• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

THERE IS NO PROFIT IN THE ETERNAL ALCHEMY
I CAN RUN FASTER THAN A CENTAUR
IT'S A BAD DAY TO MAKE WINE... BUT IT'S A GREAT DAY TO DRINK IT
ALL THINGS HAVE A RIGHT TO GROW

TAKE HEED, I HAVEN'T TAKEN LEAVE OF MY SENSES! I'VE SEEN CREATURES OF METAL AND STEAM!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't let the enemy see me bleed!

I actually like Agent Spira's voice actress a lot, but what the hell kind of expression is that?

Oh wow. Was wandering about Southsun Cove last night now I'm 80. Just outside Pearl Islet...

Excuse me! Do you have a moment?

Me: Can't you see I'm hitting this #^%*£$£ Karka?

*Karka dies*

Me: You are such a pest, I don't have time for you.

Parked my character for five minutes to take a comfort break. Came back to a chatlog full of "Excuse me! Do you have a moment?" for hundreds of pages.

Timer on that is crazy.

Ashodin

quimbywave.gif

I dare you, hit me!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
thascalanioncatacombsarealimitedaccessareaidentifyyourselvesthascalanioncatacombsarealimitedaccessareaidentifyyourselvesthascalanioncatacombsarealimitedaccessareaidentifyyourselvesthascalanioncatacombsarealimitedaccessareaidentifyyourselvesthascalanioncatacombsarealimitedaccessareaidentifyyourselvesthascalanioncatacombsarealimitedaccessareaidentifyyourselvesthascalanioncatacombsarealimitedaccessareaidentifyyourselvesthascalanioncatacombsarealimitedaccessareaidentifyyourselves

There is an extent to which I miss Blingg.
Oh wow. Was wandering about Southsun Cove last night now I'm 80. Just outside Pearl Islet...

Me: Can't you see I'm hitting this #^%*£$£ Karka?
That's my secondary home, Pearl Islet. Dem skelks...

edit: by the way I feel six feet tall.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Some of it's quite good. Zojja, Tybalt and Honor's Claw are pretty enjoyable, and I always like Steve Blum. The lows are just daaaaamn low.

Boogdud

Trahaerne is terrible. And there's a Charr character that sounds like she's speaking to a cup.

As far as I can tell there's literally one va that does every female charr voice. It's not great the first time you hear it, after the 20th character in story mode that sounds exactly the same it's really irritating. Granted the voice acting in gw1 was horrid but I really thought there would be more improvement (aside from the 4 or 5 well known va's).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aw, I think Detha's funny. "No one is arguing about the need for a plan. Your plan is just stupid and won't work."

Just cause it was the rage for a bit, figured I'd post my modest goals now that I've hit lvl 80 with my main toon:

1. deck out my male human guardian in gear I like - Done. Heavy plate from karma vendors around Frostgorge Sound (transmuted to lvl 80 rares for now)
2. deck out my female norn warrior alt in gear I like - Like the look of tier 2 cultural armor. Need about 4g more for the complete set.
3. Finish the personal story - I'm at the lvl 72 - 73 quests, a few more to go.
4. Visit and complete at least one run one of all the major dungeons, preferably in story mode - 4 out of 8 done. Finding PUG for story mode runs is tough but hopefully shouldn't be too bad to complete the rest

And that's bout it. Game is really fun and I suspect I'll bounce in and out casually going foward (probably level up an alt or two a bit along the way) but I don't know if I'll do too much grinding for complete dungeons sets or more "hardcore" achievements. Maybe I'll try some wvw or pvp at some point as well.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Aw, I think Detha's funny. "No one is arguing about the need for a plan. Your plan is just stupid and won't work."

Her dialogue before the ghosts attack in the final room is cringe worthy. Sounds like the words are being read off the page by someone who stopped school after Kindergarten.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just cause it was the rage for a bit, figured I'd post my modest goals now that I've hit lvl 80 with my main toon:

1. deck out my male human guardian in gear I like - Done. Heavy plate from karma vendors around Frostgorge Sound (transmuted to lvl 80 rares for now)
2. deck out my female norn warrior alt in gear I like - Like the look of tier 2 cultural armor. Need about 4g more for the complete set.
3. Finish the personal story - I'm at the lvl 72 - 73 quests, a few more to go.
4. Visit and complete at least one run one of all the major dungeons, preferably in story mode - 4 out of 8 done. Finding PUG for story mode runs is tough but hopefully shouldn't be too bad to complete the rest

And that's bout it. Game is really fun and I suspect I'll bounce in and out casually going foward (probably level up an alt or two a bit along the way) but I don't know if I'll do too much grinding for complete dungeons sets or more "hardcore" achievements. Maybe I'll try some wvw or pvp at some point as well.
Aw don't PUG em! You're in the guild ain'tcha? Story mode in every dungeon (I think) is very very lucrative now, and totally worth repeating. I'm happy to go to any of them. I think the only Story mode I don't like is CoF, although the last fight is fairly cool for a gimmick boss. Fuck Logan for clearly having access to an Unlimited Sanctuary elite and using it one time ever, though.
Kanik said:
Her dialogue before the ghosts attack in the final room is cringe worthy. Sounds like the words are being read off the page by someone who stopped school after Kindergarten.
You mean um "I had some scouts drop off the parts but I have to build them myself" right? That line is so fucking unnecessary. Like any of the players would go "wait, wtf is she doing? did she have scouts drop off the parts first or something?"

KingKong

Does anyone know how well Guild Wars 1 holds up after playing GW2? I played it when it first came out and I think I beat Factions but stopped before Nightfall/Eye of the North which people say is the best content, so I'm thinking of picking up the trilogy if it goes on Steam Winter sale

So, do people still play it? I think I remember that they added a lot of bot support so people could solo pretty much everything. Also, could I just play Nightfall/Eye of the North without the other two expansions?

Taffer

I think the only Story mode I don't like is CoF, although the last fight is fairly cool for a gimmick boss. Fuck Logan for clearly having access to an Unlimited Sanctuary elite and using it one time ever, though.

It's a golden opportunity to throw toilet paper at Baelfire though.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
You mean um "I had some scouts drop off the parts but I have to build them myself" right? That line is so fucking unnecessary. Like any of the players would go "wait, wtf is she doing? did she have scouts drop off the parts first or something?"

That's the one! If the line wasn't ridiculous enough, the delivery is so monotone.

usea

Does anyone know how well Guild Wars 1 holds up after playing GW2? I played it when it first came out and I think I beat Factions but stopped before Nightfall/Eye of the North which people say is the best content, so I'm thinking of picking up the trilogy if it goes on Steam Winter sale

So, do people still play it? I think I remember that they added a lot of bot support so people could solo pretty much everything. Also, could I just play Nightfall/Eye of the North without the other two expansions?
I played gw1 for like 2 weeks after it came out. I couldn't stand it. You can't jump. The game itself is all 2d. I'm all about the jumping :(

Rawk Hawk

People are still on it, I logged on the other day to check my /age and a few people were in EotN. With the ability to use heroes and what not, you can really solo most things in it, if you are in just for the story. Velion helped me through a lot of the GW1 story mode with me being worthless, and him and his heroes doing all the heavy lifting.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

It's still supported quite heavily (a little too much in my opinion ;)) and eeeverything has been refined to a point. It's a great game, quite revolutionary for its time as I believe GW2 is today, and has tons of content in EotN alone; the answer is also yes to the latter question.

All that said.... eeeerrgh. I went back after some of the BWEs to get a few extra HoM points, and man, it really doesn't hold up once you've played the sequel. Graphically it wasn't quite as jarring as I expected, but you will CONSTANTLY try to jump. Not only that, but being able to jump is just the player-agency effect of a complete alteration in environmental design- you can only move horizontally. You can't walk off a cliff. There is no "falling damage." Also, while instancing the zones was completely necessary toward their model at the time... well, let's just say that if it feels lonely to you in some of the less-frequented zones in GW2, you will be driven insane by the feeling of literally solo content, even with 7 bots beside you.

Aw don't PUG em! You're in the guild ain'tcha? Story mode in every dungeon (I think) is very very lucrative now, and totally worth repeating. I'm happy to go to any of them. I think the only Story mode I don't like is CoF, although the last fight is fairly cool for a gimmick boss. Fuck Logan for clearly having access to an Unlimited Sanctuary elite and using it one time ever, though.

Yup, I'm in the guild. I'll def be trying over the next few days. Need to get on mumble though.

KingKong

Oh yeah, I forgot about the lack of jumping haha. It didn't really bother me back when I was playing since all the environments were designed around it though

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh yeah, I forgot about the lack of jumping haha. It didn't really bother me back when I was playing since all the environments were designed around it though
It didn't bother me back in the day at all either, it kind of never really occurred to me, even playing GW1 with a gamepad (hint, this was a novelty and not a good idea at all. totally differnet with gw2). It's just when going back it really stands out. My brain wouldn't let me consistently understand what was wrong with the space bar..

etiolate

Banned
I actually love the city chatter and random city talk. It's mostly the story mode voice acting that's a bit on the meh side for me.

usea

I actually love the city chatter and random city talk. It's mostly the story mode voice acting that's a bit on the meh side for me.
Occasionally the chatter is funny, but it just repeats constantly with very little variety. You don't want to hear the same thing more than 2-3 times, and hearing it twice per minute for hours is just shit. I wish you could turn it off as a separate volume option (same with characters talking during battle).

By Ogden's hammer, what savings!

Also, why is there no keybind option for muting all sound in the game? Should be a mandatory feature in games like this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Somebody just posted this screenshot on reddit
YGf30.jpg

??

edit: Realllllly helpful tip here, though I can't really keep from laughing at the english
5xvZ2.png

I play my MMOs on mute so I haven't heard the so-called bad voice acting yet. And I don't expect MMOs to have quality VAs in the first place.

Speaking of Guild Wars 1, I want to play it so I can get my fiery dragon sword to complement Jormag's Breath. Spend $20 on another game + countless hours for a skin? Yes I'm that crazy and only then will my warrior be complete. Hopefully the grind and out-dated gameplay won't be too bad to get the 10 or so FoM points.

Luigi87

Started playing this two weeks ago. Hit 80 on Monday (Necromancer), so started rolling a Mesmer.

Except I play on Jade Quarry, because friends of mine play there.
... Ergo, I wonder how many GAFfers potentially killed me on WvW <_<

Lyng

Started playing this two weeks ago. Hit 80 on Monday (Necromancer), so started rolling a Mesmer.

Did you have a vacation or something? That seems extremely fast.

I am still stuck at 48 with my main and I have been playing since the beta. (I have been hit with abit of altitis though but still)

Rawk Hawk

I play my MMOs on mute so I haven't heard the so-called bad voice acting yet. And I don't expect MMOs to have quality VAs in the first place.

Speaking of Guild Wars 1, I want to play it so I can get my fiery dragon sword to complement Jormag's Breath. Spend $20 on another game + countless hours for a skin? Yes I'm that crazy and only then will my warrior be complete. Hopefully the grind and out-dated gameplay won't be too bad to get the 10 or so FoM points.

Same here, any game I use something like mumble on I usually play muted.

KageZero

Ok, so i played the game for 7-8 hours, almost lvl 13 and so far it was a great experience. I'm playing on gunnars hold so if anyone else is there add me since i don't know anyone who is playing this game. Do you have weapon/armor recommendation for this level (13-20) and where i can find/craft/buy them? I selected jewelery and (one that makes weapons for elementalist, cant remember exact name) but i don't know what to do with those 2 :D. For weapon im using scepter, is this the best type or should i switch to something else. And about traits what to do with those, so far i haven't selected anything.

Retro

Ok, so i played the game for 7-8 hours, almost lvl 13 and so far it was a great experience. I'm playing on gunnars hold so if anyone else is there add me since i don't know anyone who is playing this game. Do you have weapon/armor recommendation for this level (13-20) and where i can find/craft/buy them? I selected jewelery and (one that makes weapons for elementalist, cant remember exact name) but i don't know what to do with those 2 :D. For weapon im using scepter, is this the best type or should i switch to something else. And about traits what to do with those, so far i haven't selected anything.

- I don't know of any GAFers on Gunnar's Hold, but you can still join the GAF guild regardless of server. Whisper Professor Retro for an invite, I should be on for most of the morning. You'll be able to ask questions there and get quick answers.

- Most of your armor, you'll find as you play, but if your gear is more than 4 or 5 levels than you are, try the trading post (shortcut is O). At your level, most of the gear should be cheap.

- Artificer is the other crafting profession you took. Jeweler makes accessories (mostly to pad out your stats) and Artificier makes staves, scepters, torches and the like.

- Weapon choice represents completely different playstyles for each class. I don't have an elementalist, but I did try Main hand Dagger in the Beta and enjoyed it's melee-like spells. Find whichever weapon's style suits you best (try them all, you can find weapon vendors that sell cheap weapons in all of the major cities, look for a grey sword icon).

- At level 13 you won't have access to many trait points, so I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Luigi87

Did you have a vacation or something? That seems extremely fast.

I am still stuck at 48 with my main and I have been playing since the beta. (I have been hit with abit of altitis though but still)

It certainly was fast... Slightly compounded by the fact that a friend and myself seem to be (without saying to each other) racing against one another to 80.
Though I found levelling itself wasn't a problem clearing maps.
... doing it all again on another toon however..

So I was playing last night. Things were kind of slow in guild so I went to go do my personal story a bit on one of my 80s that I levelled 70-80 through cooking. So I did the story at Fort Trinity. Then I got distracted by an event. Then I got distracted by another event. Then another event nearby. Then I got distracted by a jumping puzzle with a skill point and vista in Shark's Teeth Archipelago.

I was out in the world having fun with it and I had actual productive stuff to do.

Why can't WoW be more like this? Instead of "go and do mindless chores in the world in this daily area or we'll fuck you up with your valor gear acquisition".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Legitimately don't want to pile onto WoW here (by all rights it's clearly an amazing game), I was just really curious about this one comment I saw on reddit. The guy was like "At least ArenaNet has Legendaries that can be used by every class, unlike WoW where it was 'better luck next expansion pack'"... can anyone clarify what he was referring to?

KageZero

I managed to transfer to na server where gaf is. It's not totally smooth as it was on eu but works fine so whom can i whisper now for gaf guild? Also i must say this is the hardest mmo i ever played. I died more times in gw2 then in others mmo i combined on low levels... Sometimes 3 or 4 enemies come together and i cant manage to kill them, besides those lvl 15 monster like etians are hard to kill 1v1 let alone 3v1.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks Keoni. Looks like there were only 3-4 per expansion if I'm reading that right?

Kage, I'm not on at the moment but you can whisper Professor Retro, Nephenee Reginleif, Hawkian The Blade, Ashodin Venteal, Wallach, or Gojira for an invite.

Don't be afraid to die lots! Those early levels are for learning the mechanics of your class and how to combat enemies in disadvantageous situations.

Ettins are perfect for learning to time your dodges. In GW2, you take no damage whatsoever while you are dodging. Wait for an ettin to do a big swing (they do a "charging up" animation) and try dodging until you can do so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom