• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
She just pumped her account magic find to 19% yo

edit:

Existing exotic discovered recipes will be reset so you can re-discover them for XP if you want
New refinements using existing ingredients, and new ingredients that come from all over the place (Champs, World Bosses, Dungeons, Jumping Puzzles/Minidungeons, WvW events)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like a pain in the ass.
To be sure. Reminds me of how crafting ascended back pieces was at first introduction

man I don't get the way that color scheme thing worked at ALL

Crafted weapons look to be account bound, which is not what I expected.

edit: Oh Taffer. Meteorlogicus got some pretty raw upgrades.

Moot owners also probably happy

nataku

Eternity footsteps look amazing now.

With the legendary stat change going into effect it's time to start working on one I suppose.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh Kos... Quip made 10-20% more annoying apparently

edit: Sounds like crafting an Ascended weapon from scratch takes roughly two weeks.

Levyne

Banned
Well good thing I don't need too many on my main then. I'll start working on the couple that I want and my alts in exotics for the time being

Jira

People...Ascended stuff is meant to be a medium term goal inbetween exoitcs and legendaries. Did you really think you were getting one day one?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well good thing I don't need too many on my main then. I'll start working on the couple that I want and my alts in exotics for the time being
lol

"good thing I have so many legendaries already"
People...Ascended stuff is meant to be a medium term goal inbetween exoitcs and legendaries. Did you really think you were getting one day one?
Two weeks is relatively shorter than I had in mind. Considering the implication that she meant two weeks to craft every component yourself, after a few months when it's viable to buy more of the needed stuff off the TP it could be even less.

Jira

lol

"good thing I have so many legendaries already"

Two weeks is relatively shorter than I had in mind. Considering the implication that she meant two weeks to craft every component yourself, after a few months when it's viable to buy more of the needed stuff off the TP it could be even less.

Right, I take two weeks to mean two weeks to craft it, time to obtain the mats is another thing entirely.

Retro

9mtU0.jpg

Arcteryx

I wouldn't really say they are "medium" term, as their stat value is the same as legendaries. The only thing legendaries have is looks/ability to hot-swap stat value.

For many players(as intended) they ARE legendaries, the top stat item, etc.

Just seems weird that they wouldn't be tradable.

Jira

I wouldn't really say they are "medium" term, as their stat value is the same as legendaries. The only thing legendaries have is looks/ability to hot-swap stat value.

They're not tradable like all other Ascended items cause they want the players to actually do stuff in game and earn them versus just shelling out cash for gold and buying it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

They are medium term, in terms of time to acquire, between exotics and legendaries. they fulfill this role in the same way that Ascended trinkets did upon release; those same items which required a medium time investment to acquire at first are now actually pretty trivial to acquire for many players (especially the ones who really care about best-in-slot and what have you).

They're meant to give you a longer-term goal to work at than exotics while not being so long-term a goal as legendaries.

edit: Per the blog, looks like a side-effect of all this is that there will now be recipes to craft weapons with all exotic stat combos?
First off, crafting is not the only way to get Ascended Weapons! Anywhere you can get an Ascended Material drop or an Ascended item drop there is also a rare chance that you will get an Ascended Weapon chest that allows you to choose which weapon type you want from within a stat combo.
Hurm. Wonder if account bound in those cases too.

New stat combos:
Explorer’s recipes will be replaced with the Assassin’s stat combo (Precision, Power, Critical Damage)
Traveler’s drops will be replaced with the Dire Stat Combo (Condition Damage, Toughness, Vitality)
Pillagers recipes will be replaced with the Hunter’s stat combo (Precision, Power)
All of those actually sound really interesting to me.
Each Obsidian Refined material is found in its raw form by playing many different types of content out in the world, such as: dungeons, champion kills, mega bosses, temple bosses, jumping puzzles, Guild missions, and WvW camps, towers, keeps, and castles!
I might hold off on even working toward my own Ascended weapon for a while and just make bank helping out the early adopters.

Arcteryx

They're not tradable like all other Ascended items cause they want the players to actually do stuff in game and earn them versus just shelling out cash for gold and buying it.

What's wrong with having the option though? If I spend my time making gold, why should I have to craft when I could buy it off the TP?

It just seems like a needless time sink is all.

They are medium term, in terms of time to acquire, between exotics and legendaries. they fulfill this role in the same way that Ascended trinkets did upon release; those same items which required a medium time investment to acquire at first are now actually pretty trivial to acquire for many players (especially the ones who really care about best-in-slot and what have you).

They're meant to give you a longer-term goal to work at than exotics while not being so long-term a goal as legendaries.

edit: Per the blog, looks like a side-effect of all this is that there will now be recipes to craft weapons with all exotic stat combos?

Yes, along with some new stat combos as well.

I dunno, it just seems like a silly idea to do it this way, especially with locked-in stats. With exotics, I can quickly go buy a different set if my playstyle changes; that's hardly the case here, especially with the time gate. Honestly, it looks like I'll either stick with exotics or craft legendaries only, as why would you spend 2 weeks on something that you could very well want to swap out of at some point. I know I don't NEED Ascended gear, maybe it's just a hold over from other MMOs, but I feel...compelled to get it(almost like I'm afraid of the inevitable gear check elitist bs). Honestly, I liked it much better when it was just exotics and legendaries.

Ashodin

FINALLY FOUND MY NEXT GREATSWORD

Picture is titled "Zojja's Claymore".

Also, let's play a game of "which of these things doesn't belong?"

Looks like Old Tom made it to the Fractals hub somehow. Guess there's going to be some changes in there.
Daaaaaammmmmnnnnnn

Arcteryx

They want people to continually play their game.

It doesn't allow people with gold to keep cornering new markets.

You could still corner the market of ascended crafting items. I'd still rather see crafters be able to get something good out of that investment to 500 level crafting(aside from being able to sell a few pieces required for ascended weapons).

Man I suck at crafting/the economy.

Should I be buying up now, or have mats already gone up too much?

Now is better than right before the patch, but it would have been best to buy up a few weeks back. It's definitely going to be quite crazy for the next month or so.

Mxrz

Okay. So. . .

Because we wanted all stat combos in the game to be represented in Ascended Weapons, we have added new Exotic Inscriptions to the salvage tables on all non-crafted Exotic weapons and to drops where applicable. We have also added Exotic weapon recipes to use these new Inscriptions so that they aren’t only used for Ascended weapons. That’s a whole lot more discoveries to find!

This sounds like it'll include Sentinel, so maybe its time to offload mine while the price is high.

* Blah. Prices for the weapon inscription already dropped to 10g. I should've sold before doing CoE.

hythloday

Pizza. you haven't seen the half of it. Each skin has a different color that corresponds to the stat weight.

"LFG CoF1, Red wepz only, link all other gear"

I'm looking forward to the Anniversary Bash stream tomorrow. Someday I would like to go to PAX and see this kind of thing for real. (Also a Worldcon so I can see George R.R. Martin and get his autograph, but that's for another thread).

Yeah when I get an ascended weapon I'll basically be picking the color and working the build around that.

It's a cool touch but I'm sure people will be unhappy with not getting the color variation they want with the stat variation they want. You know because... reasons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeah and I'd like to be able to dye any weapon any color like in gw1. At least they're making a variety, even if people are going to complain about the stats or whatever

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I didn't even think about that.... two ascended weapons + one transmutation crystal, lol... easy

edit: It's primary stat not stat distribution, so a few will belong to each color or... whatever the other way around

Cels

I read the new blog, but the blog didn't clarify anything about celestial items, and a lot of people are saying they will just lose stats without a replacement stat, based on what Martin Kerstein said in a thread about how celestial items will be the same minus MF. Really dumb if every other kind of MF item gets new stats and celestial items don't.

Levyne

Banned
It's minorly annoying, but I don't see the uproar. Did anyone who grabbed the celestial armor base their decision on the minor mf boost it gave? With that gone they want a mulligan to another stat set? I'm not arguing they shouldn't give a tiny boost to the remaining stats, but I don't see why it's necessary for them to do that.

Arcteryx

For anyone wanting blues/greens/ascended crafting stuff, make sure to save your Champion boxes until the patch Tuesday. Salvage the blues/greens for the MF account bonus and get some(at least one of the new types) of the ascended mats.

Some people have been posting the ingredients for the ascended greatsword and it honestly looks a LOT cheaper than I thought it would. Main requirement is obviously time, but gold wise it isn't that bad(assuming you don't TP the parts).

For anyone wanting blues/greens/ascended crafting stuff, make sure to save your Champion boxes until the patch Tuesday. Salvage the blues/greens for the MF account bonus and get some(at least one of the new types) of the ascended mats.

Some people have been posting the ingredients for the ascended greatsword and it honestly looks a LOT cheaper than I thought it would. Main requirement is obviously time, but gold wise it isn't that bad(assuming you don't TP the parts).

Wouldn't a large portion of the price be dependent on the difficulty of accruing the new mats? That's assuming they're not all bound, which I'm still unclear on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom