• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Game

Set the alarm for 5.45 am, now only problem is how i am going to fall asleep with all the excitement.
I still have no idea who to start with, so many good professions.

tci

I was having this issue with the disappearing launcher on 8 RTM, but reinstalling my drivers seemed to have fixed that issue. I haven't had the stuck at 0 kb issue in a few days, but I did have it once. Can't remember how I fixed it.
I'm guessing the display drivers?

Seems strange that it would have an effect. I will try to restart to see if that helps.

edit:

Seems like it is the SLI that causes the client to do that. Reinstalling the drivers would also solve that, since SLI is disabled by default.

Violet_0

Banned
First about the Necromancer, you who have tried the class for awhile in both PVE and PVP, what favorite weapons do you use and switch between?

In PvP, Scepter+Horn and Staff. Staff has nice crowd control in the four mark skills that work like Ranger or Thief traps, only you don't have to waste precious utility slots for them. Place them on the battlefield before the real fight starts. Your 1 skill helps you fill up the Death Shroud bar faster. The Scepter autoattack is my main tool for damage (2 stacks of bleeding and one stack of poison with every attack chain), Horn give you a good mobility/escape ability and a decent AoE cc

haven't played PvE as a Nec, but I imagine the build would work the same way there.

KingKong

so Thief is the class to play if I don't like standing still and cycling through skills right?

That sounds like what the Elementalist/Engineer/Mesmer/Necromancer/Ranger are like

Jira

so Thief is the class to play if I don't like standing still and cycling through skills right?

That sounds like what the Elementalist/Engineer/Mesmer/Necromancer/Ranger are like

Err no, it applies to every class. If you stand there you will be crushed into the ground very quickly.

PewPewK

I'm guessing the display drivers?

Seems strange that it would have an effect. I will try to restart to see if that helps.

Oops, yeah. Forgot to mention that I went from the 304 Nvidia drivers to the developer 305.67 ones doing a clean install. I, too, thought it was incredibly odd, but hey, in the world of tech I've seen odder things fix issues.

badbrains

My friend wants to make a human, I want to make a Norn. Would we be able to play together and help each other out, story/quest wise, from the beginning?

Doesn't every race start in a different area?

And if not, how can he come to me, or vice versa

Jack_AG

Banned
hey guys. getting my new video card today. a 660. people on guild wars reddit say the 304.79 beta drivers give the best performance right now. anyone else running those? should i use them for now?

coming from ati.
I switched a few stress tests ago and they bump performane really nice ;)

dot

Can we reuse a name on different characters? Like if i made a Norn Ranger with the name "A", if i delete that character can i still use the name "A" for a different (new) character?

Violet_0

Banned
Did Elementalist really get nerfed that badly?

Everyone keeps saying they're too squishy and don't do enough damage. I kinda want to do a D/D ele but I dunno if that's a good idea for a main.

D/D eles can do deadly one-shot combos. Support eles are the best healers and among the tankiest professions in the game

tci

Oops, yeah. Forgot to mention that I went from the 304 Nvidia drivers to the developer 305.67 ones doing a clean install. I, too, thought it was incredibly odd, but hey, in the world of tech I've seen odder things fix issues.

I updated the post. It was caused by the SLI :)

KingKong

sorry by cycling through skills I meant just standing there and then going through attacks/buffs/heals/whatever until all the enemies die, but the thief moves around a lot? or am I getting that wrong

Levyne

Banned
My friend wants to make a human, I want to make a Norn. Would we be able to play together and help each other out, story/quest wise, from the beginning?

Yes, you can portal around amongst the cities.

alphaNoid

Banned
Question (may have been covered)

If I buy the digital version from Gamestop today, can I get access tonight at midnight? I ask because I have a $50 giftcard to the store so I'd prefer buy there.

Help?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you preorder today you get into the early-release, correct?
If you prepurchase, from ArenaNet's site, at least for the moment, yep.

You can reach each other as soon as you finish the tutorial quest.

Open the PvP Menu and click Go to the Mists. From there, find the Asura Gate to Lion's Arch. LA has gates to all the major racial cities (The Grove, Black Citadel, Hoelbrak, Divinity's Reach, Rata Sum).

Jack_AG

Banned
Can we reuse a name on different characters? Like if i made a Norn Ranger with the name "A", if i delete that character can i still use the name "A" for a different (new) character?
Names are reseved to you for 24 hours after character deletion.

Deitus

sorry by cycling through skills I meant just standing there and then going through attacks/buffs/heals/whatever until all the enemies die, but the thief moves around a lot? or am I getting that wrong

No class does that. Every class has to stay mobile, or they will die. Thief is one of the more mobile classes though.

Ferrio

Banned

Quickest way is go to the mists (pvp, get there through your hero menu), and exit that area. Then you'll be in Lion's arch, and that has portals to all the main cities.

Jira

Yes every race starts in their own area. If you want to get to each other, one of you go to the nearby city, find the pink/puple Asura Gate, take it to Lion's Arch, go from there to the city you want and out into the starting zone. For Personal Story stuff you guys can do it together and the person helping the owner of the story will get Karma and it scales based on the amount of people in it making it fun for all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Question (may have been covered)

If I buy the digital version from Gamestop today, can I get access tonight at midnight? I ask because I have a $50 giftcard to the store so I'd prefer buy there.

Help?
Unfortunately I have no idea. The only sure thing for buying right now I'm aware of is ArenaNet itself.

"How important is loot? I love loot and want there to be super rare items and lots of customization and legendaries and all that good stuff."

Not very. There are super rare items and legendaries (especially with crafting) but those are mostly going to be for super spiffy cosmetic appeal.

Oh there is. The big difference here is the stats on loot don't keep increasing over and over. Instead you're looking for new awesome skins. Single Legendary Weapons will take hundreds of hours to acquire one of four parts to craft it.

There is tons of loot, but all loot maxes out at levle 80, so you wont be able to get anything more powerful then anyone else, but you sure can get something that looks really cool and very few people have.

This sounds good to me, as long as there's items to strive for it's fine. I'm big on cosmetics and dyes and extra sfx in these types of games so that's a plus in my book. I want to feel rewarded and have progression, even if it's just for vanity.

Negaiido

If you think about the time that has passed, it feels like it was yesterday when the most infamous phrase was:

"When it's ready"

Hopefully this game won't be dissapointing in a few months :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 9.5-12.5 hours).
If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Tutorial Video (Watch if you have no idea what the game is like)
and
Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Play With a Controller (it's fun as hell).

Yx5ve.gif

That is the problem. Everything appeals to me right now. Heh. Yes, yes, its a good problem to have
I just finally decided on my 5 characters within the last two hours, and it felt like I was disowning family members to settle on the 3 classes I'm skipping

alphaNoid

Banned
Maybe so, but I'm pretty sure most Gamestop stores ran out of Headstart codes already. Definitely call them up before you make the purchase.

Very smart idea, I will do that.

edit. Just called my local store, they have pre purchases available and basically give me a code on my receipt. Sounds like I use that to get the game online and the 3 day head start?

ParityBit

I just finally decided on my 5 characters within the last two hours, and it felt like I was disowning family members to settle on the 3 classes I'm skipping

Haha. Whats funny is that I cant even decide on what one I want to play this weekend! I went though all the betas, followed the game. Read and watched everything and all I do is "nod" as I read/watch. :) So sad!

LogicStep

I'm trying to decide if I should purchase now. My internet is so bad (100kb/s max) that I won't be able to download the game in time for tonight, maybe even the day after. At the same time I'm thinking I rather have a physical copy of the game instead of a digital version. I don't know what to do.

I also have the problem with deciding what class and race I want to play.

Last question of the day from me (I promise). Will our headstart characters and progress carry over to the game as it launched? I assume it will, hence the headstart title but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom