• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

The Harathi Hinterlands loading screen is one of my favorites next to the Brisban Wildlands one. I can't think of any other ones off the top of my head.

Retro

Probably my favorite thing about the Charr zones is the music:

The Great Wall Has Fallen

Great description of Ascalon, it makes me want to fire up Guild Wars again and play a bit just to soak it all in (I regrettably did not give the original the time or attention it deserved).

It's funny that you mention the music, because the minute I knew Guild Wars 2 was the real deal and that this was going to be a special game, was this;
gw02308sbj.jpg
It was the first Beta Weekend Event and I was trying out my Guardian. I'd just come through the centaur area south of the Garrison, followed the road west out of a quiet little fort, and come up over a hill to look over Altar Brook Vale. The sky was bright and full of wispy clouds, farm land stretched out to a distant mountainside, with a quaint little windmill standing over it. That's when this track kicked in;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UniOGEmUZQ

It just felt so adventurous, I had to stop and take a screenshot and sort of marvel at how nice it felt to have any lingering doubts about the game pushed away and that this was just the beginning.

The Harathi Hinterlands loading screen is one of my favorites next to the Brisban Wildlands one. I can't think of any other ones off the top of my head.

121 Guild Wars 2 Loading Screen Wallpapers

I love 50, 106, and 118... no clue where 106 is, but I want to go there.

Also, 65... that looks like Orr before the Cataclysm, It's gorgeous.

Centaurs need a dungeon IMO

I think ANet realized that after almost FOUR whole zones of Centaurs (All of the human zones, really) people might be a bit sick of them. I think a year later, we might be ready... so long as it has a good theme, I'd be more than happy to go.

Proven

The ESL test tournament was actually pretty good to watch: http://www.twitch.tv/blu42/b/423978198

For one main reason. They actually have a good caster combo. One that's good at the overhead stuff, and the other is good at the more technical and in-depth stuff. They made even the matches that were rolls more entertaining to watch.

xeris

As for Norn... I've never been able to get a Guardian past 30 because I always second guess my choice; human or norn female. However, I was looking at their cloth options last night and I'm wondering if maybe a Norn Necromancer might be fun.

Copycat.

SRTtoZ

Am I the only person who cannot make up their mind on picking a profession???!

Any input on Elementalists? I have always gone ranged dps in MMO's (first at least) and the Ranger looks BORING as hell.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, ranged Ranger is rather boring. I don't use my bows outside of specific situations much anymore. (And wvw to tag).

Retro

Is yours female too? I'm looking at the Cultural Tier 2 chestpiece (paired with the shoulders and legs from Tier 1) and thinking that's an absurd amount of cleavage, even for a Norn. Seems fitting for a Necromancer, somehow, to have skulls and bones and boobs.

Norns should only be warriors, rangers or guardians.

My Warrior is human, I don't like Rangers, and my biggest dilemma in this game has been whether I want a Human or Norn Guardian. I've literally blown up half a dozen characters at this point. Technically, that includes my original Level 66 Norn Warrior I started at launch, because I wanted her to be my Guardian instead...

I kind of wanted one of each race, but now I have three humans; Warrior, Guardian and Elementalist... and no Norn or Charr (though I am reserving a Charr for the future). A Norn Necromancer would work, but maybe a Guardian instead.

UGH. #firstworldproblems

Any input on Elementalists? I have always gone ranged dps in MMO's (first at least) and the Ranger looks BORING as hell.

For what it's worth, Warriors have Rifle and Longbow, and both are in pretty good shape...

And no, you're not alone. I've had trouble since before the game even came out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I LOVE Elementalist, but it's very complex, especially playing at a high level.

"Ranged DPS" in this game means any class. Engineers don't even have an equippable melee weapon class. Guardians are the worst at it, but you can have two weapon sets (except for Ele and Engi) and you can frequently swap. What class appeals to you most? Elementalists are a lot about switching between the elements and utility skills that change your capabilities a lot. You can do ranged damage in much simpler and more fun ways as a Thief. Engineers have ridiculous damage and range with grenades, but can do a huge number of things if you're into classes with tons of options. Warriors have awesome ranged options. Mesmers can do all kind of crazy shit. So just and find the one that feels the coolest to you and stick with it until you decide whether or not you want to main it.

Levyne

Banned
The ranger longbow CAN do a lot of ranged damaged if traited right. But it's still a bit pewpewpewpewpewpew. A typical rotation is utilitybuffs-3-2-4-5-1. But when 4 of the skills are just..shooting arrows. I can see that being boring. It's usually better to open with longbow and then switch to something else. Fucking with people with Point Blank and Scars is fun though.

Proven

Dude, at launch I immediately bought three extra character slots and one of each class.

Norns should only be warriors, rangers or guardians.

My Norn is an Elementalist, lol.

SRTtoZ

Dude, at launch I immediately bought three extra character slots and one of each class.

My Norn is an Elementalist, lol.

Its ridiculous. I sit at the character creation screen and I alt tab, read the GW2 forums, then read Gamefaqs, search best classes and best PVP classes etc. Its like a crazy OCD! I finally settled down on elementalist and I'm level 5 :D I chose dagger/dagger for now since that seems to be the way to go for leveling and so far its a BLAST (no pun intended). Its awesome switching between elements, I just need to find out what hotkeys I want to bind them too since F1-F4 is kind of annoying.

xeris

Is yours female too? I'm looking at the Cultural Tier 2 chestpiece (paired with the shoulders and legs from Tier 1) and thinking that's an absurd amount of cleavage, even for a Norn. Seems fitting for a Necromancer, somehow, to have skulls and bones and boobs.

Oddly enough, female is one of the few things Ivogar HASN"T been called. Although with Norn it can be hard to tell sometimes. If/when I make a 2nd mesmer I'm thinking Norn female. My warrior is Norn female, but she's in mostly SE gear so looks more like a moving foundry.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Its ridiculous. I sit at the character creation screen and I alt tab, read the GW2 forums, then read Gamefaqs, search best classes and best PVP classes etc. Its like a crazy OCD! I finally settled down on elementalist and I'm level 5 :D I chose dagger/dagger for now since that seems to be the way to go for leveling and so far its a BLAST (no pun intended). Its awesome switching between elements, I just need to find out what hotkeys I want to bind them too since F1-F4 is kind of annoying.
Dat D-Pad

Retro

Wait, an expansion has been confirmed? What is it about?

It hasn't, unless you're talking about some article we haven't seen yet. There was a big fuss made about a comment in an NCSoft investor report, but ArenaNet has said that they are 'investigating' one. I believe that was the exact term used. Since NCSoft isn't very involved with ArenaNet and investors generally don't get the finer details, the 'continual updates' of GW2 may just fall under 'expansion' as far as they're concerned.

I'm sure there will be one eventually, and they're probably working on one now, but officially? Nothing yet.

Edit: Found it: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/14/ncsoft-clarifies-stance-on-guild-wars-2-expansion/
"In regards to your recent post on a Guild Wars 2 expansion, there is a slight misunderstanding when interpreting the answer from the NCsoft earnings call. We are considering an expansion, but we are taking a wait-and-see stance. We are evaluating the performance of the game and deciding on when would be the best time to launch an expansion. But right now, our living story approach is very successful in keeping players engaged with new and exciting content. Launching boxed expansions are a great way to package content, but if we can do this on a more regular basis, something we've been doing since launch, it provides players with new content to explore and experience every time they log into the game."

Retro

Sorry for another double post, but this was DEFINITELY bump worthy;

Today ArenaNet announces it has formalised plans to maintain a two-week major release schedule for Guild Wars 2, and reveals the latest content update to the game’s Living Story, Bazaar of the Four Winds, going live on 9th July.

ArenaNet has been delivering new content to Guild Wars 2 at an increasing pace since January and from now on will maintain a 14-day update rate, bringing players exciting new features, events, rewards and storylines at a frequency unmatched by any other Western studio. Today’s decision affirms the studio’s continued commitment to that effort and means that players can expect Tyria to remain one of the most frequently updated and best supported online worlds in the industry.

In the newest update, Bazaar of the Four Winds, merchants are converging from all corners of Tyria to sell their wares. The gathering will feature more than just shady characters and risky trade because, this year, the mystical flying Zephyr Sanctum has landed, bringing magical crystals and amazing movement skills to traders and adventurers alike.

In addition to experiencing movement in a new way, players will partake in new themed-events and join in the thrill of the trade. Also included in this update:

New Events
  • Belcher’s Bluff Mini-game: Players can challenge their friends in this new, permanent mini-game.
  • Sanctum Sprint Race: Navigate a dizzying obstacle course in this competitive race.
  • Lessons from the Sky Scavenger Hunt: Players will need to show their mastery of wind, sun and lightning as they search for Sky Crystals and explore hard-to-reach places in the Labyrinthine Cliffs.

New Rewards
  • Aspect Back Items: Players can compete in the Sanctum Sprint for a chance to earn one of three special back items representing the aspects of wind, sun and lightning.
  • Personal Quartz Node: Players completing the update will be able to harvest quartz in their home instances, allowing them to craft new recipes.
  • Zephyr Sanctum Model: Players who complete the Lessons from the Sky achievement will be awarded a miniature model of the Zephyr Sanctum, allowing them to view the ship at any time, even after it has flown away.
New Features
  • Account Achievement Reward System: Starting with this release, players can unlock rewards like exclusive new armour skins, weapon skins and permanent account bonuses as they earn achievement points. They can also earn laurels, gems, gold, powerful items, and PvP and WvW rewards as achievement scores grow.
  • New PvP Map – Skyhammer: Players can battle for control of three capture points in the new Skyhammer map.
(source)

Video of the new PVP Map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMyahJZuRCQ

Oh yeah, and the Infinite Axe is back in the Gem shop, though be warned it's kind of screwy today so the purchase may not go through.

I'm casually levelling up my alt warrior. Will be dinging lvl 40 soon. Anyone have suggestions as to weapons / traits / utilities?

I'm looking to build her out as a PvE DPS glass cannon type. Just browsing the official forums looks like axe / mace + rifle is a pretty solid combo.

Lunar15

Personal Quartz Node: Players completing the update will be able to harvest quartz in their home instances, allowing them to craft new recipes.

Something for home instances? That's kinda weird/interesting. Kinda hope that home instances are not their answer for player housing.

The gathering will feature more than just shady characters and risky trade because, this year, the mystical flying Zephyr Sanctum has landed, bringing magical crystals and amazing movement skills to traders and adventurers alike.

What could that mean?

Retro

Something for home instances? That's kinda weird/interesting. Kinda hope that home instances are not their answer for player housing.

Or if they are, they're revamping the whole thing. I'd hate for them to just add one little thing you have to go in there for to get every day. We haven't heard anything about housing since before launch, but we know it's a feature they want to add. Maybe they're getting ready for it.

Lunar15

Or if they are, they're revamping the whole thing. I'd hate for them to just add one little thing you have to go in there for to get every day. We haven't heard anything about housing since before launch, but we know it's a feature they want to add. Maybe they're getting ready for it.

Yeah, it'd be kind of inconvenient to have to go back to your home instance just to harvest this quartz node. They're probably using it as an incentive to go back to the home instances so they can put more content there.

Lunar15

Question is, will the Zephyr Sanctum be a Tengu ship? I don't know much about the Tengu as I never played Factions, but I know they're a mercantile race that is wind themed.

Interesting update.

I guess we won't be getting a new area to explore...also it doesn't seem like it features Tengu that much.

PS: unsubbing!

Levyne

Banned
Achievement rewards....mrcravens gonna get all that shit. Exclusive items too.

I'm am oddly exxcited about a new pvp map, considering..

Noteworthy:

Developer Livestream: Get an early look inside the release during a preview livestream (www.twitch.tv/guildwars2) with ArenaNet developers on Monday, 8th July 20:00 BST

That's....3pm east coast?

So I guess the safe bet is that "Quartz" leads to a new stat spread? I'm assuming quartz trinkets which couldn't be cosmetic. All guesses at this time, though.

You unwashed controller heathens..

(...who is the leader of the guild...)

You sexy adept-thumbed demi-god of a man.

Levyne

Banned
A lot of re-treaded ground in that one but..

As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.

And with this...ANet has me by the throat..

Also... hello~~~ new wallpaper.

BotFW-2-800x600.jpg

Retro

The official release page has a little more. I like the new WvW trait lines.

Yeah, but that wasn't up when I posted, that was just from a press release.

Which is something a lot of us (well, us hardcore nerds) have wanted them to do; really make a big deal about their two-week update schedule. No other MMO has delivered so much content so quickly and that's worth making a fuss about.

Question is, will the Zephyr Sanctum be a Tengu ship? I don't know much about the Tengu as I never played Factions, but I know they're a mercantile race that is wind themed.

Looking at some of the art, the airships aren't the usual fare we've seen; they don't look Asuran/Charr in origin like the Pact ones do;

I'm seeing lots of bamboo, reed mats and Japanese-style lanterns. We know the Tengu are eager to establish trading contacts with the outside world (just talk to the Tengu in Southern Kessex).

Also; kites!

Interesting update.

I guess we won't be getting a new area to explore...also it doesn't seem like it features Tengu that much.

PS: unsubbing!

Well, you can unlock a "Zephyr Sanctum" model... and it looks like a mountain with a bunch of airships around it. Maybe the mountain is on the map, but the airships are temporary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom