• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank all who have helped me tonight! Got a puzzle with Siafra tonight that was fun. Also the Pirate dungeon! :)
Love our guild everyone has been so nice!

Yeah, you caught quite a run of the Aetherblade dungeon! Great run to learn the ropes!

And per guild chat, I look forward to hitting up the low level FOTM in the near future!

Yeah, you caught quite a run of the Aetherblade dungeon! Great run to learn the ropes!

And per guild chat, I look forward to hitting up the low level FOTM in the near future!

You guys were great tonight. Did not want to attempt that with any PUGs. It wasnt too bad until the end. I got separated from you guys. Going to google another build tomorrow. Plus check my armor. Even though I died a lot I had fun.

Yep. He doesn't drop it until she's dead. So it's definitely a timer thing. It SOUNDS like you pretty much can't have people die at all during the fight, as time will be spent rezzing dudes.
There were at least 7 rezzes (including from defeated) during our fight and we still got the cheevo. All five of us stayed within 200 distance of her which helped with the mechanics.

Clearly you haven't spent enough time around me.
Otherwise she wouldn't have gotten the <15 min achievement today ;)

jersoc

i hate all of you who got tickets. thousands, THOUSANDS of god damn coffers and shit.

pretty much every gold i get in a day I just buy coffers with. Nothing.

I burned my luck too quickly before by getting skins in 1 or 2 boxes. now shit.

really hate this gambling bullcrap. at least let us MF 999 of something to get a ticket next time.

Katoki

i hate all of you who got tickets. thousands, THOUSANDS of god damn coffers and shit.

pretty much every gold i get in a day I just buy coffers with. Nothing.

I burned my luck too quickly before by getting skins in 1 or 2 boxes. now shit.

really hate this gambling bullcrap. at least let us MF 999 of something to get a ticket next time.

Eh. I once asked about letting us buy skins straight up but Colin basically responded agreeing when I mentioned that the cost of the skin straight up would probably be astronomical to support their guys.

Basically the people who've burned through hundreds of rich coffers are the ones allowing for the rest of us to moan about never getting anything out of regular chests.

jersoc

no, i fully understand why they do it. it doesnt mean it doesnt suck for a vast majority of people. and the chests you can buy are totally not worth it. they should be like 25-50 cents a chest depending on bulk prices. 1 per is ridiculous for a rumored 5% chance to drop.

10-20 month for a skin is eh, whatever. i was coming in looking at just like paying a sub. then they did this. at least they are releasing armor. just a shame the heavy armor looks like poop.

Katoki

I'm going to be willing to be that a single skin would cost upwards of $25 for it to be remotely profitable for them.

Still opening coffers =/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bout to hop on a plane, going away til Sunday night. Hope you all can manage without me! I know it won't be easy.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
Guys, I'm finally finished!! 6 level 80's, and I would love to never EVER see another level up notification ever again!

Having said that, I feel bad for being online and never joining in guild activities or chatting much. But now that I've done the hard part, I can now relax and play lol.

Anyway, see yall in game!

hythloday

At times, I felt like a complete moron in that Aetherblade dungeon. After a few wipes, the dance steps started to click for me.

Just have to remember a post from a dev about AC story mode: when the game launched, it was pretty hard. Then it wasn't. People wondered if it was made easier. Someone (forget who) posted that they hadn't changed a thing and it was players' skill and gear that had improved. (This was before the revamp I think)

Ceres

Banned
Guys, I'm finally finished!! 6 level 80's, and I would love to never EVER see another level up notification ever again!

Having said that, I feel bad for being online and never joining in guild activities or chatting much. But now that I've done the hard part, I can now relax and play lol.

Anyway, see yall in game!

lol. I still only have 1 level 80. I do need to finish up the others tho. I'm always doing events on my ranger because I want level 80 drops and not level 50something.

Levyne

Banned
Just make money on your Ranger

and then dump it into leveling alts in one sitting by crafting.

(And then rarely play your alts)

All the cool people do it.

LkPr

lol. I still only have 1 level 80. I do need to finish up the others tho. I'm always doing events on my ranger because I want level 80 drops and not level 50something.

Same as me! lol. I've been playing my Ranger since launch and my highest Alt is a lvl 34 Guardian. There is just always something I want to do with my higher char (dungeons, fractals etc) so I never take the time to lvl my Alts.... however now I have decided to let my Ranger rest for awhile and get that Guardian to lvl 80!

Lrn2reed

Neo Member

Its a curse, enjoy your freedom to do whatever lol.

I've missed so much guild activities its ridiculous!

I really really need to try the Aetherblade dungeon. Perhaps today.

I'm going to be willing to be that a single skin would cost upwards of $25 for it to be remotely profitable for them.

Still opening coffers =/

It depends on how much people would buy the skins. Say, if one in ten game owners were to buy one, that would be 3.000.000$ at 10$, which seems pretty profitable. Of course, a more realistic figure would probably be way lower.

There's, of course, the factor that if everyone can just buy the skin, we'd probably see a lot more of them, making them less desirable for many people. Making it a combination of luck, play time (for regular coffers) and money is more brag-right-worthy than simply money. :)

Ceres

Banned
Just make money on your Ranger

and then dump it into leveling alts in one sitting by crafting.

(And then rarely play your alts)

All the cool people do it.

I finally got the golden title so have some money in the bank. I've avoided repeating crafting I've maxed on characters already but maybe I'll start. Doing Chef on my guardian will get her to 80.

Retro

Finished Sea of Sorrows. Lots of spots around Lion's Arch have winks and nods towards characters in the book; Mecha's Landing, Moran Memorial, Fort Marriner, Yomm's Mercantile. More importantly, it's actually a really good story; much better than Destiny's Edge and quite a step above Ghosts of Ascalon (which I liked too). About what you'd expect from the Lore and Continuity Director of the entire game world.

Get it. It's only like 400 pages long.

I am not too familiar with other GAF guilds for other games but are we the longest going one so far?

I'm not sure if we're the longest running since we've only been at it a year, though it's possible; a lot of guilds flare up at launch and then inevitably die out, matching pretty closely with the population of new MMOs in general. I know SWTOR's guild died out, RIFT's guild imploded over officer drama (I heard the guild leader kicked everyone and pillaged the guild coffers?). All the attempts at a WoW guild I saw failed to gain traction; somebody tried to start one on Area 52 when I still played, but nobody wanted to pay $25-per-character and abandon their existing guilds / friends. I think there might be a TERA guild?

In terms of size and population stability, I think GAFGuild seals it up though, because GW2 itself is built to foster that kind of community. Guesting and Multi-Guilding keep communities together rather than segregating them, a shocking development given the genre is built around social constructs. Even after a culling, we had more than 350 players, which means there are more than 350 people who regularly play the game attached to GAF, whether by an account or a friend of someone who does. Not all of them are active all of the time, but we usually average about 30-40 people during peak hours and closer to 50 on the weekends. I've logged in early in the morning and there's like 10 people on (granted, for them, it's actually late at night).

We've got guys from all over the United States, Australia, Southeast Asia and all throughout Europe. We even have a Canadian Officer. How exotic!

We've bought transfers for two people (HUGE shoutout to Arken for that) and have money to transfer at least two more. A bunch of officers have kept Mumble going without fail, free to all members, and despite taking a break from gaming, Ferny still maintains and updates an awesome site for us. A lot of folks (officers and regular members) chip in to buy influence, and show up even after they've gotten their commendations to help others get theirs during makeup events. People are helpful, generous, patient and respectful, in a genre where community behavior is notoriously exclusionary (especially to new players), selfish, and rude. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to warn people to curtail inappropriate behavior, and I can count on one finger the number of times we've had to boot someone out.

In other words, being the 'longest running' guild, or even the biggest or most active really doesn't matter. It's the people that makes the GW2 GAFGuild the best guild on GAF, and anybody who disagrees can take it up with Evilore (he's in the guild... or at least, one of them is...)

Retro

Blatant, shameless GAFGuild PRetro

People can complain about the game as much as they want, and I'll usually at least concede that as a matter of personal preference and taste, the game is not for everyone.

But I'll be damned if anyone can say anything bad about the guild. It's active, coordinated, friendly, helpful, caters to all but the hardest of the hardcore players (and there's multi-guilding for that) and absurdly active. We've never excluded anyone and everyone keeps things pretty civil (and when they haven't, we've dealt with it pretty quickly). There are no draconian rules (unless you consider GAF's own TOS draconian) and no caustic infighting or cliques. When the worst of the complaints is "Retro won't stop making terrible puns", we're not in bad shape at all (and to be fair, everyone yuks it up, I just layer it on past the point of decency).

It helps that the game is built to foster communities, but I really feel like we wouldn't have lasted this long without the awesome people participating.

Finished Sea of Sorrows. Lots of spots around Lion's Arch have winks and nods towards characters in the book; Mecha's Landing, Moran Memorial, Fort Marriner, Yomm's Mercantile. More importantly, it's actually a really good story; much better than Destiny's Edge and quite a step above Ghosts of Ascalon (which I liked too). About what you'd expect from the Lore and Continuity Director of the entire game world.

I'm not sure if we're the longest running since we've only been at it a year, though it's possible; a lot of guilds flare up at launch and then inevitably die out, matching pretty closely with the population of new MMOs in general. I know SWTOR's guild died out, RIFT's guild imploded over officer drama (I heard the guild leader kicked everyone and pillaged the guild coffers?). All the attempts at a WoW guild I saw failed to gain traction; somebody tried to start one on Area 52 when I still played, but nobody wanted to pay $25-per-character and abandon their existing guilds / friends. I think there might be a TERA guild?

In terms of size and population stability, I think GAFGuild seals it up though, because GW2 itself is built to foster that kind of community. Guesting and Multi-Guilding keep communities together rather than segregating them, a shocking development given the genre is built around social constructs. Even after a culling, we had more than 350 players, which means there are more than 350 people who regularly play the game attached to GAF, whether by an account or a friend of someone who does. Not all of them are active all of the time, but we usually average about 30-40 people during peak hours and closer to 50 on the weekends. I've logged in early in the morning and there's like 10 people on (granted, for them, it's actually late at night).

We've got guys from all over the United States, Australia, Southeast Asia and all throughout Europe. We even have a Canadian Officer. How exotic!

We've bought transfers for two people (HUGE shoutout to Arken for that) and have money to transfer at least two more. A bunch of officers have kept Mumble going without fail, free to all members, and despite taking a break from gaming, Ferny still maintains and updates an awesome site for us. A lot of folks (officers and regular members) chip in to buy influence, and show up even after they've gotten their commendations to help others get theirs during makeup events. People are helpful, generous, patient and respectful, in a genre where community behavior is notoriously exclusionary (especially to new players), selfish, and rude. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to warn people to curtail inappropriate behavior, and I can count on one finger the number of times we've had to boot someone out.

In other words, being the 'longest running' guild, or even the biggest or most active really doesn't matter. It's the people that makes the GW2 GAFGuild the best guild on GAF, and anybody who disagrees can take it up with Evilore (he's in the guild... or at least, one of them is...)

I am none of those things and docbon probably isn't either. Probably should kick docbon out since I'm too cool to leave

nataku

Eh. I once asked about letting us buy skins straight up but Colin basically responded agreeing when I mentioned that the cost of the skin straight up would probably be astronomical to support their guys.

Basically the people who've burned through hundreds of rich coffers are the ones allowing for the rest of us to moan about never getting anything out of regular chests.

That's worrying. I was really holding out hope they would throw us who despise the RNG coffer game a bone. It's getting harder and harder to get excited about these patches knowing that whatever awesome skin they add is only available through coffers. Hell, I'll be shocked if they keep SAB the way it was before and don't put those skins in coffers when it comes back.

At the very least I'd like it if they would create new skins every once in awhile and just tie them to boss events, or dungeons, like Final Rest is. Make them permanently available. Give us something. I'm getting up there in gems bought and I refuse to spend more money on gems than I would normally pay in a monthly fee.

Proven

Bout to hop on a plane, going away til Sunday night. Hope you all can manage without me! I know it won't be easy.
God speed.

Oh crap, I forgot it came out. Pre-ordered it on Kindle, but then started reading a different book today. It's part of a series too... so I'm probably going to stick with it for the week. Sea of Sorrows coming up after that.

Pre-order few months ago but it looks like I won't get the book till July 2nd:
In Transit : On Schedule
Expected delivery: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, by 8:00pm
Your package has left Amazon facility and is in transit
Updated 3 day(s) ago
Tracking Details:
Date Time Location Event Details
June 24, 2013 03:32:23 AM Des Plaines IL US Package received by carrier
Was hoping I would have it by tomorrow so I can take it with me to the cottage and read it over the weekend.

Retro

Oh crap, I forgot it came out. Pre-ordered it on Kindle, but then started reading a different book today. It's part of a series too... so I'm probably going to stick with it for the week. Sea of Sorrows coming up after that.

Pre-order few months ago but it looks like I won't get the book till July 2nd.

Don't do the "History Buff" Achievement in-game; the Memorial plaques spoil pretty much everything from beginning to end.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like our guild too, yay!

Airports are boring.
At times, I felt like a complete moron in that Aetherblade dungeon. After a few wipes, the dance steps started to click for me.

Just have to remember a post from a dev about AC story mode: when the game launched, it was pretty hard. Then it wasn't. People wondered if it was made easier. Someone (forget who) posted that they hadn't changed a thing and it was players' skill and gear that had improved. (This was before the revamp I think)
That absolutely was before the revamp, I remember it. It was accurate, too. A group of 5 level 30s doing AC story for the first time would get absolutely pasted. It was a real "step it up!" and one I'm really thankful for looking back. Going back with 5 80s all confident in skill could just own it.

Of course, now it's just EASY full stop.

Poor, poor Kasha Blackblood.
That's worrying. I was really holding out hope they would throw us who despise the RNG coffer game a bone. It's getting harder and harder to get excited about these patches knowing that whatever awesome skin they add is only available through coffers. Hell, I'll be shocked if they keep SAB the way it was before and don't put those skins in coffers when it comes back.
You'd be shocked? Anything you feel like betting? :p

At the very least I'd like it if they would create new skins every once in awhile and just tie them to boss events, or dungeons, like Final Rest is. Make them permanently available. Give us something. I'm getting up there in gems bought and I refuse to spend more money on gems than I would normally pay in a monthly fee.
Definitely agree about adding new unique drops, they're such a good addition.

Lunar15

Guild has been excellent, definitely. Officers have definitely gone out of their way to foster the community though, so kudos to that.

The real question is: Which new officer will bring everything crashing down in a chaotic spiral of death? Kos or Khold?

I'll be here taking bets, who wants in?

Guild has been excellent, definitely. Officers have definitely gone out of their way to foster the community though, so kudos to that.

The real question is: Which new officer will bring everything crashing down in a chaotic spiral of death? Kos or Khold?

I'll be here taking bets, who wants in?

I'll definitely put my money on kos

Jira

New wallpaper for next update:

BotFW-1920x1080.jpg

Where does it take place?

Kos, you hear that? You're exotic.

Is that why you guys all stare at me when I walk by?

Khold all these "regs" (as we call you guys in officer forums) are so jealous at our promotions...they can't wait to see us fail!

@Jira: Wonder what BotFW stands for? That area looks totally new. It kinda looks like a giant tree but the people don't look Sylvari. Another new zone incoming maybe...you gotten any hints about what it could be?

Proven

I'm extremely irritated that I can't find an online build calculator that's updated with the latest patch. Maybe the need to make an API for the in game skills and traits...

In other news, my previous Radiant Scepter Guardian build has been retired for a new power focused build using the new Kindled Zeal trait, with burning that still ticks for about 500. I'm happy with it, but it's really only good for small group combat. I have to be mid range, but I don't have a lot of AoE or dodges. And I'm going to be running incredibly slow from place to place without someone else to give me swiftness. Oh well, PvP is fun enough for now.

New wallpaper for next update:

Where does it take place?

I can't quite place it, and it doesn't help that the artstyle is intrinsically linked to Southsun in my head. Feels like the area around the Southsun JP.

Don't do the "History Buff" Achievement in-game; the Memorial plaques spoil pretty much everything from beginning to end.

Thanks for the tip.

Lunar15

That art screams refugee camp, but I have a weird feeling Anet isn't going to return to that idea.

The artwork is in a cave of some sort, one connected to a body of water. Keep in mind though, the art has never been INCREDIBLY indicative of the actual update.

Levyne

Banned
I don't remember the nuances, but I think the gist of it is:

ArenaNet (Via Dev Post on Forum): "No expansions in progress"
NCSoft (Via Press Release): "An expansion is being prepared"

And we won't see Cantha for awhile, if ever.

I don't remember the nuances, but I think the gist of it is:

ArenaNet (Via Dev Post on Forum): "No expansions in progress"
NCSoft (Via Press Release): "An expansion is being prepared"

And we won't see Cantha for awhile, if ever.

I can't see them not eventually exploring the other regions assuming the game is doing well for them. The end of the story even hints at this considering
they mention that there are still multiple dragons left to take down.

On that point the final mission was pretty cool. The whole fight with
Zhaitan
on the airship reminded me of Dragon's Dogma.

The only part I didn't like is how you need a whole group to do it which I didn't have access to until GAFGuild swooped in and saved the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom