• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric WK

Picked up the Chop-It-All axe without thinking twice. The sickle has already made my life in-game so much easier. I hope they bring back the mining pick or introduce a new one at some point, because I wasn't playing when it was available.

Speaking of which, the most recent sale on bank/bag slots I could find mentioned of happened in the first part of the year. Does anyone know how often those happen?

Lunar15

The new back items seem kind of shamanesque, which are perfect for my norn.

Bring it, Anet!

EDIT: Anyone find it weird that they're not mentioning or showing the Tengu at all?

It does...

The axe is finally in, huh..

*Grabs Wallet*

Lol, I'm slightly ashamed to say but I didn't want to spend all my ectos to buy it...so I put 20$ on gems so I can use 800 on the axe and keep 800 for the future.

I got to stop myself before I turn into the AshOhDin.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not going to suspect Tengu until I am staring them in the face. I don't get my hopes up like that.

Seda Khold said:
As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.
That really does put things in perspective, doesn't it?

This statement actually means a lot more to me than just excitement over new guaranteed releases every two week. It's the culmination of a design philosophy that the devs were talking to us as far back as February or even earlier about wanting to reach. It required a certain threshold of success, arbitrary or not, for ArenaNet to be able to commit to, and I'm thrilled for them. Wishing them many years of acclaim.

Love this rattling off of "don't worry, we got you" areas of the game they plan to touch with Living World:
We’ll refine and update existing content and locations, we’ll overhaul our explorable dungeons to make them more exciting, update our reward systems, add new fractals, create new activities, and turn our world’s giant bosses into even more epic encounters. We’ll introduce holiday festivals and other events that will appear on a yearly basis, but with updates and changes each year. We’ll create events that change the landscape of the world forever, leaving behind epic monuments, destruction, new playable content, and fantastic memories in their wake. We’ll introduce new maps and regions permanently to the world, but with a storyline that drives their creation and discovery to make them feel natural and seamless rather than suddenly tacked on.

nataku

Wonder if those weapon skins are permanent. They sound like they are, but it's hard to be sure considering their history.

Tied to the new achievement system maybe?

Hopefully we see some tengu in there. This ship sounds like something they would do.

Hawkian said:
Love this rattling off of "don't worry, we got you" areas of the game they plan to touch with Living World:

I really hope that new map reference includes WvW. I'd love it if they did a living story release focused on WvW introducing new borderlands maps and a PvPvE dungeon like Darkness Falls.

More on this "Floating City" from Chris Whiteside by the way of Massively (http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/0...-world-is-fair-game-chris-whiteside-on-guild/) interesting read.

On July 9th we have coming what is maybe the coolest thing ever: something called The Bazaar of the Four Winds. A floating city will fly around the world of Tyria trading and offering lots of new opportunities. There are connotations of pirates, but I can't really talk about it yet. Around gameplay, some of the developers looked at the concept art and thought wouldn't it be cool to have this sort of gymnastic, elemental-style movement that allows you to traverse cliffs and jump across huge gaps. Then they thought about turning it into a race against players in real-time and adding pick-ups, kinda like a Mario Kart thing, which they did. And this will unfold lots of stuff much further down the line that might change how creatures or elementals react to players. I can't wait to see people's reactions to the city. It has a really three-dimensional feel to it.

Looks like it might move city to city like it did with the Wintersday event.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
this sort of gymnastic, elemental-style movement that allows you to traverse cliffs and jump across huge gaps
Well that sounds fucking awesome.

Um, so a new permanent minigame, a floating city, a PvP minigame with new movement skills, a scavenger hunt, new materials/recipes from quartz for doing the meta, a new weapon set, at least 9 new armor pieces, a new PvP map, two new WvW trait lines, a new UI and rewards for achievements, and a whole ton of very Canthan-inspired aesthetic elements seen for the first time...

A week from today.

Halp.

nataku

Is it permanent? I got the impression that the Bazaar is temporary.

The mini game is in for good, and sounds like it has some sort of PvP element to it. Kinda like the costume brawl, I'd assume.

Put your Omnomberry Juice drinking skills to the test in this new, permanent mini-game. Seek out challengers around the world to learn their signature skills, then challenge your friends in PvP mode!

Lunar15

While everything looks really exciting in this update, I'll be really honest: They kind of need to prove themselves with this update after Dragon bash.

Dragon Bash made me feel like all of the updates are just going to be big grindfests that serve only to push people to buy things off the gem store, which is probably true in some small way.

It's hard to say what the nagging feeling in the back of my head is when it comes to living story updates, but sometimes I question whether they always wanted to make this content or were forced to after they realized existing content wasn't compelling on a long term basis. Don't get me wrong, this isn't me saying, "GW2 PLAYERBASE DOWN, ANET REACTS!" The fact that they've increased the server caps dispels that rumor, to an extent.

I think the feeling is that I'm not quite sure what this game is anymore, and I'm not sure Anet knows either. And this isn't exactly a bad thing. I can't sit here and complain about updates when we get awesome new instances every once in awhile like Aetherblade Retreat and the Molten Weapons Facility. But at the same time, I'm not really sure how new content meshes with content that was there since launch, or how new players even progress or view the world.

Part of the issue is that I've never played an MMO before, so I have no idea how they work in terms of having people play them for a long time. I don't have a clear idea of what "endgame" content even is in other games for me to compare here. There's no doubt that people constantly have complaints about this games on message boards and article comments, and in some ways I agree and disagree.

Heck, if anything, the closest thing to Guild Wars is actually Animal Crossing. Constant changes throughout the year, daily "grinding" in order to get better cosmetic items. But this isn't really a negative point. But it's certainly weird from an MMO standpoint or trying to understand what this game wants us to do.

EDIT: Well, that sure was a confusing ramble of a post.

Arcteryx

Finally! We are getting the achievement reward system they've talked about for ages.

Sounds like the armor/weapon skins will be included in it :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It hasn't, unless you're talking about some article we haven't seen yet. There was a big fuss made about a comment in an NCSoft investor report, but ArenaNet has said that they are 'investigating' one. I believe that was the exact term used. Since NCSoft isn't very involved with ArenaNet and investors generally don't get the finer details, the 'continual updates' of GW2 may just fall under 'expansion' as far as they're concerned.

I'm sure there will be one eventually, and they're probably working on one now, but officially? Nothing yet.

Edit: Found it: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05...s-2-expansion/

Aww poop, I want my playable tengu :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Polygon said:
In the upcoming Guild Wars 2 update, Bazaar of the Four Winds which will launch on July 9, players will be able to take part in Mario Kart-like races across a cliff in a floating city. Whiteside teased that players will be able to take advantage of air and elemental movement when they take part in the event, and the event itself will build on the existing storyline and grant access to new items and activities.
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/2/4483984/how-arenanet-is-making-guild-wars-2-a-living-world

I know most of you guys think the story in GW2 is really meh but I want these updates to mostly be about moving the main story forward. Love all the new dungeons, story instances and new areas. Could care less about the "activities" such as Crab Toss, SAB or Dragon Ball.

I like the normal GW2 gameplay but don't really like when all my skills change just to come up with some new activity.

More storiesand exploration, less activities please ANET!

Jira

I know most of you guys think the story in GW2 is really meh but I want these updates to mostly be about moving the main story forward. Love all the new dungeons, story instances and new areas. Could care less about the "activities" such as Crab Toss, SAB or Dragon Ball.

I like the normal GW2 gameplay but don't really like when all my skills change just to come up with some new activity.

More storiesand exploration, less activities please ANET!

Bad news for you cause they said the 2nd half of 2013 was going to have a lot of new minigames.

Bad news for you cause they said the 2nd half of 2013 was going to have a lot of new minigames.

Too bad for them I unsubbed earlier and they can no longer enjoy my $15 dollars a month.

This game should not become a mini game collection. Ugh I dislikes it so hard!

Guild Warrio Ware 2. So ugly.

Retro

So, just as a heads up to everyone; we're at 19000 posts, which means we're only 1k away from having to create an OT3. I messaged Aeana a few months back and asked their advice, so we don't have a repeat of what happened with this thread. His/her advice was to make a post about this point to "work out who will do it".

I've mentioned several times that I'm planning to do it, but I wanted to just sort of make it official now that we're getting close. Planning to keep it short and simple, nothing huge. Just being able to edit the OT with guild information will be a big help, something we weren't able to do with the OT2 for obvious reasons.

So, just as a heads up to everyone; we're at 19000 posts, which means we're only 1k away from having to create an OT3. I messaged Aeana a few months back and asked their advice, so we don't have a repeat of what happened with this thread. His/her advice was to make a post about this point to "work out who will do it".

I've mentioned several times that I'm planning to do it, but I wanted to just sort of make it official now that we're getting close. Planning to keep it short and simple, nothing huge. Just being able to edit the OT with guild information will be a big help, something we weren't able to do with the OT2 for obvious reasons.
You have my blessing! Go forth ociffer!

Lunar15

But Retro, you've barely said two words on Guild Wars 2. Someone like you can't possibly write a really long and detailed explaination of the game, along with tips, tricks, and outlines of the developer's goals.

We need someone with a really optimistic outlook on the game, and I'm just not sure that's you, Retro.

Retro

But Retro, you've barely said two words on Guild Wars 2. Someone like you can't possibly write a really long and detailed explaination of the game, along with tips, tricks, and outlines of the developer's goals.

We need someone with a really optimistic outlook on the game, and I'm just not sure that's you, Retro.

We should totally let Hawkian make it, with his 1000+ post lead on anyone else.

Seriously, how do you make so many posts Hawk?

Jira

Yeah you really need to step back and look at what this game has become before you can work on the OT, Retro.

Lunar15

My only input is that the OT should just have a lot of concept art, at least as thumbnails as not to make the post overly lengthy. Or incorporate it into the headers. Who knows! It's such a huge part of this game's charm and quality.

I trust whoever makes it, though. Free us from this oppressive thread title! Events never? More like meta events EVERY TWO WEEKS!

OT titles should be something like:

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Representing GAF for 1 year and counting.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Exploring the Living World

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Buy Once, Events Better, Living World Forever!

or

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Hawkian talks a lot and we sometimes listen. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
??? I didn't hear anything about Super Adventure Box.
Well it's all terribly mysterious. https://twitter.com/Lord_Vanquish/status/344187954924773376

Too bad for them I unsubbed earlier and they can no longer enjoy my $15 dollars a month.

This game should not become a mini game collection. Ugh I dislikes it so hard!

Guild Warrio Ware 2. So ugly.
Yeah I don't know, I disagree and there is lots of wrong in you, etc. I loved SAB outrageously, am crazy good at dominating Crab Toss and Dragon Ball is so fun I wish it were permanent as well.

It's silly to think of the game being anywhere close to becoming a minigame collection. At launch there was... 1. And Costume Brawl is so haphazard as to barely count, it's almost a collection of competitive emotes rather than a game. The main combat mechanics will always be what takes precedence as can be seen by the massive rebalance in the most recent patch.

Posting is easy

Look I just did it again

Retro

My only input is that the OT should just have a lot of concept art, at least as thumbnails as not to make the post overly lengthy. Or incorporate it into the headers. Who knows! It's such a huge part of this game's charm and quality.

I trust whoever makes it, though. Free us from this oppressive thread title! Events never? More like meta events EVERY TWO WEEKS!

I was actually going to use this as the header, and keep it very simple with just a Current Events section (for our guild schedule as well as whatever is happening in-game), answer the usual questions (Is there a GAF guild, how do I get in, etc.). Then a large section for guides; Hawkian has a ton, and a few people have written some as well. Then a section for screenshots (mostly from guild events).

Concept art would fit into the Current Events thing, maybe? I wanted to keep it utilitarian, going info-heavy rather than introducing players to the game. A link to Jira's original OT can always handle that.

Levyne

Banned
Before anyone gets upset, these are not serious suggestions

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Hawkian has more posts than you

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Beards not welcome

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| We fill bars every 2 weeks

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Necros no longer uncool

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Rangers perpetually uncool

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Just roll a Guardian already

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Now with more dress-up. Still no raids.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Or mounts.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Impersonating GAF mods since 2012

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Now with more "do x of y"

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| The Jormag fight takes too damn long

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Ecto welfare at 8 eastern, daily.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| We don't give a Polla

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Remember when Orr was cool?

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Everything happens in Lions Arch

Katoki

Wonder if those weapon skins are permanent. They sound like they are, but it's hard to be sure considering their history.

Tied to the new achievement system maybe?

Unless it's seasonal stuff based on whatever is going on with the world/whatever they're feeling at the time, I figure it'll be like HoM stuff and not change. But it's not like we know what it'll be yet.

I really hope that new map reference includes WvW. I'd love it if they did a living story release focused on WvW introducing new borderlands maps and a PvPvE dungeon like Darkness Falls.

People already complain about being forced to do stuff in WvW from the Obsidian Sanctum cache but then again it's the vocal minority. It is true that there're people that refuse to step foot in WvW/PvP because it's not their cup of tea but then there are the ones that discover it and have a whole new world opened up to them.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Evilore does not play Guild Wars 2.

Duh Layvine.

Ashodin

I'd be playing more often myself (and posting here) but I'm knee-deep in working on my puzzle game, so there's that. Which is half the reason why I'm not online usually to help with guild missions and such. Weekends are my personal time with my fiancee, so we end up doing not much Guild Wars 2.

Weekdays are gaming + gym + game dev.

nataku

People already complain about being forced to do stuff in WvW from the Obsidian Sanctum cache but then again it's the vocal minority. It is true that there're people that refuse to step foot in WvW/PvP because it's not their cup of tea but then there are the ones that discover it and have a whole new world opened up to them.

/shrug

I think throwing a bone to people who play WvW with a nice living story to kick off new borderlands maps and some type of PvPvE dungeon is the decent thing to do. PvE has had a metric shit-ton up updates, people who only do PvE can complain all they want. I'll take their complaints about as seriously as complaints people make about getting killed by other players in the PvP jumping puzzle.

I'm sure they can come up with some PvE related events to tie into such a LS update anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd be playing more often myself (and posting here) but I'm knee-deep in working on my puzzle game, so there's that. Which is half the reason why I'm not online usually to help with guild missions and such. Weekends are my personal time with my fiancee, so we end up doing not much Guild Wars 2.

Weekdays are gaming + gym + game dev.
I hate to say it but I'm going to be highly limited in playtime for the next ~week too, have a friend in town. I will try my best to keep the events schedule though, and at least announce in advance if I can't. I know I won't be able to do anything this Thursday, for example. We may want to just cancel anything official for that evening, actually, as everyone knows it's a national holiday
Hawkian's birthday
/shrug

I think throwing a bone to people who play WvW with a nice living story to kick of new borderlands maps and some type of PvPvE dungeon is the decent thing to do. PvE has had a metric shit-ton up updates, people who only do PvE can complain all they want. I'll take their complaints about as seriously as complaints people make about getting killed by other players in the PvP jumping puzzle.

I'm sure they can come up with some PvE related events to tie into such a LS update anyway.
They should tie the hinted WvW "mutators" to the "now playing" LS release! :D

Ashodin

I hate to say it but I'm going to be highly limited in playtime for the next ~week too, have a friend in town. I will try my best to keep the events schedule though, and at least announce in advance if I can't. I know I won't be able to do anything this Thursday, for example. We may want to just cancel anything official for that evening, actually, as everyone knows it's a national holiday
Hawkian's birthday

They should tie the hinted WvW "mutators" to the "now playing" LS release! :D

Wait, your birthday is on July 4?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm drawing a blank. What was this about?
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/devon-carver-on-the-future-of-world-vs-world/

We’ve also been tossing around some ideas to introduce variety into the matches on a weekly basis. Just imagine the possibility of rule changes that come in for a week and then disappear into the Mists. We’ll go into more detail about this in the future, but we think it will be a big boost to players who want to see some more variety.

Ashodin

10-capture_15122010_101031.png

AWWW yeah Judge Laws that change how WvW works.

So the continuation of the two week release schedule is cool, I just hope not all of the additions are going to phase out after a while... kinda sucks that they won't just leave some of the stuff in permanently!

Levyne

Banned
Colin has said that ANet has heard the feedback about the lack of permanent content additions and that it is being addressed. The musings so far include re-rolling MF, AR, etc into fractals and tying living story content into permanent dungeon changes for the regular dungeons (instead of randomly tweaking like in AC). We haven't seen the results of that effort yet, though. Eh. I guess the new jumping puzzle is permanent? A start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom