more raids kept coming out.

As for the grind, I'm okay with it. Having played games like AC and DAoC, grinds don't bother me, so long as its not required to compete in PvP. In a game like AC, I probably slaughtered millions of tuskers in the same dungeons over and over. :D

TheYanger

I'm okay with this. Previous MMOs I've played were always ruined for me when others who had time to raid endlessly would always destroy me in PvP. I don't really care for my stats when it comes to PvE, as most my time in these games is spent playing against other people. In previous games that became more and more impossible as more and more raids kept coming out.

As for the grind, I'm okay with it. Having played games like AC and DAoC, grinds don't bother me, so long as its not required to compete in PvP. In a game like AC, I probably slaughtered millions of tuskers in the same dungeons over and over. :D

Having played every MMO ever, I'm pretty sure this is a grind on the Lineage level of fuckassery. Nothing you did in DAoC or AC was ever that bad. It's also the entirety of the endgame content in the game (grinding for visuals, not necessarily grinding for legendaries, which are just the royale with cheese of grinds).

This kind of shit is why other games in the west have crashed and burned. They need to either put something else in to do, or tone it down. Who wants to devote months of real life time to getting ONE item. If you're saying 'the time to raid endlessly' I suspect you will absolutely never finish one of these weapons, so saying you're ok with the grind makes no sense. You'll never get one.

Ok, maybe my phrasing was too hard to understand since it's a legitimate concern about the game:
That grind is fucking retarded, and while I don't think legendaries should be 'free' I don't think it's reasonable for a set of armor to require 50+ dungeon runs of the same thing, or a legendary to require 50+ dungeon runs, 100% character completion, a jillion karma, 200 skill points, maxxed crafting, MONTHS of doing your daily and monthly quests for mystic coins, and then an indeterminate RANDOM grind at the mystic forge for bullshit leprachaun pieces. Oh and 250 of every max level crafting mat, just to throw some open world grinding in. And a ton of gold you could get a shitload of 'real life' money equivilent for. (I'm not saying gems to gold is a great conversion atm, but seriously that's like 1000 dollars worth of gold).

How's that then? I challenge anyone to say that is compelling content, and don't say 'it's optional' because EVERYTHING is optional in a game, it doesnt' mean it's reasonable.

I agree with you on the dungeon sets requiring too many runs(especially if they are going to penalize you for running the same one over and over), but the Legendary items I like being really hard to obtain. I think they are still hammering some stuff out at the end game which is why I am leveling my Charr Elementalist(already got my Ranger to 80), playing Borderlands 2 and getting ready for MoP. This is why I like the no sub fee because I don't feel I have to play to get my moneys worth.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yeah, I mean, I got 30 points in the HOM and I still look at that and think it's just sheer insanity.

That said I feel the end game solution is more so just adding in more dungeons/zones on a regular basis and treating it as a game people come back to every so often instead of playing 24/7 for those who don't like PvP.

TheYanger

Yeah, I mean, I got 30 points in the HOM and I still look at that and think it's just sheer insanity.

That said I feel the end game solution is more so just adding in more dungeons/zones on a regular basis and treating it as a game people come back to every so often instead of playing 24/7 for those who don't like PvP.

I would agree with that, but that means they need to make the stuff more reasonable to attain, not less. The strength of the game is that since there's no sub fee you should be able to log in and do the new stuff or accomplish something with relatively little time investment, and you can sustain that over a period of months and years. If they add a new dungeon with a new set that I have to run 70 times to get, I'm just going to log in, do it once, and say fuck it to the rest (as well as most of the userbase). If it was say, 15 runs or something or if you could do other dungeons to get it as well, you'd see people stick around more.

This stuff should be pretty basic for Anet to get: People are going to play MORE if there's stuff JUST in their reach, if it seems unreasonable they just won't bother.

I think people underestimate how many runs this stuff is. I think it's a given that I have played a LOT of WoW over the years. If I look at my statistics I can get a good idea of how many times I've done each dungeon for the last 4 years or so, and I can extrapolate back to what I did in past expansions easily enough. 50 dungeon runs is MORE than I've run most of the dungeons in the game ever, over 8 YEARS of playing it. I'm sure I'm close to a hundred for some of the oldest ones, but I've run shitloads of dungeons in the past two expansions and only ONE of them claims I've hit it 50 times. Most are in the 20/30 range, and at this point I can run them blindfolded and want to stab myself while doing it.

Now Anet wants you to run more than that to 'finish' a dungeon? double it if you want a legendary? And they want to piss on your parade if your group is capable of burning through it in 15 minutes? God forbid.
We haven't even gotten into weapons, just armor sets. Imagine you're a warrior that really likes the look of one dungeon's stuff, that's another 100+ runs to get your weapons (even if you want to pretend that you don't want them all from the same dungeon, 100+ runs cumulative when there are only like 8 dungeons in the game is pretty unreal). Pray to god you're an engineer and you only have 4 potential weapon skins to ever need.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would agree with that, but that means they need to make the stuff more reasonable to attain, not less. The strength of the game is that since there's no sub fee you should be able to log in and do the new stuff or accomplish something with relatively little time investment, and you can sustain that over a period of months and years. If they add a new dungeon with a new set that I have to run 70 times to get, I'm just going to log in, do it once, and say fuck it to the rest (as well as most of the userbase). If it was say, 15 runs or something or if you could do other dungeons to get it as well, you'd see people stick around more.

This stuff should be pretty basic for Anet to get: People are going to play MORE if there's stuff JUST in their reach, if it seems unreasonable they just won't bother.

I definitely agree with you there.

Deitus

Nah bro, it's cool, the endgame is totally fun and it's totally optional! you can do that or you can sit in lion's arch.

/incoming GrindWars2 Defense Force.

Shit like this is why people are on your case in this thread, not because you have criticisms of this game. You don't get to post "There's nothing to do in this game but grind, come at me bro." and then whine that you are being persecuted for having a different opinion.

But hey, if you were more interested in starting an argument than having a legitimate discussion, you are probably okay with the results.

Edit: As for your main point, I definitely agree that the ridiculous grind is dumb. I have no interest in running the same dungeon 500 times to get a full set of dungeon gear, and a legendary. I think absurd, mind numbing grind to keep you playing a game is dumb in every game. The difference is, I can safely ignore it in this game, run the dungeons as many times as I choose, and not really be missing out on anything but a weapon/armor skin.

Ferrio

Banned
This kind of shit is why other games in the west have crashed and burned. They need to either put something else in to do, or tone it down. Who wants to devote months of real life time to getting ONE item. If you're saying 'the time to raid endlessly' I suspect you will absolutely never finish one of these weapons, so saying you're ok with the grind makes no sense. You'll never get one.

Many people including me did in WoW, and then the item was made worthless. Least in GW a weapon is always relevant. These items take extreme amounts of work, but that's the POINT. What's the point of a prestige item that gives you NO benefits other than looks if it's easy and doesn't take ludicrous amount of time to get.

LkPr

Has there been ANY comments on the Monthly Survivor achievement?! This is the last one I need for Sept and I don't know what I need to do/not do in order to get it... do i need to get all the experience in 1 session (meaning not logging off) or in one map, can I use waypoints/can I not use waypoints?!?! I'm sick of the experience accumulating and then stopping even though I don't die.

Quoting for new page ... I have tried every where to get an answer for this... official Arenanet forums and I even issued a support ticket about this but no answers yet. Hoping the GAF community can help me out!!

inky

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon

so basically:

farm dungeon tokens
have lots of gold and time

Ok, this is just dumb. I'm behind working a bit for a weapon like this, but christ... This will take me like a year. Meh.

In other news, Ashodin, if you are there, sorry, had to run yesterday, I hope you still got my ori stuff :p (I'm Ashdawn btw).

Quoting for new page ... I have tried every where to get an answer for this... official Arenanet forums and I even issued a support ticket about this but no answers yet. Hoping the GAF community can help me out!!

I think that's correct. 1 area only, don't know about WPs, 1 session is a must, don't die (downs don't count). Just get to the highest level area you can manage and run events /explore/hearts. It's not that hard to get after level 50 or so.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Achievements should have just been used to purchase dungeon gear, with people being able to buy Achievements with real life cash.

I should be a game developer.

TheYanger

Many people including me did in WoW, and then the item was made worthless. Least in GW a weapon is always relevant. These items take extreme amounts of work, but that's the POINT. What's the point of a prestige item that gives you NO benefits other than looks if it's easy and doesn't take ludicrous amount of time to get.

There's a HUUUUUGE gradient between 'easy' and 'sell us your soul'.
The weapons are NOT difficult, they are a time sink. Big difference. Anet literally can just pick an amount of time for them to take, and for some reason they opted for '3 months of /played' when they could've done something reasonable like '2 weeks of /played'. Figure even the hardest of the hardcore isn't going to be able to get one of these for several months, where does that leave everyone else? Legitimately a year or more most likely. That's the most absurd grind possible. You can't just say 'it's ok they're prestige/visual items' when that describes full on every item in the game. Legendaries are just one step of them, but EVERY item is a grind, and every item is a prestige/visual item.

I wish everyone who plays this game has this type of mindset, but OCD is a terrible disease.

Some people want to play the game longer, and some people want to enjoy the time they spend doing it. Arenanet is making it very hard for those two goals to match up.

Ferrio

Banned
There's a HUUUUUGE gradient between 'easy' and 'sell us your soul'.
The weapons are NOT difficult, they are a time sink. Big difference. Anet literally can just pick an amount of time for them to take, and for some reason they opted for '3 months of /played' when they could've done something reasonable like '2 weeks of /played'. Figure even the hardest of the hardcore isn't going to be able to get one of these for several months, where does that leave everyone else? Legitimately a year or more most likely. That's the most absurd grind possible. You can't just say 'it's ok they're prestige/visual items' when that describes full on every item in the game. Legendaries are just one step of them, but EVERY item is a grind, and every item is a prestige/visual item.

But Thunderfury was a time sink too, there wasn't anything difficult about it. Maybe slightly more involved, but that's because WoW's PvE is more involved.. but both came down to extreme amounts of time and money. And with TF, a shit load of luck.

TheYanger

But Thunderfury was a time sink too, there wasn't anything difficult about it. Maybe slightly more involved, but that's because WoW's PvE is more involved.. but both came down to extreme amounts of time and money. And with TF, a shit load of luck.

Thunderfury took very little time investment. You're right, it took luck (they've since moved away from that. Thunderfury was 8 years ago) and the luck was stupid, but in reality all Thunderfury took was running MC until the bindngs dropped, which was an hour-two a week because of lockouts, and then your raid group had the mats or you bought them, and you did a little questline with a fun quest boss.

These aren't even remotely comparable, when we finally got bindings to drop for thunderfury, our MT had it completed within a couple hours of just gathering mats from the AH/guild bank.

WoW has never had grinds like this, even The Insane is easier. Everquest barely had grinds this bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom