• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapture

People talk about having a shedload of characters and filling up the slots, why? Perhaps that's just me but I simply can't have that, the thought of just having multiple characters is making me shudder. One character with maximum dedication.

Its not that I don't want to put full dedication into my main, but rather, I'm just way too interested in all the classes to play just one.

inky

People talk about having a shedload of characters and filling up the slots, why? Perhaps that's just me but I simply can't have that, the thought of just having multiple characters is making me shudder. One character with maximum dedication.

Crafting, PvP, Presents, Professions, Something to do when you get bored of your main.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
What do you mean?

ANet was notorious for giving out birthday presents to characters a year from the date that they were started. These birthday presents, if I recall correctly, would be in the form of a present that you clicked to open that would give you a minipet from a specific collection exclusive to the presents. You could get a common or a rare one (they would all be somewhat rare because it took at least a year to unlock even one of them).

EDIT: Beaten by Hawkian. :/

Sethos

Banned
Crafting, PvP, Presents, Professions, Something to do when you get bored of your main.

Could never do that, when I start making alts that's when I lose the sense of dedication to my character and I get bored of the game(s). Plus, experience from my time in WoW since vanilla is, people who dabble with a bunch of alts to craft and generally build several characters at once are usually the ones who get burnt out really fast or just get hooked so bad because it almost becomes a second job.

But hey, each to their own right?

Sephirus

Signed up on the GafGuild site sadly I won't be joining you guys on Stormbluff but I'll be rep'ing the hell out of Gaf on Northern Shiverpeaks.

Wow. What was the budget for this game?

I can't remember reading about a specific number, but I can imagine that it must be quite high. Five years of development can't be cheap. I am glad it looks like their efforts paid off and that the game is able to do good numbers.

Free Hat!

They must be talking to Gabe on how to make a successful game.

The more pessimistic hater might also look at it as:

Malibu_Stacy.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Could never do that, when I start making alts that's when I lose the sense of dedication to my character and I get bored of the game(s). Plus, experience from my time in WoW since vanilla is, people who dabble with a bunch of alts to craft and generally build several characters at once are usually the ones who get burnt out really fast or just get hooked so bad because it almost becomes a second job.

You may of course play this game in any manner you choose! But a couple points:
1. You'll only experience a fraction of the many main storylines in this game with a single character. When you reach the end of your main's personal story you may feel like you want to try another.
2. Getting burnt out/getting hooked due to amount of time played is really a lot less of a concern with this game than something like WoW, obviously- no monthly fees. You get out of it what you put in, there's no reason you'll feel compelled to play other than to have fun.
3. Just make 5 characters even if you only ever play one. Birthday presents :p

Valnen

With the time I spend on character creation in MMO's, making 5 characters is going to take me a looooong time >.<. Hopefully they'll offer the option to recustomize for gems at some point so I don't have to stress too much at character creation.

I used to think like this, but then I started thinking about why I did. I think the main facet of MMO's today is to get you hooked with a character, soulbound, reputations, loot unshareable between characters, etc ... with GW2 there is a few things like that with some craftable stuff but the grind to get there really isn't bad. You don't have to get to 80, get your gear, then really "start" the game like you did in WoW. My only alt I ever had was a DK in WoW because they started it for me.

I think with GW2 I will be more addicted to the game itself than I will with my character. With WoW it was always "let me get on my main" but since this game revolves around PVP and is very giving in that aspect with levels and such, I don't think there will be a reason for that.

I'm not saying I will do alts, and maybe they do tie a lot of stuff to just one character but the path to get that one character to where you want it to be isn't going to be a months-long journey.

Just my opinion of course.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
With the time I spend on character creation in MMO's, making 5 characters is going to take me a looooong time >.<. Hopefully they'll offer the option to recustomize for gems at some point so I don't have to stress too much at character creation.
Not out of the question as it exists in GW1. You could even change Sex.

vesp

I kind of understand that mentality in most mmo games, but the grind is so small in this game and then the endgame is either grinding pve/pvp for cosmetic stuff. In other mmos, it took a lot of dedication to keep up with the "high end" player base, but it seems here that after a nominal grind you just need to hit/get close to your actual player skill cap and then you may as well learn\level some more characters to able to give you more team comp flexibility.

It may end up that the systems here make hitting your skill cap a bit harder than other games in the genre, but MMOs have never really been all that mechanically challenging compared to other genres of multiplayer games.

LogicStep

Well I just bought the digital version! I'm excited to play! Hopefully I can copy my friends game folder so I can play tonight. My only MMO has been WoW so hopefully this is different enough to be fun.

Just create one char a day. Spread it out nicely. The fact that these birthday presents can be tradeable makes it almost a necessity to make 5 chars though.

Sethos

Banned
You may of course play this game in any manner you choose! But a couple points:
1. You'll only experience a fraction of the many main storylines in this game with a single character. When you reach the end of your main's personal story you may feel like you want to try another.
2. Getting burnt out/getting hooked due to amount of time played is really a lot less of a concern with this game than something like WoW, obviously- no monthly fees. You get out of it what you put in, there's no reason you'll feel compelled to play other than to have fun.
3. Just make 5 characters even if you only ever play one. Birthday presents :p

I don't have the need to experience a whole game, the thought of having something unexplored or 'they experienced something different than me' is really appealing, that's the grand MMO feeling in my book when you can have a game that lets each player experience the story or have their own story without everyone knowing everything. Then again, that's just me having some weird immersion guidelines.

As for monthly fee, I don't feel that's being part of it at all. It's just something people do when they slowly get hooked, play way too much and juggling tons of alts is usually the first sign, free to play or pay to play.

But as I said, it's optional but I will just never be able to do it. Just want my single character and have him stick with me. Once every blue moon I get bored with a character, not just "Oh I have nothing to do" but bored to the bone of the entire playstyle, then I tend to delete my character and start completely fresh.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just create one char a day. Spread it out nicely. The fact that these birthday presents can be tradeable makes it almost a necessity to make 5 chars though.
Plus they will apparently wind up being a crucial factor in being able to get your rewards in the Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 3.

I don't have the need to experience a whole game, the thought of having something unexplored or 'they experienced something different than me' is really appealing, that's the grand MMO feeling in my book when you can have a game that lets each player experience the story or have their own story without everyone knowing everything. Then again, that's just me having some weird immersion guidelines.
No, I certainly understand that, but the way you put it is funny- even with all 5 characters it's impossible to experience the whole game yourself (though you can enter other character's personal storylines and one of our guildies is setting up "Cinema" sessions). I'm just saying, if you DO want more, a second character is the way to go.

As for monthly fee, I don't feel that's being part of it at all. It's just something people do when they slowly get hooked, play way too much and juggling tons of alts is usually the first sign, free to play or pay to play.
I don't know; there isn't really equivalent data to compare as this is the first game on this scale with no fees.

But as I said, it's optional but I will just never be able to do it. Just want my single character and have him stick with me. Once every blue moon I get bored with a character, not just "Oh I have nothing to do" but bored to the bone of the entire playstyle, then I tend to delete my character and start completely fresh.
This my friend is mere madness. Carry on with your crazy self :)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gonna be semi-AFKing in the mumble chat until mightnight/3AM. Get hyped nerds!

n7Hby.gif

arimanius

So is there a minimal level I need to get a character to to save it? Or can I just make 5 characters reserving the name and only ever play 1?

For example any characters that has been level 1 for 6 months get deleted sort of thing?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So is there a minimal level I need to get a character to to save it? Or can I just make 5 characters reserving the name and only ever play 1?

For example any characters that has been level 1 for 6 months get deleted sort of thing?
Hahaha. I have a Level 3 character in GW1 that was made in 2008. I should hope not.

Ugh, they're already talking about Guild Wars 3?
KuGsj.gif
No, sorry, I shouldn't have phrased that so dryly. Absolutely not, zero talk about anything of the sort. I was joking, because the birthday presents wound up being a big factor in HoM.

tehbible

Hey so I played GW1 heavily (GvG), and was wondering if GW2 will offer more of the same?

I just hope GW2 will offer GW1 type gameplay + new stuff.

I'm just worried because I'm on the fence buying this game, and I don't want to get burned like I did with Diablo 3..

chris-013

Hey so I played GW1 heavily (GvG), and was wondering if GW2 will offer more of the same?

I'm just worried because I'm on the fence buying this game, and I don't want to get burned like I did with Diablo 3..

It's not the same game but yes it offer a lot more.

Deitus

You really need to read the OP of this thread. GW2 is a very different game than GW1 (in a good way).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Well.........

No. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but in terms of gameplay (though not core gameplay concepts) it is completely different from GW1.

The good news is that it's also massively better.

I hate to keep finding myself in this position because I do like the game, but just from the betas alone I can tell you Guild Wars 2 makes Diablo III (and its development time) feel downright embarrassing. In my opinion when we look back and consider that these games were released only 3 months apart in 2012, it will not reflect favorably on Diablo III.

Don't think so. He's just making an assumption. Guild Wars 2 + Expansions is it for at least the next half dozen years.
Not even an assumption, just a joke :p I hated the feeling I got when they announced GW2 and I was barely done with 1.5 campaigns in GW1. It's all about the present now, peeps

Although Hawkian already answered, let me also point out that you're supposed to select Windows XP SP2. You see, you're not selecting the OS you have (Windows is pretty well aware what version it is), but the OS you want to emulate (as Windows has no way of knowing what version the program works with). So Windows 7 is precisely the one option that won't work (XPadder doesn't work on Windows 7).

Yeah I knew it was trying to emulate, I just didn't know how the program went about it and I didn't think xpadder was dated as far back as SP2 for XP so I was concerned if that was too far back. I appreciate you directly confirming that's what it should be for me and also to Hawkian as he still gave me the impression that it was the norm. Also, especially thank you sir for the profile and setup instructions! I look forward to testing it out!

badbrains

So, EST time, is the game launching at 12AM or 3AM? I've seen different posts regarding both times, but when and how will we find out if its pushed back 3 hours?

ShaneB

Work done soon, then gym, then home, then relax, maybe watch a movie, or play Civ V and hope for an early launch. Good times.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 7-10 hours).
Amazon Standard Editions are out, but Digital Deluxe editions still have headstart access. Other versions are iffy.

If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Tutorial Video (Watch if you have no idea what the game is like)
and
Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Finally: Play With a Controller (it's fun as hell).

ibxhqFFmQfW8Mp.gif

(thanks Sethos)

Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 7-10 hours).
Amazon Standard Editions are out, but Digital Deluxe editions still have headstart access. Other versions are iffy.

If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Tutorial Video (Watch if you have no idea what the game is like)
and
Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Play With a Controller (it's fun as hell).

ibxhqFFmQfW8Mp.gif

(thanks Sethos)

And the world is right again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom