• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

Extra fun fact: the population of WvW who plays any given week regularly is larger than the entire population of all of Gw1 the game any given week for a large chunk of the games lifespan.

Crazy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:D

It's an ANet-made trailer, but don't watch if you want literally nothing spoiled about the new levels. I'm stuck at work for hours unlike you folks getting patched any minute.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Isolating obscure but big ticket items from the patch for your reading pleasure:

-Minor bombshell in that it appears the Karka Queen's new rewards were in this one, not the next.

Looks like we may need to pay the old broad another visit.

Drips of Liquid Karma from champion loot bags have been replaced with Piles of Bloodstone Dust.
Open world bosses, temple bosses, WvW keeps, and castles now drop Dragonite Ore in addition to their regular loot, which can only be earned once per day per location.
Dungeons, minidungeons, jumping puzzles, WvW camps, and towers now drop Empyreal Fragments in addition to their regular loot, which can only be earned once per day per location.
Liquid Karma dropped from dungeon end chests have been replaced with Empyreal Fragments.
Ascended weapons can now drop anywhere ascended materials or other ascended items can be found.
I am all the fuck over this. Once per day per location is a straight up brilliant move to inject life into some of my favorite content in the game. I will be leading an impromptu tour of some mini-dungeons/JPs tonight. Also, a number of questions are raised about certain events that blur the line a little bit between "open world boss" and "mini-Dungeon." Flame Temple Tombs and Zho'Qafa Catacombs are on our list.

Event failure no longer rewards karma in order to encourage players to succeed at events.
On the one hand, harsh- on the other I wish there were even more of a difference between success and failure. Combine this with new interesting karma sinks for best impact.

Several Clockwork creature invasion locations have been adjusted so creatures do not spawn in the terrain
Neat. Hated that.

Prices on Gem Shop stuff:
SAB Minis - 500 Gems
Infinite Continue Coin - 600 gems.
Super Explosive Finisher - 600 gems.
Transmutation Splitter - 300 gems each, 5 for 1350 gems, or 25 for 6000 gems.
25 for 6000 Gems, eh? No problem :p

Infinite Light, Immobulus, The Crossing, The Mad Moon, Arachnophobia, Cooguloosh, and Seasatchel will all allow their stats to be permanently chosen as a one-time ability but not become account bound.
Never heard of those last two.

Legendaries that have been updated visually include: The Bifrost, Kudzu, Meteorlogicus, Frostfang, The Juggernaut, Bolt, Incinerator, Rodgort, Quip, The Moot, The Minstrel, Eternity, The Dreamer, Frenzy, Howler, and Kraitkin.

Retro

Ranger spirits got nerfed.

• All spirits can now be launched, knocked down, and knocked back.
  • Storm Spirit, Frost Spirit, Sun Spirit, Stone Spirit, and Spirit of Nature will now begin their recharge when the spirit dies instead of when the spirit is summoned.
  • Storm Spirit, Frost Spirit, Sun Spirit, and Stone Spirit: Recharge has been reduced from 60 seconds to 25 seconds.
  • Spirit of Nature: Recharge has been reduced from 240 seconds to 180 seconds.

And finally, for those who don’t enjoy jumping challenges, there’s Infantile Mode, which allows players to easily traverse Moto’s world by walking over beautiful rainbow bridges.

I don't like jumping challenges but, I'm gonna have a hard time allowing myself to play a mode called Infantile Mode.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
He said WvW not sPvP.

I don’t think PvP is done by any means. We’ve had some great successes this year, the total PvP population has gone up tremendously as the year has progressed and is much larger than Gw1’s PvP ever was at it’s height, which is nice to see since the game hasn’t launched in half the world yet. Spectator mode and custom arenas have opened the door for some really exciting growth and moments in 2013 in particular. We still have a long ways to go to get to where we’re going, but considering where we stood when we launched with almost no features in PvP I think we’ve come a long ways. We are of course always continuing to watch and listen to feedback, things like the addition of solo queue are direct results of that.
Given the context of the rest of that paragraph I don't know how you can draw that conclusion, at least with any degree of certainty.

Arcteryx

Ranger spirits got nerfed.

• All spirits can now be launched, knocked down, and knocked back.
  • Storm Spirit, Frost Spirit, Sun Spirit, Stone Spirit, and Spirit of Nature will now begin their recharge when the spirit dies instead of when the spirit is summoned.
  • Storm Spirit, Frost Spirit, Sun Spirit, and Stone Spirit: Recharge has been reduced from 60 seconds to 25 seconds.
  • Spirit of Nature: Recharge has been reduced from 240 seconds to 180 seconds.

Not bad honestly; 25s recharge is pretty godlike and the reduction in res bro recharge is even better. Not much of a nerf IMO

Also: lol double monthly GG ANet

Retro

Not bad honestly; 25s recharge is pretty godlike and the reduction in res bro recharge is even better. Not much of a nerf IMO

Nope, and as Hawkian said, it feels necessary. This change was coming, having the timer start at spawn instead of death was just too easy to cheese.

Mxrz

Scarlet has a crush on me, guys.

Lot of dust. My Jewel of Ahdashim gamble paid off. Weeee. Also all the explorer armor I crafted, too.

Arcteryx

The luck seems to drop pretty well from greens and the dust that comes from the champ boxes is...silly. I think I've got like 2 stacks of the dust already and I'm not even 1/4 way through my boxes.

jf1k1OX.jpg

OH SHIT

Apparently Ascended weapon boxes can drop from Champ boxes...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Also: lol double monthly GG ANet
The nerf is part 1 and 2, parts 3 and 4 are the concession. A very balanced change from the perspective of a non-ranger player overwhelmed by spirits in PvP more than once :p Would be interested to hear what anyone who uses them thinks.

I hadn't gotten my monthly but I did get a double monthly in January or February. Enjoy it those of you who can manage it! :3
OH SHIT

Ascended weapons can now drop anywhere ascended materials or other ascended items can be found.
Shrewd observers may well wonder about Fractals.

Arcteryx

The nerf is part 1 and 2, parts 3 and 4 are the concession. A very balanced change from the perspective of a non-ranger player overwhelmed by spirits in PvP more than once :p Would be interested to hear what anyone who uses them thinks.

Shrewd observers may well wonder about Fractals.

If it's ANY Ascended mat(like globs), then that could also mean just regular mobs(not necessarily just the end daily chest @ Maw).

Damn. I might actually go back and play Fractals again if so.

@ Spirits: I ran them for about a month while they were FOTM and I think these changes are MORE than fair. The recharge issue needed to be fixed to be in line with every other pet AI in the game and the fact that they reduced the recharges...well that wasn't necessary, but I'll definitely take it.

Saprol

Super Adventure Box is back? Oooh. I didn't really care for last month's events especially with a bunch of recent game releases.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Super Adventure Box is back? Oooh. I didn't really care for last month's events especially with a bunch of recent game releases.
Now with new secrets throughout, a full World 2, and what I like to call "Josh Foreman Secretly Kind of Hates You Mode."

So the Monthly bug wasn't as victimless as the preceding one (the PvE/PvP laurel split). It seems if you finished your monthly already you can get a bonus one as expected (no skin irritated for me there) but if you hadn't finished your progress was reset apropos of nothing, and obviously you lack the ability to get two monthlies even on completion. I'm sure many were at 75% or higher as of today like myself and will be rather upset, and this is one of a few occasions where a little recompense would definitely be appropriate.

Lunar15

Solid update. I like their constant focus on making sure rewards match effort and get people out in the world. It's always an experiment, so I understand that it doesn't always work, but bless 'em for trying.

I wonder what kind of builds will shake out of the new rune arrangements and ascended items.

Proven

As others have said, level-headed people already understand what's in this post. It just sucks that people have to wait so long. At least bringing back SAB this month, Halloween next month, (possibly more Karka in November) and Wintersday in December should give them a decent amount of time to focus on PvP and WvW, and we're already seeing that to a degree with the upcoming update to the borderlands.

Definitely crazy.

Colin also said that sPvP is larger than GW1's pvp (and growing) even though people would lead you to believe it's the opposite.
It's mostly because the server system causes 52 different lobbies to exist. The PvP has to be filled to bursting to even have a majority of those 52 lobbies to be consistently lively.

Nothing much to say about it, really.

Shrewd indeed.

edit:

:)

That's a PSA I need.

Arcteryx

They are working on fixing the fubar'd monthly, so good news for those who were close to completing it but got their progress erased.

The luck seems to drop pretty well from greens and the dust that comes from the champ boxes is...silly. I think I've got like 2 stacks of the dust already and I'm not even 1/4 way through my boxes.

OH SHIT

I thought farming would grind some people's gears, but maybe not....

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They are working on fixing the fubar'd monthly, so good news for those who were close to completing it but got their progress erased.
Hey called it again. I like modesty and all but my record for these things is pretty jawsome 8) I missed the whole karma apology dealy, that was way more than I'd have expected to come out of that.

jersoc

thank god. 2/3rds of mine were gone.

opened all those bags. only 2 exos out of them. they all dropped the new mats too. so i have a shit ton of those taking up space.

Arcteryx

There's an entirely new crafting tab for them I believe, do you mean you have more than full stacks?

Yea I've got like ~4 stacks atm and still more boxes to go. They seem to have very high chance per champ box.

I REALLY want them to upgrade(or allow us to purchase upgrades) the crafting stack sizes; sucks having to stick all this stuff in the bank/inventory.

Kite

Given the context of the rest of that paragraph I don't know how you can draw that conclusion, at least with any degree of certainty.
I think the WVW statement comes from a different quote:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/JonPeters-and-other-Devs/first#post2758406
Extra fun fact: the population of WvW who plays any given week regularly is larger than the entire population of all of Gw1 the game any given week for a large chunk of the games lifespan. Just want to put things in perspective, Gw1 was amazing, but there is a reason we made Gw2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep it does come from a different quote.

JonColin said WvW's weekly pop is greater than the entire GW1 weekly pop (PvE and PvP) for a big chunk of the game's lifespan.

Colin separately said that the PvP population in GW2 exceeds the PvP population at its height in GW1.

I was responding to Kos since it seemed like he thought the statements were about the same thing.

Katoki

I'm more interested in one of the poster's argument for convincing PvE players to even consider stepping foot in WvW when the leagues happen. There really is little incentive for people happy with their PvE content to go in there barring systems unable to handle the load.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Initial research indicates that there's a fairly sizable disparity in the number of daily ascended mat rewards obtainable from each piece of content (WvW objective/world boss/jumping puzzle), apparently based on the difficulty/time investment required.

Put more simply, The Claw of Jormag now gives you more goodies than the Frozen Maw.

Stealthily and without any overt mention, my instincts tell me in no uncertain terms that this patch is a significant advancement in the reallocation of rewards to more closely mirror (or reflect at all) the specific content you've completed during a day, versus merely the type of content. If different dungeon paths award different quantities in this sense as well, this may well shift the risk vs. reward dynamics quite a bit more than anticipated.

Okay, soooooooo... all that said...

In my highlights post I mentioned that tonight I'd do an informal tour of some minidungeons/JPs/anomalies. I changed my mind and I think we should schedule that for Thursday, Sept. 5th, at 9:00PM EDT.

Two reasons for this: 1) I'm going to be jumping like twice every second of gameplay today and interrupting that for... more jumping seemed silly, and 2) curiosity is just really taking hold of me with regard to the updated Karka Queen rewards.

I really, really, really want to know what ArenaNet now considers the Karka Queen "worth" in light of this new evidence.

I know it's short notice, but could I call upon you guys to form another Southsun Hit Squad tonight? Say following the 8:00PM invasion, prior to our regularly scheduled makeups (if in fact anyone needs them).

The Karka Queen is one of the few static pieces of content in the game that you simply cannot beat without a lot of coordination and a large, like-minded group. Ordinarily I'd do whatever necessary to go off on my own and test crap For Science, but in this case I need you. Will you answer the call?

Levyne

Banned
It's hard to judge yet. New guilds helped us immensely in night coverage over the weekend (a holiday weekend so we have yet to see a typical one), but a lot of the new bodies still seems to be NA primetime.

I mean it hasn't been a full match yet so we are improperly mixing a small amount of evidence with a lot of speculation (and wishful thinking).

BP seems to still be rocking our shit right now, though we are still holding a lead. So far, it seems like we are significantly more powerful primetime and only marginally so otherwise. But, again, not even a full matchup yet, and guilds are apparently still moving in (Star mentioend a Korean guild yesterday, don't recall the tag or where from).

Luigi87

I'd totally be in for another Karka Queen ass kicking!

So I saved well past 100 champ bags from Scarlet invasions.
Original intent was to down the many karma sips from them, but... Well, now I'll just get a lot of bloodstone dust <_<

Initial research indicates that there's a fairly sizable disparity in the number of daily ascended mat rewards obtainable from each piece of content (WvW objective/world boss/jumping puzzle), apparently based on the difficulty/time investment required.

Put more simply, The Claw of Jormag now gives you more goodies than the Frozen Maw.

Stealthily and without any overt mention, my instincts tell me in no uncertain terms that this patch is a significant advancement in the reallocation of rewards to more closely mirror (or reflect at all) the specific content you've completed during a day, versus merely the type of content. If different dungeon paths award different quantities in this sense as well, this may well shift the risk vs. reward dynamics quite a bit more than anticipated.

Okay, soooooooo... all that said...

In my highlights post I mentioned that tonight I'd do an informal tour of some minidungeons/JPs/anomalies. I changed my mind and I think we should schedule that for Thursday, Sept. 5th, at 9:00PM EDT.

Two reasons for this: 1) I'm going to be jumping like twice every second of gameplay today and interrupting that for... more jumping seemed silly, and 2) curiosity is just really taking hold of me with regard to the updated Karka Queen rewards.

I really, really, really want to know what ArenaNet now considers the Karka Queen "worth" in light of this new evidence.

I know it's short notice, but could I call upon you guys to form another Southsun Hit Squad tonight? Say following the 8:00PM invasion, prior to our regularly scheduled makeups (if in fact anyone needs them).

The Karka Queen is one of the few static pieces of content in the game that you simply cannot beat without a lot of coordination and a large, like-minded group. Ordinarily I'd do whatever necessary to go off on my own and test crap For Science, but in this case I need you. Will you answer the call?

I will be ready to answer the call for any PvE content that is not SAB.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkbot needs data :[]

Plz upvote <3

edit: for new page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom