• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
1.)

Did a level 30 Fractal run last night for first time (previous high was 26). Easy enough but man, even 30 resist the agony still hits hard at that level.

Makes me want to get another amulet specifically for resist to get it up to 35 (or 40 if they make them able to be (Infused))

2.)

A couple of us tried the Lyssa event yesterday but for some reason there were ONE MILLION TROOPS at one of the seals and we couldn't finish it.

Lunar15

Ah embarrassing, could have figured that out myself I guess. That's good to hear then. I think I saw someone mentioning in-game that the drop rates of these chests have improved, but I didn't think much of it. Seems like that could be worth a try, and a bit of a change, especially if I don't have to resort to the events in Orr. Too much farming there already.

Thanks for the info.

By "improved" they mean, "you now get a rare with every major event*".

*Does not apply to Megadestroyer

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I like how they applied it to that pirate event that no one ever does, but totally forgot about Megadestroyer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What is Ogre wars?
A rarely-done meta event in Fields of Ruin with the new rewards. It's longer, but fun, especially with a decent sized group. We know what the unique exotic from it is, but so far as I know no one has gotten the drop yet, so I really want to farm it.
By "improved" they mean, "you now get a rare with every major event*".

*Does not apply to Megadestroyer
Or Gates of Arah. those seem like such huge oversights, I can't wait for them to fix them... it'll be the first incidence of them adding more events to the rare train, and a great precedent.
I like how they applied it to that pirate event that no one ever does, but totally forgot about Megadestroyer.
Ogre Wars is actually the funniest to me. Had no clue that event existed before this.

edit: codemonkey, since you may be hopping on the train with us, how it works is:
-Can do any event once per day, per character
-The 'per day' reset occurs with the Daily reset
-Two chests, Ulgoth's and Rotbeard's, can be claimed without beating the event or killing a boss or really doing anything
-The Fire Shaman and Fire Elemental chests currently are linked/bugged (can only do one or the other per day)

Ah, of course my legs clip through my boots
DWYEmBE.jpg

Oh well, boots and gauntlets didn't match texture-wise to everything else. The legs still clip through almost every boot though, can anyone think of leggings that will go good with this?
I wanted ones without the skirt, may end up buying the primeval one...

Edit; And yes, I'll admit, I completely fell for the dress-up meta-game at 80.

Retro

Oh well, boots and gauntlets didn't match texture-wise to everything else. The legs still clip through almost every boot though, can anyone think of leggings that will go good with this?

I wanted ones without the skirt, may end up buying the primeval one.

Ah, you're wearing my armor set! For leggings, try grabbing the ones from the same set, which you can see here.

nightmarei_2_0_10_0_t1mkau.jpg

I guess it kinda has a skirt, but it's not like it goes down very far. It looks more like the bottom of a tunic than a skirt.

That site in particular will probably help you find something decent though, so poke around.

Teleporter

Hey guys how uall doin! So im almost lvl10 in pvp and i gathered a lot of mats! Is it worth making new gear as lvl10 or should i store them? I did not make any rabbit gear as lvl1-9 so now im kinda tired of my elementalist visuals!

etiolate

Banned
I had no clue about Ogre Wars or the Golem in Mt Maelstrom. I'm more shocked about the Golem as that's my favorite zone that I have 100% on and every JP within completed.

I didn't know about the chest in Harathi either, but I feel like nobody does Harathi. I think people just burn out on Centaurs by that point.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Same re: mount maelstrom. My #1 favorite zone but in the last two weeks I found out two things about it I hadn't ever seen. Add the fact that they could add more stuff to it at any time, it's just nuts.

Ironically enough I remembered the harathi event/chest because i happened to get a rare from it back in the day. :p plus the earth elemental's kind of cool.

I love the western part of Hirathi, especially that town with the Mediterranean architecture, but the eastern part is just boring brown centaur content imo. I also just found out about the chest last night.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys how uall doin! So im almost lvl10 in pvp and i gathered a lot of mats! Is it worth making new gear as lvl10 or should i store them? I did not make any rabbit gear as lvl1-9 so now im kinda tired of my elementalist visuals!
Level 10 in PvP? I'm confused D:

I recently remapped Harathi on an alt and yeah there are a lot of centaurs. A lot. Of centaurs.
Well, it is their Hinterlands after all
Would be cool if build templates came out with the next update like the preview from TP came with last update.
Took over a year to add to GW1... :p

Shambles

Man, fuck this password bullshit that ANet is constantly pulling. You're not making things any more secure by making me go through so many passwords I just end up taping the damn thing up to the side of my monitor. Go blow yourself and anyone else who thinks we should be treated like a bunch of 12 year olds.

Shambles

I'm on my third password now. And not only do they track all the passwords you've used before but you also can't use a password that someone else has used before. Since I use tiers of passwords for different levels of security I'm not either at the point where I'm using my high security password that I use for my online banking (lol no), making up a new one that no one else has ever used which will promptly have to be written down and forgotten, or slightly alter one of my lower tier security passwords by changing a number to a letter or changing capitalization and hoping I remember how I tweaked it. I know it's not as issue for some people but it's just as bad as those websites that require a password that has to be exactly 8 characters with a capital and a number. These 'security experts' have no idea how human beings work and thing their systems are better when they make things far worse.

Oh well, at least ANet isn't implementing 'security questions' so that anyone who knows what school I went to can get complete control of my account.

Retro

Um... I've only had to change my password once, when they made everyone do it in February (I think it was february, anyways)... maybe the passwords you are using are on their list of easily-cracked/over-used passwords? Are they asking you to change at login or are you just getting e-mails about it (potentially NOT from ANet?)?

Seriously, not sure what is up but this is the first I've ever heard of something like this.

Shambles

They used to just bug me at log in and then it blocked me from playing until I changed it. I probably won't need to remember it until they pull this again since the client remembers the password but it's still annoying. Anyways, on to my daily!

Proven

I'm on my third password now. And not only do they track all the passwords you've used before but you also can't use a password that someone else has used before. Since I use tiers of passwords for different levels of security I'm not either at the point where I'm using my high security password that I use for my online banking (lol no), making up a new one that no one else has ever used which will promptly have to be written down and forgotten, or slightly alter one of my lower tier security passwords by changing a number to a letter or changing capitalization and hoping I remember how I tweaked it. I know it's not as issue for some people but it's just as bad as those websites that require a password that has to be exactly 8 characters with a capital and a number. These 'security experts' have no idea how human beings work and thing their systems are better when they make things far worse.

Oh well, at least ANet isn't implementing 'security questions' so that anyone who knows what school I went to can get complete control of my account.

Um... I've only had to change my password once, when they made everyone do it in February (I think it was february, anyways)... maybe the passwords you are using are on their list of easily-cracked/over-used passwords? Are they asking you to change at login or are you just getting e-mails about it (potentially NOT from ANet?)?

Seriously, not sure what is up but this is the first I've ever heard of something like this.
He probably had to change in Feb too. But I remember when the game launched and there were issues with people logging in (or was it with the authenticator app?) a number of people had to change their passwords again.

edit: codemonkey, since you may be hopping on the train with us, how it works is:
-Can do any event once per day, per character
-The 'per day' reset occurs with the Daily reset
-Two chests, Ulgoth's and Rotbeard's, can be claimed without beating the event or killing a boss or really doing anything
-The Fire Shaman and Fire Elemental chests currently are linked/bugged (can only do one or the other per day)
Thanks for the info guys, that helped a lot.
Is there a page with all the dynamic events and where they are exactly? I know about Ulgoth and the Orr events but a site where I can check on them all together would be pretty neat.
I'll definitely give this a shot then. Seems like a nice change to running citadel of flame every day.

Thanks for the info guys, that helped a lot.
Is there a page with all the dynamic events and where they are exactly? I know about Ulgoth and the Orr events but a site where I can check on them all together would be pretty neat.
I'll definitely give this a shot then. Seems like a nice change to running citadel of flame every day.

Hawkian made this spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag_Vg0f6y7oLdHpEeGltdEVqNFdWUy0wNGxxSjNHRGc#gid=0
Where you can keep track of which ones you have done and for which character.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now if only Hawkian would share a copy of his list of what specific exotics drop from which Events... *cough cough*
It's really, really incomplete! I'd say 50% or more is just speculation (although I did just confirm Zhaitan's Reach for Teq!). I'll make it public soon when a little more is filled in and some of the more wild guesses are removed.
Sweet, that looks really helpful.

Grazie.
Enjoy! Note, you can click the little blue arrow to check off a box, and at 8PM EST you can clear it all off.

Definitely try the Flame Temple Tombs, the Mk. II Golem, the Fire Shaman, and Rotbeard's laughably respawning Risen chest-protectors. Zho'Qafa and Ogre Wars are longer but a blast with a good sized group.

The rest IMO are basically big, pretty loot pinatas, but at least the loot is good now. :p

Couple of days ago I did Ogre Wars with a random level 37 Charr, he was following me so we partied up. All the champ fights where there is a limit came down to last minute.

Thought we were going to fail on second last because you only have 10 min but requires a lot of building destruction and killing a champ and veteran. Luckily another random showed up just in time and was able to finish.

That young Charr had a blast and I got 3 rares. No idea if he had done meta events because he was quite but hope that showed him how cool the event system is.

Levyne

Banned
So what's everyones plans with their newfound "wealth" thanks to better event loot?

I'm working towards Kudzu but not nearly as feverishly as Dreamer.

So what's everyones plans with their newfound "wealth" thanks to better event loot?

I'm working towards Kudzu but not nearly as feverishly as Dreamer.

I just bought the human T2 set for my Engineer. Looks much better on Rangers but it still looks cool I think.

I'm just collecting wealth so that I can help those who helped me with my legendary (by bro, Arken and Varix) when they are ready to craft theirs, if they want me to. If they do not want I'll just start buying more amour sets, converting some of it to GEMs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not sure, really. I think I may want T3 cultural for my ele, so that's something.

This game has a real "rich get richer" thing going on, doesn't it? It's so much easier to make money for me now that i have some in the bank.

It's really, really incomplete! I'd say 50% or more is just speculation (although I did just confirm Zhaitan's Reach for Teq!). I'll make it public soon when a little more is filled in and some of the more wild guesses are removed.

Well it's still only one chest a day and I'd guess low probability for everything but I don't think it would be bad for people to see it. It's your work though so I can understand wanting to wait for it to be more complete.

As for my newer earnings.. I'm saving up for Ilya at the moment but I might just switch over to farming for Incinerator. Looking at what needs to be done is quite daunting though considering I don't do dungeons at all really. It would be much easier to get Ilya but Incinerator would be a much better payoff.. I'm conflicted. I also want to eventually get either Aether or Wintersbark. I've got quite a long journey ahead of me.

Trey

Haven't been online for ages. Is this game still alive? Man, the late game maps were mind-bogglingly boring.

Very much so. Anet is still rolling out content updates at a monthly rate. Recent changes have increased meta event participation, so zones are livelier than ever.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haven't been online for ages. Is this game still alive? Man, the late game maps were mind-bogglingly boring.
Orr got a substantial revamp in January and is kind of awesome now, but I imagine you'd have more fun doing the other updated world events anyway. Another large patch comes in less than two weeks too.

After recovering a bit from blowing all my TP baron money making The Predator, I just started leveling alts by crafting. It's quick but oh so painful...

Once I get back to playing, I'll probably just do something crazy again like donating a commander's book to the guild or gifting random guildies gold. I'm a humanitarian what can I say.

Jira

For those who may not be able to view the new WvW post:

World vs. World:
The End of Culling

by Habib Loew on March 13, 2013

If you’ve ever played World vs. World in a large group, you’ve probably noticed that there were some enemy players that you couldn’t see. That was an unfortunate side effect of a process called culling. I’m pleased to announce that in the upcoming patch on March 26, we’re going to turn culling off completely in WvW. This will make invisible enemies (except those using invisibility skills, of course) a thing of the past.

How different of an experience will that be for WvW players? I think these before and after screenshots make it pretty clear:

Culling On

e60feCulling-ON.jpg

Culling Off

1f478Culling-OFF.jpg

So What Is Culling, Exactly?

Normally as you move through the world, any character (either an NPC or another player) within a fairly large circle around you gets reported to your client. This lets the client draw the character, allows you to select the character as an attack target, etc.

In order to cut down on the network resources that were used by the game and to reduce the client-side system requirements, we implemented a culling system, which imposed a limit on the number of characters that could ever be reported to your client. This meant that only the characters closest to you would actually get reported.

While this achieved our goal of limiting bandwidth and client-side resource utilization, it had the unfortunate side effect of causing large battles in WvW to be confusing, as there were sometimes many enemy players that were completely invisible. Additionally, there were side effects of culling which could result in stealth characters getting up to two seconds of additional invisibility when coming out of stealth. By removing culling, we’ve been able to eliminate these negative side effects and greatly increase the epic feel of large WvW battles.

For the sake of clarity, I want to make a clear distinction between our usage of the term “culling” in this post (meaning to limit the amount of data the server reports to the client) and other uses of the word “culling” related to graphics (discarding backward facing triangles in models, triangles or whole models that are occluded, etc.). Our changes are to the client/server culling and have no bearing on basic graphics operations in the GW2 client.

A World vs. World without Culling

Now that every client will know about every character within range, we’ve provided a new set of WvW options to control how all those characters will be rendered. Setting these options should allow players with various hardware configurations to enjoy WvW at a reasonable frame rate.

Under the new system, characters can be rendered in three different ways:

High resolution models - These are the high-res character models that you’re all already familiar with.
Lower resolution fallback models - These are the models that we’ve been using as placeholders in WvW while the hi-res models load. They differ depending on race and armor class, though human, sylvari, and norn share the same model.
Nameplates only - We don’t render the model at all and instead only show the nameplate for that character.

We’ve also added two new options to allow players to select how WvW characters are displayed:

WvW Character Limit - This controls how many of the reported characters render with a model and how many are rendered only with nameplates.
WvW Character Quality - This controls how many of the characters rendered with a model use the high resolution models and how many use the lower resolution fallback models.

The World vs. World team has been working on this change for quite a while now and we’re very excited to see it go live. Epic battles have always been a part of WvW and now players will get to experience them in their full glory!

We’ll see you on the battlefield!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Additionally, there were side effects of culling which could result in stealth characters getting up to two seconds of additional invisibility when coming out of stealth. By removing culling, we’ve been able to eliminate these negative side effects and greatly increase the epic feel of large WvW battles.
Yeesh, I didn't even know about this... I can feel the hordes snarling to get at my thief from here.

The options offered are fantastic. "Nameplates only" is an excellent compromise for people with meager PCs to still get the benefits of this change to the engine.

docbon

Yeesh, I didn't even know about this... I can feel the hordes snarling to get at my thief from here.

Yeah, culling and a thief's stealth is such a deadly combination. The thief can just pop in and out of stealth, jabbing you repeatedly, while you wonder what the fuck is going on.

etiolate

Banned
http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/03/12/has-guild-wars-2-become-too-complicated/

We know there was an initial influence cost that was very high that a lot of smaller guilds weren’t able to get into it, so we’re looking at ways that we can improve that, make smaller guilds more able to compete on the influence gathering area.

Classic vague ANet response on an issue. I don't see how they could have at any point thought the influence costs did anything but turn away small guilds.

Ideally, IN MY OPINION, you would want Guild Missions not only be there to give big guilds something to do, but to give small guilds a way to build up in size or activcity and accomplish something together. Right now, they pretty much turn away small guilds due to the influence cost and amount of people required.

I want us to slow down on the number of systems that we’re adding and polish up and clean up the ones that we have added so they’re easier to understand, with better UI for them, those types of things, that’ll be some of the stuff that we’re focused on in the future. One of the major goals of GW was to allow anyone to jump in and play. We have a team dedicated to making sure that it’s easy, and we’re going to continue to improve that process as much as we can.

One of the things we might do is not unlock the ability to get to some of these currencies until you get later on in the game. That way, they’re not overwhelming in the beginning.

I am worried about this answer to the problem of too many currencies. I don't want to be gated out, and I don't want my low level alts to not be able to work towards rewards. I guess you can hide the currency from low level players, but not take away their ability to earn them.

I am also generally against appealing towards an idea of the dumb, naive consumer/player. It tends to hurt your product and not engage casual players to get more involved in your product. It's not like a new player being presented with a currency they don't understand is going to hurt them or their characer. It will just sit in their UI until they figure out what it's for.

The better answer would be to curtail some of the currencies. Guild commendations don't really seem necessary and could be rolled into laurels, and then have the cost of laurel items adjusted a tiny bit. Also, Karma is a huge Legendary grind, but for those not chasing a Legendary, karma is something that just piles up over time. The only dumps are Cultural Weapons and the Orrian boxes, which are RNG and a bit of a poor karma-to-gold conversion. If I could buy Ascended items with Karma then I would be more active in more parts of the game as the most abundant reward from multi-activity (karma) would actually be worth something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom