• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complistic

I just checked the name I want in the online HOM thing and the HOM doesn't even recognize them so I don't think they have it reserved for GW2.

Napophis

Got my 2nd GTX580 back from RMA yesterdays, just installed it. I'm ready to go!

Please tell me the game takes advantage of SLI!

"I just checked the name I want in the online HOM thing and the HOM doesn't even recognize them so I don't think they have it reserved for GW2."

I just checked and I'm pretty sure they're just having some server issues currently, my GW1 character name loaded up just fine before but is currently not.

squall23

I'm in Hong Kong right now so 3 day head start is at 3 pm Saturday (or 12 pm if the servers actually are going to start that early). Enjoy losing your sleep guys.

Complistic

"I just checked the name I want in the online HOM thing and the HOM doesn't even recognize them so I don't think they have it reserved for GW2."

I just checked and I'm pretty sure they're just having some server issues currently, my GW1 character name loaded up just fine before but is currently not.

Oh this is something different. You're right it's down now, but it was working earlier when I checked. It doesn't for sure mean whoever has that name isn't playing GW2, but my odds just went way up.

Also does anyone know how to get your HOM stuff? Did I miss that somewhere?

Wag

Anyone pre-order the retail edition from Amazon get the 3-day headstart code? I got a beta code a while back, is that the same?

"Also does anyone know how to get your HOM stuff? Did I miss that somewhere?"

They put an article up on it just yesterday. When you create a character you'll get a special item that allows you to
teleport to the EotN where you'll talk to that GW1 EotN dude (name escapes me) in ghost form, who will then allow you to pickup whatever items you've earned

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/claiming-your-hall-of-monuments-rewards/

Spoiler tags because some are very anal about that kind of thing and want to experience it first hand.

zlatko

Banned
Saw a page back the mappings for controllers. Is playing on pad done well for this game? I'm not sure if is implemented in game, or if people are using 3rd party software to go about it.

cripterion

Nvidia's really slacking.

When I was on the other side, it seemed the goold ol' green boys were always pushing driver updates, beating AMD/ATI to the punch but somehow, someway, now that I'm a proud owner of a GTX670 (it's a great card) they don't keep coming the driver updates and even have annoying issues that take time to fix (Vsync in mind).

And how long has it been since their forums are down? Like 2 months or so? tskkk...

Was really hoping they'd have something for us, considering they're promoting GW2...

ParityBit

Lame that Amazon Prime is shipping mine USPS. They've never done that before.:(

Mine has not even shipped so I have no idea what they are sending mine as. I got the CE, but of course I will be travelling for work this week so I have to get my wife to open the box and give me the code. I wont be back until Friday and I do not know how long I have to put in the REAL code.

"How important is loot? I love loot and want there to be super rare items and lots of customization and legendaries and all that good stuff."

Not very. There are super rare items and legendaries (especially with crafting) but those are mostly going to be for super spiffy cosmetic appeal.

v0mitg0d

I'm so so close to playing this game, but I've got a few questions I hope can be answered.

1) As of now I'm mainly interested in the Ranger and Engineer class. What would be the suggested races to play these classes?

2) How is this game not like traditional MMOs? Are there dungeons (instances)? Are there tools in the game to assist players find other players for dungeons? Are there areas where it's not really populated by other players?

3) Does anyone know how they make money since there's no monthly fee?

4) How well supported was GW1 since there is no monthly fee?

5) What would you say are the two worst aspects of the game?

Thanks in advanced! :)

Jira

How important is loot? I love loot and want there to be super rare items and lots of customization and legendaries and all that good stuff.

Oh there is. The big difference here is the stats on loot don't keep increasing over and over. Instead you're looking for new awesome skins. Single Legendary Weapons will take hundreds of hours to acquire one of four parts to craft it.

How important is loot? I love loot and want there to be super rare items and lots of customization and legendaries and all that good stuff.

There is tons of loot, but all loot maxes out at levle 80, so you wont be able to get anything more powerful then anyone else, but you sure can get something that looks really cool and very few people have.

Wag

Mine has not even shipped so I have no idea what they are sending mine as. I got the CE, but of course I will be travelling for work this week so I have to get my wife to open the box and give me the code. I wont be back until Friday and I do not know how long I have to put in the REAL code.
If you shipped Amazon Prime or day/date release they should be shipping any time now. I would bet they ship USPS shipping for you as well. Slow as hell.

So does the pre-release/beta code only last for the duration of the 3-day early start and then come Tues we need to put in another retail code?

W1SSY

I'm so so close to playing this game, but I've got a few questions I hope can be answered.

1) As of now I'm mainly interested in the Ranger and Engineer class. What would be the suggested races to play these classes?

2) How is this game not like traditional MMOs? Are there dungeons (instances)? Are there tools in the game to assist players find other players for dungeons? Are there areas where it's not really populated by other players?

I can answer some question. I am sure others will be able to fill in more.
1. Really race does not matter much so you could pick any that you want. Races get a special skill but from what I have read it really does not make or break a class.

3. They make money by have an in-game store that sells mini pets and other things that are not going to give people any real advantage. It is not like you can buy better amor or weapons with real money it is basically to change your looks. They also sell extra storage space and character slots.

4. GW1 was supported real well for something that had no monthly fee. For GW1 the main way of making money was they released expansions and in the end had a store to buy character slots and unlock skills for PvP.

5. For me the worst aspect are that this is must first "real" MMO so the cities are much more complex and I find myself struggling to navigate around but that is something that will change with time because I can learn more about the locations.

Coolwhip

Banned
There is tons of loot, but all loot maxes out at levle 80, so you wont be able to get anything more powerful then anyone else, but you sure can get something that looks really cool and very few people have.

Really? I didn't know that. I hope Arenanet realises loot keeps a lot of people playing.

Jira

1. No racial advantages, play what you want.

2. Did you not read the OT at all? Yes there's dungeons, yes look in the contacts list. No one can really answer that.

3. Box sales, Gem shop, expansion sales. The store in GW1 has made them a lot more money than people think it has, enough to start development of GW2. Their website sales have been enough to pay for the development of GW2 and it's not even out yet.

4. Very well supported. They pumped out entire new campaigns in 6 months along with free content updates with a very small team over 2 years. To this day, GW1 has got a patch every single month since release (7 years). Today their team is 8x larger than it was in 07 and they're splitting their 280+ team down the middle, one for live content and one for expansions.

5. Servers aren't up and I'm not playing.

Arksy

Really? I didn't know that. I hope Arenanet realises loot keeps a lot of people playing.

Yeah but so does having fun and there is a tonne of loot it's just not an increase in power. It's the way Guild Wars 1 worked. You work hard and get gear that looks a lot better but isn't actually more powerful. There are many loot games out there, this isn't really one of them. You keep going because there's lots to do and see and experience. WvW is never going to get dull, neither is sPVP. Zones have over 100 dynamic events and it's going to take a while to see the full extent of those. Same with explorable mode dungeons. ArenaNet hopefully will be fairly diligent with their updates and they will be monitoring the community closely to see if they're getting bored or not.

1) Mechanically, no suggested race. Everything is as good as everything else.

2) Requires registration to view, but honestly gives the best rundown of how it is not like traditional MMOs.

3) After initial sales, microtransactions and expansions.

4) Very well. Continual expansions, free extra content, and new events and themed quests every holiday.

5) Will have to think about this. I'm on the kool-aide.

J0dy77

This was my biggest gripe with the first game. The rewards never felt great enough, just minimally helpful. But there seems to be enough going on in GW2 to keep me interested.

arimanius

So I found this list on another site that compared gw2 classes to other games classes. That had the Guardian being like the Warrior Priest from War.

Is that an accurate comparison? The only healing class I ever liked playing was the Warrior Priest.

LProtag

So I found this list on another site that compared gw2 classes to other games classes. That had the Guardian being like the Warrior Priest from War.

Is that an accurate comparison? The only healing class I ever liked playing was the Warrior Priest.

Do you have a link to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom