• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Audίoboxer;41366619 said:
Did ArenaNet add a lot to GW1 besides the expansions? Interested to see how they change the vanilla game going forward to GW2.

Hope they don't hold back everything for the expansions (which I will buy if I like the game).

Not a whole lot. Early on they added an elite dungeon of sorts for the first campaign. The later campaigns got those included. Added some "beyond" content (questlines) later in the game's life. Most everything that wasn't an event or a rebalance came in an expansion. I don't think GW2 will be too much like that.

Edit: They did add a couple heroes (or tweaked hero related stuff) periodically after Nightfall.

Jira

Audίoboxer;41366619 said:
Did ArenaNet add a lot to GW1 besides the expansions? Interested to see how they change the vanilla game going forward to GW2.

Hope they don't hold back everything for the expansions (which I will buy if I like the game).

Yep, they did some big content patches and holiday stuff with a very small team at the time. Really they had to put out content patches and work on expansions at the same time with a very small team (30) between prophecies and factions. They only worked on GW1 for 2 years before starting GW2 and really didn't have the team size to do everything they wanted. With GW2 they have every intention of giving us tons of free content, holidays stuff, etc between expansions. They've said they'll just drop content into the game without telling us. Their goal is to have the best supported game in gaming as they see an MMO as service and not a game. Good thing is now their team is ~280+ and they're splitting them for a live content team and an expansion team.

PaulLFC

Both. The disc should install most of the game, and give you a client. Open the client, and you'll be downloading the last minute patches that came out after the game went "gold".

You should be able to stop the download right now and not lose any progress anyway, although the progress bar won't reflect it. Emphasis on "should".

For you code, go to register.guildwars2.com

https://register.guildwars2.com/

That's the link to register your early access code. I'm not 100% sure but installing via disc should be fine to, though I'd register the early access code first
Thanks :) I'll register the early access code and then install from the disc.

Teknoman

"WvW has no story tied to it right? Its just fun 3 way battles?"

Correct, though there are overall server bonuses you gain during the entire 2-week (initially 24-hour) campaign.

Cool, guess i'll be mostly involved in that and PvE with the guild.

Yep, they did some big content patches and holiday stuff with a very small team at the time. With GW2 they have every intention of giving us tons of free content, holidays stuff, etc between expansions. They've said they'll just drop content into the game without telling us. Their goal is to have the best supported game in gaming as they see an MMO as service and not a game.

I support this 100%. Bringing up FFXIV and their Meteor(Dalamud) story, nothing is better than content being added without being told. Makes things feel that much more adventurous.

There is story.

When you take over a castle,
your princess is in another castle

Guess we've got our work cut out :p

boosh5

Banned
Alright, I am this close to cancelling my amazon preorder as I still haven't received my code. If I order directly from the GW2 site today, are they still giving early access codes?

ParityBit

Alright, I am this close to cancelling my amazon preorder as I still haven't received my code. If I order directly from the GW2 site today, are they still giving early access codes?

Call Amazon. Or have them call you. They have awesome customer service and will help you.

I'm a bit scared now. I downloaded up to 2% and had to close the client and reopen it. It seemed to start downloading from the beginning again.

I now have the download at 10% and will probably have to move the laptop soon. Will closing it restart the download again?

Levyne

Banned
I'm a bit scared now. I downloaded up to 2% and had to close the client and reopen it. It seemed to start downloading from the beginning again.

I now have the download at 10% and will probably have to move the laptop soon. Will closing it restart the download again?

No, it's fine. The counter just goes back to zero, the files should be fine.

bestami

So to clarify, do i have to type in the easrly access code to somewhere ? I bought GW2 2 days ago but didn't do anything else with the account as i assumed all i had to do was buy the game for early access.

You're fine, the client shows it restarting but if you check the .DAT file, you'll notice that its doesn't get erased, rather it continues to get bigger.

So to clarify, do i have to type in the easrly access code to somewhere ? I bought GW2 2 days ago but didn't do anything else with the account as i assumed all i had to do was buy the game for early access.

https://register.guildwars2.com/ Register your code there

Aeana

It doesn't start over. You should notice that the file count went down, because it's ignoring the files you already downloaded. It's totally fine to close and reopen the downloader however many times you want.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'll be living vicariously through all you guys once it goes live.

It'll be at least Tuesday night before I get my hands on this.

Kimaka

This is ridiculous. I had a dream about being unable to log into GW2 at launch then having all my names taken. Out of panic, I've created a script that allows me to paste in names faster. This wait is making me act crazy.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
This is ridiculous. I had a dream about being unable to log into GW2 at launch then having all my names taken. Out of panic, I've created a script that allows me to paste in names faster. This wait is making me act crazy.

You are to invested in this game, go do something else. =p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hype hype hype. Work until 5:30, and then the waiting game begins!

Also, god damn, Fear Not This Night is awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Never played an MMO before, GW2 looks cool. What do I need to know? What is the difference of playing an MMO as opposed to an RPG?

Well, GW2 is not like most MMOs, so don't bother trying to figure out MMO conventions. Just explore the world, play with gaffers, and have a good time. You'll figure it out. :)

Mothman91

Fuck, I thought they were trying to open the servers at 12 am ET and maybe opening it 3 hours earlier. I got it all confused up earlier....damn. I don't like how they go by west coast.

thetrin

Fuck, I thought they were trying to open the servers at 12 am ET and maybe opening it 3 hours earlier. I got it all confused up earlier....damn. I don't like how they go by west coast.

Well, they are ON the west coast, so of course they go by west coast.

Hype hype hype. Work until 5:30, and then the waiting game begins!

Also, god damn, Fear Not This Night is awesome.

Giving it a listen now--

My...my god...

tumblr_m7ph0iPDRl1r91bgy.gif

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. I don't remember registering an early access code. If I could play in the Betas and Stress Tests I should be good to go?

thetrin

Giving it a listen now--

My...my god...

tumblr_m7ph0iPDRl1r91bgy.gif

Spot on reaction.

I'm weirdly emotional about music, and plenty of songs make me tear up for like, no reason. This is one of those songs.

Hmm. I don't remember registering an early access code. If I could play in the Betas and Stress Tests I should be good to go?

Were you able to play in the last 3 stress tests? If so, you're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom