• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

No one seems to have noticed that despite Zhaitan being "dead", his Champion seems to be getting stronger. If this were a Living Story, wouldn't he be getting weaker?

Suspicious...

I'm going in with the expectation that they're just not going to explain it.

Shiokazu

man, i started to go around some bullshit about kiel, since she was a aetherblade once, but... its unlikely anything happening now right?

Retro

Kiel was never an aetherblade, at least as far as we know.

Based on the short story they posted during the Cutthroat Politics update, she was orphaned early in a shipwreck, from which she was rescued by Magus the Bloodhanded. I would imagine she grew up in Lion's Arch under his supervision and joined the Lionguard from there.

bad interpretation of mine then, was going around the wiki, it said she was captain of a former aetherblade airship.

:v i thought she was captain of a aetherblade crew.

Not exactly; during the events of the "Sky Pirates" update, we captured one of the Aetherblade airships after the last fight. Magus bought it and signed it over to her so she could run for the Captain's Council (one of the requirements being that you need to captain a ship). I dunno if she's ever actually set foot on it, to be honest.

Lunar15

bad interpretation of mine then, was going around the wiki, it said she was captain of a former aetherblade airship.

:v i thought she was captain of a aetherblade crew.

I think the misunderstanding comes from the fact that she took Mai Trin's aetherblade ship in order to become a captain and enter the running for the empty captain council's spot.

So, theoretically, she's currently the captain of an aetherblade ship, but she's not an aetherblade.

Retro

So, theoretically, she's currently the captain of an aetherblade ship, but she's not an aetherblade.

Technically, the Aetherblades stole their airships from the Pact, so it'd be one of theirs.... though the Aethers certainly made some distinctive modifications.

Lunar15

Technically, the Aetherblades stole their airships from the Pact, so it'd be one of theirs.... though the Aethers certainly made some distinctive modifications.

By the looks of them, I'd say the inquest did more of the modifying. Weird that we don't really see much of the inquest tied to them now. The connection has been dubious other than in the actual hideout.

If anything, it's important to note that Scarlet had ties to the Inquest, which might have played a part in connecting the atherblades with the inquest.... but I think that's a bit to logical to see mentioned in the game anytime soon.

By the looks of them, I'd say the inquest did more of the modifying. Weird that we don't really see much of the inquest tied to them now. The connection has been dubious other than in the actual hideout.

If anything, it's important to note that Scarlet had ties to the Inquest, which might have played a part in connecting the atherblades with the inquest.... but I think that's a bit to logical to see mentioned in the game anytime soon.

I don't peruse wiki's and I haven't done the funhouse so correct me if I'm wrong here but...

I don't think there IS any strong ties to the Inquest. Scarlets back story bascially outlined her as a lone force. She studied with the Inquest about as much as she studied with the other Colleges. Once she gained her so-called knowledge of the Eternal Alchemy she set off on her own where presumably she crossed paths with and either gathered or took control of what is now known as the Aetherblades.

She doesn't seem to have taken sides with any factions that were known pre-living story and instead appears to be the head of her own specific faction.

Lunar15

I don't peruse wiki's and I haven't done the funhouse so correct me if I'm wrong here but...

I don't think there IS any strong ties to the Inquest. Scarlets back story bascially outlined her as a lone force. She studied with the Inquest about as much as she studied with the other Colleges. Once she gained her so-called knowledge of the Eternal Alchemy she set off on her own where presumably she crossed paths with and either gathered or took control of what is now known as the Aetherblades.

She doesn't seem to have taken sides with any factions that were known pre-living story and instead appears to be the head of her own specific faction.

I wouldn't say that she's 'sided' with them, but it's possible that she could have pointed the aetherblades in the right direction, given that she knows the inquest and probably has connections inside.

Always being told to go outside instead of playing video games.

I took the first part of that advice.

QOitgIF.jpg
Yqdib9R.jpg

SirKhalid

The season long reward will require you to complete the WvW season meta achievement. Which behaves much like the Living World achievements. The server for which you receive rewards will be the 1st server you log in on once the season starts. Any transfers after that will not change your rewards.

As to the total number of points, it will be hundreds, nothing like the achievements currently in place.

The achievements and achievement points will be exactly the same across the leagues and there will be few, if any, rewards that are different across the leagues. The dolyak stomp is the clearest example. The winners of each league will get a finisher specific to that league. From Gold to Bronze. The rest of the rewards will be more about how you performed in your league, than which league you were in.

Kinda hype!

Reading the forum, seems like they are looking to separate NA servers into 2 leagues only...

I wouldn't say that she's 'sided' with them, but it's possible that she could have pointed the aetherblades in the right direction, given that she knows the inquest and probably has connections inside.

But the Aetherblades are doing her bidding. I think they were her primary force before the Watchknights. So I think all the Inquest looking stuff that the Aetherblades have are of her design. She's taken her knowledge from all the colleges and improved upon many of their inventions and gadgets.

I just don't think she's the type to connect two factions like that because I don't see her respecting anyone enough to do such a thing. And the Inquest are evil but after what she did to her last mentor/teacher before she disappeared.. I doubt any of them would really want to work with her.

Katoki

DR guilds doing their thing? Or their presence motivating the regulars?

Or maybe it's still just Sunday.

Was running a 15-man-ish havoc with BAEST around 5-6 AM EST if my conversion is right. We were running around in Borlis Pass BL because SBI was all blue and covered and Aleman had most of Darkhaven's stuff taken in EB. It felt like BAEST was doing their own thing with pugs in tow but every time we ran into an opposing group it was an automatic stack and blast finishers to 25 might. It was also the only time I felt safe jumping in face first as a hammer warrior.

At the time of my leaving, we had the two southern towers and the associated south camps and were working on taking their bay. Gotta take a quick peek at how it looks right now.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah. I ran with them a little in the BL when Aleman's start went a little sour (glad it turned around). I love the way Alkmest commands.

Lunar15

But the Aetherblades are doing her bidding. I think they were her primary force before the Watchknights. So I think all the Inquest looking stuff that the Aetherblades have are of her design. She's taken her knowledge from all the colleges and improved upon many of their inventions and gadgets.

I just don't think she's the type to connect two factions like that because I don't see her respecting anyone enough to do such a thing. And the Inquest are evil but after what she did to her last mentor/teacher before she disappeared.. I doubt any of them would really want to work with her.

Well, if the re-appearance of the molten alliance is any indication, she was the one that put those two together. So it wouldn't be out of bounds if she "introduced" the inquest to the aetherblades.

Jira

Collection of info from Devon Carver on the new WvW seasons:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Lock-server-transfers-ASAP/first#post2743478

Your reward will be based on the server you log into the first time once the season starts. You can transfer as much as you like, but you will still get the reward from that first server.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Method-to-decide-the-Leagues/first#post2746708

I’ve consistently said we are doing 2 leagues in NA and 3 in EU. The leagues will be broken up strictly by world rating at the conclusion of the matchup prior to the league start.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...on-for-league-and-transfers/first#post2746732

The season long reward will require you to complete the WvW season meta achievement. Which behaves much like the Living World achievements. The server for which you receive rewards will be the 1st server you log in on once the season starts. Any transfers after that will not change your rewards.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Lock-server-transfers-ASAP/first#post2746742

There will be considerably more rewards than that. But good sarcasm!

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...on-for-league-and-transfers/first#post2746809

I didn’t say PvE components, I said that they will function like the Living World achievements. They will be WvW specific and much like the achievements you see already, except actually reachable in 7 weeks. As to the total number of points, it will be hundreds, nothing like the achievements currently in place.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...on-for-league-and-transfers/first#post2746873

The achievements and achievement points will be exactly the same across the leagues and there will be few, if any, rewards that are different across the leagues. The dolyak stomp is the clearest example. The winners of each league will get a finisher specific to that league. From Gold to Bronze. The rest of the rewards will be more about how you performed in your league, than which league you were in.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...on-for-league-and-transfers/first#post2746930

I can’t comment at this time as we haven’t finalized anything. In addition, you should look at it this way, if people flee lower league servers to get into the top leagues, it opens the opportunity for people to move to those lower leagues and finish 1st or 2nd, rather than being in the top league and finishing 6th or 7th. The rewards for finishing 2nd in the Bronze League will be markedly better than the rewards for finishing 6th in the Gold league.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Method-to-decide-the-Leagues/first#post2746934

We literally can’t do three equal leagues in NA as there are 24 servers. That would leave us with 2 servers per league with no match up every single week.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...on-for-league-and-transfers/first#post2747282

At no point did I, or would I have, said “Fair competition” WvW is not intended to be “fair”. There are servers with more people, there are servers with better organizations and that will always be the case. This competition will be about showing how your world can do over a defined period of time, against a variety of opponents. SPvP is the part of our game that aims for a completely level playing field. WvW would never be able to match that goal.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Method-to-decide-the-Leagues/first#post2747304

I never said they did. However, I’d argue that they do in fact stand a chance against the 6th ranked server and the 5th ranked server. We are not trying to only ever match you up against your closest comparable server. That was what was happening with the system before and it was bad. If you are saying you don’t ever even want the chance to try and show your skill against a higher ranked server, then I don’t know what to say. We will continue to look into ways to change scoring to try and even out some of the population based imbalances, but that is not an easy task and it won’t happen during the season.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Retraiting-your-WvW-ability-Points/first#post2747322

I’ll scoop the blog post. World Ability Points will be refunded to everyone at the start of the season.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Method-to-decide-the-Leagues/first#post2747387

So, as I’ve said before, we are still looking into ways to try and alleviate those problems, but that is also what WvW is like right now, so while this season will create new rewards and new incentives to play, it isn’t as though this is a brand new problem. We want to make it so that skill is more important than sheer numbers and we have some ideas. None of them are so easy/safe to implement that they are going to happen in the near-term.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Server-Merge-2/first#post2747410

You mention in this post why nothing is changing here. We can’t merge servers based on what percentage of players on a server play WvW. We make determinations about servers based on their overall population. Your best bet is to use the influx of rewards from the season to convince people on your server to start paying attention to WvW. Or convince people to transfer to your server to boost your WvW ranks.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Once-In-a-Lifetime-Finisher-or-Not/first#post2747630

Winners will have access to the finisher until there are new winners. At that point those people will gain access and the winners from the previous season will no longer have access to the stomp. Think of it like this, the finisher is intended to show off who won the last season. If you don’t continue to win each and every season, you will not retain the bragging rights.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Please-let-there-be-most-improved/first#post2747836

Good suggestion, I will see what I can do.

So what's important to take from this is there are rewards tied into this beyond a finisher that they'll talk about in a blog closer to the Season 1 start. That even if you're in a low tier WvW server, getting 1st in your Bronze league will yield better rewards for you over the server who got 6th in Gold because they gave up. Also, the finisher that is handed out won't be available if you don't defend your rankings each season.

Retro

so, what happened today at 3pm?

We asked in Guild Chat how many people needed to do makeup missions, nobody answered. It being a holiday weekend in the US, there's a lot of folks off doing stuff.

Or was there something else that was supposed to happen?

Levyne

Banned
Just so it's clear, there is absolutely no log in requirement for GAF. The "culling" is just a result of us bumping against the cap and needing space. If we could have 2000 members we'd allow anyone to be as inactive as they want or their lifestyle/entertainment choices demands.

Tried some new jumpin puzzles tonight thanks to Hawkian. Also DH helped with a few more after Hawk left. Don't care for JP bc I suck at them but trying to do them more.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Some things, just out in the world, are too tough to solo. I know the GAF guild is awesome but it's hard for me to get into it without any close friends to enjoy it with. They're all console gamers.

Shiokazu

We asked in Guild Chat how many people needed to do makeup missions, nobody answered. It being a holiday weekend in the US, there's a lot of folks off doing stuff.

Or was there something else that was supposed to happen?

im just getting familiar with the things, until friday i was just another like another tyrian going around doing his things, im getting started with the game like... now.

i also want to know wtf are the fractals, i read something ingame that there you can re live moments in the history of tyria but then...

Complistic

im just getting familiar with the things, until friday i was just another like another tyrian going around doing his things, im getting started with the game like... now.

i also want to know wtf are the fractals, i read something ingame that there you can re live moments in the history of tyria but then...

They are a series of randomly selected mini dungeons that increase in difficulty and rewards the more you complete them.

xeris

Short answer is fractals are dungeons composed of 3 random sections every time you start one. They have a difficulty level you set when you go in that can be no higher than the highest "fractal level" someone has in your party. Under 80's are boosted to 80.

The re-live history thing is that some of the random fractals tie in to historical events. For example, you can
play as a group of Charr during the Searing from GW1
. Also, if you go in at "fractal level 10" or higher there's a new type of damage called agony. Ascended gear can provide resistance to it, but as of now it only exists in fractals so you don't really need it if you never go in.

Fewr

Just so it's clear, there is absolutely no log in requirement for GAF. The "culling" is just a result of us bumping against the cap and needing space. If we could have 2000 members we'd allow anyone to be as inactive as they want or their lifestyle/entertainment choices demands.
Thanks, I have no problem at all with the culling.

Mxrz

The Charr fractal takes place during the searing. Dunno about the others.

The invasion farmers on SBI sure are pissy. Had some freak out tonight because we had some people trying to get crystals away from their hoard. Invasions have become pretty awful in general it seems like. Hopefully ANet took notice of all the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom