• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersoc

if grinding isnt fun, that's on the developers. it's their job to mask it, not ours. just look at how much wow has changed over the years because they felt the grind wasn't. specifically getting rid of pvp ranks, which i found rather fun to do with a good pvp group. but i can see how w/o constantly winning it could be boring and long.

besides, some people enjoy doing the same content over because it probably is fun to them. when it becomes not fun is when i feel like you are forced to do it because everyone is. i never felt forced to do arah. i make enough gold just selling shit while i do the daily. easily 1-2g. won't get me my legendary soon, but that's no big deal.

grinding is better defined as doing the same thing over and over. it can be fun, it should be fun. but like i said, it's not fun when you feel forced to do it. which i think it the goal anet is trying to accomplish here. that's why we dont have tiered raids like wow. that's why we have stat caps so in pvp/wvw everyone is more or less equal. you never feel forced to get gear just to play those modes. so you never feel, or shouldn't, that your grinding just to play the game or a part of the game.

i think anet goes a bit too far with their nerfs. it's a quick oh shit reaction rather than looking at WHY it's being done. there's a huge difference. gold if inflating is crazy fast now. to get a legendary anytime soon you need to get quick money now or very, very lucky on drops.

etiolate

Banned
Congrats to nicoga!

As for the Plix anger: I think ANet's done a poor job of making sure they have a viable replacement for whatever they end up nerfing.

In GW1, they had Zaishen Quests and Nikolas the Traveler. The Zaishen Quests were a decent way to make money that offered various rewards for different parts of PvE. You could kill a named boss, complete a mission, or clear an area. You could make a decent sum of money that day by doing these. Nikolas the Traveler offered rewards for certain items and appeared in certain areas. This emphasized the worth of those items and going to those areas.

I think they should have put in something like that before nerfing one of the major sources for making money.

As a Mesmer, I felt they needed to fix Berserker casting through walls, but it was also one of the only viable WvWvW wall siege/defense tools the Mesmer had. When it went away without a skill to replace its wall siege usefulness, it sort of cornered the Mesmer into portal-bitch or skirmisher. Being a solo-centric WvWvWer, I am used to skirmishing so it wasn't a huge slap to the face, but I do become sort of useless once it comes to taking down a wall or defending it.

They were better about this in GW1. Normally a nerf was balanced out with some other skill or part of the game being improved. When they nerfed Ranger spirit spam, they improved Ranger bow attack skills. When they nerfed the accompanying abuse of kindle arrows and bow attacks, they improved other Ranger preps.

edit: I should clarify that when they nerfed Plinx and replaced it with Fractal grinding, they did have one money source replace another, but it wasn't really fixing the problem of centrified activity to make money. That's why I reference the variety of Zaishen Quests.

Katoki

edit: Realllllly helpful tip here, though I can't really keep from laughing at the english
5xvZ2.png

Doesn't work.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm in Illinois drinking nice scotch and beers with Butzopower/Blood Balls, who came in from SF. We're gonna be at Nic's wedding tomorrow. There will be pics. Then we might finally be back to play some Guild Wars with you guys. :D

What the hell why didn't you call!?!

Retro

Upcoming GW1 event to tie into GW2 events
For the Future of Cantha!

Change is coming to Cantha, land of ancient traditions. The Ministry of Purity seeks to unite the Canthan people in defense of their homeland from the hideous Afflicted and other threats. But change can be difficult. Will this rising power usher in a new era of safety and peace or rip Cantha apart?

Winds of Change is a multi-stage storyline set in Cantha that features new quests, new Canthan costumes, and history-making battles. As part of Guild Wars Beyond, Winds of Change sets the stage for the upcoming Guild Wars 2 by portraying crucial historical events.
(Source)

Levyne

Banned
It was new to me =(

Yeah. There was supposed to be an Elona "Guild Wars Beyond" to follow up but it never really happened.

Winds of Change rewarded in two new heroes and gave a sneak peek into how mesmers in GW2 would work (the final boss was a Memser using the Illusion copies of herself which was new at the time)

So I recently started an engineer alt and it's a great profession. Loving all the toolkits and chaining up conditions. The turrents make great "pets," at least in the early stages. This style of stacking conditions fighting was what I was looking for with my initial alt, a necro.

I really, really wanted to like playing the necro but daily life for him is a constant struggle. His best skills are dying and making mountains out of molehills from the most insignificant of mobs. Now while my engi tours the world with aplomb, my poor necro has been relegated to spend the rest of his days in Rata Sum's workshops leveling up the two crafting disciplines required to make my guardian's legendary.

leng jai

Finished my mother at the last second so that's always nice. Hope we can drop a karma banner this weekend at some point - I want to get rid of all these jugs/drips so I can sit around and masterbate over all that karma.

In other news I got up to fractal 11 (thanks lads). This shit is already getting too hard for me so I'll probably have to retire. On the plus side I did get the power/crit/crit damage ascended ring on my first (lol) level 10 run and also managed to make my Endless Quiver. Got lazy and bought the last 2 ectos I needed for the bar bar bargain price of 36 silver.

Proven

May not get time to play the next few days. What's the monthly for PvP and PvE this month? Any changes after seeing how people treated them last month? What ???s are there for Wintersday?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
welp, tried to get my old laptop ready for the weekend, ran windows update. now it bluescreens immediately on the windows load screen, even booting in safe mode. Neat... well, looks like no gaming this weekend. Oh well.

Dries

Just bought a kick ass Longbow from the BLTC. Which got me thinking: Couldn't I just always buy all my armour and whatnot via the BLTC? It seems like it's cheaper and the stats are better. Or is there a catch?

Retro

Just bought a kick ass Longbow from the BLTC. Which got me thinking: Couldn't I just always buy all my armour and whatnot via the BLTC? It seems like it's cheaper and the stats are better. Or is there a catch?

You can do that, but eventually you'll find the prices too steep. A combination of dungeon runs (for both tokens and gold) is probably the best approach, at least it has been for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Depends what you mean by "better." 80 Exotics are pretty expensive, but you can also get them with dungeon tokens. I have some 76 and 78 exotics from the TP, though.

Unmountable boot volume... and a long-broken cd drive means no recovery. This may be the first machine I have ever given up on completely.

BLTC is pretty much always the best way to acquire gear until you hit 70. This is because gear that is masterwork or pre-70 rare is generally unpopular (because everyone is rushing to 80). At 70+, you run into the issue of increasing costs for rares and exotics because they salvage into or require ectoplasm and the skins tend to get cooler-looking. You should have other options, though. Between dungeon tokens, drops, karma, and crafting, you should have some solid options to get level 80 exotic gear.

Dries

You're not going to find any "fun" gear at level 30 regardless of what you do.

I just meant that buying all the best gear via BLTC is more boring than finding cool stuff which is also statistically better through questing/exploration/dungeons.

Arcteryx

I just meant that buying all the best gear via BLTC is more boring than finding cool stuff which is also statistically better through questing/exploration/dungeons.

Try looking at the karma vendor page, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_karma_merchant_items , see if there is anything there to suit your fancy :)

Pretty soon you will be able to start doing dungeons and thus have more access to nicer looking arms/armor.

I'll admit that there is a lack of "found" armor imo. I'm hoping for the next BIG content to include more armor options(please please please).

Do keep in mind that if something has the stats you like while not having the skin you like, there are transmutation stones to help fix the issue.

Proven

Oh yeah, if I'm mostly PvEing on a character and feel like 100%ing an area, then a majority of my equipment will come from heart vendors. They give you from very nice stats, and looking through all the vendors should give you a stat combination you're mostly happy with for both armor and jewelry.

I can sympathize with dropped loot not being all that great for you to use on your character, but I'm happy with this if only because I'm tired of games where progressing your character vertically comes primarily from loot. I don't mind getting loot to sell and then buying stuff, but then I also have the option of salvaging for certain crafts, as well as sending materials to guildies or just stacking to 250 of a certain thing so I get more of a lump sum satisfaction when I sell them on the trading post.

Basically, I hate loot, but I like collecting and money.

etiolate

Banned
One of my problems with loot is that rewards are way too random and it becomes disheartening.

Girlfriend and I do the Secret Garden jumping puzzle in Mount Maelstrom. This involved defeating a veteran level mob to get in, then completing four jumping puzzles to collect keys, then using all those keys to open a chest. The chest has blues and a green in it. =/

Oh but someone got a rare doing it? Nope, that rare came from killing a random spider along the way.

Amount of effort and skill to complete puzzle is much higher than whacking a small spider along the way, but the spider has the greater rewards. This all due to there being too much RNG involved with everything.

Certain feats deserve greater rewards. I can't use the rare or the blues, but at least the rare is worth something. If champion bosses or jumping puzzles had unique skin rewards or town clothes or something worthy of their challenge then it would be a lot better.

But currently everything is so RNG based with only magic find on mob kills making any difference.

Forkball

I finally 100% Cursed Shore today. I got an exotic chest piece, an exotic amulet, some crummy basic transmutation stones, a logs that I sold for about 40s, and about 50s straight cash. Definitely worth the trouble. I'm very close to buying the dagger I want on the TP. I do think the disparity between sellers and buyers for exotics is pretty huge. Someone will put it up for 5 gold, but the highest buying price is less than one gold. Makes it almost not worth selling.

I find that turning off the entire UI (ctrl+shift+h) is a lot of fun when I want to get immersed into he game. It becomes harder (especially with a non-melee or something I'm not familiar with) due to the lack of so many cues, but it feels so rewarding. I'm just controlling a guy and killing stuff. I don't know how injured I really am or if what I'm hacking on is about to die.

Katoki

I finally 100% Cursed Shore today. I got an exotic chest piece, an exotic amulet, some crummy basic transmutation stones, a logs that I sold for about 40s, and about 50s straight cash. Definitely worth the trouble. I'm very close to buying the dagger I want on the TP. I do think the disparity between sellers and buyers for exotics is pretty huge. Someone will put it up for 5 gold, but the highest buying price is less than one gold. Makes it almost not worth selling.

Items like this WILL sell for that 5 gold point if someone wants it. I can't speak for the buy order being that low as I assume people are hoping someone really doesn't want it or screws up. You can always put something reasonable in if you want that particular item though. What would I do is put in a buy order at 3g50s or something along those lines and wait overnight. It usually results in the item waiting for me in the morning.

I apologize if the wording is a bit off.

KageZero

I must say this is the hardest mmo i ever played, especially the story quests. It's almost impossible to complete these quest without dying at least 2-3 times, there is no way i can fight 3 mobs at same time as elementalist. They just do too much damage, i can't keep up with it. But i see some other classes like warriors who seem to have a much easier time clearing quest, it just looks unfair. Maybe im just too bad, i don't know...

Retro

I must say this is the hardest mmo i ever played, especially the story quests. It's almost impossible to complete these quest without dying at least 2-3 times, there is no way i can fight 3 mobs at same time as elementalist. They just do too much damage, i can't keep up with it. But i see some other classes like warriors who seem to have a much easier time clearing quest, it just looks unfair. Maybe im just too bad, i don't know...

Elementalist is a fragile class to begin with, they're definitely one where keeping mobile and dancing between attunements is essential to success. I haven't played one so I can't give any advice beyond that, but you might consider waiting a few levels before doing a particular story mission that's giving you trouble.

Otherwise, bring friends / guildies.

People always put buy orders for much lower than what an item is usually worth simply because there are a lot of people who will just click sell instead of listing it. This results in the buyer getting the item for much cheaper than normal.

I always list my items, and have never had an issue selling them at a higher price than what people are buying it now for. The only difference is I have to wait a day or two.

Also gaining 11 levels and 5g in one night is a fun way to level.

Ashodin

So I just remembered that I have 100%'d WvW exploration. This means all I have to do is finish up the in-game world and I have my exploration gifts. It will feel good having the star man.

So I just remembered that I have 100%'d WvW exploration. This means all I have to do is finish up the in-game world and I have my exploration gifts. It will feel good having the star man.

Yes the WvW usually takes the longest, especially if your server is not doing well.

I can't believe you made so much money on Passion flowers. I harvested all the pasiflora yesterday but zero flowers. You using anything to increase chances?

Morokh

Nah it's just the quests that are horribly balanced that's all.

Chaos

Yeah they seem to need a lot of work compared to other classes however they can still be pretty tough at higher level if you are good with the attunement switching.

http://youtu.be/FCGz0OezPyo

Complistic

would anyone be up for fractals 1 and maybe 2 in a bit? I've got an alt I want to do fractals on but It seems borderline impossible to get a low level fractal group going.

Ashodin

Yes the WvW usually takes the longest, especially if your server is not doing well.

I can't believe you made so much money on Passion flowers. I harvested all the pasiflora yesterday but zero flowers. You using anything to increase chances?
I bought 250 at 5s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom