• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothman91

Well, they are ON the west coast, so of course they go by west coast.

That is true, hopefully they open at least a couple of hours earlier. Waiting till 3 AM is no fun bros. Doing that for D3 and WoW was horrible, definitely D3. WoW was much better though compared to D3.

Jira

Guys can extra character slots be bought with some ingame valuta or just real cash?

Both.

You can buy Gems with cash and buy stuff or trade in-game gold for Gems and buy stuff. It uses an exchange system much like a stock market with prices based on supply & demand.

Hackbert

my plan until server are going up... get wasted watching start of Bundesliga (football !)..sleep until 5:45.
Get up hastily, cook coffee and repeated login button hammering until it is done. finish char creation and sigh of relief. eventually go back to bed or keep playing until 4 pm, when i have to go to work -.-

Acidote

Code registered and game downloading. It's a pity I only have a 3mb connection, but soon I'll be walking on the guild wars world for the first time!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That is true, hopefully they open at least a couple of hours earlier. Waiting till 3 AM is no fun bros. Doing that for D3 and WoW was horrible, definitely D3. WoW was much better though compared to D3.

D3 was so bad, I didn't even bother trying to play for the first 2 days. :p

I'm kind of hoping things are not that bad when GW2 goes live.

Btw, anyone using a Radeon? I downloaded 12.8, and I'm getting better framerate in pretty much every single game. Micro stuttering is gone. Hopefully it helps with GW2 as well.

Single word because they are more prestigious.

Same.

I mean look at history:

Prince
Madonna
Sting

Then you have multiple names like:

Lee Harvey Oswald
Charles Manson

Absolutely no bias in these lists and we can see the obvious greatness that is achieved with single word names.

Btw, anyone using a Radeon? I downloaded 12.8, and I'm getting better framerate in pretty much every single game. Micro stuttering is gone. Hopefully it helps with GW2 as well.

That's good news, will make sure I'm updated when I get home. Running an HD 6870.

panda21

damn reading that info on gafguild.com the quest system sounds incredibly cool. basically like what i imagine an MMO should be like, not what they are/were.

ShaneB

Just posted a thread on MMO nostalgia, sure plenty of people here have great stories, so would love to hear them in that thread :)

Also, was there way to change names being displayed in the chat window? I mean I know in the Guild pane it shows account name, but could you have the account names be displayed in the chat window for guild chat?

meep!

Neo Member
Just recieved my GW2 CE box. Very beautiful, I really like that metalic case, the prints and the artbook are also super cool. However I must say I am really disapointed in the soundtrack you recieve. For the prize of the CE I think they atleast could have added more than just 6 songs if not the whole 4-disc soundtrack.

Anyway, really hyped to start playing tomorrow!

damn reading that info on gafguild.com the quest system sounds incredibly cool. basically like what i imagine an MMO should be like, not what they are/were.
Just signed up over there, will have to find that thread. I wish I'd left my PC on this morning so I could remotely start the download... Maybe I can sneak out of the office a bit early today. It is Friday, after all...

Just posted a thread on MMO nostalgia, sure plenty of people here have great stories, so would love to hear them in that thread :)

Also, was there way to change names being displayed in the chat window? I mean I know in the Guild pane it shows account name, but could you have the account names be displayed in the chat window for guild chat?

I am pretty sure you can set "Nicknames" for people on your accounts so it'll show that nickname, rather than whatever character name they are currently playing on.

WinFonda

So quick question before I begin playing GW2 tomorrow; let's say I want to play Elementalist in PvP, but something else in PvE. If I choose not to level the elementalist, how disadvantaged would I be in PvP? What benefits of a PvE leveled character carry over to PvP modes?

Valnen

Really nervous about the fact that I can't get this game until the 31st. The fact that you can't make characters on a full server could be bad for me...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So quick question before I begin playing GW2 tomorrow; let's say I want to play Elementalist in PvP, but something else in PvE. If I choose not to level the elementalist, how disadvantaged would I be in PvP? What benefits of a PvE leveled character carry over to PvP modes?

You start PvP fully leveled.

SalomonA

Im not sure what to do right now. It's 7pm in Sweden, it's friday. Should I go out, have a smoke and some beers with my friends? Or should I go to sleep soon and wake up around 6-7am?

Leaning towards the beer option right now...

LkPr

Im not sure what to do right now. It's 7pm in Sweden, it's friday. Should I go out, have a smoke and some beers with my friends? Or should I go to sleep soon and wake up around 6-7am?

can't you go out AND wake up at 7am... I would

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
13 hours...hype reaching critical levels.

demented

7 pm here too, gonna slowly prepare for bed, read some and wake up at 5am, then start spamming login at 6 am straight!
SEE YOU INGAME TOMORROW BROS :D

Great, may cable is going up and down. Charter better not fuck me tonight

They will :(

tumblr_lzln99mL5Y1qzlvmi.gif

I'm sorry you just made me think of that now I can't stop laughing

Anyway got my Monster Java stockpile and playlist ready with Fear Not This Night on repeat about ten times. I don't think I've been this excited for a game since Skyrim. Actually Skyrim was probably worse, I had the goblet filled with wine and everything. xD

but yeah I AM SO READY FOR THIS

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 11.5-13.5 hours).
If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Tutorial Video (Watch if you have no idea what the game is like)
and
Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

SalomonA

Framerate-Comparison-590x289.jpg

Im using the 301.42 drivers, and in the recent tests I haven't been able to get the performance I should get from my system (Gtx 570, quad 3,4ghz, 4gb ddr3 ram). So I thought maybe it has to do with the drivers, and maybe I should update them?

I did try the newest beta drivers, but my system randomly froze after the update, so I switched back. Should I try another beta driver, or go even further back in the line before the 301.42 drivers?

Hawkian,

I have a question about xpadder if you don't mind answering. So my system is Win 7 pro and after some quick research, looks like you need to use compatibility mode for xpadder. The odd thing is that when I select Windows 7, it doesn't work. I ran a troubleshooting scan with the program and apparently it works with Windows XP SP2....pretty strange. I wanted to ask if this was normal and if selecting this older operating system for compat. mode will affect anything negatively?

Ordinator

Were you able to play in the last 3 stress tests? If so, you're ready.

Was the last stress test back in July? Think the last beta test email I received was for July 20ish. I never received an early access code but I did receive the CD Key. Not sure if I'm good for early access. (I did prepurchase)

Rad-

Haha I'm in the same situation. I kind of want to go clubbing but if I go it will be like 5 AM when I get home.

The good news is that I just figured out what class I'm going to play first for PvE: ranger. Something like this most likely:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fMA...E;TIBAzysEYJxSllCLKrMWJsyalzKpVrKGicqY3xriZFA

Shortbow got a nice buff in the last test (skill 1 shoots quite a bit faster now so it's great for condition spamming). Huge bleed stacks with that build + spirits for GAF group wide buffing. Nice amount of toughness + 20k health + swiftness spamming should help for survivability. 2 aoe condition removals, 10 sec aoe protection buff every 40 secs, 2 aoe heal skills etc.

Now to just choose what race to play...

thetrin

That tutorial video is worth watching even if you've played GW2 before.

Was the last stress test back in July? Think the last beta test email I received was for July 20ish. I never received an early access code but I did receive the CD Key. Not sure if I'm good for early access. (I did prepurchase)

No, I mean the stress tests in the last 2 weeks. Those were prepurchase only. If you prepurchased, you're good to go.

Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 11.5-13.5 hours).
If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Tutorial Video (Watch if you have no idea what the game is like)
and
Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Thank you so much!

I still might have to wait a couple of weeks before buying GW2 (all outa money =( ), but hopefully these might ease the pain. Especially since I'm a GW noob

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
20% off from GMG - would that be the best deal for this game at the moment?

You won't get into the head start with the GMG copy, though. You had to have ordered before the 17th to get in.

No idea why that is, seems pretty ridiculous as every other vendor gives you headstart access.

Framerate-Comparison-590x289.jpg

Im using the 301.42 drivers, and in the recent tests I haven't been able to get the performance I should get from my system (Gtx 570, quad 3,4ghz, 4gb ddr3 ram). So I thought maybe it has to do with the drivers, and maybe I should update them?

I did try the newest beta drivers, but my system randomly froze after the update, so I switched back. Should I try another beta driver, or go even further back in the line before the 301.42 drivers?

Try this one http://www.nvidia.com/content/devzone/opengl-driver-4.3.html

and make sure you have the gw2 profile set to Prefer Maximum Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom