• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
7BC76784F0ECE2A86E6D150BE96BA603D985B7ED

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I just hope there isn't a lot of grinding. That's one thing that I think keeps me away from MMO-style games, the others being bad computers (eh, still mediocre) and no solid group to play with (at least this time I have roommates to play with, if I get it).

I really don't want to grind and farm. Are my fears all-for-naught?

The M.O.B

I just hope there isn't a lot of grinding. That's one thing that I think keeps me away from MMO-style games, the others being bad computers (eh, still mediocre) and no solid group to play with (at least this time I have roommates to play with, if I get it).

• Leveling Curve – There’s no exponential curve. Leveling is linear and plateaus quickly. The amount of time it takes to go from 79-80 is the same as 30-31. Grind is nonexistent, with the amount of various ways you can level through any activity.

markot

Banned
So, whats everyones plan for first few hours? Pve? Wvwvw? Pvp?

Im thinking of just leveling abit, exploring, getting a decent lvl, 10+ and getting most of the weapon skills, then heading off for wvwvw.

Emitan

Im thinking of just leveling abit, exploring, getting a decent lvl, 10+ and getting most of the weapon, then heading off for wvwvw.

Creating my Guardian and Ele and hopping in WvWvW with the Ele.

Nekrono

I've heard that this game's performance is pretty bad, is this true? I'm looking forward to running the game at 1080p and hoping to max out everything.

I'm running a:

i5 2500k
4GB RAM
Radeon 6950

markot

Banned
I am really excited for gw2, but one thing I really hate, is the resource collection shit >.< having to have all the correct tools for collecting shit... fehhhhhhhh.

Ive got an identical system nekrono, well with 2more gb, but mine ran well at 1200 maxed most of the time.

I've heard that this game's performance is pretty bad, is this true?
It's not that it's bad, it's just completely random, depending in your CPU, your GPU, your internet connection, your Chinese star sign and your Pokémon type.

I am really excited for gw2, but one thing I really hate, is the resource collection shit >.< having to have all the correct tools for collecting shit... fehhhhhhhh.
There are only three different types. You'll get used to it in no time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Seriously All of These Things Can Get You XP in Guild Wars 2
Renown Hearts (closest thing GW2 has to traditional questing)
Dynamic/Meta Events- sometimes following an event chain will net you enough for well over an entire level's worth of XP if you follow it through.
World versus World- leveling up in PvP...? Yup. Every beneficial action you perform in WvW- killing enemy players, securing supply lines, capturing or defending a keep, all of it gets you XP.
Dungeons- replayable, can be done in either story or explorable mode, always with lots of XP
Personal Storyline- each storyline quest gets you a big ol' chunk of XP
Skill Challenges
Vistas
Daily Achievements- a set of things you can do once every day for a bunch of extra XP. I didn't know about this in time for any of the betas/stress tests, and still got enough XP from other stuff to get to ~level 20 without repeating a single event/heart, so this blew my mind.
Hidden Achievements- things like completing jumping puzzles, for instance, often get you an achievement, and those achievements get you XP.
Exploration- yes. literally JUST the exploration itself gets you XP. Go to an area you've never been before and poke around = XP. This includes cities, many of which are totally massive and have plenty of incentive to explore besides the XP. But you get it anyway.
Reviving players- taking some notes from TF2 on this one... reviving a downed player gets you more XP than killing ~10 of your average mob. Mmmm, incentivizing teamwork.
Gathering
Crafting/Cooking
oh and
Killing things- yeah, it gets you XP. But just because they couldn't even let this basic concept go without doing something awesome, allow me to explain the concept of Bonus XP: the longer a given mob has been alive in the gameworld, the more XP it is worth above baseline (you'll see a popup of Bonus XP +Whatever when you kill it). So if you go way off the beaten path to a totally unpopulated wilderness area, chances are the stuff you kill will be worth substantially more XP. Plus you can guess the relative age of creatures by how much bonus XP they're worth.

Retne

I've heard that this game's performance is pretty bad, is this true? I'm looking forward to running the game at 1080p and hoping to max out everything.

I'm running a:

i5 2500k
4GB RAM
Radeon 6950

What's your 2500K running at? Chances are you'll be able to get 45-50 fps solid outside of huge WvW zergs with that setup. I haven't played the latest test though so it may be even better. The performance has been a little all over the place between the different tests.

Emitan

And pretty much every vendor in the game has them. There's not repairing them constantly either or similar shenanigans.

Yeah. Plus they have 50 uses which is plenty.

Does gathering at a node only use it once even if you "mine" it multiple times like with ore?

Nymerio

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already but: If I prepurchased and registered my code am I all set, or will I have to register another code to play come release?

Retne

Yeah. Plus they have 50 uses which is plenty.

Does gathering at a node only use it once even if you "mine" it multiple times like with ore?

Food items only use 1 charge. Wood and Ore take 3 charges. There are some minor variables on the wood and ore but they are negligible for the most part.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already but: If I prepurchased and registered my code am I all set, or will I have to register another code to play come release?

You're good. Come Friday night/Saturday morning you'll be able to log in and play!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This stress test:

cZ8fx.jpg

If my eyesight is failing me, and I hope it isn't, it looks like the moss is growing on the tree bark away from the sunlight. A nice little nod to realistic flora there.

I remember playing in that first Beta Weekend and thinking that the game was not that great looking and now I can remember why I thought that. Looks amazing now and its only going to get better!

I didn't head in to the Grove in BWE3 but the previous stress test I put all the graphics down to the lowest setting and ran down in to it with a Sylvari. Was impressed at the designs. This stress test I did the same thing but with everything at max. It was intensely beautiful.

I can only begin to imagine how impressed I will be when I go through all the Norn PVE stuff I did in BWE1. I loved the aesthetics of it all in those areas so I'm hoping to adore those zones even more on Saturday.

Nyx

Whoo hoo, paycheck arrived, digital edition pre-purchased (again, stupid me bought a cheap version earlier, which turned out to be illegal), prof chosen, go go headstart!

jbortz78

Im thinking of just leveling abit, exploring, getting a decent lvl, 10+ and getting most of the weapon skills, then heading off for wvwvw.

Same as you I think, lvl to 10+, get used to my necro and bindings (Im a lefty so always have to remap), do some pve, look for dynamic events, and then try some wvwvw.

Only gripe is that the headstart is saturday morning in Sweden and not friday night but...

Violet_0

Banned
please tell me that someone on the internet took screenshots of the new hairstyles (most importantly, did the Asura get anything?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom