• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh there is. The big difference here is the stats on loot don't keep increasing over and over. Instead you're looking for new awesome skins. Single Legendary Weapons will take hundreds of hours to acquire one of four parts to craft it.

Speaking of the stat peices(the name of them are blinking on me, the things that go in your gears upgrade slots) will there be rare versions of those? Or are the ones in sPvP basically the top tier?

ParityBit

If you shipped Amazon Prime or day/date release they should be shipping any time now. I would bet they ship USPS shipping for you as well. Slow as hell.

So does the pre-release/beta code only last for the duration of the 3-day early start and then come Tues we need to put in another retail code?

I thought we had the 3 day period and then another 5 after or so? Someone else have a comment on this?

So I found this list on another site that compared gw2 classes to other games classes. That had the Guardian being like the Warrior Priest from War.

Is that an accurate comparison? The only healing class I ever liked playing was the Warrior Priest.

Guardian is like Paladin in WoW IMO.

Jira

Speaking of the stat peices(the name of them are blinking on me, the things that go in your gears upgrade slots) will there be rare versions of those? Or are the ones in sPvP basically the top tier?

That's a good question. That we know of there's a couple tiers of Runes and such, can't check the wiki atm since it's down but to answer your question I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really? I didn't know that. I hope Arenanet realises loot keeps a lot of people playing.
I find it ludicrous that ArenaNet wouldn't have considered the concept you're talking about.

There's tons of loot in this game, and plenty of it is awesome. The key point is that statistically advantageous loot is no longer a part of the equation at endgame. Once you reach a certain point, you WILL have max damage weapons/max defense armor and will not be looking to vertically increase your stats. Instead, the quest for loot continues a la:

1) Horizontal progression (find loot with stats that our better suited to your build, though not necessarily objectively better)
2) Prestige/comestic items. With transmutation stones, any item can have any other item's appearance, so working toward getting the weapon that looks and performs the way you want is a big part of the game.

If at any point a stat-increasing loot treadmill a la Diablo is incorporated into this endgame, I will quit.

Have just received an email from the store I ordered from giving me a key for a 3 day headstart even though I was only expecting 1 day.
Don't think I entered a key so fast in my life :)

That's a good question. That we know of there's a couple tiers of Runes and such, can't check the wiki atm since it's down but to answer your question I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hoping there is something. I think it would be cool to keep stuff like this to the Mystic forge with real high mats to make it. Even if it was a small difference, stuff like weird effects to armor or weapons(like glowing or thinks like it) could add a lot of searching and throwing shit in the mystic anvil to try it out at least for me.

Damn, havn't stayed up to date on the game too much because I haven't been able to play much in the last couple stress tests or BWE's but I am getting hyped for tonight all over again.

Proven

Reposting here as people don't all check gafguild.com yet. http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/whos-up-for-wvw-in-the-first-hour.138/

1. It's very possible to WvW from level 1. You just need to be cautious and travel with like minded people. Preferably on Mumble.
  2. Don't worry about weapon skills. There are a bunch of mobs that are very killable, although they take an annoying amount of time to solo from level 1. Another reason to have people come with you.
  3. You can gather, craft, and use the trading post for all sorts of extra experience and cash while in WvW. Combined with territory gaining and keeping, you can gain levels really quick if you do it right.
    Conclusion: Within an hour of play I want a bunch of us GAFfers in WvW kicking teeth in. If we see any enemies, realize that they're in the same boat as us: low level, hardly any weapon skills, almost no money to buy the weapons they want. At that point, group strategy and basic combat tactics are what will matter most. And since sPvP has taught me that I suck at fighting other players, I will need you as much as you need me.

We'll meet in the Stormbluff Isle Borderlands after the initial name grabbing and then subsequent long-form character creation goes on. I'll point out where to buy the exact weapon set you want to start out using, with only the copper you got from completing the tutorial mission. I'll show you where to buy salvage kits, and when it should be safe to start selling copper ore on the trading post for 13-20 copper a pop.

And above all, we'll have fun. We'll be champions, living on the edge, and waiting for that guild invite.

Is there a new way to start the old launcher ?
-useoldlauncher doesn't work anymore.
Sorry, you're out of luck. Stopped working a few stress tests ago.
I find it ludicrous that ArenaNet wouldn't have considered the concept you're talking about.

There's tons of loot in this game, and plenty of it is awesome. The key point is that statistically advantageous loot is no longer a part of the equation at endgame. Once you reach a certain point, you WILL have max damage weapons/max defense armor and will not be looking to vertically increase your stats. Instead, the quest for loot continues a la:

1) Horizontal progression (find loot with stats that our better suited to your build, though not necessarily objectively better)
2) Prestige/comestic items. With transmutation stones, any item can have any other item's appearance, so working toward getting the weapon that looks and performs the way you want is a big part of the game.

If at any point a stat-increasing loot treadmill a la Diablo is incorporated into this endgame, I will quit.
This is actually one of the complaints I've heard about Diablo 3 that I can actually get behind. Finding new loot in Diablo 2 wasn't just about stats, but getting random awesome effects. Diablo 3 lost the random effects and focuses more on stats.

Proven

The treadmill always bothered me in most MMOs, although Diablo (1 and 2, not 3) is actually a good, albeit different model. Grinding in that game, maxing, doing new builds, playing the crazy PvP that goes with all that, that's all good fun, especially with friends.

I think the treadmill is a great reward system for simple, smartly designed games, basically. PSO, D2, etc.

But in MMOs? It always comes off like an excuse to keep subs and make the game into a job. In PSO/D2, you grind because it's fun, and you stop when you want.

Horizontal progression makes more sense. Especially if they're smart about exactly how different these items are. It encourages putting a lot of thought into builds at endgame instead of just hitting the treadmill and going with whatever seems more powerful.

I'd have nothing against more grind in expansions, though, if they end up introducing a lot of new elements. The GW2 grind seems to serve the purpose of making sure you know what you're doing before progressing, instead of being an epeen reward system. I appreciate being locked out of certain things before I really know what I'm doing overall.

Reminds me of what happened to me in Monster Hunter Tri. I had a ton of fun, even fighting monsters over and over again, because I had different weapons, different strats, and then could go online and meet all sorts of people. The experience was always different.

Once I got up to the final few monsters, and things became more about farming for the final, absolute best armor and/or weapon that you need for the last boss, just to farm him over and over again for the best armor and weapons in the game, I stopped playing. Most of my friends seem to all be happy grinders but me. If I can't use my semi-viable setups that I make up for my personal playstyles, then I tend to lose interest.

Proven

Levyne

Banned
Oh Nice. I see there are guild events for the 31st and 1st and the picture on the second. Cool.

(I hope it's not too off topic to talk about guild stuff in here.)

Just picked this up on Amazon digitally but will have to wait until tonight to download everything. Will definitely get in on the GAFGuild once I get up and running.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

njean777

I hope the deluxe digital version was worth it, I just purchased it. Anybody want to tell me what the items do? Thought I would treat myself for once.

_woLf

Is GW2 supposed to show up in your list of games when you log into your NCsoft master account?

I thought it was so I checked to make sure my gw1 and gw2 accounts were linked and they were, but nothings shows in my actual NC account. I never got any items during the last two stress tests, either, except for the heros band.

Llyranor

[*]It's very possible to WvW from level 1.

I'd argue that you should wait until lvl 7 at least. Before then, your skillset will be too limited, and while you can still help the team, it won't be as fun for you.

By lvl 7 (which you can get to fairly rapidly anyway), you'll most likely have most if not all of your weapon skills unlocked, you'll have one utility skill slot, and you'll have weapon swap. I found that these all contributed greatly to my enjoyment of WvWvW. Doing it at lower levels felt too restrictive.

Teknoman

Yeah but so does having fun and there is a tonne of loot it's just not an increase in power. It's the way Guild Wars 1 worked. You work hard and get gear that looks a lot better but isn't actually more powerful. There are many loot games out there, this isn't really one of them. You keep going because there's lots to do and see and experience. WvW is never going to get dull, neither is sPVP. Zones have over 100 dynamic events and it's going to take a while to see the full extent of those. Same with explorable mode dungeons. ArenaNet hopefully will be fairly diligent with their updates and they will be monitoring the community closely to see if they're getting bored or not.

Yeah I think since the game is supposed to be more skill based, you dont really need to stack stats to come out on top. I'm fine with new events/dungeons to clear with guildmates/random people and finding better looking equipment.

Proven

I'd argue that you should wait until lvl 7 at least. Before then, your skillset will be too limited, and while you can still help the team, it won't be as fun for you.

By lvl 7 (which you can get to fairly rapidly anyway), you'll most likely have most if not all of your weapon skills unlocked, you'll have one utility skill slot, and you'll have weapon swap. I found that these all contributed greatly to my enjoyment of WvWvW. Doing it at lower levels felt too restrictive.

Come play with me at level 1. Come on. You'll have fun anyway.

I'm only posting all that because I actually did take a level 1 character (a Thief) and had a blast. The only other tip I can give is that you should focus on just one weapon set until you get to level 7, unless you're really new and don't know what you want/like.

PaulLFC

A couple of idiotic questions I hope someone can answer:

1. I just received the game disc today - can I install the game off that and still use the early access code I was emailed, or do I need to install through the download client to use early access? Downloading is taking forever at the moment.

2. How do I redeem the early access code? I had a look on the Account page on the site and there doesn't seem to be an option. Is it done through the launcher once all the files have downloaded?

Audioboxer

Did ArenaNet add a lot to GW1 besides the expansions? Interested to see how they change the vanilla game going forward to GW2.

Hope they don't hold back everything for the expansions (which I will buy if I like the game).

Proven

1. I just received the game disc today - can I install the game off that and still use the early access code I was emailed, or do I need to install through the download client to use early access? Downloading is taking forever at the moment.

2. How do I redeem the early access code? I had a look on the Account page on the site and there doesn't seem to be an option. Is it done through the launcher once all the files have downloaded?

Both. The disc should install most of the game, and give you a client. Open the client, and you'll be downloading the last minute patches that came out after the game went "gold".

You should be able to stop the download right now and not lose any progress anyway, although the progress bar won't reflect it. Emphasis on "should".

For you code, go to register.guildwars2.com

TDLink

Audίoboxer;41366619 said:
Did ArenaNet add a lot to GW1 besides the expansions? Interested to see how they change the vanilla game going forward to GW2.

Hope they don't hold back everything for the expansions (which I will buy if I like the game).

They have said that going forward from release half the team will be working on new content for the existing game and half will be working on expansion content.

https://register.guildwars2.com/

That's the link to register your early access code. I'm not 100% sure but installing via disc should be fine to, though I'd register the early access code first

"WvW has no story tied to it right? Its just fun 3 way battles?"

Correct, though there are overall server bonuses you gain during the entire 2-week (initially 24-hour) campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom