• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes every race starts in their own area. If you want to get to each other, one of you go to the nearby city, find the pink/puple Asura Gate, take it to Lion's Arch, go from there to the city you want and out into the starting zone. For Personal Story stuff you guys can do it together and the person helping the owner of the story will get Karma and it scales based on the amount of people in it making it fun for all.
what was karma in the game again?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's one of the wacko currencies.
VIrYg.png
Nice and simple :D
Coin is the most common form of currency accepted by NPCs and is the basis for player trade. It can be obtained via loot or as rewards for completing events or completing achievements.
Gems are used to purchase items from the in-game store; they can be exchanged or traded for coin.
Glory is used to unlock skins for use in Structured PvP; it can only be obtained through participation in that game mode.
Influence can be spent on guild upgrades and boons; it is earned when players representing a guild participate in events, PvP, personal storyline. A guild's accumulated influence can be seen via the guild panel (G).
Karma is used to purchase special items from designated NPCs; it cannot be traded and must be earned by participating in dynamic events or helping others with their personal storylines.
Skill points are used to unlock new skills and Miyani will take them in exchange for mystic items or recipes.
Supply is acquired through and used in WvW to build and upgrade structures and siege weapons.
Tokens are earned by completing dungeons. Dungeon Vendors will accept them in exchange for items unique to that dungeon.

So I registered a new account with a pre-purchase code, should I be good to go for tonight?
Do you have the client?

A currency you earn from completing events, which can be used to purchase things from Heart vendors, as well as a few karma vendors in town.

So I registered a new account with a pre-purchase code, should I be good to go for tonight?

PVE currency. When you complete quests/events you get awarded with Karma that you can spend on items.

Yeah, should be no problem.

It's a currency used for buying weapons, armor, trinkets, cooking materials, etc.
Thanks, that sounds vaguely familiar from the Beta. I think I only bothered buying a staff so didn't mess with shop currency and such much.

Wallach

Thanks, that sounds vaguely familiar from the Beta. I think I only bothered buying a staff so didn't mess with shop currency and such much.

If you remember, when you finished an event you'd see a few icons next to the medal showing your "score"; the purple triangle is the amount of Karma you earned. The other two icons are for XP and coins.

Effect

Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 7.5-10.5 hours).
Amazon Standard Editions are out, but Digital Deluxe editions still have headstart access. Other versions are iffy.

Wait. What about those that bought the pre-purchase version of the game that had early access?

Do they not get early access?

I notice that Amazon.com flagged the game in my games/software library as a pre-order that can be canceled and removed the code. I already got my code and paid before this though and created my Guild Wars 2 account. Are they just sold out of the pre-purchase? Or doing away with the early access in general for all but the deluxe version basically trying to screw those that prepaid?

Anyone know?

Deitus

If you didn't dig too much into it, then you may not have noticed that for every Heart quest you complete, the NPC associated with that quest (they will be at the location of the heart on your map) begins selling exclusive items that can only be bought with Karma once the quest is complete. Always make sure to check these before leaving the area.

Also, you can sell items to these NPCs in order to help clear out your inventory without going back to town.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait. What about those that bought the pre-purchase version of the game that had early access?

I notice that Amazon.com flagged the game in my games/software library as a pre-order that can be canceled. I already got my code before this though and created by Guild Wars 2 account. Are they just sold out of the pre-purchase? Or doing away with the early access in general for all but the deluxe version?

Anyone know?
Sorry, what now? You'll be able to play in 7-10 hours.

What is that? Does the GAF guild own that keep or is it just a zone in the game?
It's a area in the game south of Lion's Arch THAT GAF RIGHTFULLY OWNS

No, just a 40-50 zone in the game world, I didn't know it was included. Apparently it's chock full of pirates.

inky

Hey guys, look where we can all hang out after we ding level 40ish:
rMeH4.jpg

(thanks Kos)

This pic just made me dream of a more open ended MMO-like game in which each server could actually be it's own piece of land, like a nation. Someday...

No, just a 40-50 zone in the game world, I didn't know it was included. Apparently it's chock full of pirates.

bu bu bu bu always online...

Ba-da-bum-tshhhh

It's a area in the game south of Lion's Arch THAT GAF RIGHTFULLY OWNS

Dynamic events. There is a heart right there so we can probably clear them out and claim the place for ourselves!

RMUJa.gif

I notice that Amazon.com flagged the game in my games/software library as a pre-order that can be canceled. I already got my code and paid before this though and created by Guild Wars 2 account. Are they just sold out of the pre-purchase? Or doing away with the early access in general for all but the deluxe version basically trying to screw those that prepaid?

Anyone know?
Dammit man, dont do that. You're making me second guess my digital best buy pre-purchase now (only cause I had gift cards there).

Helmholtz

Hey so I played GW1 heavily (GvG), and was wondering if GW2 will offer more of the same?

I just hope GW2 will offer GW1 type gameplay + new stuff.

I'm just worried because I'm on the fence buying this game, and I don't want to get burned like I did with Diablo 3..
Nope, it actually plays completely differently. If you want a GW1 clone this isn't it, and that's coming from someone who played GW1 for thousands of hours. I can tell you I'm really digging what they've done though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dynamic events. There is a heart right there so we can probably clear them out and claim the place for ourselves!

RMUJa.gif

Fuck yeah. Vinci is going to scout it out for us (using a technique known as "naked running") tonight, and then I say we find the coolest waypoint to make the official GAF hangout once we make it to the right level. :D

well i've settled on the thief as my first toon to roll

Now i'm torn on what race to choose. Is there somewhere that shows the different races aesthetics in that class?

Charr warrior seems to fit. But for thief i'm wondering if a Charr is too big. Is there a starting zone that stood out or are they all about the same

tenz0r

Anyone know how to check if your account registered properly to receive the 3 day head start? I bought the code off eBay, and did the registration properly, but when I log into my account it doesn't indicate anywhere I will have access to the 3 day head start.

I also have the client still installed from the beta event, do I have to download a different client? Or did all the updates patch it to the retail client?

Fuck yeah. Vinci is going to scout it out for us (using a technique known as "naked running") tonight, and then I say we find the coolest waypoint to make the official GAF hangout once we make it to the right level. :D

Perpetually throw down those Guild Banners and claim that place for us :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone know how to check if your account registered properly to receive the 3 day head start? I bought the code off eBay, and did the registration properly, but when I log into my account it doesn't indicate anywhere I will have access to the 3 day head start.
Do you have the client?

Effect

Dammit man, dont do that. You're making me second guess my digital best buy pre-purchase now (only cause I had gift cards there).

Sorry I was talking about just Amazon.com and what they're doing with the game.

If you look up Guild War 2 there on the digital side they just have the Standard edition and the Deluxe with beta access. What they had listed before was "pre-purchase" for both standard and deluxe with early access (3 day). I got the pre-purchase version from them. My card was charged and I got my code from my games/software library on my Amazon.com account. I created my GW2 account already as well. Looking at my library now the code is gone and the order itself is flagged as if it was a normal PC game preorder that can be canceled. That just concerned me.

My GuildWars2.com account works still and the game is still listed as being downloadable so I hope I'm okay and whatever game Amazon.com is trying to pull won't affect me. I was just really worried there and was wondering what was going on.

Edit: Was getting the same message as tenz0r. ""Either there is no current Guild Wars 2 event or this account is not authorized to participate in one etc"".

tenz0r

Do you have the client?

Yeah, its the client from the beta, but it has been updating so I thought it was patched to the retail client (Star Wars Old Republic did this), and when I try to log in it says

"Either there is no current Guild Wars 2 event or this account is not authorized to participate in one etc"

So I am guessing I might need to download a different client, since I am still using the beta one.

Dunlop

Yeah, its the client from the beta, but it has been updating so I thought it was patched to the retail client (Star Wars Old Republic did this), and when I try to log in it says

"Either there is no current Guild Wars 2 event or this account is not authorized to participate in one etc"

So I am guessing I might need to download a different client, since I am still using the beta one.

nope, you're good

There is only one client for the game, the message is accurate because the game is not live yet ; )

well i've settled on the thief as my first toon to roll

Now i'm torn on what race to choose. Is there somewhere that shows the different races aesthetics in that class?

Charr warrior seems to fit. But for thief i'm wondering if a Charr is too big. Is there a starting zone that stood out or are they all about the same

Starting zones are rather unimportant as you can go to any starting zone you like to level, so don't let that be a basis for your characters race.

I originally was going to do Charr thief, but I did feel they were too big to properly showcase the animations on the thief, wound up going with human instead. I really base my race/class choice by the animations.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
different races aesthetics in that class?
Here's the thing- there are armor classes, not class armors.

That is:

Armor is divided into three levels, light, medium, and heavy. Each profession can only wear one level of armor:

Scholars (Ele, Mes, Necro) wear light armor.
Adventurers (Thief, Ranger, Engi) wear medium armor.
Soldiers (Guardian, War) wear heavy armor.

On the contrary, using that very client you will be able to play Guild Wars 2 in 6.5-9.5 hours (I am beginning to shake in a disconcerting manner).

putarorex

It looks like Stormbluff Isle is also the unofficial "overflow" server for RPers. I don't mind that, but be prepared to possibly meet brooding necromancers looking for their long-lost fathers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It looks like Stormbluff Isle is also the unofficial "overflow" server for RPers. I don't mind that, but be prepared to possibly meet brooding necromancers looking for their long-lost fathers.
I'm always prepared for that possibility. In real life too.

JonCha

By the time I get up tomorrow morning Guild Wars 2 will be in full motion

I also asked this earlier thought didn't get a reply: can I roll in the U.S. GAF Guild despite playing on a European server?

01DragonFly

you do not need to download a new client , thats the message anyone gets when trying to log in to the game

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'll work overtime today just to keep mu mind off the game. That's how bad it is. I work longer ON PURPOSE INSTEAD OF RELAXING just so I'm distracted. I don't even get paid overtime.

Starting zones are rather unimportant as you can go to any starting zone you like to level, so don't let that be a basis for your characters race.

I originally was going to do Charr thief, but I did feel they were too big to properly showcase the animations on the thief, wound up going with human instead. I really base my race/class choice by the animations.

yea i was thinking charr at first but feel they're probably too big. Probably save the Charr for the warrior.

I usually never pick human if given a choice but maybe this time. Although the Asura thief would be pretty fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom