• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcteryx

Took some pics in WvW tonight that were kinda cool. We took Blackgates garrison from them during primetime which is pretty nuts. It took like 3 hours and some very good coordination between two of our best guilds to pull it off.

Just eyeing up our objective which is the 3rd floor. It's works well to take this high ground, then lay arrow carts to rain down the central hole and onto the lords room.

This is after we took the 3rd floor. Notice how we used siege to conceal the jump up to our platform? A few groups tried to rush us up there and most just fell off lmao.

Look at all those enemies! And we wiped all of them. It sill took forever to take the circle though because it only takes a few enemies to contest. Warriors can use their elite skill to resurrect the Lord as well, which can be a pain in the ass. A good strategy though.

So yeah, not sure why I felt like posting this. I guess probably because the scale of the combat you encounter in WvW still blows my mind. All those people, all those skills going off and interacting with each other...it's a miracle that mode works as well as it does.

:p

I see myself in all 3 screens

That was a lot of fun

Levyne

Banned
Hopefully I will be able to patch up tomorrow and you battled hardened pirate slayers will be willing to have me along for some bandit bustin.

Proven

I can't sleep after reading a novel for too long and luckily am free tomorrow, so let me just type this up now.

Did some build testing both in WvW and in the Mists. I even brushed off my Mesmer which I had abandoned after not really finding a build I was happy with.

I decided to focus on a Chaotic Interruption build... and found it's not that effective. It's actually not that hard to interrupt people. You just have to focus on channeling spells and abilities with some amount of cast time. Many big attacks give you at least a second to respond to them, and if you got quick and confident with your timing, you could interrupt instant cast attacks with flashy animations, like hammer stomps and heartseeker spam. And of course, interrupts are always useful when it comes to resurrections and stomps.

The only issue is that the trait doesn't do anything by itself. It helps with kiting, and can set someone up for a spike, but if you're not doing good damage through some other method then it's kind of a waste.

In the mean time, I'm really liking Scepter. I'm only annoyed now by the fact it's cooldown trait is in the trait line with all Phantasm boosting minor traits. How does that make sense?

Also, I apparently really, really suck against conditions, or I keep running into condition spam. I never realized how bad I was against Necros before now. At least shortbow Rangers could be coaxed into a weapon swap, jeez. Next time I'm on, I'm going to try the "shatters remove a condition" trait.

swnny

Interrupting (and in some cases evading) is nowhere near fun as in GW1. Without an enemy cast bar, I'm seeing interrupting as kinda secondary, because of its "randomness". You can't really tell what exactly you are interrupting. And for the most part, the interrupting skills (like magic bullet or illusionary wave) have a bit long cast time for them to be timed properly... Here, you can't "power block" someone over and over again, because you are actually good at doing so, but have to depends on "luck" and "intuition".
I just don't see builds based around interrupts as viable ones... and I really loved the role in GW1. :/

As for the huge balance changes, I'll let the things to settle down a bit, and hopefully will have a bit more free time to sit and write down my thoughts on the changes.

Skills and traits didn't reset with the patch aye?

It seemed like my guardian was getting his ass kicked more than usual last night. Lol it's all in my head.

LkPr

OK, so I currently only have 1 lvl 80 char and have been using it since launch (Ranger). Recently I have been in the mood to try something new so does anyone have suggestions on what I should try now?

Biggest thing is that I am not a fan of targeting skills because I use a controller and I'm not yet fully proficient in targeting... so I would need a class that can be decently built without using weapons that have targeting skills. Note: I mainly PvE and have not yet really gotten into WvW. I doubt I will ever sPvP. Suggestions would be great!!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
OK, so I currently only have 1 lvl 80 char and have been using it since launch (Ranger). Recently I have been in the mood to try something new so does anyone have suggestions on what I should try now?

Biggest thing is that I am not a fan of targeting skills because I use a controller and I'm not yet fully proficient in targeting... so I would need a class that can be decently built without using weapons that have targeting skills. Note: I mainly PvE and have not yet really gotten into WvW. I doubt I will ever sPvP. Suggestions would be great!!
You mean ground-targeting skills, right? The ones you gotta aim

If you're not otherwise opposed to it, try thief. The only ground target moves are on shortbow and a couple utilities. Also it's the best class.

Hit 80 and went from all whites/blues/greens/missing pieces to ascended/exotics across the board for my ele last night. Felt so good to finally yank all that stuff out of the bank to give to him.

LkPr

You mean ground-targeting skills, right? The ones you gotta aim

If you're not otherwise opposed to it, try thief. The only ground target moves are on shortbow and a couple utilities. Also it's the best class.

Hit 80 and went from all whites/blues/greens/missing pieces to ascended/exotics across the board for my ele last night. Felt so good to finally yank all that stuff out of the bank to give to him.

Yah ground-targeting skills is what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure you use the controller too, I don't know how you got used to using ground-targeting skills :p

Thanks for the suggestion of the theif, I think I'll give it a try and stay away from the shortbow lol.

and gratz on getting your ele to 80, I was on last night when you announced that in guild chat

I just want to say thanks to the guildies who helped me do the story mode of Arah yesterday.

I almost lost myself to the Rage of Koda but you guys swooped in and brought me back from the brink.

I'll try to repay the favour within the coming weeks.

Yah ground-targeting skills is what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure you use the controller too, I don't know how you got used to using ground-targeting skills :p

Thanks for the suggestion of the theif, I think I'll give it a try and stay away from the shortbow lol.

and gratz on getting your ele to 80, I was on last night when you announced that in guild chat

Are you using our bundle/setup that keeps the mouse pointer at a fixed point of the screen and you aim by moving the camera with the right analog? After a while it becomes very intuitive; I can aim most stuff even faster with a controller than with kb-m. I even have the Deployable Turrets trait for my engi, and I love it!

I only ever have issues with the Asura's Elite Battle Suit, which has to be aimed stupidly close to oneself, and therefore usually has me zooming in and and looking at my feet. :p

LkPr

Are you using our bundle/setup that keeps the mouse pointer at a fixed point of the screen and you aim by moving the camera with the right analog? After a while it becomes very intuitive; I can aim most stuff even faster with a controller than with kb-m. I even have the Deployable Turrets trait for my engi, and I love it!

I only ever have issues with the Asura's Elite Battle Suit, which has to be aimed stupidly close to oneself, and therefore usually has me zooming in and and looking at my feet. :p

yes I am using that set-up. And I will agree that it definitely is easier then how is used to be I still haven't quite gotten the hang of it lol. Maybe I just need to spend some time practising

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Ground targeting with a controller + Norn = troubles. Because at default, the ideal spot for the cursor makes it float on the back of a Norn neck, even zoomed out all the way.

Proven

Interrupting (and in some cases evading) is nowhere near fun as in GW1. Without an enemy cast bar, I'm seeing interrupting as kinda secondary, because of its "randomness". You can't really tell what exactly you are interrupting. And for the most part, the interrupting skills (like magic bullet or illusionary wave) have a bit long cast time for them to be timed properly... Here, you can't "power block" someone over and over again, because you are actually good at doing so, but have to depends on "luck" and "intuition".
I just don't see builds based around interrupts as viable ones... and I really loved the role in GW1. :/

As for the huge balance changes, I'll let the things to settle down a bit, and hopefully will have a bit more free time to sit and write down my thoughts on the changes.

To be fair, I primarily focused on really short cooldown interrupts. Primarily the signet (1/4 cast time) and the mantra (instant, can use even while CC'd). If you're running the Grandmaster trait that allows you to have the shatter effect on yourself, then you've also got the option of F3.

There's also an argument to be made for AoE dazes to be good at interrupting, but the only real AoE CC skills the Mesmer has are Magic Bullet, Into the Void, Chaos Storm, and Diversion. Oh, and Vortex.

By the end of my play session, I ended up using interruptions as an alternate form of stun break. As long as I could consistently strip someone of stability, one person alone couldn't do any big damage on me. A number of my deaths came from being trained on by multiple people instead.

If I give it another try, I'm going to try some combination of the "shatters remove boons" and "shatters remove conditions" traits.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
To be fair, I primarily focused on really short cooldown interrupts. Primarily the signet (1/4 cast time) and the mantra (instant, can use even while CC'd). If you're running the Grandmaster trait that allows you to have the shatter effect on yourself, then you've also got the option of F3.

There's also an argument to be made for AoE dazes to be good at interrupting, but the only real AoE CC skills the Mesmer has are Magic Bullet, Into the Void, Chaos Storm, and Diversion. Oh, and Vortex.
So I'm figuring Imbued Diversion is pretty important for an interrupt-heavy build, right? Illusionary Wave on GS also fits that description btw (AoE CC).

Ashodin

Okay here's the breakdown:

• Greatsword heals on hit and does 5% more damage
  • Torch skills recharge 20% faster and 20% more burn duration overall
  • Symbols give vulnerability every tick
  • Blinds give 3 stacks of vulnerability
  • Scepter 3 gives 3 stacks of vulnerability
  • 10% of Power is converted to Condition Damage
  • 60% Condition Duration

So gooddd

yes I am using that set-up. And I will agree that it definitely is easier then how is used to be I still haven't quite gotten the hang of it lol. Maybe I just need to spend some time practising

I actually did some target practising when fine-tuning the configuration. I equipped the engi's grenade set and ran around Black Citadel, hitting targets with them. In a few minutes I was hitting bolts on the walls dead center while on the run (to be fair, targetting walls is easier than the ground).

It's definitely an acquired skill, but one that pays off immensely in the long run. This being an MMO, of course, the run is quite, quite long. :D

you guys use a gamepad?

this is me :0

We have absolutely never got that reaction, ever. :D
It was pretty funny when three GAFers got two randoms/newbiews once for a spin in a dungeon. We pretty much rocked as usual, and the other two guys were suitably amazed. I'd have paid to see their faces when I told them all three of us used a gamepad. :D

Mxrz

Did the new dungeon last night. Golem/laser room is hell, but fun. Final boss was tricky, but easier once we figured it out. Snagged the infinite tonic recipe, but bleeh. 50 lodestones is out of my range.

Dunno how pugs manage the laser room. Mumble seems like it'd be required to stay on top of things.

Meatfist

I've been dying for an MMO fix so I decided to throw down for the game. Downloading now!

I'm worried about how it'll play though, should I be alright?

Core 2 Duo E8400 OC'd to 3.40 GHz
6.0 GB RAM
GTX 465 OC'd
1920x1080

Proven

So I'm figuring Imbued Diversion is pretty important for an interrupt-heavy build, right? Illusionary Wave on GS also fits that description btw (AoE CC).

Yep. It's also one of the perfect examples of "this combination would be so awesome but so broken if you could combine it with the other grandmaster trait."

Eh, I keep forgetting about the Greatsword. I remember before launch how excited I was about Mesmers using a Greatsword, and it lasted all the way until they nerfed clone damage to zero.

Oh, and I stumbled across another NA Profession tournament starting right now: http://www.twitch.tv/soacgaming

I wouldn't expect too much in the wake of the balance patches though. People will come with new builds, probably, but no one will have responses for those builds lined up. There will probably be rolls.

Retro

I've been dying for an MMO fix so I decided to throw down for the game. Downloading now!

6.0 GB RAM
GTX 465 OC'd
1920x1080

I'm not the most tech savvy here, so I'd wait for a more authoritative answer, but I think you'll be fine.

Retro

Second run at Aetherblade Retreat was much rougher than the first. I think the strategies used this time were a little off, and I probably didn't explain the fights well to the three new folks who came along. Still, between the rares and the 1g reward at the end, I broke well ahead even with repairs in.

It's a tough sumbitch of a dungeon, but I love it. The mechanics are right where they need to be. You can't just stack on the bosses, you can't just hang back from them, you can't DPS them down and you can't heal through. This is one that takes all of your skills. ANet wasn't joking.

Had another culling recently?

Ignore Kos.
JUWnj.gif

Yes, a culling was held about two weeks ago, after being announced a month ago.

As always, it's nothing personal, we're just limited on how we can track member activity. From here on out, we'll be using the leaderboards which are supposed to be more accurate. If you were kicked from the guild, PM any of the officers (Ferny, Gojira, Ashodin, Professor Retro, Wallach, Lucrezia Stone, Katoki, Hawkian, Seda Khold or Kos Luftar) or post your name.#### and we'll get you in ASAP.

Wallach

6.0 GB RAM
GTX 465 OC'd
1920x1080

You'll probably need to draw down on the settings. CPU being the main thing holding you back. This - and most modern MMOs - are very CPU heavy.

Ashodin

Second run at Aetherblade Retreat was much rougher than the first. I think the strategies used this time were a little off, and I probably didn't explain the fights well to the three new folks who came along. Still, between the rares and the 1g reward at the end, I broke well ahead even with repairs in.

It's a tough sumbitch of a dungeon, but I love it. The mechanics are right where they need to be. You can't just stack on the bosses, you can't just hang back from them, you can't DPS them down and you can't heal through. This is one that takes all of your skills. ANet wasn't joking.

Ignore Kos.
JUWnj.gif

As always, it's nothing personal, we're just limited on how we can track member activity. From here on out, we'll be using the leaderboards which are supposed to be more accurate. If you were kicked from the guild, PM any of the officers (Ferny, Gojira, Ashodin, Professor Retro, Wallach, Lucrezia Stone, Katoki, Hawkian, Seda Khold or Kos Luftar) or post your name.#### and we'll get you in ASAP.

Thanks for reminding me that the "true culling" will begin soon. Should be fun *wrings hands*

Meatfist

You'll probably need to draw down on the settings. CPU being the main thing holding you back. This - and most modern MMOs - are very CPU heavy.

That's what I was fearing :/

I've been meaning to make the jump to an i5-3570K, but I'd need to replace my mobo and RAM as well. Bleh.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

Eh, don't think 'logging on once every two or three weeks to see if your main is magically not a Guardian anymore' is going to get me topping enough leaderboards to prevent another cull. I'll just work on this Dragon Bash thing and hibernate again.

Wallach

That's what I was fearing :/

I've been meaning to make the jump to an i5-3570K, but I'd need to replace my mobo and RAM as well. Bleh.

Well, I have an i5-750 sitting here if that's of any use to you. It's still socketed into some Gigabyte mATX 'board that isn't all that great but didn't actually do anything weird on me. I think it's a P55M-UD2.

Retro

Eh, don't think 'logging on once every two or three weeks to see if your main is magically not a Guardian anymore' is going to get me topping enough leaderboards to prevent another cull. I'll just work on this Dragon Bash thing and hibernate again.

Ah, took me a second to notice you've changed your name.

No, your main is not going to magically switch professions, nor do I think they'll ever allow such a service. But Guardians did get a lot of tweaks and changes in this last update, so maybe whatever complaint you had with them has been resolved, or at least outshined by something new?

nataku

When do the Dragon Bash achievements disappear?

I haven't done the DB that much because the horrible RNG on weapon skins I really want put me off to the whole event, but now that I go to do them I realize I'm probably not going to finish one. The So Lifelike achievement has been turned into an even bigger grind than it was since the Aetherblade can now spawn in place of the holograms mobs. I went to 6 holograms in Gendarran and 5 of them spawned Aetherblade.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ah, took me a second to notice you've changed your name.

No, your main is not going to magically switch professions, nor do I think they'll ever allow such a service. But Guardians did get a lot of tweaks and changes in this last update, so maybe whatever complaint you had with them has been resolved, or at least outshined by something new?
I think you know as well as I that a 20% burning duration trait and a couple other stat boosts isn't going to change anyone's mind about the class. They aren't interesting changes and the class is still straddled with the blandest mechanics.

I'll keep hope that they like money more than they like whatever design decision would prevent class changes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When do the Dragon Bash achievements disappear?

I haven't done the DB that much because the horrible RNG on weapon skins I really want put me off to the whole event, but now that I go to do them I realize I'm probably not going to finish one. The So Lifelike achievement has been turned into an even bigger grind than it was since the Aetherblade can now spawn in place of the holograms mobs. I went to 6 holograms in Gendarran and 5 of them spawned Aetherblade.
July 9th.

Levyne

Banned
Did the new dungeon today. I like 90% of it, the cannon dodging at the final part feels like it goes on just a tad too long.

Will gladly run that a few more times to at least try for those achievements. Miniboss dodging and <15 minutes seem very doable.

Wallach

Did the new dungeon today. I like 90% of it, the cannon dodging at the final part feels like it goes on just a tad too long.

Will gladly run that a few more times to at least try for those achievements. Miniboss dodging and <15 minutes seem very doable.

Are we sure you really need to do the entire fight that fast? I was just thinking about it earlier, why can't you just kill him immediately and do the explody bit before killing her?

Ashodin

Right but does he not drop the thing? I didn't check during that first fight.

Yep. He doesn't drop it until she's dead. So it's definitely a timer thing. It SOUNDS like you pretty much can't have people die at all during the fight, as time will be spent rezzing dudes.

Mxrz

If you kill him first, she respawns him. Gives you about 4-5 seconds to beat on her though.

I don't rep gaf much lately, but I often pop over when we need more for dungeon runs. Pretty good luck and I know gaffers will always be friendly if nothing else. But after 9pm or so during the week, its incredibly hard to find anyone outside of gw2lfg. Back during GW's prime years we were running stuff every night up until about 11. Having heroes to fill out groups was very handy.

Complistic

If you kill him first, she respawns him. Gives you about 4-5 seconds to beat on her though.

I don't rep gaf much lately, but I often pop over when we need more for dungeon runs. Pretty good luck and I know gaffers will always be friendly if nothing else. But after 9pm or so during the week, its incredibly hard to find anyone outside of gw2lfg. Back during GW's prime years we were running stuff every night up until about 11. Having heroes to fill out groups was very handy.

most people are on the free rare event train after 8. From about 8 until 10 or so.

I want to thank all who have helped me tonight! Got a puzzle with Siafra tonight that was fun. Also the Pirate dungeon! :)
Love our guild everyone has been so nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom