• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I like patches, I don't like the fact that they release a lot at this time.
This feels like rushing something before release. I wonder what these pathes are for.

Well all those stress tests did have some sort of purpose. I agree though, its kinda last minute stuff.

PewPewK

As much as I like patches, I don't like the fact that they release a lot at this time.
This feels like rushing something before release. I wonder what these pathes are for.

Last minute optimizations, bug fixes, everything under the sun probably. What, you'd rather they not patch the game up at all? I love how responsive they are with their patching.

Piecake

Fuck fuck fuck

Jumped on the bandwagon. Going to playing with some IRL friends and I have no clue what to play as (Mesmer, Necromancer and Warrior have however already been picked) so I'll just throw out some questions:

Do Guardians suck balls? Seems like this game, due to its simple aggro mechanics and non-trinity based gameplay, is all about damage and I don't really see how they fit in. Are their support abilities good enough to warrant less dps? Or maybe you actually do need a tank? My Warrior friend seems intent to use 2H Sword, could he carry fill that role?

What's up with Elementalist? Seems like a neat take on the Mage class but I'd like to know if switching attunements incurs a cooldown? It would also be nice to know if there's a recommended weapon for a beginner such as myself :)

Engineer, Ranger and Thief: I don't know what I feel about these really, anyone feel like they have the time to make a pitch for these classes perhaps? :p

Engineer is awesome. You get guns and a bunch of crazy ass abilities. super fun

As for guardian, Guardian is really quite good. And dont be fooled, guardian dps is extremely competitive. You dont need a tank, but that doesnt mean you just sit there and bash the mobs face in. You need to dodge, block, blind, and control the enemy so that he doesnt pound on you or your friends. guardians are quite good at that with all of their bubbles, mitigation and ally support.

Id say that guardians are right now probably the best executed (by arenanet) class in the game next to elementalists and warriors

Elementalists can swithc attunements any time. You get a CD on the attunement you switch. So you can go from earth to fire to water to lightning super quick. Youd just be stuck inl ighting for a bit after that

Absinthe

So looks like our baby wants to cook a little longer and I get to play tonight.

Excited-kid-birthday.gif

lol51

Seems like patches are different and easy to push for GW2. Typically no downtime needed or server restarts... and you can see results quickly.

chiablo

Seems like patches are different and easy to push for GW2. Typically no downtime needed or server restarts... and you can see results quickly.

I'd rather have constant patching that doesn't interrupt gameplay than a lackluster release that requires months to patch (cough cough diablo 3 cough.)

Negaiido

Last minute optimizations, bug fixes, everything under the sun probably. What, you'd rather they not patch the game up at all? I love how responsive they are with their patching.

lol51 said:

You both are right but it just happens to be that there are a lot of patches near the headstart. Last minute changes are never that good but ye we'll see when the servers start :)

Absinthe

I'm gonna tell your kid this story one day

Haha.. I'll deny it

Seriously though, super stoked to be a dad but I guess he's just relaxing for the time being. Wife's going in on Monday for an eval if nothing happens this weekend. They say the first child has a tendency to show up late.

Bento

Engineer is awesome. You get guns and a bunch of crazy ass abilities. super fun

As for guardian, Guardian is really quite good. And dont be fooled, guardian dps is extremely competitive. You dont need a tank, but that doesnt mean you just sit there and bash the mobs face in. You need to dodge, block, blind, and control the enemy so that he doesnt pound on you or your friends. guardians are quite good at that with all of their bubbles, mitigation and ally support.

Id say that guardians are right now probably the best executed (by arenanet) class in the game next to elementalists and warriors

Elementalists can swithc attunements any time. You get a CD on the attunement you switch. So you can go from earth to fire to water to lightning super quick. Youd just be stuck inl ighting for a bit after that
Thanks for the reply :) Another Elementalist question, Fiery Greatsword, is it a conjurable weapon and if so, is it permanent? Seems like a really cool weapon for a mage :p

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw that it is an elite skill.

Ferrio

Banned
I just realized I haven't though about what crafting I want to do.. almost completely ignored gathering and stuff in game.. Hrmmm.

Yes, I saw it and replied (there may be mention of an orgasm). It's exciting because your innovation allows for manipulation of the map without doing anything to damage the rest of the configuration. I'm going to give it all a shot tonight :D

Actually... I did nothing to the map manipulation, it was exactly like that in the Simplified configuration. In the Simplified version, RB + left-right was mapped to mouse wheel up/down, while RB + up/down was mapped to PgUp/PgDown, allowing for both zooming and layer select.

In fact, now that I think about it, it might be the OPPOSITE; zooming and layer selecting are most likely not working now when clicking R3, since now it moves to another layer where RB clicks, doesn't shift. :/ I'll have to check it in retail, but I'm sure I can fix it somehow.

When did you update this? Is it part of your "simplified" profile? I just grabbed your stuff last night so curious if I have the latest and greatest. I'm looking forward to testing it out.

I updated it a few hours ago, so no, you should download it again. In my opinion, my new "Hold Select" configuration supersedes and makes obsolete all my other configurations, including Simplified. :)

Rarutos

Used some of my left over GW1 money to get up to 20 monument points. Wish I could get up to 23 at least, but people are selling those weapons for over 100k, and I can't afford that. I'd only need two different ones! Oh well. I guess I'm stuck at 20 because I'm too lazy to actually do some questing and whatnot.

Lyonaz

Just pre-purchased the game from their main site. Am at 18% download now @ around 10-12MB/sec.

So what else do I need to do? Update my nVidia drivers for my GTX670?

BrettWeir

Used some of my left over GW1 money to get up to 20 monument points. Wish I could get up to 23 at least, but people are selling those weapons for over 100k, and I can't afford that. I'd only need two different ones! Oh well. I guess I'm stuck at 20 because I'm too lazy to actually do some questing and whatnot.

Dang. Too bad you weren't working on it a month or so ago. Quite a few of us were helping eachother out. Be it money, mini pets, or missions. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Actually... I did nothing to the map manipulation, it was exactly like that in the Simplified configuration. In the Simplified version, RB + left-right was mapped to mouse wheel up/down, while RB + up/down was mapped to PgUp/PgDown, allowing for both zooming and layer select.

In fact, now that I think about it, it might be the OPPOSITE; zooming and layer selecting are most likely not working now when clicking R3, since now it moves to another layer where RB clicks, doesn't shift. :/ I'll have to check it in retail, but I'm sure I can fix it somehow.
Oh :-[ Well that's what I meant...

I'd like to be able to click the stick, press Start, manipulate (zoom/layer) the map, press start, click again. Is that how your config worked before? o.o

So I'm sure this has been asked a million times already, but I've had my code from GMG since back in April, and have been playing the BWE's and whatnot. Do I need to do anything else to get into the headstart other than run the client? Or is there some retail serial number I need to punch in somewhere?

Rarutos

Dang. Too bad you weren't working on it a month or so ago. Quite a few of us were helping eachother out. Be it money, mini pets, or missions. :(

Haha, too bad indeed. Oh well, it's not too big a deal at least. Those weapons seem really hard to obtain and I'm way too lazy to try to grind for them, or for more money. I only need a few more minipets to get one more point though, and still haven't found a green one. But oh well, I shouldn't dwell on it and just move on and be excited for Guild Wars 2. :)

I updated it a few hours ago, so no, you should download it again. In my opinion, my new "Hold Select" configuration supersedes and makes obsolete all my other configurations, including Simplified. :)
Doh! Ok, same site, correct? Should be a quick enough download once I get home. Nice job, btw.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Headstart Begins in 5-8 hours.

Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 5.5-8.5 hours).
Amazon Standard Editions are out, but Digital Deluxe editions still have headstart access. Other versions are iffy.

If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Tutorial Video (Watch if you have no idea what the game is like)
and
Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Finally: Play With a Controller (it's fun as hell).

ibxhqFFmQfW8Mp.gif

(thanks Sethos)

vesp

annoyed, I bought a headstart code for my partner from that ebay link yesterday and they sent me an invalid code, I complained and they just sent me a second code that is also invalid and I am now probably waiting another 24 hours for a responce and she is missing the beginning of headstart.

http://gaiscioch.com/tavern/guildwars_crafting/post_35198.html
Best crafting guide I've seen, with some suggestions on what to pick for each class.

Great, I have yet to decide a profession...but then depending of the profesion I should choose the appropiate crafting classes...but shit, I want to make money so jeweler is a MUST...OH FUCK...I'm not a explorer player...but jeweler is used by all PROFESSIONS!!...but the again I WANT MY LEGENDARY WEAPON!!...I WANT A SWORD!!...OH HOLY JESUS That neeeds artificer and they don't make monet on the market!!.....but wait..I don't even know if my profession uses a sword, since I don't know WHAT PROFESSION I WAAAAANNNNNTTT!!......ashjadhuahdahd

*Head explodes*

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Great, I have yet to decide a profession...but then depending of the profesion I should choose the appropiate crafting classes...but shit, I want to make money so jeweler is a MUST...OH FUCK...I'm not a explorer player...but jeweler is used by all PROFESSIONS!!...but the again I WANT MY LEGENDARY WEAPON!!...I WANT A SWORD!!...OH HOLY JESUS That neeeds artificer and they don't make monet on the market!!.....but wait..I don't even know if my profession uses a sword, since I don't know WHAT PROFESSION I WAAAAANNNNNTTT!!......ashjadhuahdahd

*Head explodes*
this game is so shallow

Family dinner now; gonna check back in when I get home before napping until around 11:00PM EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom