• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I think, Lunar, in your case specifically you're waiting for something to happen but even you don't know what that is. You don't actually know what you're wanting or waiting for because you haven't seen it yet. When you do see it, then you'll be like oh man this is it! Thing is, as you said this will take time...could be after SAB could be 12 months from now, we just don't know. Also, it's well known that ANet doesn't talk about stuff till they're ready and they don't give dates cause that locks them in and if they delay people bitch up a storm. But hey we have PAX on the 31st and there's gonna be multiple things revealed there (Colin said as much to me). So who knows, maybe they'll preview something for the LS that's being worked on that will come out in a couple months that's exactly what you want.

The work they do is very significant, it's just in 2 week increments instead of many months all at once. Big changes have come already and continue to do so, just not all in one go.

Oh, I don't doubt why they do what they do. And in many ways I completely agree with the two week system. My posts are less angry rants and more just weird ponderings. GW2 is a really, really weird game, and Anet is a really really different developer. I'm the kind of guy who tries to break down things, such as why a developer does something, or where or a story is going. It's in my nature, even if it's ultimately meaningless. It's less "god this is awful please stop" and more "all of these things are weird, I wonder why they're happening and where it's heading".

I think the posts are coming more from the fact that I'm getting more questions than answers lately, both from the story and from the development of the game. I'm not used to playing a game where I don't really know what's going to happen to that game. This is not a bad thing, but it's mind bending to someone like myself who has endless curiosity and a constant desire to break things out and define them.

Taffer

3 before reset and 2 after would get me my legendary tonight but I'm happy just running once a day, not least because I've never ran 2 or 3.

You have to turn AA off for DarkD3 like you do for sweet fx?

Nope. It works on top of FXAA as well.

Whoa, DarkD3 really does look good with this game.

I tried it literally just on a hunch, since I liked how it made my Diablo III look (the presharpen was a big seller), and now I can't play GW2 without it anymore. It keeps colours vibrant, but tones it down a notch with some grey/blue, and the presharpen brings out all the lovely details in the texturework that gets lost in the game's natural blurryness.

Jira

Oh, I don't doubt why they do what they do. And in many ways I completely agree with the two week system. My posts are less angry rants and more just weird ponderings. GW2 is a really, really weird game, and Anet is a really really different developer. I'm the kind of guy who tries to break down things, such as why a developer does something, or where or a story is going. It's in my nature, even if it's ultimately meaningless. It's less "god this is awful please stop" and more "all of these things are weird, I wonder why they're happening and where it's heading".

I think the posts are coming more from the fact that I'm getting more questions than answers lately, both from the story and from the development of the game. I'm not used to playing a game where I don't really know what's going to happen to that game. This is not a bad thing, but it's mind bending to someone like myself who has endless curiosity and a constant desire to break things out and define them.

Very true, with ANet I never know what to expect from them and I love them for it.

Retro

Ugh, why does everyone start interesting discussions the minute I step out to do errands? I'll have to dig into these posts after dinner...

Very true, with ANet I never know what to expect from them and I love them for it.

If you love them so much, why don't you just MARRY THEM!?

CmoG1.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
3 before reset and 2 after would get me my legendary tonight but I'm happy just running once a day, not least because I've never ran 2 or 3.
I'm not going to be home til a bit after 6 so that's probably not quite pratical to run with me but maybe close!

Wallach

Dat 460k concurrency....for reference the two most popular games in the world (DoTA2 & LoL) have hit around 500k concurrency. If that doesn't show how successful GW2 is and STILL is, I don't know what will.

You're missing a digit there for League. Their peak concurrency is over 5,000,000.

Is today still free gems day?

Retro

How inflated are those numbers by people just logging in and watching matches? I see a ton of people on my Steam Friends list "playing" DotA 2, but when I ask them they're just spectating matches or whatever.

markot

Banned
Why didn't they just call her Harley Quinn? It's so bad. I hate this lore.... It's just filter shit, but it keeps getting worse and worse.

Grayman

Logged in from work and invited him.

Welcome to the guild, Grayman.

Happy Official Launch Anniversary to all of you!

Going through that Guild Wars 2 by the numbers made me remember a lot of fun times I have had with all of you.

How many of you remember when Alpha in CoE had more health than the open world dragons? Those were some crazy nights.

Stick with Adriaa and Sophrelia, and you will learn a lot.
Next time maybe NoisyNinja can bring his Warrior as well and we can have 3 W 2 Mes run and see how fast we take down Lupi!
Thank you I will hop on later tonight and introduce myself. I usually play on my elementalist Cezium.

Scala

Nope. It works on top of FXAA as well.

I tried it literally just on a hunch, since I liked how it made my Diablo III look (the presharpen was a big seller), and now I can't play GW2 without it anymore. It keeps colours vibrant, but tones it down a notch with some grey/blue, and the presharpen brings out all the lovely details in the texturework that gets lost in the game's natural blurryness.

Sorry, but how to "install" it? Do I need to erase all the SweetFX files? We just need the Pause Break to activate, right?
Thanks in advance.

Anno

Alright guys, deaths-per-day check. 239 days on Anno, 633 deaths. 2.65 per day. Probably shameful for a Guardian, but I imagine that most of them are from jumping puzzle deaths, being overly ambitious in WvW and, more recently, trying crazy things in the Gauntlet.

Whichever of these groups you happen to belong to will probably be the biggest factor in whether you enjoy WvW on JQ right now.

Alright thanks for the Summary man! Greatly appreciated :)

I play on SoR and have a thorough dislike of BG so it sounds like there are some fun times to be had..

TrounceX

Alright thanks for the Summary man! Greatly appreciated :)

I play on SoR and have a thorough dislike of BG so it sounds like there are some fun times to be had..

Ah excellent, I can tell you are a true Rallian then.

Keep up the good fight, and if you see [FEAR] running around be sure to follow. We are very efficient at converting Blackgate into lootbags if you know what I mean. They don't call them BagGate for nothing hah.

Sorry, but how to "install" it? Do I need to erase all the SweetFX files? We just need the Pause Break to activate, right?
Thanks in advance.

It will overwrite the SweetFX dll, so technically unzipping it into your GW2 folder will nix SweetFX, and use DarkD3 instead. It's on by default, Pause/Break toggles it off.

Jira

The Tribulation Mode skins are color-shifted variants of the regular set. Each World has a color. Blue is the general SAB color (so not gained through Tribulation Mode), Green is World 1, Yellow World 2, Red World 3 and Purple World 4. This follows the Bauble value color scale. But don’t get your hopes up for getting the Tribulation color variants. Tribulation Mode is ridiculously difficult and time consuming. I don’t expect to see many green or yellow super skins out there. TM is there for a very small group of people who are into that sort of thing.

I feel like turning off FXAA in GW2 when you use DarkD3 helps. Otherwise text is oversharpened and funky looking. Though I'm at 1900 x 1200.. so maybe that makes a difference?

Edit: Dammit Jira.. you're gonna make me lose all my free time in SAB with those kinds of quotes.

nataku

Completely off topic, but I was one of those poor souls who bought the FFXIV version 1.0 CE a couple years ago, so I get a two week trial to the new version. I go to create a character this morning and what do I find? Every single NA server closed to new character creation. All EU servers closed to new character creation.

I just got off work and tried it again. All NA servers still closed to new character creation. Every. Single. Server.

I could play in Japan with horrible ping and no English speaking players, though!

I can't believe what a horrible mess FFXIV is. Thank you, ANet, for never putting us through that bullshit.

Jira

I feel like turning off FXAA in GW2 when you use DarkD3 helps. Otherwise text is oversharpened and funky looking. Though I'm at 1900 x 1200.. so maybe that makes a difference?

Edit: Dammit Jira.. you're gonna make me lose all my free time in SAB with those kinds of quotes.

Yeeeeeeep :D

Completely off topic, but I was one of those poor souls who bought the FFXIV version 1.0 CE a couple years ago, so I get a two week trial to the new version. I go to create a character this morning and what do I find? Every single NA server closed to new character creation. All EU servers closed to new character creation.

I just got off work and tried it again. All NA servers still closed to new character creation. Every. Single. Server.

I could play in Japan with horrible ping and no English speaking players, though!

I can't believe what a horrible mess FFXIV is. Thank you, ANet, for never putting us through that bullshit.

Yeah and it's not going to be resolved until next week sometime.

Remfin

I know there's more, but the most "visible" Living World thing is that refugee settlement in Wayfarer, which has:
  • No one to talk to
  • No DEs
  • No Hearts
  • No Vistas
  • No merchants
Basically, everything that makes you excited to see a new settlement in GW2 on the horizon as you crest a hill isn't included.

It felt like Microsoft adding the Start Button back into Windows8 and all it does is open the new UI no one wants.

Lunar15

I know there's more, but the most "visible" Living World thing is that refugee settlement in Wayfarer, which has:
  • No one to talk to
  • No DEs
  • No Hearts
  • No Vistas
  • No merchants
Basically, everything that makes you excited to see a new settlement in GW2 on the horizon as you crest a hill isn't included.

It felt like Microsoft adding the Start Button back into Windows8 and all it does is open the new UI no one wants.

Well, to be entirely fair, you could go back and see a cutscene with Braham where he gets his heart broken by his girlfriend and then explains that his mother has increasing interesting in getting him to see the world.

But yeah, it seems odd and random up there. It's not a refugee camp though, it's a village. Has its own brewery too! There's also the North Nolan hatchery in Diessa which serves a similar role.

Kite

Well, JQ has definitely seen a 'renaissance' of sorts after their vacation into tier 2 for a couple weeks (you probably missed this). Playing against the weaker competition seemed to re-energize their player base, and the fair-weather players have been out in force.

What you see in PPT, however, is more due to server politics than JQ suddenly becoming an actual contender.

So briefly, here's the deal:

JQ's exit from T1 only served to aggravate the already strained relations between SoR and BG. In fact, it's now become an all out grudge match. So much so that either server would rather help JQ get PPT than let the other have it.

It basically plays out like this:

Oh, JQ wants a tower? ok, whatever.
BG taking our supply camp? ALL CALL 80v80 collision in the camp.

So basically whoever JQ decides to leach points from, they do so without much resistance. Good for their PPT, and for the casual players to get their karma and some unorganized fights in, but not much fun for the hardcore community that is looking to be competitive.

Whichever of these groups you happen to belong to will probably be the biggest factor in whether you enjoy WvW on JQ right now.
There is also some drama among some of the wvw guilds on BG this week so their score this week may or may not be a true indication of their usual strength, we'll see next week if they bounce back. But honestly I'd like to tag team JQ's ass with BG just for one week. They've played the politics game too damn well so they never get double teamed, tis some bs.

PS
I decided to join FEAR not too long ago, after running with all of the major wvw guilds on SOR they fit me the best. Kinda trolly, lots of shit-talking and inappropriate comments amongst ourselves and very good at killing BG and JQ and getting bags :D

I want Saturday to come already so I can watch the live-stream at PAX with ANET. I hope they are not vague and actually spell things out about where the story is going next and what features are coming soon.

Guys, any tips to improve performance in this game?

I have a good PC and I am on 1080p but everything is on low/medium.

I feel like the game coudl be prettier. :p

PS - I really need to get skills/armor whatever that protect me from being immobilized.

I only die if the enemy has that

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
After doing Field of Ruin for the 5th time, it finally counted towards the Invasion Canceler achievement.

Such a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom