• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

Done about 30 dungeon runs this week. Feels good. Even been taking Tommy Haass and her 3% map completion into some.

Anyone still need story mode for Sorrows Embrace? Probably easier to organise one here than on guild chat.

Done about 30 dungeon runs this week. Feels good. Even been taking Tommy Haass and 3‰ map completion into some.

Anyone still need story mode for Sorrows Embrace? Probably easier to organise one here than on guild chat.

I'm pretty sure I need that one. I'd be up for it if the timing works out. Let me know.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Never Forget

tybalt_leftpaw.jpg

I'm making one of his weapons as my first ascended piece, don't really care about the stats.

edit: Settler's. I'm sure I can make that work on some character.

Shiokazu

I'm making one of his weapons as my first ascended piece, don't really care about the stats.

edit: Settler's. I'm sure I can make that work on some character.

fuck yeah, he IS THAT AWESOME

just scheduling a Honor of the Waves run, i want to farm symbols, because kodan heavy armor looked great on my norn.

I hit 80 on my thief last weekend and love it... but Mesmer is intriguing me. I haven't messed with it too much but how is the class in WvW? I might start leveling it on the side.

Lanbeast

Alright, I was going to play this when it first came out but decided to hold off. It's time to get into it with a buddy of mine. Super excited!

hythloday

I hit 80 on my thief last weekend and love it... but Mesmer is intriguing me. I haven't messed with it too much but how is the class in WvW? I might start leveling it on the side.

Mesmer and thief are the 2 classes that really clicked with me. I don't really get into WvW though. Try it out, see if you like it!

Alright, I was going to play this when it first came out but decided to hold off. It's time to get into it with a buddy of mine. Super excited!

GAF is on Stormbluff Isle server if you want to play with us.

Check out OT for more info on who to contact to join the guild if you are interested.

Maledict

Mesmer is a really interesting innovative class design. However, don't plan on enjoying PvE with it. Thanks to its ability to confuse in PvP its actually pretty sucky for PvE, with one workable dps build and a huge amount of the classes intended mechanics (confusion, interrupts, clones and illusions actually controlling bosses) that simply dont work. Also the class *sucks* in large scale PvE fights as we have few few AoE tagging abilities.

Great for pvp I hear though!

Arkanius

Anyone want to help me with Arah story mode?
I never bothered doing it, and I really would like to finish it, for completion sakes :eek:

Katoki

Mesmer is a really interesting innovative class design. However, don't plan on enjoying PvE with it. Thanks to its ability to confuse in PvP its actually pretty sucky for PvE, with one workable dps build and a huge amount of the classes intended mechanics (confusion, interrupts, clones and illusions actually controlling bosses) that simply dont work. Also the class *sucks* in large scale PvE fights as we have few few AoE tagging abilities.

Great for pvp I hear though!

Mesmers can be really slippery in WvW if that's your thing. They are in high demand right now for veil (stealth for anyone that runs over the line), portal (moving significant numbers of people from one point to another, more so for golem rushes), time warp (elite for speeding up golem attacks on gates), mass invisibility (when your veil is on CD or as an "oh shit").

But other than that, expect to be the guy who may have to hide in keeps and stuff while being slippery to avoid sweepers so that you can port people back in. Though, being the one that runs with the zerg isn't bad since you're always with people gaining WXP and killing.

I win! Embedded quotes.

Mesmer is a really interesting innovative class design. However, don't plan on enjoying PvE with it. Thanks to its ability to confuse in PvP its actually pretty sucky for PvE, with one workable dps build and a huge amount of the classes intended mechanics (confusion, interrupts, clones and illusions actually controlling bosses) that simply dont work.
I agree the confusion condition sucks in PvE due to mobs mostly using skills only every 5 seconds, but I still get the satisfaction of seeing an abomination do his wind-up, then kill himself the moment his arm goes into forward motion. The greatsword's range helps with mobs latching onto illusions. My favorite tactic is investing in the first trait line and using the vulnerability bomb and immediately putting up ~18 stacks of vulnerability if I get lucky with my shatters. Then again, I trait my alts to optimize solo PvE play so that's a factor.

BrettWeir

Sure, it's not a Legendary, but damn happy about this. One of my favorite milestones in the game. Just waiting on the daily mat creations and I'll have my shield. Can't wait for Ascended armor!! This is for Floobit. I HATE that thief. Only use it for crafting, since it has all of them maxed.

iboVGGT2JU5gzs.jpg

Lunar15

Speaking of mesmers, mine just hit level 80.

Any tips on dungeon builds, or builds in general? I'd love to start running dungeons with Mesmer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Any newbies joining us, in about 45 minutes we have our weekly mission frenzy! I may be a little bit late tonight but feel free to get started without me if anyone's in a rush.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Welcome Lanbeast!

Great missions tonight as always... impressed we got everybody through the Trove.

Painful Maelstrom invasion after, owie :( Least I got a feel for some more of the spawn spots, only done that one once.

Great missions as usual. The Snowden guild puzzle seems prone to separation. The next time we get it we will have to get a plan to stay together. Got HotW story mode done tonight too. We did alright, not perfect but at least 4 of us were new to the story mode. Thanks those who were there for that.

pyros

I had a great time today, sorry to have been a bother at the puzzle jumping event, my daughter can be a handful some times, but still had fun, thanks guys.

Retro

I had a great time today, sorry to have been a bother at the puzzle jumping event, my daughter can be a handful some times, but still had fun, thanks guys.

Not a bother at all, lots of members have kids and we know things can come up. The important thing is that everyone have fun and get their comms if at all possible.

Somewhere in Lornar's pass there is an Asuran NPC who wanted to condition Norn progeny to fear windriders using holograms for reasons opaque. I am intrigued.

hythloday

For you SBI WvWers, there's an "Emergency" server meeting on the SBI TeamSpeak at 6PM Eastern tonight.

The meeting agenda will include 2 topics:
1. Changes to lake and capture points
2. How we will deal with being in tier 1

Personally I don't really take WvW all that seriously, but if you're into server WvW strategy things like that, feel free to attend.

Personally I don't really take WvW all that seriously, but if you're into server WvW strategy things like that, feel free to attend.
You should, though. WvW is serious business for serious people. Seriously.

I might check it out regardless. It'll be interesting to see what new strategies are formulated to deal with the new landscape.

Retro

I know a lot of people want to see SBI get back into Tier 1, but having experienced that before I can honestly say I hope we crash and burn before anything like that happens. Sorry WvWers, but Tier 1 is as unfun as anything I've done in GW2 (yes, including World 2-2 of SAB). I don't want us to constantly steamroll our opponents, as that's not enjoyable either, but the attitude and behavior of the other servers, as well as the WvW-focused guilds on SBI, just made it unpleasant. The lower tiers were actually really good in terms of fights; we had a good chance each week at winning, and the matches were almost always very close. Zergs were comparable in size and things changed hands often enough to be exciting.

If we end up in the higher tiers, that means long queues, boring Coverage Wars and a lot of irritable commanders making map chat / Teamspeak unpleasant. No thanks.

Complistic

are we even t2 now? I'd be happy at t2. edit: oh league 1.

In a related matter, I commanded my first time in eb yesterday. We only had one commander and a zerg got into the outter wall of stonemist. The commander was off not paying attention. So I cracked under Aodh's, and roxie's peer pressure and commanded up to at least draw people to my tag to help defend sm. The atttackers ended up backing off.

Later, a different zerg, about equal in size to the zerg folling me around, was starting to siege up outside of one of our keeps on a bit of a hill(i think, I dunno the terminology for the different castle things). Jumped off a wall, and of course, everyone follows me and we wipe them out before they could even get their siege all the way built. Was risky, but it was nice to just end that quickly instead of putting up with a slow siege.

And the last great moment was right after we took a supply camp, they were overwhelming our outter sm gate defenders, so i take my zerg back and basically come out of the hills right at their siege line and flank the ones working attacking our gate.
Then to top that little encounter off, by now the siege defenders and operators are at the top of the cliff and we push forwards, forcing them to jump off the cliffs and to their deaths.

Was basically a gw2 version of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZpNZuh8_c
Nothing greater than watching your enemy jump from a cliff instead of fighting you, being unable to see when they land, but knowing they did when some xp pops up for you :p

Anyway, that might not be anything special or happen all the time in wvw, I dunno, but it was the first time I tagged up. Had a ton of fun.

Lunar15

Is there really a huge advantage in scholar runes over say, ruby orbs? I know they give power at low health, but otherwise, are the stats significantly better?

Talaysen

Is there really a huge advantage in scholar runes over say, ruby orbs? I know they give power at low health, but otherwise, are the stats significantly better?

Scholars are worse than Ruby Orbs on pure stats, but they give a 10% bonus to damage at high health, which counteracts that. When I did the math for my character's stats (mesmer with mostly zerk gear), it turned out that I break even on damage if I'm at above 90% health for at least 21% of the time, which isn't really hard to do. That threshhold changes depending on what your stats are (goes up with higher power and down with higher precision / crit damage), but I don't think it will change all that much in general.

Even if at full health 100% of the time, it's only like a 7% damage increase for me. Low health 100% of the time is about a 2% damage drop.

jersoc

I know a lot of people want to see SBI get back into Tier 1, but having experienced that before I can honestly say I hope we crash and burn before anything like that happens. Sorry WvWers, but Tier 1 is as unfun as anything I've done in GW2 (yes, including World 2-2 of SAB). I don't want us to constantly steamroll our opponents, as that's not enjoyable either, but the attitude and behavior of the other servers, as well as the WvW-focused guilds on SBI, just made it unpleasant. The lower tiers were actually really good in terms of fights; we had a good chance each week at winning, and the matches were almost always very close. Zergs were comparable in size and things changed hands often enough to be exciting.

If we end up in the higher tiers, that means long queues, boring Coverage Wars and a lot of irritable commanders making map chat / Teamspeak unpleasant. No thanks.

I think we have a way to before T1. I really wouldn't mind it. WvW seems a lot more fun now. I guess it helps that there's actual commanders again.

From being a very hardcore pvper in the wow days. Shit could get intense quick in the group i pvp'd with.

I just ignore the other shit now. It's pretty easy to just ignore the drama. I don't read the gw2 forums. so that helps. Plus it helps when you roll with some gaffers too.

Also, fragments.

edit:related to LFG. forgot to post this earlier

I think it's shit what they are doing. I was really looking forward to it because when I get home from work theres like 10 people on and 3 are wvw'ing. Not gonna spam a group in LA. I know why they are rolling it out like that. But ffs, just fucking wait another 2 weeks if it's not ready and give it everyone.

Complistic

edit:related to LFG. forgot to post this earlier

I think it's shit what they are doing. I was really looking forward to it because when I get home from work theres like 10 people on and 3 are wvw'ing. Not gonna spam a group in LA. I know why they are rolling it out like that. But ffs, just fucking wait another 2 weeks if it's not ready and give it everyone.

You don't understand. Waiting 2 weeks wouldn't do anything. It's if the entire playerbase all at once starts searching and making groups as soon as the patch drops it's gonna melt stuff. It's not that it isn't ready. This is so much better than simply launching it and having it down for everyone. This way they can monitor it's usage and if it's getting pushed too hard and they can not open it up too more people if its close to crashing.

Jira

You don't understand. Waiting 2 weeks wouldn't do anything. It's if the entire playerbase all at once starts searching and making groups as soon as the patch drops it's gonna melt stuff. It's not that it isn't ready. This is so much better than simply launching it and having it down for everyone. This way they can monitor it's usage and if it's getting pushed too hard and they can not open it up too more people if its close to crashing.

Yeeeeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom