• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Is SAB really that fun? I think last time it was out was when I was just starting to play and could not get into it. Not sure how I feel about it coming back.

I found it pretty entertaining. Depends on how much you enjoy the jumping puzzle stuff to some extent, I figure.

Jira

They are working on an expansion but it's still quite a ways off.

They aren't working on an expansion. At this point they're still discussing the delivery method they want to use for larger content. They're developing stuff behind the scenes but there is no boxed expansion being developed. The question they're asking is do they:

- Do larger 2 week updates
- Release stuff every 3 months on top of the current updates
- Release stuff every 6 months on top of the current updates
- Release stuff every 12 months on top of the current updates

To me personally doing larger 2 week updates is my preference and here's why. The biggest hurdle every MMO dev has is keeping people playing their game. What keeps people playing? The answer is more stuff to do. So, rather than sitting there and holding back features for a year and then making you pay for it, wouldn't you rather just see the new stuff as soon as they finish developing it? Why wait when you don't have to? If Feature A takes 3 months to develop, you get it in 3 months rather than 12 months. You're not getting everything at once, BUT you continue to get stuff on a regular basis which keeps you entertained right? We all play this to be entertained and I'd rather be continually entertained instead of growing bored because I have to wait a year for specific features that I could have sooner.

Lunar15

On an unrelated note, which zone are all the screenshots for the legendary weapons taken in?

0c6a807-Legendary-Weapons.jpg

I don't remember an area being that dark and cloudy. Kinda looks like Sparkfly at night maybe?

Retro

Looks like Moto's been busy chopping wood. Now players can cross my uncrossable river! I'll have to rename it. Any suggestions?
https://vine.co/v/hirFnqpVOBx

you are right, maybe i am misunderstanding. mr. kerstein says "celestial will stay as it is minus the MF bonus on it" which implies there will be no "choose your replacement stat" on celestial gear like there will be for other gear.

but who knows, we'll see when the blog comes out, that will clear it up but from what mr. kerstein says i'm inclined to believe celestial gear will look the same as it does today, just no MF - a flat nerf.

Right; Celestial will still be the "All Stats" stat distribution (Power, Precision, Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Healing Power and Critical damage), without magic find in the mix. I would imagine whatever stat weighting MF had will be rolled into the other stats.

I was referring to players who have just started playing the game, not the people writing the story. They might not have played through the entire game yet to know all of the stuff we know, and they would have missed tons story that came from previous living story updates.

Think about it: It'd be a little weird when you're going through the starting areas and everyone's talking about the horrors of Zhaitan, but then you get to Lion's Arch and everyone's preparing to fight Jormag.

Ah. Yeah, that disconnect goes without saying. All the more reason the Personal Story should stop when dragons even start to get mentioned. Let it be the player's "Origin Story" and stop when they move on to bigger, more heroic things.

Is SAB really that fun? I think last time it was out was when I was just starting to play and could not get into it. Not sure how I feel about it coming back.

I love it, but I'm biased (see Username.... avatar.... post history... game library... etc.). It's like a little virtual vacation from the normal updates, which are still good, but something different is always nice. It's loaded with charm, has nice rewards and adorable characters. Somebody posted a papercraft SAB monkey on Reddit and I was tempted to make it, except I am not crafty at all and it would have ended up an abomination.

SAB sucks.
You suck!
DqjUt.gif

On an unrelated note, which zone are all the screenshots for the legendary weapons taken in? I don't remember an area being that dark and cloudy. Kinda looks like Sparkfly at night maybe?

Looks like Maguuma by night; maybe Sparkfly, but anywhere in that region would work.

Maybe my personal greatest moment in GW2 tonight...

I've done Scarlets Playhouse once. By no means an expert. My beloved Roxie needed that achievement, so we try to tag team it. That wasn't going so well. Agkel comes along, he needs the playhouse achievements too. We got through, all three of us got the perfectionist achievement. I was so close to being downed a couple times.

Thanks so much Agkel! And of course you, Roxie. You are the Best!!

Damn I love this game.

Edit: ^ She beat me to it.

^ Sorry you aren't more excited about SAB 2.0 Kos. I hope Anet will continue to develop more content you would like :)

SAB, to me, is a bit gimmicky. But I don't mind some quirkiness every now and then. I really feel I missed out ignoring SAB the first time around, and I'm glad they can do it again. I feel SAB lets the devs play around a bit. It lets them have some fun at work. I wish I could do that at my job lol.

I never played GW1, I have yet to read the books. No content will satisfy everyone. But I love that Anet can goof off for a week or two. I love the variation they are giving us the past few months.

Levyne

Banned
I'm bored, so I'll cross post this here.

Patch Note said:
First Birthday Gift
Fixed a bug that prevented some player characters from receiving their First Birthday Gift. This should also give a birthday gift to all characters that are over a year old, including those that have already received one.
Changed the amount of PvP glory gained when using the Birthday Booster to match the booster’s description.
General
The /age command now returns the number of days since your current character’s creation instead of the number of months.
Fixed a server crash.

I know some people were asking for the /age change, so that's cool. Some people are gonna have a lot of exp scrolls and birthday boosters. Also, we were able to see the one hour leash when the build went up. Cool.

Moondrop

Banned
After over a year, I'm finally moving toward a new build for my main.

I'm experimenting with a Rune of Perplexity/interrupt warrior. Combined with the Distracting Strikes trait, that's 9 stacks of confusion per interrupt. Mace/shield, Kick, and Stomp are core features. Carrion is main stat. Cleansing Ire seems valuable. I'm still undecided on the secondary weapon, remaining utility, other details. Maybe a stability utility. Thanks to Mornkor for theorycrafting discussion.

Early WvW results are good, but the build is hardly foolproof. So many people have stability with this guardian heavy meta. Only had a couple 1v1s but it was pretty devastating.

Katoki

I like jumping puzzles. I don't care for SAB. I especially don't care for retro-styled 3D graphics because it just makes my head hurt.

Levyne

Banned
Wallach I think brought that up in chat once. Seems like a devasting build indeed if you arent prepared for it. Luckily I won't have to see that in pvp.

Edit: @moondrop

Edit: SAB...I think I ended up liking once I knew how to do it fast for getting chest attempts. Roaming the worlds for baubles or whatever was a bit tedious but that could have been the blah swamp atmosphere.

Moondrop

Banned
The only counters to the build seem to be stability and keeping me out of reach. A toe-to-toe confrontation is a poor choice.

I also like how Kick and Stomp bring some AoE CC to the table.

I'll have to pour one out for my healing shouts though. Alas, they served me well.

Levyne

Banned
If only we had templates so you could trait and gear back instantly whenever. I didn't even bother switching out of zerker for my wvw stop today because it's so tedious (even though I enjoy the regen build a lot so far). Bannok was wrecking shit though so it didn't even matter.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Back in school-land. Have my gaming desktop.

Halo is dead to me. Waiting for next gen. Strong, strong itch to play this game.

I'm so far behind.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Don't worry there's no end game. We are just running in place for months on end. You can catch up.

I'm like, level 20-something on my first character. I burned myself out when it was in beta. Now that I have the chance to play again none of my friends are interested anymore. I don't know how much free time I'll actually have once school starts though.

Wallach

Wallach I think brought that up in chat once. Seems like a devasting build indeed if you arent prepared for it. Luckily I won't have to see that in pvp.

Edit: @moondrop

Edit: SAB...I think I ended up liking once I knew how to do it fast for getting chest attempts. Roaming the worlds for baubles or whatever was a bit tedious but that could have been the blah swamp atmosphere.

Yeah. This was the build video someone sent me; I apologize for it being a really stupid video but you can see how easily the build can wreck someone 1v1 at least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQbe_BPjmk

Levyne

Banned
Grizz: Ok. My serious answer would just be to pop into gaf guild and see if you like the atmosphere of the little community we've built. It's what keeps me logging in every day. It would also give you answers to any questions, access to guild missions or dungeon groups for more tangible rewards, or just plenty of people to fill up your contact list to just shoot the breeze with from time to time. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't quite gel and you do something else.

So I decided to try playing a bit since I stopped a few months ago. I failed half my invasions because the last wave people just kept killing Aetherblade champs instead of heading for the minions. I saw some people in chat making passive aggressive comments about the farmers and I'm guessing it's been something that happens quite often for this event.

So I decided to try some spvp after reading about ele nerfs (well that hasn't changed at least, they've been getting nerfed since beta lol). I decided to do something that sounded dumb after hearing about how condition builds are running more rampant and put points in fire...yea I know fire traits kind of sucked but I wanted to try it for the hell of it so I went 20/10/30/0/10 and hoped for the best. But it's basically a signet aura build using dagger/focus with rage sigil set with healing, air (can't believe this breaks stun now. Traited it's a 24 sec stun breaker), and chill signet with arcane shielding (also can't believe they made this break stun too). And surprisingly I was doing great, even against Necros tossing out conditions. The funny thing is that conditions can't be applied to you if they the projectiles don't hit you in the first place and swirling winds and the earth spells take care of that. It's also very easy to keep fury and protection up because I have 2 aura spells and each signet give me fire aura on top of that. But I guess I need to try more tomorrow since for some reason after some matches all the rooms were 0/20 players and gave me some error when trying to quick match.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Grizz: Ok. My serious answer would just be to pop into gaf guild and see if you like the atmosphere of the little community we've built. It's what keeps me logging in every day. It would also give you answers to any questions, access to guild missions or dungeon groups for more tangible rewards, or just plenty of people to fill up your contact list to just shoot the breeze with from time to time. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't quite gel and you do something else.

I'll probably get on tomorrow night then, around this time or a little earlier. I'll post before doing so.

Katoki

Yeah. The issue with all content like the invasions we have now is that everyone rushes to do it as soon as possible. Now that the assumed "majority" of the population has gotten the 13 zones done, anyone jumping in late won't get a success but rather only get credit for attempting and staying throughout the event regardless of if you participate after you tag one clockwork minion event (I think it was). A lot of people just sit there after tagging one clockwork event waiting for the fail state (usual at this point) so they can grab the end reward bags and move on to the next one to tag and AFK through. This is all while everyone else who still wants to farm the champions only really farms the champions.

At least you still get the achievement credit even if you fail.

Katoki

The gauntlet makes me feel inferior sometimes because I can't complete Liadri. At the same time, I'm not helping myself because I switch classes often enough that I don't really know one well enough to excel at it.

Proven

Yeah. This was the build video someone sent me; I apologize for it being a really stupid video but you can see how easily the build can wreck someone 1v1 at least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQbe_BPjmk

This was great. The only real problem was the reddit thread streaming in the upper left corner.
So I decided to try playing a bit since I stopped a few months ago. I failed half my invasions because the last wave people just kept killing Aetherblade champs instead of heading for the minions. I saw some people in chat making passive aggressive comments about the farmers and I'm guessing it's been something that happens quite often for this event.

So I decided to try some spvp after reading about ele nerfs (well that hasn't changed at least, they've been getting nerfed since beta lol). I decided to do something that sounded dumb after hearing about how condition builds are running more rampant and put points in fire...yea I know fire traits kind of sucked but I wanted to try it for the hell of it so I went 20/10/30/0/10 and hoped for the best. But it's basically a signet aura build using dagger/focus with rage sigil set with healing, air (can't believe this breaks stun now. Traited it's a 24 sec stun breaker), and chill signet with arcane shielding (also can't believe they made this break stun too). And surprisingly I was doing great, even against Necros tossing out conditions. The funny thing is that conditions can't be applied to you if they the projectiles don't hit you in the first place and swirling winds and the earth spells take care of that. It's also very easy to keep fury and protection up because I have 2 aura spells and each signet give me fire aura on top of that. But I guess I need to try more tomorrow since for some reason after some matches all the rooms were 0/20 players and gave me some error when trying to quick match.
I had a PvP rant agreeing with this post but on second thought I'm about a month too late.

I'm still afraid to check the sPvP forums to see how many people are whining about the condition meta.

Abandond

The gauntlet makes me feel inferior sometimes because I can't complete Liadri. At the same time, I'm not helping myself because I switch classes often enough that I don't really know one well enough to excel at it.

Doesn't help that I play Ele which seems to have almost 0 not-AoE, makes the Subject 7 achievement feel so difficult.

etrain911

I just started playing as a Guardian, but I'm having framerate issues with an i5 3570k and a gtx 770. I feel like those should be able to handle maxed settings while giving me 60 fps, but I guess not. :(

Katoki

I just started playing as a Guardian, but I'm having framerate issues with an i5 3570k and a gtx 770. I feel like those should be able to handle maxed settings while giving me 60 fps, but I guess not. :(

I have a 3750k and a 670 if that means anything. My 3750k automatically boosts and maintains 4.2 GHz under load and that helps a bit for the frame rate since a fair portion of it has to do with rendering the players. I also run SweetFX at it's default settings since I don't like the game's AA. I get a constant 50-60 FPS unless it's in WvW or WvW-like settings in PvE where things can be seen going slightly slower since it's chugging a bit at ~20-25 FPS.

I guess for starters, what in-game settings do you run? My settings

etrain911

I have a 3750k and a 670 if that means anything. My 3750k automatically boosts and maintains 4.2 GHz under load and that helps a bit for the frame rate since a fair portion of it has to do with rendering the players. I also run SweetFX at it's default settings since I don't like the game's AA. I get a constant 50-60 FPS unless it's in WvW or WvW-like settings in PvE where things can be seen going slightly slower since it's chugging a bit at ~20-25 FPS.

I guess for starters, what in-game settings do you run? My settings

My motherboard doesn't really allow me to OC the CPU, but I run at auto-detect or best looking settings since best performance causes all of the settings to go to their lowest. Maybe I'll copy yours. They seem reasonable.

Sophia

The game is very CPU dependent, and like most MMOs you will never maintain 60 FPS when there are many players onscreen fighting. I recommend using the auto-detect then fine tuning stuff based on what gives you acceptable performance with a lot of players on screen. Jumping into World vs World and finding a Commander in the map is a good way to easily get lots of players on screen.

You are maintaing 60 FPS or close to it on Auto-detect with no players nearby, correct?

jersoc

liadri takes patience and luck imo. took me 3 hours. lots of swearing, but it felt good to beat her. I still think she's cheap at times, but whatever.

Phazon

If you need more frames (certainly in crowded areas) -> lower down the quality of shadows and reflections or turn them off. Will make the most difference :)

After over a year, I'm finally moving toward a new build for my main.

I'm experimenting with a Rune of Perplexity/interrupt warrior. Combined with the Distracting Strikes trait, that's 9 stacks of confusion per interrupt. Mace/shield, Kick, and Stomp are core features. Carrion is main stat. Cleansing Ire seems valuable. I'm still undecided on the secondary weapon, remaining utility, other details. Maybe a stability utility. Thanks to Mornkor for theorycrafting discussion.

Early WvW results are good, but the build is hardly foolproof. So many people have stability with this guardian heavy meta. Only had a couple 1v1s but it was pretty devastating.

could I make this work you think with greatsword/sword-shield?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

• Enter
  • Kill black hole thingy.
  • Dart forward towards Liadri and lure shadow in
  • Move to next one, lure shadow in
  • Expect another black hole thingy while you get the third shadow

When Liadri begins moving, run in a circle in the center. If you run in the outer rim that means that if you're caught in an AoE you will need to roll to get out. In the center, you need to move the least distance to get out of the AoE's range. During my success attempt I didn't have to dodge once as I kept outrunning the AoE.

Mesmer would be an ideal class, if you have one of those. Because you don't need to stare at Liadri to attack you can just focus on running. Keep launching phantasms/illusions and shatter once you have two as chances are they'll get caught in the AoE and die anyway. Pack either Mass Invis for some breathing room (everyone stops chasing you, shadows included) or Polymorph Moa if you get caught in Liadri's spinning attack.

If you're in a panic and lose your cool, remember that the AoE doesn't strike twice in the same spot in succession, so you can hangout in a spot where it just hit for a bit.

Anyone know the state of Tier 1 NA WvW?

I haven'y played for over a month. It looks like JQ recruited a bit?

Also, yay SAB :) I sold the skins I farmed last time for about 100g so hopefully their's some money to be made.

Katoki

• Enter
  • Kill black hole thingy.
  • Dart forward towards Liadri and lure shadow in
  • Move to next one, lure shadow in
  • Expect another black hole thingy while you get the third shadow

When Liadri begins moving, run in a circle in the center. If you run in the outer rim that means that if you're caught in an AoE you will need to roll to get out. In the center, you need to move the least distance to get out of the AoE's range. During my success attempt I didn't have to dodge once as I kept outrunning the AoE.

Mesmer would be an ideal class, if you have one of those. Because you don't need to stare at Liadri to attack you can just focus on running. Keep launching phantasms/illusions and shatter once you have two as chances are they'll get caught in the AoE and die anyway. Pack either Mass Invis for some breathing room (everyone stops chasing you, shadows included) or Polymorph Moa if you get caught in Liadri's spinning attack.

If you're in a panic and lose your cool, remember that the AoE doesn't strike twice in the same spot in succession, so you can hangout in a spot where it just hit for a bit.

Aware of this. Maybe I wasn't shattering at the time and was depending on berserkers to do damage. Not particularly in a rush to do it anymore since classes have started and there're more important things than achievement points now.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Aware of this. Maybe I wasn't shattering at the time and was depending on berserkers to do damage. Not particularly in a rush to do it anymore since classes have started and there're more important things than achievement points now.

MADNESS

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can anyone manage to invite Grayman?

I will when I get home otherwise but it's going to be a long day.
Nice little piece. Finally letting themselves use the 3.5m mark (edit: that's as of June)

3UZ9GPS.png

Pfft. Somebody's riding the coattails of the bigger targets he fights alongside.

edit: Happy official anniversary everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom