• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
It also took me a long time to do the dungeon but mainly because we just didn't know what to do. Subsequent runs I expect will be much faster. Though I will probably wait for the weekend for that.

Edit: For instance, once we all had a melee set and convinced everyone to stay close (even one person away can spell trouble), we suddenly were living a lot longer. Definitely not an "easy" fight (yet), but very doable. With enough dps, one "stun" might be all you need to kill him (being vague for sake of spoilers).

Proven

Not sure what you're referring to but to be clear, conditions still suck against structures. I'm just happy enough with the mini that my pet peeve is forgotten for now.

I thought that it was a spoiler as to the final boss of the new dungeon path. If it's just a set 1 series mini that I didn't realize was in the game, then it's my mistake.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New path is awesome. Hard, but not that hard. Eventually it will be a fast run.

Beautiful with SweetFX, colors made me feel like I was tripping.
jkCdHgLzztkRi.png

I don't think the dungeon is hard either, just a tad bit long. I was in a good group and it took about an hour forty-five to complete. Hopefully by the weekend it's runnable under an hour. My "reqards" (assholes) actually showed up later. Must've bugged out like my daily the other day. It was two gold, plus other stuff. Not bad.

Maybe by the weekend Dulfy will have the time-limited chests and stuff posted up. I would do it normally, but not under a time limit for a dungeon like this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think the dungeon is hard either, just a tad bit long. I was in a good group and it took about an hour forty-five to complete. Hopefully by the weekend it's runnable under an hour. My "reqards" (assholes) actually showed up later. Must've bugged out like my daily the other day. It was two gold, plus other stuff. Not bad.
Oh dang, I didn't realize you didn't get those. Sorry for the mockery, lol

2 gold, 60 empyreal fragments, 80 deadly blooms, and whatever via the chests.

Luigi87

So a concern regarding this new path...
It's smack dab in the middle of the living story, which I'm pretty much accepting to be the Scarlet arc.

But I imagine that ANET will eventually bring this story to a close, possibly some time next year... At that point the narrative of this path becomes out of place I guess?

I guess what I mean is it is akin to story paths in dungeons in that way.

Lunar15

Great dungeon. Fantastic! Yes, it took a while, but I think we were just learning the mechanics. None of the bosses are really giant health pools, so I think you can really get it down in time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So a concern regarding this new path...
It's smack dab in the middle of the living story, which I'm pretty much accepting to be the Scarlet arc.

But I imagine that ANET will eventually bring this story to a close, possibly some time next year... At that point the narrative of this path becomes out of place I guess?

I guess what I mean is it is akin to story paths in dungeons in that way.
Well, there are a few factors at play. In some regard, the story path for TA is already "in the past," in that the dungeon story modes are chronologically sequential and the explorable modes all follow them. But nothing notable in a narrative sense happened in the path it replaced. So yeah, I guess we can think of it "happening now" this week, and then being like Story mode once there's something that advances it.
Great dungeon. Fantastic! Yes, it took a while, but I think we were just learning the mechanics. None of the bosses are really giant health pools, so I think you can really get it down in time.
Yeah, that's the best thing. The most time was spent figuring stuff out for sure. Then on the runs we actually executed, each part was actually quite brief. We also unnaturally elongated trying to go for some achievements without the proper prep, hah. All the bosses have totally reasonable HP, even the final.

nataku

Had a group quit at the fire elementals. No one was using CC as far as I could see other than myself. Eventually the leader got pissed and left the dungeon, which kicked us all. Then everyone else left.

Well... I pugged the new dungeon my first time. 4/5 of us were first timers, the 5th hadn't beat it yet. We slowly moved along, but we ran out of time since there was an update tonight. Nothing seemed too hard, just a learning process. Not frustrating actually, had a lot of fun just learning what to do. My next time will be with GAF though.

Ashodin

Okay so Shirokazu and friends, thanks for the close aetherblade run, and I apologize for the abrupt stop. It was getting late and the wipes were coming fierce. Next time, though!

Jira

Lump and I just pugged the aether wing and man the last boss really isn't puggable if people cannot dodge the damn cogs and people were killing the guys randomly away from the boss or weren't kiting them to the boss.

Arkanius

Lump and I just pugged the aether wing and man the last boss really isn't puggable if people cannot dodge the damn cogs and people were killing the guys randomly away from the boss or weren't kiting them to the boss.

I won the last boss with a PUG
Everyone is suffering from growth pains right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay so Shirokazu and friends, thanks for the close aetherblade run, and I apologize for the abrupt stop. It was getting late and the wipes were coming fierce. Next time, though!
Aw, how far did you guys get?

With pugs (if they're listening ;)) it's probably best to just tell them not to kill the strikers at all. Long as he can be lured by someone who does know what to do they're better off just keeping themselves alive until it's damage time. Of course dodging the cogs and just learning his tells can't really be taught, just have to get that stuff over time.

Lunar15

So, the Aetherblade Retreat reminded me of Sanctuary Fortress and now Twilight Assault reminds me of Torvus Bog. Either Anet loves Metroid or that's just the best coincidence. Those are my two favorite levels in any video game ever.

Kuraine

Neo Member
So, the Aetherblade Retreat reminded me of Sanctuary Fortress and now Twilight Assault reminds me of Torvus Bog. Either Anet loves Metroid or that's just the best coincidence. Those are my two favorite levels in any video game ever.

I do love me some Metroid, but I can't say it had any direct influence over the design ;)

Really glad to hear that the conversation is focused on strategies. Makes a designer happy.

I'll probably be around today if anyone wants to let me tag along for a run.

Complistic

You guys did a crazy good job on that dungeon. Some things that really stood out for me

1. you introduced new mechanics before the boss fights, which gave us time to learn part of the fight before we even started.

2. The areas we fought in were so much larger than normal. It gave it sort of an arena type feeling. You could fight the mobs at different angles, rather than at the other end of a corridor.

3. Bosses were difficult, but not because they had a ton of health. Our party consisted of a guardian, a necro, an engineer, a mesmer, and an ele. Not exactly the current meta :p but I found the bosses were still going down fairly quickly when we really dove in at them.

4. The bonus stuff. Really cool to run around and have things to do after the dungeon for fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I do love me some Metroid, but I can't say it had any direct influence over the design ;)

Really glad to hear that the conversation is focused on strategies. Makes a designer happy.

Let you?

You are hereby required. :p Hope you're on sometime that I am tonight!

Maybe Korten can get in on this run, he sorta missed out with unlucky timing last night and he'd get a kick out of being able to run it with you.

I would really like to get in on killing Teq tonight too. We should really try guesting to NSP and seeing how we do, also. I guess we could aim to do the pre-reset one at home, and then go for the reset one an hour later on NSP? Anybody has thoughts?

edit: Oh yeah forgot to, er, you know

The dungeon is pretty damn good. Very much looking forward to honing my skills at it, and checking out the hidden stuff I missed.

Lunar15

I just mean in terms of the look and art style. I figured it was a coincidence, but man, it's an awesome one. I seriously wondered if I'd ever see environments that cool again ever since Retro stopped making Metroid games. Kudos to the art design team, those guys are consistently killing it.

Dungeon itself is great, once again, loved that the bosses were not battles of attrition. The only part that stuck out as weird to me were the hologram generators/holographic pirates. I get the mechanic, but in execution it just kind of feels weird because you're not doing anything particularly different gameplay wise, you're just killing them and having them explode near the generators. I feel like there's supposed to be a level of strategy there, but maybe I just missed it. Maybe if you had to drag certain color holograms to certain color generators... but that might get complicated.

Also, in the open area where you fight Spur, my group kind of overthought it. Because there were all those aetherblades lined up, we kind of assumed there'd be some way to take them all out, like dropping an airship on them. I guess it's the nature of how open the area is, but once we beat the boss and started the optional objectives, the open nature of that area made complete sense. Optional objectives are a fantastic idea.

Ah well, that's extraordinarily nitpicky. At the very least, none of the mechanics were annoying, and there weren't any parts of the dungeon where I felt you had to just "cheese" it. The wider, open arenas with doors(!!!) is a great idea that makes you focus on each battle instead of just running.

Levyne

Banned
I really want to try the dungeon again, because we lost a lot of time fighting the final boss "the wrong way". Some of us in the group were pretty sure we know what needed to be done but it took a few wipes to get everyone to commit to trying something different. (As soon as we did it only took like 2 additional tries to down him, albeit by the skin of our teeth.)

I don't have a lot of time to dick around in dungeons anymore, though, outside of the weekend, so I'll have to limit to one go or fewer per day.

Lunar15

I really want to try the dungeon again, because we lost a lot of time fighting the final boss "the wrong way". Some of us in the group were pretty sure we know what needed to be done but it took a few wipes to get everyone to commit to trying something different. (As soon as we did it only took like 2 additional tries to down him, albeit by the skin of our teeth.)

I don't have a lot of time to dick around in dungeons anymore, though, outside of the weekend, so I'll have to limit to one go or fewer per day.

Same exact situation here. Our group first followed what Caithe said and stuck to melee only in order to avoid the gears, but the boss kept completely wrecking us. So then we switched to ranged and had a lot better results, except we'd get to a point where the gears were obliterating us. Finally we settled on a hybrid where we'd used ranged when he had his shield, and short range when we took that down. Once we did this the fight was easy as cake.

We had a ton of wipes, that's for sure. Big props to my party for being really patient and optimistic. I don't know about the rest of the party, but I had a lot of fun spending time figuring it out. It never really felt unfair, just that we were missing something. That's the kind of encounters I like.

Also, someone else mentioned it, but I totally agree that introducing mechanics (such as kiting the ooze) BEFORE using it in a boss battle was fantastic.

Not a fan of the new dungeon because of the lenght.

I barely run Fractals because they can take forever.

This is why Cof 1 is still the king of dungeon IMO, even if we've all ran it a million times.

Lunar15

I'll be honest, I'm at a point in the game where I really don't want or need anything. I have the characters I like and they're geared with what I want. I don't need to grind for anything in particular. I could go for ascended, but I don't care that much. So for me, I'd rather have a longer dungeon with fascinating mechanics that's fun to play than something I can grind for quick gold. Also, for what it's worth, I don't think this dungeon is that long. I think what took the longest was just all of our wipes. I think an experienced group could knock this one out fairly quick.

I'll be honest, I'm at a point in the game where I really don't want or need anything. I have the characters I like and they're geared with what I want. I don't need to grind for anything in particular. I could go for ascended, but I don't care that much. So for me, I'd rather have a longer dungeon with fascinating mechanics that's fun to play than something I can grind for quick gold. Also, for what it's worth, I don't think this dungeon is that long. I think what took the longest was just all of our wipes. I think an experienced group could knock this one out fairly quick.

Totally agree with you. All the bosses have prefect amount of health and it really does not take long to take them down. The stuff that is happening around you during the fights with bosses is the only thing that is difficult but will become much easier as we get better at the runs.

I'd rather get better at mechanics than just run through stuff and dps, dps, dps.

Shout out to my team from last night: Ursa (Lunar15) Kharu, Siafra (Complistic), Cuppanova & Floobit (Brett_Weir on GAF I think)

PS. Siafra was really bad at dpsing and stacking!

Levyne

Banned
Basically, if you melee him, make sure that he is not between the center and you so that his pick up does next to nothing, and use the tells to avoid his attacks, it seems like it could potentially be a very quick fight. Just if you need a holo and blow it up one centimeter away from where it can hit him and then the next is across the whole room,that can spell a lot of trouble. Why I feel it's best to go in with a lot of dps and need only one or maybe two.

One thing that could potentially be done is make sure everyone has an invuln and stability, then if his stack does get full, you can just eat it and remove the buff that way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

This is why Cof 1 is still the king of dungeon IMO, even if we've all ran it a million times.
*shrug* I actually think CoF1 is a really solid path, but that's not really because it's ludicrously short, it just happens to be. It's good that there are things throughout the game of many different lengths and levels of commitment required. Once we get better at it I think the new TA path will actually be a very enjoyable daily run.

Same exact situation here. Our group first followed what Caithe said and stuck to melee only in order to avoid the gears, but the boss kept completely wrecking us. So then we switched to ranged and had a lot better results, except we'd get to a point where the gears were obliterating us. Finally we settled on a hybrid where we'd used ranged when he had his shield, and short range when we took that down. Once we did this the fight was easy as cake.
I can't imagine what possible advantage there could be for melee while his shield is up, but it's DEFINITELY good when it's down. Learning the tells makes him a lot less threatening. Knowing where the platforms are for the electricity as well. The stray gears are definitely the toughest part of the fight, if you get downed near one it's just a bloodbath.
Also, someone else mentioned it, but I totally agree that introducing mechanics (such as kiting the ooze) BEFORE using it in a boss battle was fantastic.
Old school learning-by-doing, can't get enough.
All of this times five thousand. Even when it comes to the the stuff I do want, such as fleshing out two more sets/specs for my Ele, I'm going about it a kind of leisurely exploratory pace even though I could afford to knock it all out in an hour at this point. I guess if I really wanted a legendary badly I would have a lot still before me to "work toward," but I'm not that into any of the current ones.

It's a testament to GW2's moment-to-moment gameplay design, combat, and controls that I can still enjoy running COF1 at all after the 744th time when it has essentially become rote. Hell Cravens has substantially more achievement points than either of us, even more impressive.

But with new releases coming at a rapid pace, when "getting stuff" isn't really a primary concern for me anymore, I value content that is fun, interesting, challenging and finally rewarding, in descending order of importance.

If something isn't fun for me, I'll simply ignore it altogether (i.e. looking for dragon teeth one by one).
If it's fun and interesting but not challenging, I'll play and enjoy it and help others with it if needed, but have no desire to repeat it personally (I'd offer Scarlet's Playhouse as a good example of this).
If it's fun, interesting and challenging, I'll play, enjoy and repeat it gladly simply for the sake of the challenge; even if that means knowing I'll need to block out a couple hours to learn a new hard dungeon path or help coordinate 80 plus members of SBI to take down a boss. I'll play this kind of stuff as often as I feel like it until I get bored, regardless of the rewards. (Spent a TON of time replaying various fights in the Queen's Gauntlet on different characters, unrelated to Deadeye farming.)
Content that meets the final criterion of "rewarding" just ends up becoming part of the "stuff I do when I login" to play the game on a regular basis.

Short, rewarding content is already in abundant supply throughout the game and they aren't averse to adding more of that kind of thing with LS releases either (Crown Pavilion). There's nothing wrong with more stuff like this coming too.

So for me, I'd rather have a longer dungeon with fascinating mechanics that's fun to play than something I can grind for quick gold.
They could've still shorten it by removing stuff like the holoproject parts, aether trash + steam machine and Slur boss (boring fight). Ooze and Pillars are alright.

Lunar15

While they've really only been about one thing each (Teq and Assault), the last two updates have really shown substantial devotion from Anet in terms of "getting it right". Both have been huge steps forward in world encounters and dungeon design.

Quite frankly, it comes down to the fact that both events kill the "cheese". Both get you to do what the game wants you to do, while still letting you be flexible about how you tackle it. That's great design.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the game's previous content: it was all about quantity before. They wanted to have a massive amount of stuff scattered throughout the world with constant things to do and they absolutely nailed that concept. Then the team had to shift gears to start pumping out the constant living story updates. But now, with the last two updates, I feel that the team has narrowed their focus into sheer core gameplay improvement. The next update includes a balance update as well, and I expect that to flow greatly with the recent focus on strengthening mechanics.

But it's a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand, the last two updates have inspired nothing but confidence from me for the current direction of the game's design. But on the other, it kind of kills me that this stuff is coming out in a drip-feed fashion. I get it and I understand, but it doesn't make it feel less weird. I think Seda brought it up before, but I agreed with him that I almost want to see this stellar content come out in some form of expansion, because it would completely revitalize the game.

Arkanius

There is one thing I absolutely loved in this dungeon, well apart from the dungeon.
The cutscenes.

I love this style of cutscenes. The last part when the Lionsguard do the dynamic entry on the dungeon was superb. I wonder why we don't have more active cutscenes like these. Guild Wars 1 was full of them. Queens Jubilee had a change with the painted cutscene, which was good as well (Like the intro's, I love the intro's). But I think doing all the cutscenes as a dialogue between two characters is a bit bland.

Good job on it, I had fun today... for the 4 hours I spent in the dungeon!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
God I hate Dark Reverie puzzle. The last jumps are fucking hard and you have to run all over again if you die (especially when the gate closes).

Speaking of puzzles, do "finished" puzzles still count for monthly/daily even though I have obtained its achievement?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I won't argue about the "one thing each" thing at all, but even the more minor changes in the preceding patch show a bit of the same "cheese-killing." The new Golem really makes you pay attention and keep moving. I admit with shame that I was actually killed at the Fire Elemental yesterday, for the first time since like level 5. Just got complacent, forgot there were actual threats now. I am also hoping that the coming balance patch sort of continues the trend of core improvement.

I definitely know what you mean about the drip-feed though. We've seen two very good patches, both very limited in scope. I'd pay for an expansion in a heartbeat of course, but I think I'd be really interested in seeing them try a sort of in-between thing first, where they just had a much broader release within the confines of the living story that added a bunch of different stuff all at once, still below the scope of an expansion but obviously still for free.

There's a lot going on there anyway... I guess in theory it shouldn't be impacting the living story rotation teams but the China launch has to be siphoning off spare dev cycles left and right. They've also confirmed on the forums a few times recently that they're working on the tracking/catch-up/UI systems for the Living Story as well which is probably a bit of an undertaking. So we'll see.

edit: I thought these were the best cutscenes so far as well.
God I hate Dark Reverie puzzle. The last jumps are fucking hard and you have to run all over again if you die (especially when the gate closes).

Speaking of puzzles, do "finished" puzzles still count for monthly/daily even though I have obtained its achievement?
Yes. Do the 3 in LA if you're in need :p

Dark Reverie should only be attempted with buddies. :p

Jira

We haven’t revealed her motive yet. I can understand the confusion and/or frustration surrounding that so we’re looking at ways to accelerate the plot and implement some features that will make it easier to track Living World content. The first phase of that system will be implemented before the end of the year.

Lunar15

One thing to make note of, storywise, is that Scarlet has now exploited the pasts of two Destiny's Edge members. First was when she had the fake Rytlock bring up more private parts of his feud with Logan. Now she's using Caithe's secrets against her. It's safe to say she she knows a great deal about Destiny's Edge and is targeting them specifically.

Also, total tangent: Now that Gnashblade is not on the council, I'd love to see a living story update with him involved. He's a fun character.

Final Tangent: Only thing I don't like about this update is that this is two Aetherblade dungeons in a row. Kinda gettin' tired of those guys.

Final Tangent: Only thing I don't like about this update is that this is two Aetherblade dungeons in a row. Kinda gettin' tired of those guys.

At least they are much easier to kill.

If I could give ANET some feed back I would tell them that if they stick to the Living Story and 2 week updates I think they should make the arcs much shorter 1 month to a maximum 2 months, instead of how long it has been now since everything started.

I have a feeling Scarlet is going to be around for a long time, especially since the Invasions and this new path will not make much sense if she isn't around anymore. I don't really know if I like that or not right now.

Arkanius

One thing to make note of, storywise, is that Scarlet has now exploited the pasts of two Destiny's Edge members. First was when she had the fake Rytlock bring up more private parts of his feud with Logan. Now she's using Caithe's secrets against her. It's safe to say she she knows a great deal about Destiny's Edge and is targeting them specifically.

Also, total tangent: Now that Gnashblade is not on the council, I'd love to see a living story update with him involved. He's a fun character.

Know who I would love to see return?
Mursaat and the White Mantle

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, they LOVE the Aetherblade mobs. They're not bad mechanically, but this should be it. A final Molten Alliance stronghold wouldn't be out of line, they're fun to fight.

I desperately want Mursaat/White Mantle/Shining Blade intrigue but I'm not getting my hopes up for it to happen soon.

jersoc

I'm with you, dungeons should be 30 mins max. They should be, I have an hour and I want to do something, type thing.

This is why I don't care for this patch at all. Shame no halloween stuff made it in, but that was expected.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
I'm with you, dungeons should be 30 mins max. They should be, I have an hour and I want to do something, type thing.

This is why I don't care for this patch at all. Shame no halloween stuff made it in, but that was expected.
Really 30 mins wow that's what fractals are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom