• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Looks great. Brilliant idea to tie the ascended stuff to him, since that is the offset to crafting that I was looking for. Much like how laurels were the offset to fractals. Good call there.

On a minor note, feels weird to start with Tequatl, since most of us have already defeated Zhaitan. Would have been neat to start with Shatterer.

Final note: I like that they used the jumping pads from the Bazaar. That and the tidal waves are neat mechanics that I'm glad to see them continue to use.

Different kinds of difficulty. This requires coordination and tactics, SAB TM is a completely different kind of sadistic, trial-and-error style difficulty... and that's optional to boot.
I should have said challenge not difficulty.

New TACO and LFG on the 17th of Sept?

Retro

Looks great. Brilliant idea to tie the ascended stuff to him, since that is the offset to crafting that I was looking for. Much like how laurels were the offset to fractals. Good call there.

On a minor note, feels weird to start with Tequatl, since most of us have already defeated Zhaitan. Would have been neat to start with Shatterer.

Yeah, they're not going to restrict Ascended Gear to crafting forever. They've said that crafting is a part of the game that people don't really focus on, because of the way it's built the economy doesn't reward crafters. Let's all be honest here; it's turned into a way to quickly gain 10 levels without much effort, and that kind of sucks. So to give crafting a boost, they're 'throwing it a bone' basically by giving it the first access to Ascended gear. As with laurels, guild commendations, etc., there will inevitably be more ways to get them.

Also, I would bet they're starting with Taco because he's the lowest level of the big dragon events.

New TACO and LFG on the 17th of Sept?

Correct, sir.

One of the players is apparently named Logan Thackerey and he commented on how everyone has to hurry up because Jennah is waiting...

Well all know he'd just leave everyone to die.

Asd202

I personally loved Liadri and would welcome harder content like this new Teq but Imo this revamp won't go well with the community, there used to quick and easy content. I already saw a lot of crying about Liadri this seems to be even more frustrating as it will require a lot of coordination between people. It also seems to be that Anet answer to raids that they talked about.

Mxrz

The twitch stream is annoying. Can't really ask anything in chat because some assdick kids thinking spamming "GvG" means something. I hope they never add it just to spite these assholes now.

Wallach

I personally loved Liadri and would welcome harder content like this new Teq but Imo this revamp won't go well with the community, there used to quick and easy content. I already saw a lot of crying about Liadri this seems to be even more frustrating as it will require a lot of coordination between people. It also seems to be that Anet answer to raids that they talked about.

Yeah, I think this looks pretty cool, hopefully it won't get totally nerfed due to how many players get beat up at first.

Retro

The twitch stream is annoying. Can't really ask anything in chat because some assdick kids thinking spamming "GvG" means something. I hope they never add it just to spite these assholes now.

Oh god, never ever ever watch twitch streams, they're flooded with assholes. Turn it off immediately. Arken mentioned earlier that they were trolling GW2 fans for being "entitled" because they want everything to be F2P instead of having to pay for it...
1sm067roll8turv.gif

Final note: I like that they used the jumping pads from the Bazaar. That and the tidal waves are neat mechanics that I'm glad to see them continue to use.

Maybe Tequatl is trying to take control of all the Zhaitan's forces that are left now that Zhaitan is dead. Supposedly the change is tied to the living story so I am very interested to find out more.

Anno

It pains me watching this person run around with 2 utterly useless (in this fight, at least) utilities. And the heal kinda, too.

Retro

One of the players is apparently named Logan Thackerey and he commented on how everyone has to hurry up because Jennah is waiting...

All of the characters seem to be named after in-game Lore characters; there was somebody named Mai Trinn complaining that she missed her airship in map chat.

Maybe Tequatl is trying to take control of all the Zhaitan's forces that are left now that Zhaitan is dead. Supposedly the change is tied to the living story so I am very interested to find out more.

I don't think Zhaitan is dead. We never saw his body and I would think it takes more than a shitload of firecrackers to kill a force of nature. He's probably sleeping it off in some corner of Arah.

Edit: How amazing is it that we're watching this stream of a big future content update and it's literally only 2 weeks and two days away. Normally you see this sort of shit at like E3 or Blizzcon or whatever and it's like "Yep, you'll see it in 7 months!" but we're getting it in 17 days.

Asd202

Edit: How amazing is it that we're watching this stream of a big future content update and it's literally only 2 weeks and two days away. Normally you see this sort of shit at like E3 or Blizzcon or whatever and it's like "Yep, you'll see it in 7 months!" but we're getting it in 17 days.

Please those living storys has nothing on how much content is added in WoW patches, especially if you value something like hard mode raids like I did.

Mxrz

I think Teq won.

It pains me watching this person run around with 2 utterly useless (in this fight, at least) utilities. And the heal kinda, too.

Me too. Unless there's some big skill changes coming too.

Please does living story has nothing on how much content is added in WoW patches especially if you value something like hard mode raids like I did.

WoW's content patches were months apart if I recall. That'd be like everything in GW2 between Dragonbash and the return of SAB.

Retro

Please does living story has nothing on how much content is added in WoW patches especially if you value something like hard mode raids like I did.

If I'm reading your post right (sorry, the wording is off; not making fun of you, just pointing out that maybe I'm not getting your exact message), that's not the point. It has nothing to do with the size of the updates, but the speed at which they are delivered; the content we're seeing is less than a month away, whereas at most shows you see stuff that is a long ways off. I can't remember the last time Blizzard or any other MMO developer previewed something and said "Oh yeah, that'll be in the game in a couple weeks too."

Besides, I'd be willing to bed that, dollars to donuts, when you look at one full year of Living Story updates and compare it to one year of WoW updates, GW2 comes out ahead.

Asd202

Living Story patches are every 2 weeks. WoW patches take months.

The reason is simple. It's a different design philosophy while GW2 makes less content but faster, WoW makes more content but in longer period of time. I'm just saying that there no reason to be amazed by this really.

Besides, I'd be willing to bed that, dollars to donuts, when you look at one full year of Living Story updates and compare it to one year of WoW updates, GW2 comes out ahead.

I disagree. If you look it at progression perspective to do everything in GW2 living story patch takes no longer then 1-2 days of playtime mostly (I'm talking mostly about achievements becasue that's what GW2 progression is really ), while WoW patches to do absolutely everything it will take months unless you raid in mega hardcore that have a crazy schedule. But it's like comparing apples to oranges really. There different types of MMOs so I could see your point it's all about what you enjoy. Nevertheless ( :p ) I still stand by my opinion that WoW patch "lasts" longer then multiple GW2 living story, but hey that's just me.

Lunar15

The reason is simple. It's a different design philosophy while GW2 makes less content but faster, WoW makes more content but in longer period of time. I'm just saying that there no reason to be amazed by this really.

You're not wrong, but I think the comment was more that we're seeing and hearing about it only two weeks before we get to play it.

Retro

As I already said, it's that they're showing content almost immediately before it launches, whereas most of the time you get a peak at stuff and it's months down the road. The size of the content has nothing to do with my comment.

But if you want to get into specifics...

Living Story patches are every 2 weeks. WoW patches take months.

Closer to half a year. If you count Ruby Sanctum as a 'content patch' (personally, a single room with a handful of dragons doesn't do it for me), there's still a 6 month gap between the previous patch (3.3.0 on 12-08-2009) and the next (Cataclysm on 12-07-2010). If raiding wasn't your thing (and for a lot of WoW players, it wasn't) then you basically went an entire year with nothing new to do.

So it's not always 'more content' either. Sometimes it's a room with a couple raid bosses in it and then another half year of nothing.

Yeah I know that but it's nothing to be amazed by if you look at their design philosophy.

The design philosophy itself is the reason for the excitement; nobody in gaming is putting content out like this. Nobody playing any other MMO is saying "They're putting out content too fast."

Remfin

I could write a thousand words here, but I really hope this is guild-driven and triggered and not the random timer stuff we have right now. If it is random timered/locked down waypoints/etc. then it will just be stupid and frustrating one way or the other, especially if multiple events exist like this.

Retro

I could write a thousand words here, but I really hope this is guild-driven and triggered and not the random timer stuff we have right now. If it is random timered/locked down waypoints/etc. then it will just be stupid and frustrating one way or the other, especially if multiple events exist like this.

I believe they said that there's an event that persists if you fail, and he won't reappear until that event is complete... but I'm listening to the stream and mumble at the same time so I'm not 100% sure.

Ideally, the new Tequatl (and subsequent world events) wouldn't appear on a timer at all, but would simply be added into a large rotation of World Events that can happen anywhere at any time, like what's going on with Scarlet's Invasions but without the top-of-the-hour frequency. So you'll just be out in the world playing as normal and then the call goes out world-wide to get your ass to Sparkfly Fen for some extra-spicy tacos.

Cross-posting from the GAFguild site: anyone up for Arah Story dungeon after guild fever today? My necromancer needs it. The little guy has come a long way from being initially created mainly to make a legendary gift.

Most of the large meta-events already have pre-events that require completion, you mean like those?

Mxrz

Snagged the digital deluxe while it was on sale. Mostly because I'm tired of seeing that damn mistfire skill not unlocked. Only needed a few gems, but yikes 5.2g per 100. Wish I'd loaded up when they were 3 something.

Not sure if I want to give the Primeval armor to my Norn warrior (over her zerk/CoF) or put it on the charr guardian. Guardian needs a look, but I always wanted to turn her into Sir Charr, White Knight of Knightington rather than spikey-evil. On a weird note - Primeval was the only GW warrior armor I never bought. That I can remember anyway.

Our borderland sucked this afternoon. We eventually gave up and went to Darkhaven where Borlis out numbered everybody, but we still took a crap ton of camps and towers for only having 3 people.

nataku

I believe they said that there's an event that persists if you fail, and he won't reappear until that event is complete... but I'm listening to the stream and mumble at the same time so I'm not 100% sure..

If you fail fish heads spawn in the area that will (instantly?) kill you if you get near. Those persist until Taco comes back and is successfully defeated. I don't think there's an event related to getting rid of them other than that.

Retro

If you fail fish heads spawn in the area that will (instantly?) kill you if you get near. Those persist until Taco comes back and is successfully defeated. I don't think there's an event related to getting rid of them other than that.

That's probably what I heard. I believe that comment was made right when they were discussing the rewards, so we were all yapping on about that. Thanks.

Remfin

Cross-posting from the GAFguild site: anyone up for Arah Story dungeon after guild fever today? My necromancer needs it. The little guy has come a long way from being initially created mainly to make a legendary gift.

Most of the large meta-events already have pre-events that require completion, you mean like those?
Like the Ogre in Reactor but influence-based and returns to your guild when you succeed.

Lunar15

Bloodlust in the Borderlands WvW update september 17th.

Also, October 4th is the beginning of WvW "Season 1", basically, a big tournament for all the servers. Season will last till November 21st.

Katoki

I wonder if Steelballs Isle will come together for one bright burst of radiance like the old days.

We have a lot of new and inexperienced people. There are no "old days" when you have "new people." It's just what the people now can pull off with the guilds that're starting to transfer over here from higher tiers. Don't mean to sound so "as a matter of factly," but a lot of people who made it what it used to be may have stopped playing or transferred off since then.

leng jai

Nothing in the game requires exotics over rares, yet exotics are still easy to acquire. One of the entire purposes of this game was that joining the power plateau was not a grind like other games. This isn't going to be true anymore. And because - like you just pointed out - none of the content is balanced around this gear, there's actually no reason for us to be handed that grind. It's literally just because they want some shit for you to grind for months. That's the gap they have between legendaries and exotics that they needed to fill, the amount of grind it took.

This is exactly it. There's very little point to Ascended gear in PvE because everything is easy as shit with exotics anyway. All it will do is affect WvW balance which is not beneficial at all. It looks pretty obvious that the only reason for its existence is to create a gear treadmill - a slow pointless one that is enough to entice that crowd and annoy everyone else.

If someone can tell me what the actual point of adding the Ascended tier is I'd like to hear it.

This is exactly it. There's very little point to Ascended gear in PvE because everything is easy as shit with exotics anyway. All it will do is affect WvW balance which is not beneficial at all. It looks pretty obvious that the only reason for its existence is to create a gear treadmill - a slow pointless one that is enough to entice that crowd and annoy everyone else.

If someone can tell me what the actual point of adding the Ascended tier is I'd like to hear it.

Obviously maroonish/purplish letters > Orange

Retro

Heh, the highlight of the Q&A so far: A suggestion about (probably erotic) role-playing phrased as a question.... nevermind, as I type this, some guy just got up and gave a cringe worthy high school drama club performance.

Lunar15

Heh, the highlight of the Q&A so far: A suggestion about (probably erotic) role-playing phrased as a question.... nevermind, as I type this, some guy just got up and gave a cringe worthy high school drama club performance.

I muted it as it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom