• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow is this a hard game to get back to lol. Decided to roll a new toon and use the 1 year boost to lvl 20 scroll thing... and now realize i don't know what to do >.>"

Where do i get gear in this game :p. I don't recall this game having traditional story stuff, but there are some story quests right?

but i do know after playing ff14 for a month, gah does combat feel soo much better here.

wow is this a hard game to get back to lol. Decided to roll a new toon and use the 1 year boost to lvl 20 scroll thing... and now realize i don't know what to do >.>"

Where do i get gear in this game :p. I don't recall this game having traditional story stuff, but there are some story quests right?

but i do know after playing ff14 for a month, gah does combat feel soo much better here.

- If you are leveling up, use the Trading Post (Press O), and buy Green (Master Work) items for you level, do it every 5 levels (they are very cheap). If you do not want to spend money you can just craft new items.

- The personal story missions are listed in the top right corner in green text. They have a number beside them which tells you what level they are meant for.

- You also get Karma from doing hearts and events (orange circles on the map/radar), and some of the heart NPCs, once you complete the heart sell you armor and weapons with Karma.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Where do i get gear in this game :p.
While leveling any combination of:
-Heart vendors (after you complete a heart, the NPC will sell you stuff)
-Armor/weapon vendors in town
-Crafting
-Trading Post
I don't recall this game having traditional story stuff, but there are some story quests right?
The personal story is fairly "traditional" as far as I'm concerned. Instanced, NPC-driven, progresses to the "main" plot while varying wildly in quality, etc.

In the upper right, it's the notifier with the green star icon telling you where to go.

edit: whoops, Kos out-botted me on this one

neat. besides doing the story stuff, there aren't content gating right? Like i can just run my new 20 toon to the next area without being locked down doing newbie stuff right?

I can't really think of a game that offered any sort of limited time or w/e 'free' higher level character/boost thing that doesn't mess something up somehow.

Lunar15

neat. besides doing the story stuff, there aren't content gating right? Like i can just run my new 20 toon to the next area without being locked down doing newbie stuff right?

I can't really think of a game that offered any sort of limited time or w/e 'free' higher level character/boost thing that doesn't mess something up somehow.

Yep, you can go wherever you want. Heck, you don't even have to stay in your starting area: you can use the asura gate to go to Lion's Arch and then from there you can go to any race's starting area. You could even run to the highest level areas right now if you wanted to.... but you'd probably die on the way there.

You can go to whatever zones you want but if you go into a zone that is high level they will probably one shot you.

I would actually recommened you explore and do events in the starting zones (1-15/20) ie Queensdale, Caledon Forest, Metrica Province, Wayfarer Foothills and Plains of Ashford because even though you are level 20, you will be scaled down to the level of the area which means the content is still challenging but much easier because you are 20 already and you will still be getting just as much XP as if you were in a level 20+ zone. If you are level 20 in a 20-30 level zone you will be ok in the part where mobs are level 20, but in the area where there is level 30 mobs it will be quite difficult.

You can check the level of the zones by opening the map and zooming into a zone you are interested in.

Yep, you can go wherever you want. Heck, you don't even have to stay in your starting area: you can use the asura gate to go to Lion's Arch and then from there you can go to any race's starting area. You could even run to the highest level areas right now if you wanted to.... but you'd probably die on the way there.

Dammit Lunar!

Stop posting...I'm trying to over take your post count.

Lunar15

Dammit Lunar!

Stop posting...I'm trying to over take your post count.

DiabolicalLaughter_8400.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, there is literally no gating with regard to level. Even the dungeons which specify a level "requirement" are actually just recommendations; you could enter a level 70 dungeon at level 20 and get crushed.

However, like Kos said I actually wouldn't skip the newbie zones; in fact, since they're quite cool and you can get to them all easily, I'd recommend doing a couple despite your level boost. You'll still get plenty of relevant XP.

I have checked for you guys and if you care about dungeon spoilers, avoid any of the preview threads until you get a chance to play it yourself.

Please NeoGAF stop dying so much.

Right there is the main reason why I gave up on beating Teqautl. I abhor waiting around for hours for a 15 minute event to pop.

On a related note, that's why I'm still playing the game. I don't have to wait. I can just go do something else and still be an active part of the world.

I was going to say...that first line doesn't sound like you at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still no sign of patch I imagine? I wonder what his new spawn timing will look like. If it's a world notification like Scarlet, it'll really be putting our organization to the test

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Notes live:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-October-1-2013

This time I'll remember to log in and patch from here.

Dungeon sounds rather rich in stuff. I don't want to be spoiled at all (the notes themselves actually contain just a hair more than I'd like to know) so let this stand as a warning. It's nothing really specific, but I know a bit more than I expected to before stepping inside.

Initial oddities:
These Aether Key Pieces will drop worldwide during the Twilight Assault release. After the release, they will only be found in the Tarnished Coast and Steamspur Mountain areas.
Interesting. First instance of open world items with relevance to optional in-dungeon content. I think I like the idea quite a lot.
During the Twilight Assault release, the number of deadly blooms and empyreal fragments awarded for completing the Twilight Arbor Aetherpath will be increased.
A-ha. Also lol at "aetherpath."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
During this release, a new set of daily achievements challenges players to complete either Twilight Arbor or another dungeon that rotates daily. Completing story mode or any of the explorable mode paths will qualify. These daily achievements contribute toward Twilight Assaulted, the meta-achievement for the release.
Dungeon Week!

A couple good QoL fixes for Teq participants, plus the rewards:
The rewards for fighting Tequatl the Sunless have been updated to more accurately reflect the difficulty of the encounter and coordination required to be successful.]
The chests awarded for completing the battery events have been improved, and they will now be awarded each time the corresponding event is successfully completed instead of once per day.
The gold and rare-item drops awarded daily for successfully defeating Tequatl have been increased.
:p Let the gimme-gimme masses flood I suppose. The "screw daily binding" one is definitely a great idea though.
The drop rate of the Sunless weapons has been increased significantly.
This one, very good and not at all suprising. I wonder what "significantly" is. Funny though. I wonder how many "sources" of Ascended weapons there will be a year from now.
The Experimental Rifle bundle weapon is no longer usable in dungeons.
Womp womp ;)
The Permanent Mad King Finisher is now available in the Gem Store in the Upgrades category for 700 gems. Get ready for the Mad King with this regal finisher! Available until November 11, 2013.
The Permanent Scarecrow Finisher is now available in the Gem Store in the Upgrades category for 500 gems. This spooky finisher will be available until November 11, 2013.
Halloween creeping in!

Odd change to Temple of the Silent Storm, I'll have to check it out for myself.

"EN"

Huh.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
WvW got Truffle Shuffled:
Oh my, wat. ahahah...

Anyone who sees/hears/hears tell of Tequatl spawning, please make a note of the time? Tge stuff timer is still in "i have no idea what I'm doing" mode (although Taidha and the Eye of Zhaitan are apparently both being done right now? wtg SBI)

nataku

The Instant Trait Reset item is now available in the Gem Store in the Consumable category for 70 gems each or 5 for 300 gems. Players can use this item anytime they are not in combat to instantly have all their trait points reset. This item is not usable in structured PvP.

So sad. There goes my hopes of any build saving feature they (probably won't) put in including pre-purchased trait resets.

nataku

Oh my, wat. ahahah...

Anyone who sees/hears/hears tell of Tequatl spawning, please make a note of the time? Tge stuff timer is still in "i have no idea what I'm doing" mode (although Taidha and the Eye of Zhaitan are apparently both being done right now? wtg SBI)

Taco is up, right now.

EDIT: DP, whoops.

Oh my, wat. ahahah...

The one boss I am missing. Damnit work.

Lunar15

Oh. Oh this sounds evil:

Players who complete all the achievements for the Twilight Arbor Aetherpath will earn a fearsomely adorable miniature of the final boss to help players recall all the precious memories they shared together.

Arcteryx

hhahaah @ all the upset people on the forums crying about "having" to buy the new hairstyles. They don't complain about having to buy new characters, but somehow the idea of NEW hair is complaint worthy.

*shrug* I think they look AMAZING! and well worth the ~13g

Just finished the new dungeon path - not as hard as I thought it would be. Final boss is a bit easy too, once you know what to do. But man, is it a stunning place:

iOaDxSY4spJe9.jpg

Arkanius

Just finished the new dungeon path - not as hard as I thought it would be. Final boss is a bit easy too, once you know what to do. But man, is it a stunning place:

iOaDxSY4spJe9.jpg

What is the final boss?
Teach us. The room is huge

My team is stuck at Foreman Spur

Tiops

I'm sorry it someone already asked this in this thread, but it's kinda hard to find something with so many pages (and the previous versions of this thread), but if someone could help me with this I would appreciate.

I started playing this weekend with the free week trial, and I'm really liking it so far. But, as with every MMO, I don't know if I'm playing it in the "correct" or most efficient way.

At what level should I start farming for better equipments? Should I just buy things at the store or at the trading posts until I hit max level? Should I do the side stuff, like mining or gathering?

And regarding leveling, should I do the quests or is there a better way to do this? Because enemies give really crappy experience, and sidequests aren't helping too much. I did everything at the starting area and already am underleveled for the next story quest.

Is there any kind of roadmap I should follow?

Thanks!

At what level should I start farming for better equipments? Should I just buy things at the store or at the trading posts until I hit max level? Should I do the side stuff, like mining or gathering?

And regarding leveling, should I do the quests or is there a better way to do this? Because enemies give really crappy experience, and sidequests aren't helping too much. I did everything at the starting area and already am underleveled for the next story quest.
Let me preface this by saying: Don't worry about speeding through levels. Stop and smell the roses.

Don't worry about "farming", especially by killing critters. Buying gear from the trade post can be an easy way of boosting any gear that's underleveled (usually 10+ levels).

Gathering/mining is a good thing to do while you're out exploring. It takes minimal effort for a good amount of gain both in experience and gold (from selling materials). Crafting gives significant XP as well.

"Quests" and events are another good source of XP, it's a good idea engaging them when you see them.

hythloday

Let me preface this by saying: Don't worry about speeding through levels. Stop and smell the roses.

Don't worry about "farming", especially by killing critters. Buying gear from the trade post can be an easy way of boosting any gear that's underleveled (usually 10+ levels).

Gathering/mining is a good thing to do while you're out exploring. It takes minimal effort for a good amount of gain both in experience and gold (from selling materials). Crafting gives significant XP as well.

"Quests" and events are another good source of XP, it's a good idea engaging them when you see them.

Yup, this is all great advice!

Dynamic events (you'll see them pop up on the right of your screen and be circled in orange on your map) are where it's at. The hearts are really just to lead you to various areas to find the events. A lot of the events are chains, where if you hang around for a bit and watch the NPCs talk when it finishes, it leads right into a new event, then another (and the NPC chat is entertaining on its own as well).

Gathering/mining is great, because you can sell the materials or use them to create level-appropriate armor, and it gives you XP too.

Moondrop

Banned
Could someone please check and explain the changes to Temple of the Silent Storm? Is there no water at all in the central pit? What will happen when I Rifle Butt fools into it?

No Wifi for a few more days...

But, as with every MMO, I don't know if I'm playing it in the "correct" or most efficient way.

As long as you are having fun, you are playing the correct way!

As far as gear goes, use what you can find, buy what you can buy at a reasonable price. The TP is good there. You can find stuff at your level for a good price. Explore. Like others have said, use your gathering tools whenever you come across something. I gathered like crazy, but never crafted. I wish I had spent 10-20 minutes a day crafting, I probably could have made some decent stuff to use or sell. Pay attention to the map and events near you. I'm not sure of your level or where you started, but you can easily travel to the other starter zones and gain xp there too. If you're in GAF guild, definitely use it and ask all you can. If you're not in GAF guild, join!

Shiokazu

electricity company fucked my day. i just wanted to be mashing some aetherblade asses to make my day better, but no.

instead, they decided that there would be a small shortage and that fucked my guild wars files since i dont own a no break. not its all corrupted, i lost one day of live update that i was expecting so much.

i blame scarlet.

I'm sorry it someone already asked this in this thread, but it's kinda hard to find something with so many pages (and the previous versions of this thread), but if someone could help me with this I would appreciate.

I started playing this weekend with the free week trial, and I'm really liking it so far. But, as with every MMO, I don't know if I'm playing it in the "correct" or most efficient way.

Is there any kind of roadmap I should follow?

Thanks!

1-80 is pretty quick no real need to rush it or grind or anything. Best things to do while leveling is explore at least enough to find the dungeon entrances, starting with Caledon, Queensdale and Ashford Plains and the world boss spawn places at the ruined reactor in Metrica province, Godslost swamp in Queendale, near the dungeon entrance in Caledon, and near the hunter's lodge in wayfairer foothills. Those are just the ones in starter areas; there are a bunch more than that too as you level. You can keep an eye on gw2stuff.com to let you know when they are happening.

Once you hit 30 you can start doing some dungeon stories, they give nice XP and daily money for leveling.

Other than that grab some harvesting tools, stuff like softwood logs and iron ore sell for nice money on the trading post you can easily grab while exploring.

That'll provide more than enough money to get gear upgrades from the trading post as you need them.

Oh my, wat. ahahah...

GW2stuff timer seemed to accurately predict the window for both of the spawns I was at, didn't make a note of the actual times though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom