• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I don't have any pure shatter builds, and I do use it on my Control and my new Damage build, but I'm debating its usefulness as well.

Basically, if three or more of the skills most important to your build are the from the following list:
  • Phantasmal Berserker
  • Phantasmal Defender
  • Phantasmal Duelist
  • Phantasmal Mage
  • Phantasmal Warden
  • Phantasmal Warlock
And you're traiting to keep your phantasms alive as long as possible, it's worth it. My damage build employs Berserker and Defender for this purpose, so I'll probably keep it around, even though Swordsman doesn't benefit much. However, my control build uses only Mage, and briefly (one confusion cast then shatter for more confusion), so I'll probably ditch it from that build altogether.

1 to 1.5 seconds less between attacks might not seem like much in testing, but often times your goal will be keeping phantasms up merely long enough to get two attacks off rather than one. It can have a big effect on your total DPS, but again, relying on more than one of the above skills for a lot of your damage is crucial to making it worthwhile.

I use the hell out of Warden and Warlock in my build and have the traits and utility to really boost up their health so they tend to stay alive in most situations. I'll go ahead and keep it in then, that's a valid point that those seconds will add up in an prolonged encounter. My phantasms expire more from killing their target than they do from enemies taking them down, typically. It's very rare for them to only get an attack or two in (unless the enemy goes down that fast).

Anno

Accidentally joined the vigil with my ele (how?!) so now I'm spending some time with my Charrdian to get to join the Priory.

I like him a lot, a lot of the guardian skills have great "oomph." I don't think Greatsword is for me, cool as it is. I want Binding Blades on every weapon, though.

I think Guardians' class mechanic is just kind of lacking. I can't wait to trait them to make do something neat when activated (is such a thing even possible)?

I want to try some realllllly reallly unusual Guardian build. What are the least popular options?

I can tell I'm going to have a support build that barely even worries about doing any damage centered around staff.

edit: Ah, I forgot I loved hammer in the BWE. This is satisfying. Also, I can see some advanced stuff with being able to pop the virtues during a channel.

Takes a while for synergies to really build up in Guardian traits. I'd probably do 15 into Radiance then 5 into Virtues ASAP, then start working through Honor. It's not rare, for sure, but it's a great combination of support and some damage. Dishing out Might all over the place while supporting with shouts and Resolve.

If you want to try something whacky maybe experiment with mass-weapon summons. Hammer and sword both draw aggro over virtually everything in the game for some reason, and the bow can be used for some really impressive condition removal.

Overall I feel a little boxed-in by guardian builds. Altruistic Healing and/or Pure of Voice are just too good to skip if you aren't going for something really specialized and probably WvW or PvP focused. Since I run a little of everything, 0/15/30/20/5 is the way to go for me.

Lunar15

In terms of playing a Guardian, I do feel like they're slightly limited by both their skills and their traits. However, I feel like a fully spec'd guardian can do many different things with very few skills. They seemed designed so that every action 1. Hurts an enemy, 2. Helps you, and 3. Helps your team. I like this condensed versatility, because overall it means less "pre-battle" choices and more "in-battle" choices.

Anywho, I used this as a simple, rigid guide to start with, but I tailored it to my playstyle over time.

P.S. The most recent patch made staff guardians even more awesome. Check it out.

P.P.S. If you want to be wacky, yeah use spirit weapons. No one uses those things. Find some way to make them viable, and you'll be revered.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
P.P.S. If you want to be wacky, yeah use spirit weapons. No one uses those things. Find some way to make them viable, and you'll be revered.
Challenge accepted. The hammer is already my best friend. Need to look up what other CC options I can have with a guardian :D

Now sure exactly what the sword Command does. Can it hit multiple targets?

Anno

If they're really close. It does between 3 and 4 times the damage of a normal sword swing, though, so if you can time it right as the sword is going to die/expire you can get a decent little damage burst.

Boogdud

Just logged in after a few months hiatus.

They still haven't fixed the Asura/Sylvari Cultural weapons? I mean, that's a day 2 thing.

(for those that don't know, the Asura and Sylvari have their cultural weapons swapped for tier 2 or 3 I believe, so you are effectively locked out of ever getting them)

Also, Charr's footprints are still backwards, which drives me absolutely crazy.

Both of these are pretty damn low hanging fruit. Honestly I don't know how they made it out of beta.

They still haven't fixed the Asura/Sylvari Cultural weapons? I mean, that's a day 2 thing.

(for those that don't know, the Asura and Sylvari have their cultural weapons swapped for tier 2 or 3 I believe, so you are effectively locked out of ever getting them)

Both of these are pretty damn low hanging fruit. Honestly I don't know how they made it out of beta.

Argh, why'd you have to say that?! :p

hythloday

I stopped bothering to farm for a Legendary, so there wasn't a need for the Gift of Exploration. I didn't really see a reason to get 100% map completion anymore, so I stopped working on it.

Now with the guild bounties, I suddenly want to open up all the maps again, to help me locate targets and get to them faster.

Ho ho ho.

etiolate

Banned

It must be tier 2 cultural weapons, though every cultural weapon tier but tier 3 are skins that can be found elsewhere in the game so it doesn't bug me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
it doesn't matter, any race can use any cultural weapons. Seeing as how no one is barred from anything, i dont see that as low hanging fruit at all and hope that's low on the list.

Xevren

If anyone happens to read this, I was in the gaf group for fractal 2. My connection is just going nuts and I can't even connect anymore so feel free to relay that in guild chat so they can at least get someone who doesn't dc nonstop like I seem to be doing tonight =(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If anyone happens to read this, I was in the gaf group for fractal 2. My connection is just going nuts and I can't even connect anymore so feel free to relay that in guild chat so they can at least get someone who doesn't dc nonstop like I seem to be doing tonight =(
It's all good I got your spot :X

Trey

So I should be salvaging the rares. I don't want right? Instead of tp'ing them?

With a Black Lion kit for max efficiency. The price of a run of the mill rare is roughly that of one ecto, and you have a pretty decent chance to salvage more than one ecto from rares.

Thanks to both of you or responding, that's what I figured but it's always nice to check.

So are we going to have a schedule or missions other than bounties or are we just going to kind of do it on the spot?
Finally, anyone up for Twilight Arbor story before the reset? I'd like to do all the dungeons at least once, and this will help contribute to the daily today.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Lesson I learned: Arah is a lot more tolerable when drunk. Unfortunately, this may affect one's ability to dodge properly.

Lunar15

I am still, to this day, confused by Anet's thinking behind spirit weapons. I kept thinking they'd get a buff, but then all of a sudden Anet nerf'd them with an HP bar. If someone does find either a fun or effective way to use them, let me know. As it stands, the only usable guardian skills are either consecrations or shouts. (or that wall for maximum trolling)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am still, to this day, confused by Anet's thinking behind spirit weapons. I kept thinking they'd get a buff, but then all of a sudden Anet nerf'd them with an HP bar. If someone does find either a fun or effective way to use them, let me know. As it stands, the only usable guardian skills are either consecrations or shouts. (or that wall for maximum trolling)
Working on it. Fun so far, no real clue about effective, but there seem to be lotsa traits I can play with.:

edit: Not sure I understand the change/nerf... they weren't targetable before?

Don't miss me too much, but I won't be on all that much this week cause I'm in VEGAS BABY!

Proven

Edit: Before, they were targettable but you couldn't kill them (no HP bar). They never did make them untargettable, so they just gave them an HP bar finally.

That wall is also a consecration!

The biggest issue with Spirit Weapons is that they're way too similar to Necromancer minions. And the fact that they were targettable, could last through a good chunk of the battle, and that Hammer being a huge asshole, made their invincibility completely unfair at times. Also, Guardian shouts/consecrations are so powerful that most of the Spirit Weapons suck in comparison.

So, ANet needs to change the mechanic, buff them back, and then maybe nerf that Hammer because nothing should be able to knock down so much.

Lunar15

Edit: Before, they were targettable but you couldn't kill them (no HP bar). They never did make them untargettable, so they just gave them an HP bar finally.

That wall is also a consecration!

The biggest issue with Spirit Weapons is that they're way too similar to Necromancer minions. And the fact that they were targettable, could last through a good chunk of the battle, and that Hammer being a huge asshole, made their invincibility completely unfair at times. Also, Guardian shouts/consecrations are so powerful that most of the Spirit Weapons suck in comparison.

So, ANet needs to change the mechanic, buff them back, and then maybe nerf that Hammer because nothing should be able to knock down so much.

I just feel like the spirit weapons don't really gel with the rest of the Guardian skills. I wouldn't mind nerfing their offensive abilities as long as they gave them more additional support related abilities.

I feel like with all the AoE that Guardians get with just their regular skills the Spirit Weapons can be overbearing. In a PvP atmosphere at least.

Can't attest to how guardians work in PvP. Just going off of PvE/WvW

Yeah, I realized. I can't judge too well in PvE since my Guardian is under lvl 20 still. He does wreck mobs a lot better than my Thief but it's a Thief and they're squishy as hell anyways so it's not a great comparison.

Ashodin

I feel like with all the AoE that Guardians get with just their regular skills the Spirit Weapons can be overbearing. In a PvP atmosphere at least.

The Spirit Weapons have been nerfed considerably by making them targetable for killing. AOE in any sort of context kills them pretty fast, and unlike Ranger spirits, they don't activate upon death.

Can't attest to how guardians work in PvP. Just going off of PvE/WvW

They're worthless at least in wvw because of AoE, pvp probably the same since they may not mesh with the bunker/glass cannon builds out there. I could see the bow being used sometimes but not really.

Proven

They're worthless at least in wvw because of AoE, pvp probably the same since they may not mesh with the bunker/glass cannon builds out there. I could see the bow being used sometimes but not really.

This guy would disagree with you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBa6xV52jZI

Like seriously, Guardian is still top tier. They aren't considered the best of the best anymore, but they're still one of the go to bunkers in the game, still have the easiest access to stability, and still came up with one of the first constant healing builds that still stands up in today's metagame. Guardians are the overall best class to lead in an army vs. army situation because of all this, and you'll see them in front of the Warriors in melee trains as they are the anvil to the Warrior's hammer.

The biggest issue for them is their terrible access to swiftness, and their relatively weakness at range, but that's what guildmates are for.

Edit: Oh, you're talking about the Spirit Weapons specifically. Even before the nerf, they were bad outside of PvE and 1v1 situations. Nothing has really changed for them, honestly, other than making the hammer less annoying.

etiolate

Banned
They just added cosmetic hoodies to the gem shop.

Now they can add a bag of cheetohs as a cosmetic weapon, and the players can look just like their toons.

Anyone found the locations of the new lost and found items?

I walked around wayfarer using dulfys guide but only found the first snow-covered object.

Lunar15

Anyone found the locations of the new lost and found items?

I walked around wayfarer using dulfys guide but only found the first snow-covered object.

I found a dirt covered object, but it wouldn't let me take it.

Like seriously, Guardian is still top tier. They aren't considered the best of the best anymore, but they're still one of the go to bunkers in the game, still have the easiest access to stability, and still came up with one of the first constant healing builds that still stands up in today's metagame. Guardians are the overall best class to lead in an army vs. army situation because of all this, and you'll see them in front of the Warriors in melee trains as they are the anvil to the Warrior's hammer.

Oh yeah, Guardians are awesome, and in my opinion, the best class I've played. As you said, we were really only discussing the uselessness of spirit weapons outside of PvP. But other than that, Guardians are beastly everywhere else.

This guy would disagree with you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBa6xV52jZI

The biggest issue for them is their terrible access to swiftness, and their relatively weakness at range, but that's what guildmates are for.

Edit: Oh, you're talking about the Spirit Weapons specifically. Even before the nerf, they were bad outside of PvE and 1v1 situations. Nothing has really changed for them, honestly, other than making the hammer less annoying.

Yea that was my bad on the quoting lol. Shouldve checked what I posted haha

I really need to do this.. but I'm just so uninspired by it.
Same. Really couldn't pull myself together so far. Will do it eventually, but if it's as exciting as part 1 I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

I'm a tad burned out with Guild Wars 2 at the moment. I log in from time to time to do my daily so I can eventually get the new earrings, but other than that it's not seeing much action these days.
Maybe part 3 can re-kindle some of the magic.

Same. Really couldn't pull myself together so far. Will do it eventually, but if it's as exciting as part 1 I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

I'm a tad burned out with Guild Wars 2 at the moment. I log in from time to time to do my daily so I can eventually get the new earrings, but other than that it's not seeing much action these days.
Maybe part 3 can re-kindle some of the magic.

If you're burned out, then you're burned out but I've found that DE hopping with the guild has made it a lot more fun. It helps to end the day with anywhere between 7-13 Rares to salvage (with the occasional exotic or two).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Between the timed-event train hopping, the remaining triggered events with the new rewards (everybody do Ogre Wars and the Font of Rhand if you haven't yet!), the new practicality of ectos making everything else easier (I'm actually gonna start farming Ori for crafting, as for the moment the profits are still awesome), trying to squeeze in some dungeons runs with my 80s, my ele approaching 80, our server's motions in wvw, and my primary goal for the moment being leveling my guardian to get into the priory to get a greatsword skin for my mesmer, I'm more overwhelmed with stuff to do that any period besides launch. I want to get all the refugee items too but it's not that high on my list.

i can't believe there's a new story release and new wvw progression coming this month alongside god knows what else.

Still I can definitely see being burnt out. I'm actually surprised it hasn't really happened to me this far out. i mean there have been times I've been playing less than others, but I haven't actually played any other games in March... damn.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Gotta say I love event hopping and the abundance of ectos now. Gotten almost 500 since the feb patch from events. Gonna upgrade my capacitor to max tonight!

If you're burned out, then you're burned out but I've found that DE hopping with the guild has made it a lot more fun. It helps to end the day with anywhere between 7-13 Rares to salvage (with the occasional exotic or two).

Sorry, DE?

Yeah, definitely burned out a little. Daily achievements keep me coming back and yesterday I ended up doing a couple of events again in Orr.
I'm also thinking about doing some fractals, been on a break with those as well. Anyone know how big of an effect the nerf of the spy kit has on higher level fractals (40/50) for instance? Is it much more tiresome now? Particularly thinking of the dredge fractal here, with the pressure plate things and whatnot.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
You can do this? I want me some priory weapons on my whispers character.

Ya, buy them with the character that is attached to that order, transmute the skin onto a white junk item and it will be account bound as opposed to soul bound.

Sorry, DE?

Yeah, definitely burned out a little. Daily achievements keep me coming back and yesterday I ended up doing a couple of events again in Orr.
I'm also thinking about doing some fractals, been on a break with those as well. Anyone know how big of an effect the nerf of the spy kit has on higher level fractals (40/50) for instance? Is it much more tiresome now? Particularly thinking of the dredge fractal here, with the pressure plate things and whatnot.

Dynamic Events. A lot of the big ones that give chests drop Rares, Exotics, and have a chance at dropping pre-cursors. With that change, a lot more people are doing them all over the world and typically Ash and Hawkian run a train of them for the Guild. We Waypoint hope from event to event clearing them pretty quickly and collecting the loot. It's pretty fun and we pretty much never fail (with the occasional exception to some of the bigger, tricker, Orr events but we don't do those that often).

Dynamic Events. A lot of the big ones that give chests drop Rares, Exotics, and have a chance at dropping pre-cursors. With that change, a lot more people are doing them all over the world and typically Ash and Hawkian run a train of them for the Guild. We Waypoint hope from event to event clearing them pretty quickly and collecting the loot. It's pretty fun and we pretty much never fail (with the occasional exception to some of the bigger, tricker, Orr events but we don't do those that often).

Ah embarrassing, could have figured that out myself I guess. That's good to hear then. I think I saw someone mentioning in-game that the drop rates of these chests have improved, but I didn't think much of it. Seems like that could be worth a try, and a bit of a change, especially if I don't have to resort to the events in Orr. Too much farming there already.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom