• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

At the very least I'd like it if they would create new skins every once in awhile and just tie them to boss events, or dungeons, like Final Rest is. Make them permanently available. Give us something. I'm getting up there in gems bought and I refuse to spend more money on gems than I would normally pay in a monthly fee.

They've said that they have 4 "Living Story" teams now, and that the Living Story pieces are going to start including dungeon revamps that make sense within the context of the story. If that means the Living Story teams are handling the revamp, it might free up the other teams to work on new dungeons (and thus, new skins). I believe it was Robert Hrouda who mentioned that there aren't any official "Dungeon Teams" and that the various groups within ArenaNet decide what they want to work on and go from there. If that includes a dungeon, we get a dungeon.

That art screams refugee camp, but I have a weird feeling Anet isn't going to return to that idea.

The artwork is in a cave of some sort, one connected to a body of water. Keep in mind though, the art has never been INCREDIBLY indicative of the actual update.

True, though the really aqua-blue water and sandy bits, with the ramshackle wooden construction, it kind of does have that "Southsun" feel. That said, there's lots of other places that architectural style would be right at home.

Still scratching my head what "BotFW" could be. It's not a named location since it's clearly "of the", so grammatically it wouldn't make sense to say "Battle of the Fort Wafflestomp".

Frozen Wastes? Forgotten Waters? Falling Waters? French Waiters?

Have they said anything about full fledged expansions?

It comes and goes. First they say they're not, then they're 'investigating' then 'planning'. They're very ambiguous about it. I think because once they say "Okay, an expansion is coming", the game's population switches to "Standby" mode, waiting for all the new big things. That obviously overshadows and undermines their goal of having a constant, living story.

Levyne

Banned
Here is a youtube video at where ANet's Josh Foreman talks about Cantha a bit with this podcast site I'm unaware of. Most primary source I can find.

Edit: Hmm, not as fleshed out as I thought at first...

Here was his post on the subsequent forum topic

Josh Foreman said:
Cantha was my favorite GW1 region to work on. And I worked on every GW release. I know a lot of the dev team loved it and would love to revisit it. I kinda agree with critickitten about the negative aspect of tight corridors. Most of that came from hitting technological limits while trying to keep the epic quality of the concept art. I think we could do some really amazing things with those themes in our new engine. Certainly nothing is ruled out. I certainly encourage anyone to express your desire for a Cantha region in GW2 in a positive and friendly way. It could be years away, but it’s worth asking for.

I see. So if they are working on one we probably won't get any details until it's close to release as they wouldn't want to undermine the short term content they are working on now.

Makes sense.

Bring back Paragons plox!

nataku

New wallpaper for next update:

Where does it take place?

Battle of the Four Winds.

Dominion of Winds.

Modern tengu that live within the Dominion of Winds have long since put aside their differences and now live under four houses - North, South, East, and West. These four houses are named after the winds, and were created to unify the tengu while allowing them to preserve their clans' unique cultures. Beneath these four houses are various clans, such as Clan Talonrend.

Maybe they're tired of being cooped up and started fighting.

On the subject of armor stats, I'm seeing in a lot of places that armor with Berserker stats are the only ones that are considered worthwhile.

I started doing HotW because I thought the Power/Toughness/Vitality spread was pretty nice on the armor you can get by trading in Koda tokens. Should I stop doing that and start grinding for armor that has Berserker stats?

xeris

On the subject of armor stats, I'm seeing in a lot of places that armor with Berserker stats are the only ones that are considered worthwhile.

I started doing HotW because I thought the Power/Toughness/Vitality spread was pretty nice on the armor you can get by trading in Koda tokens. Should I stop doing that and start grinding for armor that has Berserker stats?

Short answer is do what you find to be most fun and appeals to you the most. Longer answer is that Berserker is great if you want to be primarily dps for whatever reason. If you start getting heavy into speed runs, for example, you'll want to be mostly dps oriented. Some of my toons use it, others don't. Depends on the build I have in mind and what I want it to do.

Lunar15

I was actually just about to post that about Four Winds.

I thought of four winds today, then went to go look up the dominion of winds.

If you're good at dodging and know most boss patterns, all you need is raw power in this game.

I think P/V/T armor is only recommended on Ele because of really low health, and even there some people just suggest pure zerk.

xeris

Here is a youtube video at where ANet's Josh Foreman talks about Cantha a bit with this podcast site I'm unaware of. Most primary source I can find.

Edit: Hmm, not as fleshed out as I thought at first...

Here was his post on the subsequent forum topic

It was more directly said in the interview where they explained why DR has that huge gaping hole. I don't have the link to hand right now, although I think it's in this thread somewhere, but short version was they took it out because someone didn't like that it was a mash of different Asian cultures and that that'd be hard to work around.

nataku

It was more directly said in the interview where they explained why DR has that huge gaping hole. I don't have the link to hand right now, although I think it's in this thread somewhere, but short version was they took it out because someone didn't like that it was a mash of different Asian cultures and that that'd be hard to work around.

I made it post about it a while ago here.

The actual video you're talking about is this one I believe.

Youtube is being wonky for me, so that direct link to the spot where the explanation starts may not work, but it starts at around 1:44:25.

No...nonononono!!

I just leveled all my alts, don't make me do it again anet, pretty please...

They gotta have a race change option then *sigh* *grumble*

levelling alts shouldn't be a problem.

What is going on here is that some of the mid level zones need more.. dynamicness to them. I've noticed that as I traverse through the events by myself some zones are ... well, they don't feel as good. They don't feel like they are living up to the promise of a living breathing world because the events repeats so fast, and you don't see much world changing.

I would prefer to see, players make more of a mark on the zones. I would like to see stuff like guilds being able to take over towns, and Tax settlements, outposts and such for profits, or basically anything that makes people stay and hang out in other places than LA.

I could go for some more.. influence the world. leave a permanent mark. I think it would make it more fun to go back from Southsun and Orr, and hang out in those lvl 30-70 areas. they really could use a puff outside the big rare-dropping bosses.

Nobody ever goes for the Giant at the Disseu Plateau, which is a shame because its a hard long fight but it just doesn't drop much. I think it got nerfed recently though. It just attacks the entire town killing everything. It's cool.

I tried the Aetherblade dungeon last night with a pug, and it ended badly :(

2 for 2 tonight with GAF guild. I died more than I should, but I also am tinkering with my build. That cannon AoE gets me every time. Other than that, I'm liking my new D/D build. I just need to find the most useful utilities for myself.
And learn how to avoid the cannons.

Thanks to everyone who ran it with me. And especially Khold, great officer and player. You rock.

Sorry I missed the makeups, but I hear you all got it done. Nice.

Man, I had the stupidest moment today ...

It started yesterday when I was in LA and noticed that a Sylvari was almost as tall as my Norn Warrior. I was like "WTF is up with THAT!?!" Forgot that I made her on the shorter side but then I decided that I wanted atleast one of my norns to be a tall glass of kick-ass.

So I decided to delete my level 3 guardian and re-roll ... but I forgot that that guardian had the Shatter Wings in her bag :/

Looks like I'm keeping my 2 holo-wings after all
(Both the new toon and my Memser are based on Daenerys AKA Khaleesi. Guard is based on her and Storm ... so they need the wings)

Wallach

It started yesterday when I was in LA and noticed that a Sylvari was almost as tall as my Norn Warrior. I was like "WTF is up with THAT!?!" Forgot that I made her on the shorter side but then I decided that I wanted atleast one of my norns to be a tall glass of kick-ass.

So I decided to delete my level 3 guardian and re-roll ... but I forgot that that guardian had the Shatter Wings in her bag :/

(Both the new toon and my Memser are based on Daenerys AKA Khaleesi. Guard is based on her and Storm ... so they need the wings)

Support may fix that with a ticket if you explain what happened.

Levyne

Banned
Thanks to everyone who ran it with me. And especially Khold, great officer and player. You rock.

Aww shucks *blush*

Edit: Late night GAF crew managed to get me 2/3 of those tricky achievements. Thanks for burning the midnight oil with me!

Editer: It was actually quite legendary. Managed to get to the boss without much issue, but then we had a disconnect so we were down to four. We were able to keep our composure and not wipe while our 5th managed to log back in (though, as expected, dead and not near us). However, we were still able to kill the boss fast enough to have 40s left to fire the missile. So we were both fast enough to do that, but slow enough to allow our 5th to also get credit. Hell, I would've been fine if we simply stopped at "not wiping". Good job everyone!

docbon

I DID IT

I AM A WINNER

also broke

ibhTGiGcfUw391.gif

Katoki

I read on reddit that ANet clarified that the "Personal Space" achievement was done via the barrage sessions and not actually the cannon shots during the fight. It's still an intense eye sore though.

I'm starting to suspect that post patch Necros may be a fraction uh... overpowered.

(Don't hate me!)

Either that or they changed the way the leveling up works for WvWvW, which is possible - I've only been playing my 80s for a month or so.

I got mine to 65 last night and put her in a full set of yellow level 65 Carrion gear (which she crafted as part of leveling - except for trinkets which were bought + green) and went into WvWvW and *leveled up* to 80 I was able to bully people pretty effectively.

To be fair though, Necros deserve a bit of OP-ness given how broken that class has been since launch.

Levyne

Banned
docbon

th

Man, that last barrage of cannons for the Aether boss is so long...may cheese it and then deal with my conscience later. ;-;

Soph got his legitimately on his first time finishing the dungeon. That (more talented than me) bastard!

Ran through the new Aether story dungeon last night with a PUG and we did pretty well.
Wiped twice on the boss but were victorious on the third try. A little long but all and all it was a really fun time figuring out how to handle the various challenges they throw at you.

Ouch, man! Really hope support can help you with that one! In theory it should not be hard for them if they feel like it, but...

Aww shucks *blush*

Edit: Late night GAF crew managed to get me 2/3 of those tricky achievements. Thanks for burning the midnight oil with me!

Editer: It was actually quite legendary. Managed to get to the boss without much issue, but then we had a disconnect so we were down to four. We were able to keep our composure and not wipe while our 5th managed to log back in (though, as expected, dead and not near us). However, we were still able to kill the boss fast enough to have 40s left to fire the missile. So we were both fast enough to do that, but slow enough to allow our 5th to also get credit. Hell, I would've been fine if we simply stopped at "not wiping". Good job everyone!

Nice, I know the run I was on with you was not speedy, but we got it done :p

I'll keep trying for that darn cannon AoE achievement, but man, I don't see that happening.

Levyne

Banned
1 and 4 are just long paths, and on top of that experienced players more often probably just stick to path 3 for tokens since the longer paths won't be more rewarding.

1 and 4 are just long paths, and on top of that experienced players more often probably just stick to path 3 for tokens since the longer paths won't be more rewarding.

I remember someone mentioning the length of the Arah paths before.

I can see why it makes sense just to do the shorter path(s) though. Maximize the effort to token ratio.

Ploid 3.0

Holy crap, I started playing yesterday after a long break. The patches between my absence are huge. All of the classes pretty much got a big change. Playing Necro now, it seems darn good. The burning stuff is going to get nerfed probably. Still can't get healed when in Death Shroud, and pets don't scale with you like Mesmer, and Ranger.

docbon

Holy crap, I started playing yesterday after a long break. The patches between my absence are huge. All of the classes pretty much got a big change. Playing Necro now, it seems darn good. The burning stuff is going to get nerfed probably. Still can't get healed when in Death Shroud, and pets don't scale with you like Mesmer, and Ranger.

You can't restore health in death shroud, but you can use your spectral armor / spectral walk skills to restore your death shroud bar while in death shroud.

TrounceX

Yeah, Necro just went from the worst class in the game to the best in one single "balance" patch.

If you're a necro, have fun while you can, because you are going to get nerfed very shortly.

Anno

Thanks for the Aether run, all. Had fun even if it was a little frustrating. Next time through I'll at least know what to look for and I'll probably bring some additional weapons. Mad respect to anyone who legitimately gets all of those challenge cheevos...some hard stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom