• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Stormbluff Isle is also the unofficial "overflow" server for RPers. I don't mind that, but be prepared to possibly meet brooding necromancers looking for their long-lost fathers.

Can someone direct me to a list of what servers are what?

I do want to play with GAF on Stormbluff when I get the game, but I may want to check out a couple of other servers too

PaulLFC

When the 3 day early access is over, will I just enter my serial number on the account website? I registered using the early access code and my account looks all set up, but the code is different from the serial number I got in the box.

so theres a Stormbluff isle on the Gandara server too? naming servers after locations in the world seems super confusing

Yeah, why is that confusing? I bet its not just locations but even characters as well. Its common among MMOs, WoW was doing this forever.

Smokey

So the client is downloaded and when I try to login ( I know I won't be able to play yet) I get "Guild Wars 2 has encountered an error pop up box" and an Error code 9.4:5:1265...

is this normal? please say yes

nTaSv.png

Stormbluff Isle for US, Gandara for EU (if you're not viewing images)

ty

If you remember, when you finished an event you'd see a few icons next to the medal showing your "score"; the purple triangle is the amount of Karma you earned. The other two icons are for XP and coins.

Ahhh! that's right! sad that I needed one of you to describe the purple triangle for it to click but now I'm on the same page. Completely remember that now, thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gonna sleep for a bit so as not to DIE.

See you all a little closer to the motherfucking launch of Guild Wars 2.

panda21

Yeah, why is that confusing? I bet its not just locations but even characters as well. Its common among MMOs, WoW was doing this forever.

i get that gaf is on the stormbluff server in the US and Gandara in EU.

but all the server names seem to correspond to real locations in the GW world, so to someone not familiar with the setup, it sounds like by choosing the Stormbluff server you would only be able to play there (or at least start there). I'm pretty sure FFXIV had something like that.

so do you start in the exact same place and have access to the same parts of the world map regardless of the server you choose?

but all the server names seem to correspond to real locations in the GW world, so to someone not familiar with the setup, it sounds like by choosing the Stormbluff server you would only be able to play there (or at least start there). I'm pretty sure FFXIV had something like that.

so do you start in the exact same place and have access to the same parts of the world map regardless of the server you choose?

Server name is just a name and they just decided to choose areas that are in the game to name them. They don't have any deeper meaning and don't effect gameplay (outside of WvW where you fight for your server).

lol51

Having a server does not change initial spawn locations or story or nothing major like that. The server name is just a way to differentiate the servers. It is also what team you represent in WvW.

The location you start in is decided by your race, and the questions you're asked upon character creation. The race will decide the city, the decisions you make will decide where in the city your tutorial quest is. All the servers are indeed named after locations, many from GW1.

KiteGr

I'll be on my summer house with my family and i'll miss the opening ceremony (of Guild Wars 2). I won't be able to play it before monday! What a shame!

I think I should dump them and get home...

Ricker

When the 3 day early access is over, will I just enter my serial number on the account website? I registered using the early access code and my account looks all set up, but the code is different from the serial number I got in the box.

Yes,I think they give the people who pre-purchased a retail box version 5 days after the 28th to enter the new code...you will be able to keep playing till then...

Finally: Play With a Controller (it's fun as hell).

Speaking of which, Hawkian, have you seen my last post in the thread? I managed to get both a "hold for mouse mode" and a "toggle for mouse mode" button working, both without interfering with each other, and both transforming the other buttons into mouse-mode appropriate actions (like mouse clicking and menu panes). The "hold for mouse mode" even works as a "reset to camera mode" if anything goes wrong! (it resets both the XPadder profile and the AutoHotkey state to their correct values).

I also prepared and uploaded a new bundle with all that (and updated the blog post you linked to with the new bundle). :) I'm so excited about this configuration that, once I test it thoroughly in retail, I'm considering phasing out both of my other ones in the next version of the bundle.

ParityBit

OK don't kill me.

I am using 301.40 for my nVidia drivers. I have GeForce GTX 680 (x2)

Should I change to a different version? Or run with it?

th3dude

How can you tell if your key has early access?

Do all pre-order keys have early access or can I find it in my account somewhere?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Speaking of which, Hawkian, have you seen my last post in the thread? I managed to get both a "hold for mouse mode" and a "toggle for mouse mode" button working, both without interfering with each other, and both transforming the other buttons into mouse-mode appropriate actions (like mouse clicking and menu panes). The "hold for mouse mode" even works as a "reset to camera mode" if anything goes wrong! (it resets both the XPadder profile and the AutoHotkey state to their correct values).

I also prepared and uploaded a new bundle with all that (and updated the blog post you linked to with the new bundle). :) I'm so excited about this configuration that, once I test it thoroughly in retail, I'm considering phasing out both of my other ones in the next version of the bundle.
Yes, I saw it and replied (there may be mention of an orgasm). It's exciting because your innovation allows for manipulation of the map without doing anything to damage the rest of the configuration. I'm going to give it all a shot tonight :D

Gonna put off napping in favor of squeezing in my workout now. Physical fitness is important, kids

Cystm

Just need to say again: awesome job on the OT, Jira. I literally have not been following this game at all, but the hype is inescapable. I was able to get all the information I needed in a nicely formatted OP. just really well done, sir.

Thanks.

I am going to wait to jump into the game until after the inevitable launch issues subside, but I have my first profession mapped out, and I am looking forward to checking the game out most likely in september.

Will continue to stalk this thread for initial impressions and character pimping :)

d0c_zaius

Hmm, mine did not mention a start date. Just a 'thank you' and 'here's a link to download the client'.

theres a couple of emails. Im not sure if it was the one validating the purchase, or the email validating the registration. It'll say preorder or prepurchase with the starting date.

When did you update this? Is it part of your "simplified" profile? I just grabbed your stuff last night so curious if I have the latest and greatest. I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Headstart Begins in ~8.5 hours or less

Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 5.5-8.5 hours).
Amazon Standard Editions are out, but Digital Deluxe editions still have headstart access. Other versions are iffy.

If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Tutorial Video (Watch if you have no idea what the game is like)
and
Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Finally: Play With a Controller (it's fun as hell).

ibxhqFFmQfW8Mp.gif

(thanks Sethos)

chualie

How does reserving a name work? Do I have to go through all the character customization then choose a name to reserve or can I reserve the name first then go back to customize?

Bento

Fuck fuck fuck

Jumped on the bandwagon. Going to playing with some IRL friends and I have no clue what to play as (Mesmer, Necromancer and Warrior have however already been picked) so I'll just throw out some questions:

Do Guardians suck balls? Seems like this game, due to its simple aggro mechanics and non-trinity based gameplay, is all about damage and I don't really see how they fit in. Are their support abilities good enough to warrant less dps? Or maybe you actually do need a tank? My Warrior friend seems intent to use 2H Sword, could he carry fill that role?

What's up with Elementalist? Seems like a neat take on the Mage class but I'd like to know if switching attunements incurs a cooldown? It would also be nice to know if there's a recommended weapon for a beginner such as myself :)

Engineer, Ranger and Thief: I don't know what I feel about these really, anyone feel like they have the time to make a pitch for these classes perhaps? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom