• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kem0sabe

Can anyone confirm the start hour of the head start for Europe GMT? I´m working tomorrow but i can easily skip for an hour to create a few characters and reserve their names.

jbortz78

Can anyone confirm the start hour of the head start for Europe GMT? I´m working tomorrow but i can easily skip for an hour to create a few characters and reserve their names.

I use gw2status.com as a ref, so in EU GMT: 07:00 (could be up to 3 hours earlier).

squidyj

So, whats everyones plan for first few hours? Pve? Wvwvw? Pvp?

Im thinking of just leveling abit, exploring, getting a decent lvl, 10+ and getting most of the weapon skills, then heading off for wvwvw.

score my character names then level my warrior for a while.

mik83kuu

Banned

It's Saturday morning 07:00 GTM for the head start, but it could go up three hours earlier at 04:00 GMT. Of course you need to know your country's relation to GMT :) Finland for example is GTM+3 so here it'll be 10:00 in the Saturday morning or 07:00 if everything goes as planned and the servers actually start 3 hours early.

Well, I ordered a physical copy last night (downloading 14 gigabytes of stuff is not my idea of fun, and I'm not gonna get a chance to play until late next week anyway). Thanks for answering my questions!

I guess I'll try to join the server Euro-GAF is on when I get started!

There's no weird semi-malware background patch redistribution thingy with this like Star Trek Online (Pando Media Booster), right?

Wallach

Well, I ordered a physical copy last night (downloading 14 gigabytes of stuff is not my idea of fun, and I'm not gonna get a chance to play until late next week anyway). Thanks for answering my questions!

I guess I'll try to join the server Euro-GAF is on when I get started!

There's no weird semi-malware background patch redistribution thingy with this like Star Trek Online, right?

Didn't STO use Pando or something like LotRO's installer did? Pando is grimy. Anyway GW2 has a custom installer and patches through its own launcher.

Aeana

I really don't like how the names are global so there's a much, much lower chance of me getting my names. Especially since I don't think I'll be able to get on the second the headstart begins. :

Kem0sabe

It's Saturday morning 07:00 GTM for the head start, but it could go up three hours earlier at 04:00 GMT. Of course you need to know your country's relation to GMT :) Finland for example is GTM+3 so here it'll be 10:00 in the Saturday morning or 07:00 if everything goes as planned and the servers actually start 3 hours early.

Ah, i thought it was Friday and not Saturday. I´m at GMT-1 so the head start could be as early as 3AM... should i even sleep? lol

Nyx

I really don't like how the names are global so there's a much, much lower chance of me getting my names. Especially since I don't think I'll be able to get on the second the headstart begins. :

Aye, my preferred name is pretty popular so probably already taken when I log in for the first time.

Luckily I have a backup name which was unique in WoW, that will do. :)

Herla

The trick is to think of last names, you'll also look cooler that way.

I'll only roll an Tree Thief if a certain name is available, if it isn't I'll try the Celtic/Irish version of it (if it's true that the tree people names are based on that anyway).

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Really curious about this game, but don't know that much about it. Is it like Guild Wars 1 where you're actually only playing with other people in cities, and not out on the fields like regular mmo:s?

Nyx

Really curious about this game, but don't know that much about it. Is it like Guild Wars 1 where you're actually only playing with other people in cities, and not out on the fields like regular mmo:s?

It's like regular MMO's now.

Wunder

! Somehow missed the OT going up. Rolling with the Giantbomb Guild at launch but hope to guest and join the GAF guild whenever that is implemented! GET HYPE

PewPewK

! Somehow missed the OT going up. Rolling with the Giantbomb Guild at launch but hope to guest and join the GAF guild whenever that is implemented! GET HYPE

Well considering how you can be in multiple guilds at once even cross home worlds, you can join both at pretty much the same time!

Ryan_

Is there a GAF Guild still active in GW1? Trying to get my last HOM points and perhaps it
could be fun to team up with people that are trying to do the same.

IGN: Nymeria Kaine

I know this is subjective but how "fun" is to play a Warrior vs Thief? I'm talking strictly PvP

I found Druid and Rogue PvP in WoW most fun, what comes close in GW2?

Damn can't decide what to play :( I'm considering Engie, Elementalist, Warrior and Thief.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I can't for the life of me decide my race and class for the game D:

It's either going to be Ranger or Thief, and I'm torn between Human, Charr and Norn for the race.

GAF, sell your favorites from above to me!

Kem0sabe

I´ve decided to play with my brother and his guild over at Seaferer’s Rest, but i read above that it´s possible to belong to more than one guild. I would like to be able to join EU GAF and my brothers guild, is that even possible?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I´ve decided to play with my brother and his guild over at Seaferer’s Rest, but i read above that it´s possible to belong to more than one guild. I would like to be able to join EU GAF and my brothers guild, is that even possible?

Yes you can! :)

GAF guild is global NA/EU

Vinci

Danish

Either use it as a first or last name, and include another name for two. I don't have too much trouble with them doing it considering the guesting feature. If a name is very popular and people are guesting onto a server, who are you messaging when you hit '/tell _____'?

It creates complications that this method avoids.

Orayn

Yep, you can belong to as many as you want. Only one can be active a a time, but all it takes to switch is going to the guild menu to stand down in one and represent another.

Kem0sabe

Yes you can! :)

GAF guild is global NA/EU

Yep, you can belong to as many as you want. Only one can be active a a time, but all it takes to switch is going to the guild menu to stand down in one and represent another.

Nice. Do i have access to the guild chat of both guilds even when not representing? Would like to pvp mainly with my brother but guest with GAF during downtime.

Ah, thats really cool to know, means I can join my friends guild but still represent Gaf when needs must.

ParityBit

Question about reserving names. People are saying they will log in and make "temp" toons with the names. how does that work? When you delete to make the real toon, does it save the name to your account or some such?

If so I am assuming your real toon does not need to be the same race/class as the temp?

Question about reserving names. People are saying they will log in and make "temp" toons with the names. how does that work? When you delete to make the real toon, does it save the name to your account or some such?

If so I am assuming your real toon does not need to be the same race/class as the temp?

24 hour hold on the name once deleted.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag

I assume they just mean that they keep the name reserved with their temp toon and then it's free for like 5 seconds once they delete the temp and make a real toon, allowing them to grab the name.

EDIT: I stand corrected, 24 hour hold it seems.

BrettWeir

I assume they just mean that they keep the name reserved with their temp toon and then it's free for like 5 seconds once they delete the temp and make a real toon, allowing them to grab the name.

EDIT: I stand corrected, 24 hour hold it seems.

Quoting the famous Chris Farley saying from Billy Madison "That is correct.". /takes off shirt.

Souljiro

Of all weeks I would have to do volunteer work this weekend good thing I don't have a popular characters names I would be screwed unless I stayed up until the servers go live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom