• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalnos

Banned
But Thunderfury was a time sink too, there wasn't anything difficult about it. Maybe slightly more involved, but that's because WoW's PvE is more involved.. but both came down to extreme amounts of time and money. And with TF, a shit load of luck.

There was the grind/luck aspect for Thunderfury (bindings, ore) but at least you had to mostly clear two raids, one of which was moderately challenging for its time. I did like it when only 1-2 people on a server had an item rather than the label 'legendary' not meaning anything.

On another note, Thunderfury did become obsolete but IIRC some tanks were still using a decent way into TBC.

etiolate

Banned
Just saw that a mac client is coming.

With tha information, I will most certainly be picking this game up (I was probably going to get it anyways, but would much rather not have to boot into bootcamp to play)

With that said, if I were to buy the windows version, say this weekend, would I simply need to re-download the mac client when it is released, and switch over no problem?

Thanks, look forward to getting in the game!

I believe buying the PC version gives you the Mac version and that the Mac beta is available now.

Ferrio

Banned
Thunderfury took very little time investment. You're right, it took luck (they've since moved away from that. Thunderfury was 8 years ago) and the luck was stupid, but in reality all Thunderfury took was running MC until the bindngs dropped, which was an hour-two a week because of lockouts, and then your raid group had the mats or you bought them, and you did a little questline with a fun quest boss.

These aren't even remotely comparable, when we finally got bindings to drop for thunderfury, our MT had it completed within a couple hours of just gathering mats from the AH/guild bank.

WoW has never had grinds like this, even The Insane is easier. Everquest barely had grinds this bad.

You had a whole guild grinding for the item, of course it's going to take less time. Have 40+ people helping you get this item in GW2 and I bet it'll cut down the money/timesink.

That said, the item gives you no advantage in this game. Bitching that a vanity item is hard to get is ridiculous.

falastini

For as unique as Legendaries are, I'm fine with them being rare. I don't need to see 100 guys running around Lion's Arch with space swords.

etiolate

Banned
Quoting for new page ... I have tried every where to get an answer for this... official Arenanet forums and I even issued a support ticket about this but no answers yet. Hoping the GAF community can help me out!!

I don't really know. I got the monthly achievement and I'm pretty sure it wasn't in one zone and in one play session. Others have said that zoning or logging out reset it.

I think its just not working correctly across all accounts.

Arcteryx

For as unique as Legendaries are, I'm fine with them being rare. I don't need to see 100 guys running around Lion's Arch with space swords.

They aren't really "legendary" when people are going to be running around with them all over in a year or so(especially when some of the weapons only have one skin).

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

They aren't really "legendary" when people are going to be running around with them all over in a year or so(especially when some of the weapons only have one skin).

Well hopefully in a year they have an art designer come up with prettier carrots to dangle in front of players.

J0dy77

I just hit level 70 after solo grinding most of the game thus far and my enthusiasm is really starting to wane. It seems like the later zones aren't as fun as the earlier. I'm having a really hard time finding events. It's basically become go from one heart to the next, kill "x" until the bar fills and repeat. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Anyone?

Thunderfury took very little time investment. You're right, it took luck (they've since moved away from that. Thunderfury was 8 years ago) and the luck was stupid, but in reality all Thunderfury took was running MC until the bindngs dropped, which was an hour-two a week because of lockouts, and then your raid group had the mats or you bought them, and you did a little questline with a fun quest boss.

These aren't even remotely comparable, when we finally got bindings to drop for thunderfury, our MT had it completed within a couple hours of just gathering mats from the AH/guild bank.

WoW has never had grinds like this, even The Insane is easier. Everquest barely had grinds this bad.

Really? When MC first came out an hour or two a week? You are lien plain and simple. If you want to actually compare it, first you had to gear up for MC which took running UBRS and grinding mats to make crafted items. You then had to get 39 other people equally geared and then attempt to clear MC which did not go as fast as you are making it out to be. You also then needed extreme luck which could have netted you 10 of the same binding before you got the other half. I will bet you that someone in Guild Wars 2 gets a legendary weopon before the first Thunderfury was made. We are comparing launch date guild wars 2 to get legendary, to launch date WoW to get thunderfury.

Torraz

Really? When MC first came out an hour or two a week? You are lien plain and simple. If you want to actually compare it, first you had to gear up for MC which took running UBRS and grinding mats to make crafted items. You then had to get 39 other people equally geared and then attempt to clear MC which did not go as fast as you are making it out to be. You also then needed extreme luck which could have netted you 10 of the same binding before you got the other half. I will bet you that someone in Guild Wars 2 gets a legendary weopon before the first Thunderfury was made. We are comparing launch date guild wars 2 to get legendary, to launch date WoW to get thunderfury.

No you did not. The only remotely hard part of MC was ragnaros. You could easily drag 15-20 mouth breathers through the instance, depending on skill and equip of the well playing team.

PatzCU

At least thunderfury took more skill to obtain.

Thunderfury (and almost all the WoW legendaries) also required you to be in a guild that raids consistently and raid enough with that guild for your political alignment to put you in line for the legendary quest drops. For someone like myself, I simply don't have the time to put into the raiding and MMO guild social requirements to be in line for a legendary. As ridiculous of a grind as these GW2 legendaries seem to be, at least you don't have to be the most popular kid in an MMO guild to earn them.

No you did not. The only remotely hard part of MC was ragnaros. You could easily drag 15-20 mouth breathers through the instance, depending on skill and equip of the well playing team.

Yeah and part of the quest involved killing Ragnaros. So don't try to act like it was a cakewalk for you when you don't know what your talking about.

Rokam

Thunderfury wasn't introduced till the patch that brought BWL. By that time MC was already a snoozefest. The first Thunderfury was completed 8 days after the patch went live.

Thunderfury (and almost all the WoW legendaries) also required you to be in a guild that raids consistently and raid enough with that guild for your political alignment to put you in line for the legendary quest drops. For someone like myself, I simply don't have the time to put into the raiding and MMO guild social requirements to be in line for a legendary. As ridiculous of a grind as these GW2 legendaries seem to be, at least you don't have to be the most popular kid in an MMO guild to earn them.

Or the GM, Officer, or GM/Officer's GF :p.

Thunderfury wasn't introduced till the patch that brought BWL. By that time MC was already a snoozefest. The first Thunderfury was completed 8 days after the patch went live..

Do you have a link for this info, you realize Molten Core was a 1 week reset which would have required 1 guild to get both bindings to drop on the first run through after patch.

Torraz

Yeah and part of the quest involved killing Ragnaros. So don't try to act like it was a cakewalk for you when you don't know what your talking about.

Thunderfury wasn't introduced till the patch that brought BWL. By that time MC was already a snoozefest. The first Thunderfury was completed 8 days after the patch went live.

Or the GM, Officer, or GM/Officer's GF :p.

This. Thank you very much.

Razorgore and Vael blew everything in MC out of the water in terms of difficulty. Heck, that difficulty spike was the biggest inside BWL.

:edit: Never saw both bindings drop during the many post-thunderfury months we did MC in though... Only several of the same. I remember how our main tanks raged how they had to do BWL without it.

This. Thank you very much.

Razorgore and Vael blew everything in MC out of the water in terms of difficulty. Heck, that difficulty spike was the biggest inside BWL.

Vael was a DPS race and nothing more. Razorgore required totem kiting by shamans(not sure how alliance did it) But to get back on topic I was just pointing out the bad logic in TheYangers posts. These items are legendary and it doesn't matter if it is time investment or skill they should be difficult/long to acquire is what I was saying.

Quoting for new page ... I have tried every where to get an answer for this... official Arenanet forums and I even issued a support ticket about this but no answers yet. Hoping the GAF community can help me out!!

One session and in one area and yes it is fucking stupid. Find an area that's 10 levels above you and hunt for some dynamic events. Should get enough for the last tier (150k exp) within an hour or two.

Meh, nothing anything to note. They've acknowledged there's a queueing exploit, but otherwise it's deal with it or move to a lesser populated server.

What I want to see them address:
-Lag and phantom armies
-Matchmaking (because it will piss me off if we're stuck with HoD/JQ/ET from now on)
-Server balance

Rokam

Do you have a link for this info, you realize Molten Core was a 1 week reset which would have required 1 guild to get both bindings to drop on the first run through after patch.

Sure thing:
It's near the bottom. Notice the date.
http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/16397-WoW_world_first_list

And this is the patch that added BWL & the bindings. Release date on the side.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_1.6.0

Some random schmuck got super lucky. Sorry to derail thread just wanted to correct. Back to GW2 discussion.

Ferrio

Banned
What I want to see them address:
-Lag and phantom armies
-Matchmaking (because it will piss me off if we're stuck with HoD/JQ/ET from now on)
-Server balance

We're the #2 server in the game... why SHOULDN"T be be stuck with the best?

As for phantom armies that was something they changed awhile back, wonder if they'll ever undo that hotfix.

Sure thing:
It's near the bottom. Notice the date.
http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/16397-WoW_world_first_list

And this is the patch that added BWL & the bindings. Release date on the side.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_1.6.0

Some random schmuck got super lucky. Sorry to derail thread just wanted to correct. Back to GW2 discussion.

Are you sure it wasn't August 20th and that site just has the wrong date? From my research I just did for a few minutes all the posts about it are on August 20th. Like this one. This would at least make more sense as they would have run it around 5 times by then which is still extremely lucky.

http://www.guildchosen.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1124554282

pyrandes

Ill be looking to do CoF and HotW stories tonite, if any fine folk would like to join me :).

Otherwise, Ill be working out the last 2 levels.

KingKong

Quick question, how many quests do I have left in the personal story if I just did the attacking 4 boats one? My next quest is for level 80 but it doesnt sound like the end

Rokam

Are you sure it wasn't August 20th and that site just has the wrong date? From my research I just did for a few minutes all the posts about it are on August 20th. Like this one. This would at least make more sense as they would have run it around 5 times by then which is still extremely lucky.

http://www.guildchosen.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1124554282

Ah, well still that's quicker than GW2 legendary unless someone finishes this week correct?

Ferrio

Banned
Ah, well still that's quicker than GW2 legendary unless someone finishes this week correct?

You really can't compare it though, you HAVE to take the MC progress into account. It's like if they released these legendary recipes two months from now instead of at release, they were still getting all the items for it before the recipe was released.

Rokam

October 5th or 6th is when it would be equivalent from the release date. Headstart would be the 2nd or was it longer?

Yeah my math is bad, 2nd for headstart.

You really can't compare it though, you HAVE to take the MC progress into account. It's like if they released these legendary recipes two months from now instead of at release, they were still getting all the items for it before the recipe was released.

Fiery Cores could be farmed endlessly, by doing a soft reset and not killing any bosses. And Arcanite Bars just came down to how many people were alchemists on the server. Not saying it wouldn't take time, but lets say a guild didn't start raiding till the BWL patch, on a populated server they could gather all the crafting materials in a weeks time. But comparing these legendaries is like apples to oranges, one was a giant boost in raid performance and the other is mostly cosmetic.

We're the #2 server in the game... why SHOULDN"T be be stuck with the best?

Because I want some variety. For instance, Maguuma has all the goon guilds and I love playing against them.

Of course, server balance should be a priority, but who knows with Anet and their anti-farming agenda. *shrugs*

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think we'll be on for that, Hawkian, trin and I.

Hell yeah. I'm totally down.

I'm starting to think I'm going for Nightmare armor, so I'm going to need to start doing more Twilight Arbor exp for tokens.

TheYanger

bitch and a half to deal with quotes on my phone so apologies. trying to assign farm time of thunder fury to every single step of the process is so backwards it makes my head spin. every other "step" listed gives you other rewards. running mc got everyone in your raid items. progressing on rag was its own fun, and got you items. my point is, thunder fury was something you got as a BONUS to those activities. you were doing them anyway.

these legendary items are all consuming. i wouldn't run the dungeons 100 times otherwise, and if i did want to for something else.. .oops! the legendary used all those tokens. and gold. you can assign all of that effort directly to the item. you can't consider everything you listed as part poof thunder fury any more than i can count buying the came or leveling up as part pic the grind for the gw legendary items. you were doing those activities anyway so they are ancillary to the discussion.

bitch and a half to deal with quotes on my phone so apologies. trying to assign farm time of thunder fury to every single step of the process is so backwards it makes my head spin. every other "step" listed gives you other rewards. running mc got everyone in your raid items. progressing on rag was its own fun, and got you items. my point is, thunder fury was something you got as a BONUS to those activities. you were doing them anyway.

these legendary items are all consuming. i wouldn't run the dungeons 100 times otherwise, and if i did want to for something else.. .oops! the legendary used all those tokens. and gold. you can assign all of that effort directly to the item. you can't consider everything you listed as part poof thunder fury any more than i can count buying the came or leveling up as part pic the grind for the gw legendary items. you were doing those activities anyway so they are ancillary to the discussion.

Where do you see that you even have to run dungeons to get a legendary. This list from reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ztzr1/how_to_craft_a_legendary_a_complete_guide/ has nothing to do with dungeons.

Edit: Now I see step 2 has a Gift from dungeon tokens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom