• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So the continuation of the two week release schedule is cool, I just hope not all of the additions are going to phase out after a while... kinda sucks that they won't just leave some of the stuff in permanently!

Colin said:
We’ve been playing around so far this year with a lot of different concepts to see what works for a living world game, and see what players liked and didn’t like. Based on all of your feedback, you’ll be seeing a greater degree of permanent content built into future living world releases in 2013. And of course, some things you’ve seen before may return again, in its current form but updated like SAB or holiday festivals, or in a new form entirely….

Weird, I wonder how long I can keep this kind of reply up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian is just a bot.

Hawkian said:
Hawkian is a charismatic and insightful human being, and not at all a bot. Bots don't have feelings or dreams. Unless we've reached the singularity, but I think I would have noticed. Who knows who the hell this Levyne guy is anyway, I hadn't heard of him once before like 3 days ago.

You know.. that's probably what overloaded his original rig. Having hundreds of tabs open simultaneously with various builds, class breakdowns, dev quotes, loot tables, guild schedules, etc.. A veritable digital reference catalog the likes of which mere mortals couldn't comprehend.

I just wanted to pop in here and say how much I love this game. I am not a power player by any means I play a few hours a week and my highest character is level 43. I love the guild and I love the changes they keep making to the world. Someday I will give PVP and all that a try.

Good stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Speaking of digital references:

I'll keep this post updated with links for Retro's OT purposes. Note: information in these posts may be outdated by design changes or new content.

Please remind me of other crazy megaposts of mine that are missing from this list. I know there are at least two I didn't include. I'll probably divide it into categories for ease of reading before the OT3 rolls around as well.

Levyne

Banned
Off Topic. But I just had some HUGE breakthroughs at work (well...grad school)! YAY. I shall remain employed! I figure it's okay to mention that in a community thread.
3AQmK.gif

Uh.

Guild Wars 2 is pretty good, huh

I'm ready for a totally new 3 path dungeon, story mode NPCs are Kasmeere and Marjory.

New fractal dungeon set on ships where your ship attacks the other than you board it and take thier loot.

Lunar15

Has the game updated to include an epilogue to the Aetherblade retreat? I kind of want to know why the pirates attacked in the first place.

Y'know, one problem I do have with living story is that the methods of storytelling they've employed are somewhat lacking. The concepts themselves are interesting, but the stories themselves are not very compelling.

I greatly enjoyed the noire aspect of the latest one, but they didn't really go anywhere with it other than a really simple whodunnit where everyone already knew whodidit. I feel like the stories behind each living story update have been fairly disappointing in execution, despite being good ideas overall.

Retro

So I poked at my OT I've been working on and it's actually going to be really short and sweet. I had originally planned to sort of 'rebroadcast' whatever GW2 was doing in terms of current events, but how many people actually check the first post of the OT on a regular basis?

Instead, I think we'll just keep it up to date with guild business, guides and such.

If there's current events, they're going to be discussed in the thread, so there's no need to keep the OT regularly updated beyond our own needs (officer list, guild schedule, etc.)

y u do this

Because I'm me. But who are you?

Ploid 3.0

Ploid.1056
Guesting on Stormbluff is the only way for me to join you guys without buying currency to change servers? I really should have afk'd on stormbluff before they changed to charging.

Ploid 3.0

So there's no limited use and I'm only locked out of WvW? I heard of people exploiting server transfer for WvW shenanigans, I guess this was the fix. Put wvw hopping behind pay wall. Sounds good enough, I don't WvW anyway, and when I did it was a sea of people, so I doubt it would matter which side I'm on.

Retro

Ploid.1056
Guesting on Stormbluff is the only way for me to join you guys without buying currency to change servers? I really should have afk'd on stormbluff before they changed to charging.

Looks like somebody already sent you an invite, remember to represent!

So there's no limited use and I'm only locked out of WvW?

Correct. You can guest on up to two servers at a time (so you can guest on SBI and one other); you have to wait 24 hours before you can guest on a third, but that shouldn't be a problem. WvW is the only thing you'll miss out on, though I think you may also miss out on the guild buffs... I'm not sure though, I seem to remember reading somewhere that they changed that.

SRTtoZ

Can someone tell me how these low level characters have such cool looking gear? I see level 10's running around in matching full sets. I wanna be purdy too :(

Levyne

Banned
If they have a down arrow by their label, then they are likely actually level 80s just down-leveled to the zone. Or they have an armor set from HoM.

Weird, I wonder how long I can keep this kind of reply up.
Whoops, missed that >.>

It's what I get for skimming the thread at work

Colin has said that ANet has heard the feedback about the lack of permanent content additions and that it is being addressed. The musings so far include re-rolling MF, AR, etc into fractals and tying living story content into permanent dungeon changes for the regular dungeons (instead of randomly tweaking like in AC). We haven't seen the results of that effort yet, though. Eh. I guess the new jumping puzzle is permanent? A start.
Good to know they are hearing the outcry!

Is the guild still on SBI? I just redownloaded everything and probably going to jump back on to see how the game has changed since I last played a while ago.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, just got the game.

Just a quick question.

How can I set it so that when I click an enemy, when my player reaches that enemy, he will begin attacking?

Right now I have to hold in ctrl, then right click to attack. How do I set it to just right click?

edit- nvm, figured it out

Wow, I won't lie. I am overwhelmed here. I started a noble human, so I did some quests. But I am getting overwhelmed with stuff. So many icons, quest things, missions, achievements, etc etc.

Retro

Wow, I won't lie. I am overwhelmed here. I started a noble human, so I did some quests. But I am getting overwhelmed with stuff. So many icons, quest things, missions, achievements, etc etc.

It's a lot to take in. The best thing I can recommend is just pick a direction and go. You'll get hints on what to do in the upper right, and it should be pretty self explanatory.

If you're on tomorrow (I don't know what kind of sleep schedule you're on, but I'm about to crash here), definitely shoot me a whisper (/w Professor Retro) and we'll group up and I can answer any questions and sort of guide you along. I like that sort of thing anyways.

Edit: Oh yeah, this would probably help to repost;
1. Roll the class you think looks interesting and fun, not which you think will be most useful. If one doesn't click with you, try another. Whatever choice you make, you won't be penalized further down the road (i.e. you can get into a group no matter what class you pick now). Every class can contribute, even breaking MMO-tropes; Guardians (the Paladin-like class) have a couple ranged attacks, Rangers are good in melee, etc.
- That said, most people say the Guardian, Warrior and Ranger are good classes to start with, while Mesmers, Elementalists and Engineers have a bit of a learning curve. Seriously though, try what sounds cool to you, as all of the professions are pretty approachable and you can always ask for help here or in-game.​
2. Race has no statistical advantage; it will only give you a few race-specific utility and elite skills (none of which stand out over the others). Otherwise it is entirely cosmetic. Be aware that the "Tauren Effect" is in play here; the two large races, Norn and Charr, feel like they move slower than the others even though run speed is normalized. Likewise, Asura feel like they're flying. Some people (myself included) find it detracts from the game, YMMV.
- For what it's worth, Norn look insanely cool in full armor (especially plate) and Charr have an awesome four-legged run animation, so there's silver lining everywhere.​
3. Buy a copper Mining Pick, Harvesting Sickle and Logging axe as soon as you have the money; there's no gathering professions, everyone can gather everything so long as they have the tools. Resource nodes show up on your mini-map (Grey rock, green leaves, brown log pile) and are instanced for everyone; don't rush to mine a Copper node just because someone is running towards it, you will have your own copy waiting just for you.

4. Likewise, buy a basic Salvage Kit. This is similar to Disenchanting in WoW, but you actually get resources like cloth, leather and metal rather than dusts/essences. This is the primary method for getting cloth and leather, actually. You will get items from enemies that serve no purpose other than to be salvaged, and will be labelled as such.

5. You don't need to be at a waypoint to travel; you can open your map and travel to any waypoint you've previously visited at any time.

6. If you want bags, take up any of the armor crafting professions (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor) as all three can produce bags right away. You may also want to check the Trading Post (shortcut: o) because the prices there are pretty low.

7. You get weapon swapping at level 7 (unless you're an Elementalist or Engineer), and unlock utility slots at 5, 10 and 20. Elite skills unlock at level 30.

8. For a quick level or two, explore your race's starting city. When you open your map there will be a checklist of the waypoints (Diamonds), Points of Interest (Small squares), and Vistas (Two Red Triangles), all of which give you XP just for visiting them. It also nets you some money and goodies for fully completing the map.

9. Learn to dodge early, it will save you forever. Most enemies have a 'wind up' animation just before they deliver a large attack. The default dodge key is V.
- Red Circles on the ground are enemy AOE attacks; dodge out of those too.​
10. When your health reaches zero, you aren't automatically killed; instead you enter a 'downed' state where you can defeat an enemy (or heal yourself if none are around) to rally back at half health. Keep an eye open for a blue "V" symbol over other players, or on your mini-map; this indicates another played who has been downed, and you can revive them (default key: f) and get some experience.

11. Wander around and do stuff. One of the biggest complaints people new to the game have is that there isn't any direction it shoos you towards. There are traditional quests (marked with hearts on your map), but the real meat of GW2 are events which can happen anywhere at any time. Pay attention to your surroundings; people will often run up to you and ask for help, or you'll see signs that something is amiss (people are sick and the well water is green? Follow the pipes to investigate the water supply.)

12. Whisper any of the officers for an invite to GAF guild where your questions will be answered. Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Nephenee Reginleif, Professor Retro, Wallach or Arken Elric. You can be part of GAF Guild regardless of which server you are on (We play on Stormbluff Isle, but it is often full), and you can join multiple guilds as well (so if you have friends already playing, you can switch between them as you like).

13. We use Mumble, and have a GAF server just for our guild; talking is optional but being able to listen helps, especially in dungeons. We also tend to hang out and get overly excited about new features:
Server Address: atl.eoreality.net
Port: 64742
Use your GAF Name as your username to avoid confusion.

14. You can also register at GAFGuild.com, we post all sorts of events and discuss things a little more indepth than we do here, just to keep this thread open for general discussion without getting bogged down in theorycrafting, event notices and such.

AWESOME TIPS (i.e. "Why don't other MMOs have that?!")
- There are no mailboxes anywhere, because you can send and receive mail anywhere via messenger pigeons.

- Likewise, you can buy and sell on the trading post from anywhere. However, any items you buy, or any money you make from selling, can only be picked up at a Trader NPC (marked as a golden scale icon on your map).

- You can click the small gear in the upper right corner of your inventory and select "Deposit all Collectables" to automatically send any crafting materials to your bank. These items appear on the "Collectables" tab at your bank, a special space that holds all of that stuff for you instead of forcing you to hoard it in your regular storage space.

- Your bank space is shared between all of your characters, and there is a space on the lower right to deposit money.

- There is no mob tagging in the traditional sense; as long as you do above a certain threshold of damage, you will get credit and looting rights regardless of who attacked first.

Hey guys, just got the game.

Just a quick question.

How can I set it so that when I click an enemy, when my player reaches that enemy, he will begin attacking?

Right now I have to hold in ctrl, then right click to attack. How do I set it to just right click?

edit- nvm, figured it out

No quests, just hearts, you will never have to pick up a quest in this game, even your daily is in the hero panel under achievements, once you complete a Renown Heart you can speak to the NPC they becomes merchants, once you reach like level 12 renown heart merchant will start carrying armor and weapons so don't ever purchase armor/weapons in this game, the gear from RH NPC have is good enough to reach max level...

Also game has gathering storage, right click a gathered item and choose deposit collectible, if you are confused about what you can deposit hit I to bring up your inventory, at the top to the right you will see a gear icon click that and it will give you an option to deposit all collectibles, each gathered item can stack up to 250 in the collectible storage...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man that challenge ending was a buzzkill. Bashing dungeon baddies in the face afterwards helped me feel a bit better.
Three fails in a row smarts. I would officially pay for some simple guild mission logic i.e.: "roll does not select if this challenge has been attempted within the past 30 mins." As I've described before, the randomness is an important (somewhat crucial) aspect of guild mission design, but there's no good reason to get the same one twice in a row, or go A-B-A after failing A and then B, as happened last night.

Least I got a rushcommm

I also picked up the game, pretty fun as a norn hunter as charr warrior didn't click.
I just picked Underworld as it was very hi pop eu. Probably should have looked at this thread first..

Tk1UGvG.jpg

Top 6! Yeya!

Guys we need to keep posting so we can move onto the brand spanking new thread.

Fun fact: Nicoga is still 10th top poster even though he never plays or posts in here anymore.

I'm getting very little playing time this week :-(

I also picked up the game, pretty fun as a norn hunter as charr warrior didn't click.
I just picked Underworld as it was very hi pop eu. Probably should have looked at this thread first..
Yeah since guesting doesn't work cross region, all our EU guild members moved over to our server, Stormbluff Isle. If you are low level still, you can delete all your characters and re-roll on our server for free. EU members do not seem to have any lag issue.

Lunar15

I'm... 9th?

I didn't really think I posted here much. Then again, there's a huge drop off after Khold, The gap between the last 5 and the first 4 is pretty big. Well, and the gap between Hawk and Retro is pretty big too.

Fishious

I'd appreciate it if someone could invite me to the guild. Fishious.9352

My friends seem to be cooling to the game (it has been almost a year now) so it's getting harder to get people together for stuff and with the accelerated update schedule I'm finding it hard to get stuff like Molten Facility and Aetherblade Retreat done. Plus there's a whole slew of dungeon content I haven't even touched since I can usually only wrangle 3 friends at a time. I'll be guesting so no WvW for me, but I'll try to be there for guild events.

This marks nearly a year that I have been lurking in this thread. Not sure whether that makes me committed or creepy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm... 9th?

I didn't really think I posted here much. Then again, there's a huge drop off after Khold, The gap between the last 5 and the first 4 is pretty big. Well, and the gap between Hawk and Retro is pretty big too.
I wonder how many pages I don't appear on.

I'd appreciate it if someone could invite me to the guild. Fishious.9352

My friends seem to be cooling to the game (it has been almost a year now) so it's getting harder to get people together for stuff and with the accelerated update schedule I'm finding it hard to get stuff like Molten Facility and Aetherblade Retreat done. Plus there's a whole slew of dungeon content I haven't even touched since I can usually only wrangle 3 friends at a time. I'll be guesting so no WvW for me, but I'll try to be there for guild events.

This marks nearly a year that I have been lurking in this thread. Not sure whether that makes me committed or creepy.

Invite sent. Welcome to the Guild.

Watch out for Ades Dlohk...he might be infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom