• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
My perplexity warrior build is amusing and effective 1v1, but disappointing in large scale fights. The reasons include guardians spreading stability, plentiful condition removal, and limited range on kick and stomp.

I'm going to bring back my cleric build and see if it's still effective or if the meta has passed me by. I'm also going to bring back my beastmaster ranger to see if I overreacted to the nerfs.

Levyne

Banned
Guys, any tips to improve performance in this game?

I have a good PC and I am on 1080p but everything is on low/medium.

I feel like the game coudl be prettier. :p

PS - I really need to get skills/armor whatever that protect me from being immobilized.

I only die if the enemy has that

Lowering Character Limit/Quality, shadows and reflections will help fps a lot. In my experience reflects and limit are the biggest help.

Game is highly cpu dependent. What are you running?

If you are worried about the game looking nice, you can try sweetfx or I suppose some people are now tinkering with the Dark3D. You can do some nice things with limited performance hit. I might take some pictures when I am home just because I surprised myself at how drab, washed out, and blurry the vanilla game can look.

Hyunashi

There is also some drama among some of the wvw guilds on BG this week so their score this week may or may not be a true indication of their usual strength, we'll see next week if they bounce back. But honestly I'd like to tag team JQ's ass with BG just for one week. They've played the politics game too damn well so they never get double teamed, tis some bs.

PS
I decided to join FEAR not too long ago, after running with all of the major wvw guilds on SOR they fit me the best. Kinda trolly, lots of shit-talking and inappropriate comments amongst ourselves and very good at killing BG and JQ and getting bags :D

I would love if SoR could focus JQ for a week. My dislike with that server starts and ends with Waha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Somebody datamined an anniversary gift of 200 gems but it didn't happen sooo nobody missed out by not logging in.
I want Saturday to come already so I can watch the live-stream at PAX with ANET. I hope they are not vague and actually spell things out about where the story is going next and what features are coming soon.
I wouldn't except any story revelations whatsoever at PAX. The target audience wouldn't have any idea what they were talking about.

Somebody datamined an anniversary gift of 200 gems but it didn't happen sooo nobody missed out by not logging in.

I wouldn't except any story revelations whatsoever at PAX. The target audience wouldn't have any idea what they were talking about.
I meant ANeTs PAX event, the one not happening at PAX but besides PAX. I guess they are calling it Anniversary Bash.

I missed out on COE runs last night. Hope people will be running a dungeon tonight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I meant ANeTs PAX event, the one not happening at PAX but besides PAX. I guess they are calling it Anniversary Bash.

I missed out on COE runs last night. Hope people will be running a dungeon tonight.
Ooooh. Gotcha.

Taffer needs 2 more COEs if he hasn't done them yet!

I really love COE. It's my favorite dungeon. All paths are fast for a good group and pretty unique. The part that held us up the most was the caged destroyer room in P3 and even that, for a group with at least 2 or 3 that hadn't done or remembered it, didn't slow us down all that much. I did a path each with my Ele, Mesmer and Thief and happened to sort of mismatch against the Alpha version on that path, which was a fun bit of challenge. I used my ele for path 2, which is really well-suited to my Thief, and screwed myself on the second round right away by forgetting Lightning Flash for the crystal trap (thanks again for the solo kill Adriaaa)... whereas my Ele is perfect for the path 1 stackable Alpha (though obv. he's kind of cake no matter what). Mes matched up fairly well against the Path 3 version but I maintain he's the toughest of the three due to the low startup on the spike plus inability to stack plus confines of the platform of the final fight. All in all I think he's a really solid boss with clear tells, outside of path 1 requiring mostly active combat too. Any class can totally deal with everything he throws at you but it's definitely something you improve naturally with over time like how Mega Man bosses always were for me.

Er. Anyway.

Nobody would do SE1 with me last night. That run is nowhere near as popular as it needs to be. It used to be almost equally viable for rapid gold-acquisition as COF1, now it kicks the shit out of it. I would honestly not mind making a speedrunning team for it and running it multiple times in a row. Outside of the bonus altogether, it's probably the fastest method of getting Gear Boxes outside of Invasions, and depending on how efficiently you can run the path, maybe even beating them, honestly. What I want to do is get better at handling Kaeyi. I want his damn box, but fighting them together in the back room is a clusterfuck, and pulling him too far out is wonky and he'll leash. He used to stick around after killing Tazza, but with the champ loot change ANet had the foresight to despawn him if you do that first.

Jira

Overall yes we know there’s a change in short run income for players, though it’s not as severe as speculated. No, we aren’t surprised. Yes, there are plans in place to make sure the economy doesn’t experience permanent, hyper-inflation.

As far as the median numbers go, remember that how much information I can give out on the forums is often very limited. I do my best to give you a picture that you can work with. I described exactly how to take the one number I gave out and create an accurate model of what’s happening. The uncertainty in your model is unfortunately unavoidable (but can be minimized) as I can’t always post the full picture of everything that’s happening.

- John Smith

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Coe last night was a ton of fun. I felt like we really mproved as a team over the 2 runs.
Definitely, it's a really good feeling. I think it does speak to PvE combat being deeper than surface impressions show you. Sure plenty of it is just each individual player being good and not sucking such that the rest of the group has to compensate, but there's also a lot of synergy behind the scenes and you naturally take more advantage of it the longer you're in a team, even if subconscious.
Pretty sure the PAX preview is for SAB.
Hm why?

Why would I vote for a game with no subscribers, no end game, and is all but dead.

Maybe because you play this game more than you live your life?

Also it looks like official forums and reddit have found out about Robert Horoud's lay off. Everyone is unhappy about it.
Some think dungeons are doomed without him.

TrounceX

I would love if SoR could focus JQ for a week. My dislike with that server starts and ends with Waha.

Well, If you hate Waha you should join us for our weekly Sunday morning raid!

7AM Eastern every Sunday.

It's hilarious how bad at fighting Waha actualy is. They're too used to PvDoor haha.

It's sad that ANet wasn't nominated for best studio and that GW2 wasn't nominated for best visual design.

I totally agree with you.

It is pretty awesome being the only game from the Best Online Game section to be in the Best Game of the Year section.

nataku

Maybe because you play this game more than you live your life?

Also it looks like official forums and reddit have found out about Robert Horoud's lay off. Everyone is unhappy about it.
Some think dungeons are doomed without him.

He was laid off? What happened?

Complistic

I really do think theyre going overboard on the temp stuff. And i supported them for the first year because i know tbey like their holiday stuff. But if they dont announce an expansion or start actually makinv the world bigger i could see myself losing interest slowly over the next year.

Retro

I really do think theyre going overboard on the temp stuff. And i supported them for the first year because i know tbey like their holiday stuff. But if they dont announce an expansion or start actually makinv the world bigger i could see myself losing interest slowly over the next year.

Well, they've said before that the first year was about 'building a portfolio of recurring content' that they can build on, rather than creating all new things from scratch for things like Halloween or Wintersday. I guess the theory is that they won't have to spend as much time on those things and can focus instead of bigger, more permanent content.

As much as I want more permanent stuff, it's hard to be upset when we're getting the SAB in 5 days.

Did they reinstate the Karma boost yet? Or is it still at the old rate for boosters?

It doesn't switch until September 3rd, so use your boosters / banners / food / whatever and dump your jugs before then.

Jira

Strengthening the current world will continue till January and then that will mark the 1 year anniversary of their strengthen the core game project. So after that it's likely they'll start expanding outwards. Also, really don't expect an expansion announcement anytime soon because they're not even working on one. I have to say this time and time again but you WILL get all of those things you want and you'll get them faster than waiting for one collective content/feature dump from a box. They're still talking about how they want to deliver such content. Bigger 2 week updates? Every 3, 6, 12 months?

Lunar15

It's funny, the official forums were freaking out about the glass door reviews of Anet, but honestly they were pretty positive, and all the cons sound like every single small-mid size studio.

There is some stuff about conflicting visions, but that is how it is in every small studio, no matter where you are.

Complistic

I guess my problem is, other than the holidays they arent really strengthening the main world. If they wanted to do.that they should have gkne through zone by zone and added/updated the maps/ events. That would have added value.

Temporary content adds temporary value. I appreciate it when i play it. But i cant appreciate it furher in the future. And neither can my friends that never got to play it.

Jira

I guess my problem is, other than the holidays they arent really strengthening the main world. If they wanted to do.that they should have gkne through zone by zone and added/updated the maps/ events. That would have added value.

Temporary content adds temporary value. I appreciate it when i play it. But i cant appreciate it furher in the future. And neither can my friends that never got to play it.

What about Guild Missions, guaranteed rare loot on world bosses, champ loot, the upcoming new crafting mats on jumping puzzles, minidungeons, etc, the achievement reward system.

These things have all got people out doing stuff they wouldn't have previously because they're more rewarding. That is strengthening the world at a core gameplay level that will extend into every area for the life of the game. The analogy I like to use is that they've had some uneven foundations but what they're doing is smoothing it out so that when they start building upwards that it won't topple over and make everything come crashing down on top of them.

Lunar15

I think that's a fake statement someone on the forum made up. I can't actually find a source for it. My mistake for posting it.

It's on his facebook, clear as day. Definitely seems frustrated, but moreso that he's no longer at anet.

I always liked how open he was on dungeons, and it was fun running a few with him. He had some good sensibilities. Best of luck to him.

Retro

Devon Carter said:
Do you love WvW?
Do you want to show everyone your world is truly the best of them all?

Then you should watch or attend the Guild Wars 2 Anniversary Bash Panel for a special WvW announcement that we are extremely excited about. The panel will be live-streamed and I’ll be leading the whole thing off with some very cool WvW news. Don’t miss it! (source)

Saturday is looking to be a good day.

Complistic

Fair enough. I even like the temp stuff. I tbink its neat i was there when the old lighthouse in la came down. I just want new places to run around i guess. And ill get them in time.

Was a good year. Got a legendary, stopped the karka and scarlet, participated in election fraud by selling kanik my votes. Good stuff.

Levyne

Banned
They're upped but not as much as having the combining boosts. Otherwise they wouldn't have needed to backtrack and delay.

Retro

It's on his facebook, clear as day. Definitely seems frustrated.

Most people who get laid off are upset, especially if they really liked the job. There's a ton of speculation flying around now, but he could have been let go for something as simple as showing up late to work too many times, using company resources for personal use... hell, he could have said something in an e-mail that somebody took offense at and was let go by HR. The fact is, we don't know what happened, and probably never will. Robert was a cool guy whenever we talked to him and one of my favorite experiences in the game was running a dungeon (SE) with the guy who designed it. He'll be missed.

It's funny though, as soon as news of this broke, so did people posting that GlassDoor stuff and how one guy being let go for completely ambiguous reasons has now turned into "MASS LAYOFFS AT ARENANET, A VERY BAD COMPANY TO WORK FOR!!!!!111oneone."

Levyne

Banned
I ran AC3 with him after the revamp. This is before everyone knew to just stack on the pillar at Colossus. Fun times. I'm glad he still plays and hopefully is enjoying his time in game.

I wonder what it's like to read a thread like that about yourself. Likely it's indescribable.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Nobody would do SE1 with me last night. That run is nowhere near as popular as it needs to be. It used to be almost equally viable for rapid gold-acquisition as COF1, now it kicks the shit out of it. I would honestly not mind making a speedrunning team for it and running it multiple times in a row. Outside of the bonus altogether, it's probably the fastest method of getting Gear Boxes outside of Invasions, and depending on how efficiently you can run the path, maybe even beating them, honestly. What I want to do is get better at handling Kaeyi. I want his damn box, but fighting them together in the back room is a clusterfuck, and pulling him too far out is wonky and he'll leash. He used to stick around after killing Tazza, but with the champ loot change ANet had the foresight to despawn him if you do that first.

Using GW2LFG I used to run CoF1 -> CoF2 -> SE1 on each of my alts. Sooooo much money, which is why I scoff at the people farming pirates.

I still love me SE1.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For anyone who has been in this thread and its predecessors since the beginning, it's not unreasonable to suspect you might slowly lose interest in Guild Wars 2 over the next year no matter what they do, nor would it be unreasonable for you to do so. In any other genre (excluding highly competitive multiplayer "scenes"), it would be a downright aberration for you to play a game religiously for two years and then have just as much interest and motivation at the start of year three as you did at the start of year one. That such a scenario is considered not only something within the realm of possibility, but an actual expectation of the devs held by consumers of the product, speaks to the kind of game we expect an MMO to be- but that game isn't necessarily one ArenaNet is aiming to make. Nor does NCSoft have any pressing desire to encourage them to start making that game instead.

The overarching brilliance of this "B2P with robust-but-not-gamebreaking cash shop" model is that there's no dependence on the guaranteed recurring revenue provided by keeping long-term monthly subscribers.* A particularly well-received release might make them more money than a poorly-received one due to higher concurrency and more attractive cash shop items leading to boosted gem sales, but a poorly-received release will crucially never lose them money in terms of hard cost. In terms of opportunity cost, they still have substantial motivation to make good releases instead of bad ones, but the types of players targeted by new releases can and will be completely out of sync with traditional subscription-based MMO content additions.

To use an analogy: imagine two versions of a Fruit of the Month club. In the first, you pay a monthly subscription and are sent a few pieces of fruit every month. In the second, you pay a one time fee and are sent a piece of fruit every month with the option to shell out a little cash for extra bits of fruit whenever you feel like it.

The first scenario is quite successful and results in lots of people happily paying every month for their fruit. However, over time it becomes clear that the people who have been paying every month for the longest period of time really prefer apples over all other kinds of fruit. In fact, one month they deliver oranges and a huge swath of paying customers dislike them so much that they cancel their subscriptions. The service immediately returns to delivering apples, and eventually, every month simply offers a new variety of apple. Some of these apples are particularly bitter and have rather challenging textures that other potential subscribers don't like at all; still, the threat of hard cost dollars lost in recurring revenue from loyal subscribers is significant enough that it's all apples, all the time.

The other service- at least in pure fiscal terms- doesn't have to preoccupy itself at all with what kind of fruit the customers who have already paid like most. Certainly plenty of them love apples, but instead of being beholden to that group the service is free to seek out people who prefer other fruits, and even make inroads with customers that don't like apples at all! The eventuality here is that even if they try oranges and they're poorly received, the instinct isn't to immediately return to apples: maybe the next month they'll try dragonfruit, then mamey, then apples- then maybe even try oranges again a few months later.

To bring this back into our terms: in NCSoft's eyes, a brand new player who buys the game on sale tomorrow and spends $30 on gems before reaching level 80 is literally more valuable than someone who paid full price and has been playing since headstart with 12,000 achievement points but hasn't bought any gems. It's to ArenaNet's enormous credit that they designed their game to avoid the "greed + efficiency" approach that caters primarily to the former player over the latter- which is to say, they do not rely on "pay to win" contrivances in any viable way. Thus the 12,000 achievement point player is more than welcome to go on playing at her leisure without ever feeling the need to pay a cent- the "downside" being the likelihood that the game's content releases won't exclusively cater to her, either. Lapsing back into the analogy for a second, it's the difference between knowing that apples are coming if you just keep paying and wait long enough, versus being served a variety of fruit including some you're almost guaranteed to hate.

This analogy of course ignores the phenomenon of paid, boxed expansions specifically designed to switch things up and cater to new, incoming players ("no really, oranges!!!") and attract a new and different customer base. But the point is that the non-subscription service avoids the need to attempt this altogether. All the orange-lovers need to do is wait until they hear there are oranges and take the plunge then. This is bad news for people who exclusively love apples, but good news for those who like just about anything else, better news for those who love a variety of fruit, and the best news of all for the service itself, which has absolutely no motivation to directly compete with their apple-dispensing subscription-based peers.

What NCSoft is rubbing its hands together over right now is the prospect of tapping into an completely untouched Asian market and making huge stacks of cash. But doing so successfully means a few important things for ArenaNet: a) tightening and reworking the in-game reward systems one by one, b) developing a larger portfolio of flashy content to draw from than was available for the Western launch (due to competing in a different market space there vs. here) and c) strengthening and developing a stronger tutorial/new player orientation system for more process-oriented eastern MMO gamers. The totality of these things might not actually be even remotely interesting to you or me, but they eat dev cycles and they are "strengthening the core world" in the most basic terms. They mean a refinement of the most basic aspects of the game that affect all players, and they are not simple to implement.

All of that was an extremely long-winded way of getting at the following:

Eventually, you're going to stop wanting to log into Guild Wars 2 on a daily or near-daily basis. Then you're going to stop wanting to log in every week. Then you won't have the desire to play at all for longer periods of time- months or years. It's going to happen to me, too. This is going to be the case regardless of what ArenaNet does with their time, just like it would happen with any other game that isn't designed to financially incentivize the opposite.

But there's nothing wrong with that. Because the model is so generous you could sit out for all of 2015 and come back in 2016 without being penalized in any practical sense. And because of the release design methodology you can pop in game, after all that time, and ask two things:
1) What's new to see since I left?
2) What's going on right now?

And both will have answers that will be revelant things you can do at that moment if you so choose. That's where a statement like "temporary content adds temporary value" falls apart. Because the game requires no continuous investment, its value both increases enormous over time and remains at at constant (though variable, depending on what kinds of fruit you like) high at any given moment.

---

*Just to tie up the loose ends in this rant, I thought of the counter-argument that might be made here...
Q: But what about GW1, the company's only other game? That didn't rely on a cash shop significantly at all, just independent boxed campaigns, and it was a big success.
A: While a magnificent product with enormous value, GW1 was rather simply not an MMO at all. It was an instance-based multiplayer RPG with very beautiful and complex user lobbies masquerading as physical locations in an overworld. Much like the more recent Path of Exile, it cleverly obfuscated its limitations to the point where you did, if you didn't think about it too much, feel part of a connected online world. But neither is, in any real sense, "massively multiplayer." The two games have entirely different economies of scale and GW2 flat out costs enormously more to develop for and maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom