• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
There's another laser at 25% which is another big hit to his health and another stun. In the JQ attempt, that's enough free damage to bring him to like than 5% before the timer starts again.

We missed by a tiny margin even in that chaotic attempt.

That's what I was referring to by "the way the event works". We need to maximize damage during the stun and get better at it.

Another thing learned from the JQ attempt: When they go out to dps on the stunned taco, there are no fingers and no poison aoes, whereas when we do it there are fingers and people go down the finger attacks.

They must have had a squad clearing the remaining fingers while the laser charges.

This lets them dps on the stunned dragon and restack to fight with no pressure from the poison damage. We lacked that, and and it really hurt us in both those aspects.

Oh wow. That would be a huge help.

Luigi87

Another thing learned from the JQ attempt: When they go out to dps on the stunned taco, there are no fingers and no poison aoes, whereas when we do it there are fingers and people go down the finger attacks.

They must have had a squad clearing the remaining fingers while the laser charges.

This lets them dps on the stunned dragon and restack to fight with no pressure from the poison damage. We lacked that, and and it really hurt us in both those aspects.

This is very important note.
Over on TC as well there is basically no poison AoE during the stun, so dps can be maximized.

Was watching my brother take on TAco with all of you guys, and just wanted to say that I'm proud of you all. It was awesome watching you guys almost get him down to 25% left.

Keep it up. We are doing this tonight for sure.

Arkanius

http://imgur.com/a/Hfjq5

U0ukUB5.jpg

Group shots here

Arkanius

I have a feeling we'll be doing this every night. Plenty of loot will be had.

Except we need help every night for this.
I guess everyone will improve now and we will get extra oiled.

I think this is also getting nerfed after the Living Story event

Mxrz

We aren't dead last! (Actually we're on the upper end, right?)

Fight mostly seemed easy, but we kept getting hammered on South. When the spawns happened, it'd dump a hoard on top of us. It was pretty fun, but not something I'd want to do every night.

Arkanius

I got god damned scared on the second battery fight. On 5 seconds left, one of the batteries started losing life so quickly that one more second and we would have lost

Except we need help every night for this.
I guess everyone will improve now and we will get extra oiled.

I think this is also getting nerfed after the Living Story event

Yeah, I feel the same about the nerf. He will be buffed during Boss Week, then will be nerfed some. Hopefully not too much. I hope it will still take the same coordination if he's nerfed.

Good luck to the group trying now. Would be nice to have 2 successful attempts in a row.

Yeah, 2 in a row didn't happen. Seems it started earlier than usual. Hawkian took credit for the failure. Blame him!

:p

Seriously though, great accomplishment tonight all who were there. That was satisfying. GAF should lead SBI to victory vs Tequatl tomorrow night, then we should go wreck a borderland after reset.

Syril

Man, I have had the worst timing with this fight. Two out of the three times I've been able to be there for it, I loaded into the zone the instant he started attacking, and the game threw so much shit at my six year old computer that the game actually failed to properly load my character model, causing the camera to go completely apeshit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
...fuck.

I understand that for some veterans of online gaming, this experience is nothing new. Being the first on your server to beat a new raid must have been exhilarating, and I'm sure the resulting sensation is similar. But I haven't played any of those games, and I personally have never felt anything like this in gaming before. My heart was pounding since the 50% mark of the previous run, where we really didn't have the organization we needed but you could just feel how well we were doing.

That satisfaction from reaching 25% for the first time, to knowing we could kill him, to killing him, was immense. And then seconds later, the game's developer posts on Twitter that we did it. We're the 7th NA server (if you include ET :p) and 15th overall to get it done. We did it. That was us. We were there. All future successes Stormbluff Isle has in this fight (including, hopefully, the one I'm missing right now!) come in the wake of this glorious victory.

GAF made an enormous impact on this kill, accounting for about a quarter or more of the total force, Ash leading the main zerg plug our own parties as turret defenders. And even though there were well over 100 people on the map, maybe my favorite thing about the fight is that every group, every pair, even individuals can make huge plays. I saw a Guardian banish a Creeper (or whatever the hell they're called) away from our laser battery at the exact right moment. One person peeling off from the zerg to quick a quick turret rebuild off before hopping back in. Warbanner drops turning an unlucky wave into barely a second and a half of loss.

I personally was using every trick in the book I've learned over a year of experience with my classes. Cluster bombs in a water field to heal. Shadowstep out of the zerg to focus down a finger by the turrets, Shadowstep back to remove the poison. Run up and Dagger Storm in a light field to keep people cleansed. Infiltrator's Arrow to speed over to the battery for laser phase. Pick up a stray Fiery Greatsword, spin forward and blast Teq, drop it and shortbow 3 back out to the zerg. I died twice, and I'm both proud of my own performance and psyched to get better and better.

I had this incredibly memorable experience being a part of a server first kill, and I suddenly have this newfound respect for the raiding I have never done. I understand why people would chase this sensation, and why people desired it brought to GW2. And yet...

• No one is turned away because there are too many or too few of a particular class.
  • No one is locked out because of an arbitrary maximum number of players that can compete (well, before getting into the hundreds anyway).
  • Participants do not need best-in-slot gear to complete it.
  • No need to sign up in advance for the chance to participate at all.
I know hythloday mentioned these things already, but it bears repeating. We coordinated with a massive number of people. Over 125 people all working together for a common goal. Gamers who wouldn't touch traditional MMO raiding with a ten foot pole- myself included- were in there with us, not just along for the ride, but making an impact right alongside the hardcorest of the hardcore.

All of the initial Tuesday complaints (and continuing official forum complaints) seem patently laughable to me now. Overtuned? Heh, over 1:30 to spare on our first kill. It'd be a travesty to see him nerfed at this point. Average randoms can't follow instructions and will ruin it for everyone? Apparently not. On our winning run I barely saw a single defeated player on the ground (except for Adriaaa of course). No one will want to do it because of shitty rewards?

Let's consider that last one for a minute. Guild Wars 2 having poor "risk vs. reward" is a common complaint. Not even one I entirely disagree with. But you know what I did in-game for a majority of the time this week? Waited. I stood around in Sparkfly Fen. I talked over strategies, helped assign people jobs, tried to help us identify how the preceding failure differed from the one before that. For a majority of the time I spent in Guild Wars 2 this week, my "gold per hour" was literally zero. Guess what? It was maybe my favorite week spent with the game so far.

Guild Wars 2 is about a lot of different things. Lots of different playstyles, lots of different ways to spend your time. Much of it has been about relatively simple content with easily-obtained rewards that players of any skill level can enjoy. There's nothing wrong with that.

But now it's about this, too. I love that they just unleashed this terrifying encounter on the playerbase with faith that we'd figure it out, get it down, get it done. My mind is racing with the possibilities for what's to come. How will we be forced to adapt next time? Will it be even harder? Can SBI pull together for a top 5 kill next time? Top 3? What will it even be?

Proud of our server and our guild tonight. Whatever comes next...
We'll be waiting.

Levyne

Banned
What were YOUR main contributions to SBI's first Teq kill?

• Traited Ranger elite spirit for regen and expanded resing.
  • Cleared Teq Fingers during battery defense to maximize output during stun phase.
  • Longbow dps during range, sword dps during stun.
  • Helped bail out overrun south turrets halfway though fight.

How about you?

Ashodin

• Lead the entire zerg
  • Kept people in the zerg with Stability
  • Coordinated defense of East Battery
  • Successfully educated people about rezzing and running back far wide of the turrets

No more important than any of your jobs.

Ceres

Banned
Yeah, 2 in a row didn't happen. Seems it started earlier than usual. Hawkian took credit for the failure. Blame him!

:p

Seriously though, great accomplishment tonight all who were there. That was satisfying. GAF should lead SBI to victory vs Tequatl tomorrow night, then we should go wreck a borderland after reset.

I got my times mixed up :p

Ursa, Thors, Aule, Useri, plus three other defenders:

Northwest Turrent Defense Crew fo lyfe

No turret lost, 3 champs destroyed

Glad to be part of this group. Especially since you ferried me :). Also glad I didn't get a phone call for work until 20m later.

...fuck.

I understand that for some veterans of online gaming, this experience is nothing new. Being the first on your server to beat a new raid must have been exhilarating, and I'm sure the resulting sensation is similar. But I haven't played any of those games, and I personally have never felt anything like this in gaming before. My heart was pounding since the 50% mark of the previous run, where we really didn't have the organization we needed but you could just feel how well we were doing.

That satisfaction from reaching 25% for the first time, to knowing we could kill him, to killing him, was immense. And then seconds later, the game's developer posts on Twitter that we did it. We're the 7th NA server (if you include ET :p) and 15th overall to get it done. We did it. That was us. We were there. All future successes Stormbluff Isle has in this fight (including, hopefully, the one I'm missing right now!) come in the wake of this glorious victory.

GAF made an enormous impact on this kill, accounting for about a quarter or more of the total force, Ash leading the main zerg plug our own parties as turret defenders. And even though there were well over 100 people on the map, maybe my favorite thing about the fight is that every group, every pair, even individuals can make huge plays. I saw a Guardian banish a Creeper (or whatever the hell they're called) away from our laser battery at the exact right moment. One person peeling off from the zerg to quick a quick turret rebuild off before hopping back in. Warbanner drops turning an unlucky wave into barely a second and a half of loss.

I personally was using every trick in the book I've learned over a year of experience with my classes. Cluster bombs in a water field to heal. Shadowstep out of the zerg to focus down a finger by the turrets, Shadowstep back to remove the poison. Run up and Dagger Storm in a light field to keep people cleansed. Infiltrator's Arrow to speed over to the battery for laser phase. Pick up a stray Fiery Greatsword, spin forward and blast Teq, drop it and shortbow 3 back out to the zerg. I died twice, and I'm both proud of my own performance and psyched to get better and better.

I had this incredibly memorable experience being a part of a server first kill, and I suddenly have this newfound respect for the raiding I have never done. I understand why people would chase this sensation, and why people desired it brought to GW2. And yet...

• No one is turned away because there are too many or too few of a particular class.
  • No one is locked out because of an arbitrary maximum number of players that can compete (well, before getting into the hundreds anyway).
  • Participants do not need best-in-slot gear to complete it.
  • No need to sign up in advance for the chance to participate at all.
I know hythloday mentioned these things already, but it bears repeating. We coordinated with a massive number of people. Over 125 people all working together for a common goal. Gamers who wouldn't touch traditional MMO raiding with a ten foot pole- myself included- were in there with us, not just along for the ride, but making an impact right alongside the hardcorest of the hardcore.

All of the initial Tuesday complaints (and continuing official forum complaints) seem patently laughable to me now. Overtuned? Heh, over 1:30 to spare on our first kill. It'd be a travesty to see him nerfed at this point. Average randoms can't follow instructions and will ruin it for everyone? Apparently not. On our winning run I barely saw a single defeated player on the ground (except for Adriaaa of course). No one will want to do it because of shitty rewards?

Let's consider that last one for a minute. Guild Wars 2 having poor "risk vs. reward" is a common complaint. Not even one I entirely disagree with. But you know what I did in-game for a majority of the time this week? Waited. I stood around in Sparkfly Fen. I talked over strategies, helped assign people jobs, tried to help us identify how the preceding failure differed from the one before that. For a majority of the time I spent in Guild Wars 2 this week, my "gold per hour" was literally zero. Guess what? It was maybe my favorite week spent with the game so far.

Guild Wars 2 is about a lot of different things. Lots of different playstyles, lots of different ways to spend your time. Much of it has been about relatively simple content with easily-obtained rewards that players of any skill level can enjoy. There's nothing wrong with that.

But now it's about this, too. I love that they just unleashed this terrifying encounter on the playerbase with faith that we'd figure it out, get it down, get it done. My mind is racing with the possibilities for what's to come. How will we be forced to adapt next time? Will it be even harder? Can SBI pull together for a top 5 kill next time? Top 3? What will it even be?

Proud of our server and our guild tonight. Whatever comes next...

We'll be waiting.

Well said. It felt like a great saga, rising from the initial crushing defeats with planning and plotting and practicing to tangible progress, then falling back from previous bests and more planning and practice until finally, victory. Glorious.

Complistic

• Feared a hell bent plague carrying creeper away from the main laser when it had like 20% health.
  • Kept the southern turret area clear of randoms that would of scaled up the mobs
  • hopped on a turret and shot taco for 9k each hit during stunned phase.
  • Kept the southern turrets up almost 100% of the time until after the third laser shot. For some reason 30 or so risen followed us back from the main gun and wiped the 5 of us who didn't run off to the dps group.

Just couldn't hold them. And we weren't getting the reinforcements running back from the waypoint like the northern cannon was getting. So next time we fight him, I'm going to requisition a couple more gaf to help out. Losing those 3 turrets for the last 30 seconds seriously stressed the entire team.

[/LIST]

Just couldn't hold them. And we weren't getting the reinforcements running back from the waypoint like the northern cannon was getting. So next time we fight him, I'm going to requisition a couple more gaf to help out. Losing those 3 turrets for the last 30 seconds seriously stressed the entire team.

Yeah, the southern turret defender group could have done much better. I'll take my blame for that. RIP Ele :)

We had 2 afk on that side that kept getting revived over and over. And as the fight went along, we seemed to lose a couple each phase that joined DPS. I was even on the turret twice since it was empty. That's not what I had planned, but man up right? GAF totally led us to victory tonight. We weren't the first, but our first victory went so well. I say we shoot for the fastest victory. Friday night will be filled with experience.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What were YOUR main contributions to SBI's first Teq kill?

• Traited Ranger elite spirit for regen and expanded resing.
  • Cleared Teq Fingers during battery defense to maximize output during stun phase.
  • Longbow dps during range, sword dps during stun.
  • Helped bail out overrun south turrets halfway though fight.

How about you?
This is fun, keep it goin'! hehe
  • About 50-50 split pure DPS and pure support, on a thief
  • Critically pulled off the zergball to spike down a finger at southern turrets and repair one
  • Picked up an ice bow Aodh must have dropped by the turrets to bring back to Teq
  • Mad rezzin' of the stragglers the spirits and banners missed
  • Died right before Teq did to lull him into a false sense of security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom