• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

Explorer’s recipes will be replaced with the Assassin’s stat combo (Precision, Power, Critical Damage)
Traveler’s drops will be replaced with the Dire Stat Combo (Condition Damage, Toughness, Vitality)
Pillagers recipes will be replaced with the Hunter’s stat combo (Precision, Power)

Dire stat combo is relevant to my interests, but why only two stats on Hunter's? Is one or both attributes higher than on a triple-stat prefix or something?

Proven

It's interesting. They're doing two things here that they're not spelling out.

1. I'm not sure how many of the new refined materials are tradeable, but if the right ones are (and especially if that Essence of Luck is) they just made crafting more valuable. GW2 became more of a raw material market rather than a crafting market in part because weapons and armor didn't have durability. There was no personal reason to keep acquiring new stuff, so you just sold it to a vendor or used the Mystic Forge. Now crafted materials will consistently be worth more than what goes in to make them.

2. The more things that are tradeable and valuable, the more gold goes through the Trading Post. The more gold that goes through the Trading Post, the more of a gold sink the Trading Post becomes. Along with the salvaging of blues and greens instead of vendoring them for extra silver, more money will be sucked out of the economy to help with any concerns of inflation.

Edit: That's all of the positive. The negative is more vertical progression.

Jira

It's interesting. They're doing two things here that they're not spelling out.

1. I'm not sure how many of the new refined materials are tradeable, but if the right ones are (and especially if that Essence of Luck is) they just made crafting more valuable. GW2 became more of a raw material market rather than a crafting market in part because weapons and armor didn't have durability. There was no personal reason to keep acquiring new stuff, so you just sold it to a vendor or used the Mystic Forge. Now crafted materials will consistently be worth more than what goes in to make them.

2. The more things that are tradeable and valuable, the more gold goes through the Trading Post. The more gold that goes through the Trading Post, the more of a gold sink the Trading Post becomes. Along with the salvaging of blues and greens instead of vendoring them for extra silver, more money will be sucked out of the economy to help with any concerns of inflation.

DING DING DING. People honestly thought ANet injected a lot of gold into the economy with no plans to take it out. This is all part of the plan in making gold sinks and parts of the world more rewarding to play in.

Arcteryx

Wouldn't a large portion of the price be dependent on the difficulty of accruing the new mats? That's assuming they're not all bound, which I'm still unclear on.

Somewhat. A lot is from JP, dungeons, etc, which doesn't impact the price at all(if anything it offsets it). Even with mat prices going up a bit, the list people are talking about on Reddit doesn't look that bad(again, assuming you gather them yourself and not straight TP buy).

Jira

"Sorry about the confusion folks! Curtis and I examined how everything is set up and the type of salvage kit does NOT affect the amount of Essence of Luck that you get. Please do enjoy your Copper-fed Salvage-O-Matic without any fears of it not giving you the standard amount of Essence of Luck that any salvage kit will produce!"
YEEEEESSSSSSSS

Complistic

You need to use that thing 345,000 times for it to pay for itself. even then I would probably get it if it had a journeyman level salvage rate, but if I'm salvaging, I don't want it to be 5%.

Retro

You need to use that thing 345,000 times for it to pay for itself. even then I would probably get it if it had a journeyman level salvage rate, but if I'm salvaging, I don't want it to be 5%.

The convenience of not having to keep buying Salvage Kits, running out when I need inventory space, and just not having to worry about kits in general is enough for me. I'll be playing this game for a loooooooong time; believe me, it'll pay for itself many times over.

Also, I have enough BL Kits to handle my rares and exotics until kingdom come. Blues and greens for simple Essences of Luck? Worth it.

th3dude

So if I'm reading this correctly, there will be no Ascended weapons on the trading post and one must create (or find) one themselves? I like.

The convenience of not having to keep buying Salvage Kits, running out when I need inventory space, and just not having to worry about kits in general is enough for me. I'll be playing this game for a loooooooong time; believe me, it'll pay for itself many times over.

Also, I have enough BL Kits to handle my rares and exotics until kingdom come. Blues and greens for simple Essences of Luck? Worth it.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those myself. Looks so damn convenient. Also want the unlimited use gathering tools, but hate that they are soulbound.

Wallach

The crafting news. It's awful. To keep my three characters at the same current power cap without losing any build variety (which is part of what this game is built on), assuming each piece takes 2 weeks, it will take 92 weeks. That's how long of a grind I have to rejoin the "plateau" unless I want to just give up maintaining multiple builds or characters. Hell that's assuming I play every day; even if I get lucky and find a weapon or two to shorten that by 2-4 weeks I am pretty sure I won't be able to play every day from now until 2015.

Hard to support this, in my opinion.

Lunar15

The colors I like are the stats I don't like :(

Edit: Yeah, I don't like this system, I'll probably skip it. Oh well, I'm sure another greatsword I like will come some other way.

Complistic

I hate crafting so this implementation of Ascended armour is atrocious for me. Another nail in the coffin for alts as well.

Crafting takes about 10 minutes and 10 gold (average I'd say. Cooking takes like 5 gold for instance) or so to completely max at the moment.

And crafting is a godsend for alts, what with all the levels you gain easily. Not really sure what you're thinking about here.

edit: and it's ascended weapons right now isn't it? Ascended armor isn't even going to be out for a while.

Jira

Think about when Ascended got put in initially. Months went by and many ways were added to obtain it. This will happen again.

Cels

It's minorly annoying, but I don't see the uproar. Did anyone who grabbed the celestial armor base their decision on the minor mf boost it gave? With that gone they want a mulligan to another stat set? I'm not arguing they shouldn't give a tiny boost to the remaining stats, but I don't see why it's necessary for them to do that.

No I didn't base it on just MF ofc but I expect to be given a choice of a new stat like every other MF gear in the game. Celestial is obviously overbudget but the reason this is okay is because of the points being spread out to many different stats so you aren't as effective in one area as the traditional three-stat distribution. They should give a choice of a stat to replace the lost MF or just distribute the lost MF budget across the remaining stats. It just feels like celestial is being singled out to lose overall item budget when every other kind of MF gear gets some sort of buff to balance out the nerf from losing MF and therefore will have the same item budget.

Proven

No I didn't base it on just MF ofc but I expect to be given a choice of a new stat like every other MF gear in the game. Celestial is obviously overbudget but the reason this is okay is because of the points being spread out to many different stats so you aren't as effective in one area as the traditional three-stat distribution. They should give a choice of a stat to replace the lost MF or just distribute the lost MF budget across the remaining stats. It just feels like celestial is being singled out to lose overall item budget when every other kind of MF gear gets some sort of buff to balance out the nerf from losing MF and therefore will have the same item budget.

You see it as a buff to the other sets. That's the problem. It's a replacement, not a buff, to the old sets. And even without Magic Find, Celestial is still over budget.

Cels

You see it as a buff to the other sets. That's the problem. It's a replacement, not a buff, to the old sets. And even without Magic Find, Celestial is still over budget.

It's not a buff to the other sets, it's just to maintain their overall item budget. Meanwhile celestial loses overall item budget. Nerfing one set while keeping other sets at their same overall quality is not okay to me.

Either way, the blog post said
Weapons, armor and trinkets with magic find will become account bound, lose their current stats and will gain the ability to be double-clicked to select one of several stat options depending on the item.
so I'll probably double click to just switch over to Berserker's or something if it bothers me that much.

Shiokazu

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT, THIS IS MY FIRST GW2 LAST LEVEL UP.

THE REAL SHIT IS ABOUT TO BEGIN.

BELIEVE~

oh and btw, thanks for delivering northern shiverpeak's butt in a silver plate.

I hate crafting so this implementation of Ascended armour is atrocious for me. Another nail in the coffin for alts as well.

They'll probably have alternative aquisition out there for that stuff. Better yet, you can still gather up mats and sell them for hyper-inflated prices since everyone else is desperately buying them up.

PS: Sell your T1-4 gems now (wood/metal if you don't care for the ascended stuff). Everyone and their dog is furiously buying up materials to level up their crafting.

Moondrop

Banned
I've reaffirmed my faith in my fighter cleric build. Y'all can stop holding your breath.

After watching a video Neko (I'm pretty sure) posted, I decided to spec for full regeneration. I dropped Warrior's Sprint for Dogged March to get the regen proc, as well as adding regen food. That's four sources of regen.

Proven

It's not a buff to the other sets, it's just to maintain their overall item budget. Meanwhile celestial loses overall item budget. Nerfing one set while keeping other sets at their same overall quality is not okay to me.

Either way, the blog post said

so I'll probably double click to just switch over to Berserker's or something if it bothers me that much.

You probably won't get the option of swapping Celestial to something else unless enough people kick up a shitstorm that ANet feels bad.

And you're still looking at the stat budget in the most negative mindset possible.

Wallach

This isn't necessarily true, as it assumes the spread of stats is not part of the itemization weighting. I'd figure rather it must be, as I doubt they chose the original values of the individual stats arbitrarily.

Whatever the case, I think they need to allow re-allocation of Celestial gear as it is still affected by the post-investment value change that all of the other MF pieces are. The blog post didn't seem to indicate that Celestial would be left out of this process, but I suppose we'll know for sure soon.

Ashodin

The crafting news. It's awful. To keep my three characters at the same current power cap without losing any build variety (which is part of what this game is built on), assuming each piece takes 2 weeks, it will take 92 weeks. That's how long of a grind I have to rejoin the "plateau" unless I want to just give up maintaining multiple builds or characters. Hell that's assuming I play every day; even if I get lucky and find a weapon or two to shorten that by 2-4 weeks I am pretty sure I won't be able to play every day from now until 2015.

Hard to support this, in my opinion.

Man up son. It's a negligible stat increase.

Sophia

Kinda annoying the Clockwork Chaos event can be hidden.

Even more annoying that people have given up doing the event in favor of farming champions.

Moondrop

Banned
Man up son. It's a negligible stat increase.

Much of the recent complaining in this thread is BS. For example: the story is bad; SAB isn't exciting; I deserve compensation on my celestial gear; I have to craft new weapons. Get over it; get over it; get over it; get over it.

However, ascended gear is not a negligible stat increase. You could argue the difference in one single piece vs. an exotic is negligible, but as a whole definitely not.

Proven

This isn't necessarily true, as it assumes the spread of stats is not part of the itemization weighting. I'd figure rather it must be, as I doubt they chose the original values of the individual stats arbitrarily.

Whatever the case, I think they need to allow re-allocation of Celestial gear as it is still affected by the post-investment value change that all of the other MF pieces are. The blog post didn't seem to indicate that Celestial would be left out of this process, but I suppose we'll know for sure soon.

I figure the values they chose were based off the already included and balanced Celestial stat combo in sPvP, just upped to accommodate the higher damage and defense stats that go around in PvE all the time.

Edit: Based off the wiki entry here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_nomenclature

The fifth table, the one that tries to compare Numeric vs. Percentage stat values, also lists the total attribute points of regular equipment. Now, remember that this is a rebalancing to make it as if magic find on equipment never existed.

For regular stat combos, the base stat gets 1003 points in the major, and 698 twice for the minor. That's 2399 points total. On the other hand, Celestial has 436 points six times, for six main attribute point stats. That's 2616 points. And then there's Critical Damage on top.

I just can't see the complaints as anything but whining for that reason. People did not go after Celestial for it's Magic Find.

Even more annoying that people have given up doing the event in favor of farming champions.
Very simple fixes Anet could do:
- Reduce event bar for Aethers so it gets done faster.
- Completely remove Aethers once event is done, so people can't avoid clockwork minions.
- Have the Aether Captain NOT SUMMON any Champ Aethers while you fight it.

Complistic

Very simple fixes Anet could do:
- Reduce event bar for Aethers so it gets done faster.
- Completely remove Aethers once event is done, so people can't avoid clockwork minions.
- Have the Aether Captain NOT SUMMON any Champ Aethers while you fight it.

The aetherblade invasion event is for sure a broken event. The longer you take to kill the captain, the more the players are rewarded (with more champ kills). It's just really silly they didn't think about this.

I wonder if ANET is ever going to be alt-friendly.

This comes off as drive by trolling if you don't explain yourself. GW2 seems like one of the most alt friendly MMO's I've ever played. I do most of my playing on my necro, but if I very often switch to my ranger or warrior if I"m getting bored and I want to switch it up in a dungeon.

For regular stat combos, the base stat gets 1003 points in the major, and 698 twice for the minor. That's 2399 points total. On the other hand, Celestial has 436 points six times, for six main attribute point stats. That's 2616 points. And then there's Critical Damage on top.

I just can't see the complaints as anything but whining for that reason. People did not go after Celestial for it's Magic Find.
Pretty much this. I have a full set of celestial armor on my ele. The whole point was to have a versatile set of armor that could cover multiple roles well since eles tend to make use of every stat no matter what weapons or traits are involved. The crit damage mixes especially well with persisting flames giving endless fury. Magic find did not have any impact on that, it was merely a small side benefit.

As for ascended weapons... eh. The crafting requirements don't really seem that onerous, to be honest.

troy1nplab.gif

Scum

Guys, quick help. Any idea where I can get my mitts on ConDmg|Pres|Tough gear? Kharma vendors, dungeons, crafting...?
Cheers.

Retro

I hope deaths in SAB don't count towards your /deaths score, as that would be pretty dastardly. Since it's technically an Activity, I'm hoping they don't... but it would be cool if the game tracked your deaths in Tribulation Mode just for the hell of it.

This will certainly make the green/gold (and in the future, red/purple) weapons much more rare. Shame, I was kind of thinking I'd like to get the purple set for my Mesmer someday, as she's the one using SAB skins... but World 4 Tribulation Mode is probably going to be a nightmare. Maybe I should go with my original plan and just have my Engineer use the SAB stuff... after all, his name IS Professor Retro... but I like my Aetherblade Skins too much.

Blarg, wish there was a better reason to carry around multiple weapons than just runes and stats... oh well, can't wait until Tuesday to start this insanity.

Retro

Guys, quick help. Any idea where I can get my mitts on ConDmg|Pres|Tough gear? Kharma vendors, dungeons, crafting...?
Cheers.

That's Rabid gear.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats

Rabid is sold by the various temple vendors, there's a chart at that link showing where each drops for each specific armor type.
The Order of Whispers stuff is Rabid gear when you buy it.
Dungeons are CM, TA and HotW.
Crafting can only get you trinkets.

Edit: Fuck, double post.

TM is going to seriously cut into my normal SAB money-making strat. I'm going to end up torn between making gold that I desperately need and beat the pants off of I Wanna Be the SAB Master...

Retro

So I wonder which will be better; going into TM alone and trying to solve it yourself, or going in with a group and basically working like Lemmings; first person dies, second person avoids that trap, second person dies, third person avoids that trap, and so on... Sort of just keep feeding your fellow guildies through the grinder until you all come out on the other end.

If they were really devious, they'd have traps that other people can accidentally spring on the person who's up front. I imagine there would be many laughs in Mumble if done as a group, which would probably help mitigate the rage. I think I'll do that.

I love that the "Sunny Glade" track is a remix of "Logan's Journey;" not only is it my favorite track in the game, but it just feels right.

New Interview with Mike O'Brien:
“We don’t need an expansion to pay the bills, and we’re not focused on an expansion right now. I won’t try and predict the future, maybe someday we will do one, maybe we won’t. But for now we are focused on the living world. We believe we can update the world and adapt the world in any way we want to through these bi-weekly updates.”

And from Reddit:
Here's some questions that were answered but not included in my interview article (that's right, don't forget to read the actual interview linked above):

Where are Tengus?
ArenaNet are not working on any additional races at this time.

Where is the Scavenger Hunt, LFG Tool and additional Guild features?
We'll be working to improve and introduce new features with each and every living story content update.

Are you working on any additional skills?
Yes, they are now being actively worked on. But they are a long way off (up to a year).

Where is GvG and when can we have it?
GvG is something we realise the community wants. Right now there's no real way to persistently keep track of a team in PvP and assert their dominance. We'd rather spend a good deal amount of time making it awesome than just push it out because the community wants it asap.

Can we have more permanent content?
Most of our living world/story content updates will feature permanent content.

Will there be more holiday events and will they be the same?
Yes there will be some more holiday events (Halloween and Wintersday). Some things will be the same, some will be different. But we don't want to spoil it for you [laughs].

Is there any plans to do anything with the players personal story, right now it's kind of been left alone?
We like to think that there's only one story, the living world. It's true that right now there are two stories, and we're working to adapt that in the future updates.

Not sure what to make of the "New skills are a year away" comment, when part of Colin's blog post mentioned there'd be new skills and traits by the end of the year.

Levyne

Banned
That's...a lot of non-answers or indications that a lot of things people want to see will not be ready at any time soon.

hythloday

Yeah, very short article. I agree with the redditor who said it was mostly a fluff piece.

Just a few more hours to the Anniversary Bash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom