• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrounceX

I think Anet made this switch less for people who play GvG and more so that there'd be more space for people who actually want to play WvW.

Look, I think Anet should have put in a GvG mode from the get go, but I don't blame them for being bitter towards people who fuck up their perfectly good mode by going off into a corner to have their little contests.

I'm actually very angry at you for believing this. I understand that you're very intelligent and I usually enjoy reading your posts, but you are clearly clueless when it comes to WvW. So please just stop.

Shiokazu

Vil here, tired and beaten to the core.

sorry for dropping so sudden, i had girlfriend aggro, i hope you guys can deal with that bitch alone :(

it was fun arah p4, reaching out to the truth for 6 straight hours with the gaf.

;-; best guild EVER

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also I hate to do this but I totally called this announcement a couple days ago.
Can't hate it that much heh. Leak was very close. Guess it makes sense to modify the existing jp map. I am glad I will no longer risk scolding for accidentally interrupting duels in any event.

edit:
Got a pug that could do it... got her down to about 20%, and D/Ced

Lunar15

I'm actually very angry at you for believing this. I understand that you're very intelligent and I usually enjoy reading your posts, but you are clearly clueless when it comes to WvW. So please just stop.

Eh, I'm being out of line for no good reason. I know when I'm being a dick, and this is one of those times.

I dunno, GvG in WvW always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, hence the little 'tude there. But then again, I guess you're right in that I don't really play WvW enough to have an opinion on it. Am I wrong in thinking people who are fighting in GvG matches are taking up slots in a WvW map though? Legitimate question now.

markot

Banned
Eh, I'm being out of line. I know when I'm being a dick.

I dunno, GvG in WvW always bothered me a bit. But then again, I guess you're right in that I don't really play WvW enough to have an opinion on it. Am I wrong in thinking people who are fighting in GvG matches are taking up slots in a WvW map though? Legitimate question now.
Course they are.

MoonGred

Hey guys,

Despite having the game since launch I've barely touched it. The biggest reason for this is that I don't interact with anyone, and hate joining a completely random guild.
I want to give it another go, and join a guild. I've just got a couple of questions that i hope you guys can help with.
I'm on "sea of sorrow", I know you can join a guild from different worlds, but are there any big restrictions? I've read that you can change worlds, but I'd have to delete my chars (which are low level, but I spent 15$ orso and I don't really want to lose that).

I've been taking a bit of a break from WvWvW this week, mostly because work is completely exhausting at the moment. Since we're EU #1 and ANet have decided to allow free transfers to our server (yay for medium population), after a long day of supporting complaining researchers I can't really be bothered with the in-game drama that happened last time.

So I've been PvEing a bit. I've pugged TA story mode a couple of times with different characters (on days when there were achievements for it). I think the LFG tool in this game works pretty well - both times we went through with a minimum of drama. There's just not the level of nasty tension from PUGs you get in other games. There is no loot drama so that's gone, but also with no roles you don't need to freak out so much that your group will have a terribad healer or tank.

Which brings me to my question: If I rock up to an instance with my bunker ranger, is this likely to piss people off?

Arkanius

Vil here, tired and beaten to the core.

sorry for dropping so sudden, i had girlfriend aggro, i hope you guys can deal with that bitch alone :(

it was fun arah p4, reaching out to the truth for 6 straight hours with the gaf.

;-; best guild EVER

6 hours?
Jesus

Half ot the major guilds on my server (Underworld) have left. haha.

I've spendt 70% of my time in PvE, dungeons, LS, events, crafting and only 30% in WvW but WvW is the star mode of GW2. It is the thing that causes drama.

Once WvW becomes better for the defender type, it should be a lot more fun.

jersoc

Hey guys,

Despite having the game since launch I've barely touched it. The biggest reason for this is that I don't interact with anyone, and hate joining a completely random guild.
I want to give it another go, and join a guild. I've just got a couple of questions that i hope you guys can help with.
I'm on "sea of sorrow", I know you can join a guild from different worlds, but are there any big restrictions? I've read that you can change worlds, but I'd have to delete my chars (which are low level, but I spent 15$ orso and I don't really want to lose that).

you can guest over if you want. you just won't be able to do wvw if you're into that thing, with the guild. dungeons you dont even need to guest to join.

Hey guys,

Only restriction is World vs World. You can do everything else with us by guesting to SBI.
Post you accountname.#### and I'll send you an invite when I log on.

leng jai

Path 4 can be done in around 1.5 hours if everyone is familiar with the path and know what they're doing. Simin is just a disaster with the buggy kiting mechanic and not enough DPS.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Path 4 can be done in around 1.5 hours if everyone is familiar with the path and know what they're doing. Simin is just a disaster with the buggy kiting mechanic and not enough DPS.
The group I got DCed from had a bit of a different strategy. You can pile up a stockpile of tears in one spot before engaging, and we just had two people collect the sparks.

leng jai

The group I got DCed from had a bit of a different strategy. You can pile up a stockpile of tears in one spot before engaging, and we just had two people collect the sparks.

You only need 2 people to get the sparks because you can just round them up at each side with one person.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You only need 2 people to get the sparks because you can just round them up at each side with one person.
Yeah, that's what we did and there's a safe spot the other three can stand to avoid aggro from them while keeping each other unpetrified.

Retro

Get as angry as you want, he's still right. Because WvW has a cap on how many players can participate at once, 20 people off in a corner doing GvG when there's a queue means there are 20 people who aren't getting in to play the game mode as it was intended and as it should be played. If you can't see that, clearly you are clueless when it comes to simple math.

Hey guys,

As others have said, since you're on a NA server, you're free to guest as often as you want for all game-modes except WvW. If that's an important part of the game for you, you can still pay gems to transfer over. But if you're just looking to do dungeons, world events and such, then guesting should be no problem. Regardless of which option you choose, you can still be a member of GAF and at least have the social aspect. The only thing you might be missing out on are Guild Buffs, but I think they fixed that.

Levyne

Banned
I've been taking a bit of a break from WvWvW this week, mostly because work is completely exhausting at the moment. Since we're EU #1 and ANet have decided to allow free transfers to our server (yay for medium population), after a long day of supporting complaining researchers I can't really be bothered with the in-game drama that happened last time.

So I've been PvEing a bit. I've pugged TA story mode a couple of times with different characters (on days when there were achievements for it). I think the LFG tool in this game works pretty well - both times we went through with a minimum of drama. There's just not the level of nasty tension from PUGs you get in other games. There is no loot drama so that's gone, but also with no roles you don't need to freak out so much that your group will have a terribad healer or tank.

Which brings me to my question: If I rock up to an instance with my bunker ranger, is this likely to piss people off?

If you bring any Ranger people will debate whether to kick you or not.

Ceres

Banned
I'm going to get my Guardian to Cursed Shore so she can do ARAH. Ranger pet was turned off that entire Dwayna fight after I forgot to during one of the spark parts. I had been flipping it off and on but was a pain. Devs need to play this game as ranger and see how broken the profession is for a lot of their boss designs where agro and kiting is a big deal. With the pet turned off we lose a lot of DPS for a boss where you need as much DPS as possible.

We should do an all ranger GAF group!

Lunar15

Only reason I was miffed about it last night was because I got some nasty comments from a group that was dueling in WvW. It was very very early on when I started playing, long before I even joined GAF Guild, and I had no idea that people even dueled. I saw enemies attacking an ally, so I attacked. I got a ton of nasty whispers. It just left a really bad taste in my mouth for the people who do that kind of thing.

I know that those people being rude are not a reflection of the GvG group as a whole, but I still don't like the practice itself. There's only two times when I've been mad at the community. The above example was the first time, and the scarlet invasions were the second time. I'm the kind of guy who likes doing things as they're intended, and I get upset when not everyone plays along. It's bitter, petty, and quite childish.

That being said, I still do think that GvG is played to the detriment of WvW, unless I can be told otherwise. It distracts from the intention of the mode and prevents those who truly want to participate from doing so. And believe me, I understand how much it stinks. I've wanted real GvG content for a long time, and I think Anet entirely dropped the ball in not providing it. It's like with the Invasions: its ultimately Anet's fault. I don't blame GvG'ers and those pirate farmers for doing what they do. The fact that they do them means there's a demand for that kind of content. It's Anet's fault for not realizing that their design encourages that behavior and that they're doing a poor job of accommodating it.

Anywho, there was no call for the snark. Any more and I would have fit right in on the official forums, oh ho ho!

Levyne

Banned
The problem is multi faceted.

First off, Rangers do not share boons well outside of Regen, Swiftness, and maybe Fury but even that is behind the stupid long cool down of Warhorn 5.

And while other classes, speaking in skeleton terms here, have utilities or traits that support the "self" or the party, the Ranger has both of those lists shortened by having to allocate a lot of them to the "pet".

And sure, that's understandable. Every class has traits or abilities tied to their class mechanic. But for other classe, these are still clearly "self" or "party". Guardian virtues help everyone. Elementalist attunements can be traited to help the party. Warrior adrenaline helps him on the self.

But sooo many Ranger traits read like

Your pet gains might when you x
Your pet draws conditions
Your pet has regen
Your pet gets enlarged when y
Your pet takes an incoming cc

And that all falls into some realm the player has minimal control over. Oh yeah, and the pet dies a lot. I mean, you can trait 30 into BM to help, but that is an extremely high opportunity cost for when the pet dies anyway and now half your damage AND 30 of your trait points are lying dead on the floor.

And sure, a good Ranger can micromanage their pet out of trouble sometimes, but the more time you worry about sending/heeling your pet in and out, the less time the pet is actually doing something other than running around.

You could run devourers or bears which survive longer and require less management, but then you are dealing with crappy utility and pitiful damage, respectfully.

Oh yeah, this leaks into weapin abilities too!. The +50 pet damage on GS 5 will do nothing if the pet is dead. The weakness application on axe 3 won't happen if the pet is dead.

And I'm ignoring the spirits, which ate extremely niche in their use, unrelated to pets!

So many Rangers will gear/trait in a way that minimalizes the pet entirely. Which pigeon holes them into a tiny set of viable builds.

I've been using the LFG tool a bit. It works well. All of the groups I've been in but one or two have been really cool and very un-pug-ish.

Was hoping for a Story Time blog post to give us some back story about the relation ship between Mad King Thorn and Bloody Prince Thorn but maybe they will release something like after the update comes out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been using the LFG tool a bit. It works well. All of the groups I've been in but one or two have been really cool and very un-pug-ish.
They're improving over time, too. At first I noticed a lot of outright misuse of the system, but the last five groups I've been in were very precise. I was very impressed with the 2-vetean, 2-newbie bandaid group I got for Simin after the GAF group fell totally apart, which made it all the more rage-inducing when in the middle of heading for victory I froze and DCed.

Ceres

Banned
Until last night I would have had no idea how impressive this was O_O

I would like to get Arah path 4 done tonight. I didn't really care when I managed it but after getting so close, it's the only thing I will be doing until I get it. Is anyone in?

I should have time tonight and tomorrow. I just need to get my guardian to that map tonight.

Kite

I think Anet made this switch less for people who play GvG and more so that there'd be more space for people who actually want to play WvW.
I've seen a fully upgraded garrison get taken because the guild that was supposed to be in charge of the home bl was gvging and couldn't be bothered to call it in teamspeak. Ignoring the fact as to why one would gvg on your own bl when it is such a long run back to windmill.. get the gvgers off the map so people who actually want to fight can do so without taking up map slots.

Levyne

Banned
Some of those ranger dps dnt videos are pretty nuts. Pretty happy with the dungeon build I run now, though, lots of dps without having to worry about the composition of everyone else in the party.

markot

Banned
WHATS THE DEAL?!

With warriors that I cant seem to hurt at all but do lots of damage to me!?

With thieves that seem to have infinite stealths?!

With, well thats it now.

TrounceX

Get as angry as you want, he's still right. Because WvW has a cap on how many players can participate at once, 20 people off in a corner doing GvG when there's a queue means there are 20 people who aren't getting in to play the game mode as it was intended and as it should be played. If you can't see that, clearly you are clueless when it comes to simple math.

Hah, so now you're the one telling other people how to play the game. How ironic considering you got on my case for suggesting that WvW players on SBI should elevate their game in order to stay competitive in the higher tiers, and that doing so would be a fun and rewarding experience.

Look, at the end of the day it is a sandbox and players can do whatever they want to do, period.

Also you (and not just you, many GvG haters) are operating under a lot of false pretenses, which immediately discredit your opinion.

First of all, there is an etiquette to GvG that any respectable guild follows.

1. You do not GvG during NA prime
2. You do not GvG on your own borderlands or on a full map
3. You do not GvG if the match is close
4. You are expected to respond to attacks on important objectives (keeps/garri usually)
5. If possible, leave a PUG commander roaming the map.

Ok, so obviously those are the ideal conditions and cannot all be met every single time, but that is the general idea. Sure some guild at some time might not follow the rules, but that's the same with anything. You can't hate on all GvG just because a moronic guild yelled at you or something.

Also consider that we go to the windmill to stay out of the way. Consider how easily guilds could just run tagless and clash into each other whenever they happen to meet. How is that any different? Who is to say that organized guilds absolutely must be attempting to take objectives at all times (playing the game right according to you?) Would they just be taking up queue space too? How about solo roamers, or gank squads, or people going for map completion?

Exactly.

Now I'm going to drop it after this post, so Lunar and Retro, we'll probably never see eye to eye on this issue, but believe me when I tell you that the hardcore WvW community is full of reasonable people, and we're not all out to ruin your good times.

xeris

Hah, so now you're the one telling other people how to play the game. How ironic considering you got on my case for suggesting that WvW players on SBI should elevate their game in order to stay competitive in the higher tiers, and that doing so would be a fun and rewarding experience.

Look, at the end of the day it is a sandbox and players can do whatever they want to do, period.

Also you (and not just you, many GvG haters) are operating under a lot of false pretenses, which immediately discredit your opinion.

First of all, there is an etiquette to GvG that any respectable guild follows.

1. You do not GvG during NA prime
2. You do not GvG on your own borderlands or on a full map
3. You do not GvG if the match is close
4. You are expected to respond to attacks on important objectives (keeps/garri usually)
5. If possible, leave a PUG commander roaming the map.

Ok, so obviously those are the ideal conditions and cannot all be met every single time, but that is the general idea. Sure some guild at some time might not follow the rules, but that's the same with anything. You can't hate on all GvG just because a moronic guild yelled at you or something.

Also consider that we go to the windmill to stay out of the way. Consider how easily guilds could just run tagless and clash into each other whenever they happen to meet. How is that any different? Who is to say that organized guilds absolutely must be attempting to take objectives at all times (playing the game right according to you?) Would they just be taking up queue space too? How about solo roamers, or gank squads, or people going for map completion?

Exactly.

Now I'm going to drop it after this post, so Lunar and Retro, we'll probably never see eye to eye on this issue, but believe me when I tell you that the hardcore WvW community is full of reasonable people, and we're not all out to ruin your good times.

None of those people you list are a problem. The problem is gvg and duelers who get pissed off when someone interrupts their little wankfest. It's nice and all you go to an out of the way place, but really why bother? I mean it's all about you and your fun right? I realize the hard core wvw types don't want casuals buggering up their game and all.

Levyne

Banned
I agree with you, Chase. Most gvg groups try to leave the smallest footprint possible, and from what I've seen, other guilds interested in watching will tend to say in say chat "gvg" or such to passerbys so they know not to interfere. From what I've seen most try to be as considerate, and if you accidentally interrupt, I can't imagine a simply "Oops, I didn't realize, sorry" would hurt or go ignored.

Some people enjoy griefing the shit out of the matches though. Will probably still be an issue in the Sanctum.

xeris

I agree with you, Chase. Most gvg groups try to leave the smallest footprint possible, and from what I've seen, other guilds interested in watching will tend to say in say chat "gvg" or such to passerbys so they know not to interfere. From what I've seen most try to be as considerate, and if you accidentally interrupt, I can't imagine a simply "Oops, I didn't realize, sorry" would hurt or go ignored.

Some people enjoy griefing the shit out of the matches though. Will probably still be an issue in the Sanctum.

What's the problem with 'griefing' gvg'ers? They're doing it in an open area and as TrounceX said it's a sandbox. So by definition they can't be griefed. GvG'ers have no right to be offended if someone ignores their little side game if they're doing it in an open and public area. Hopefully this new area will give them a seperate area where they can go and not bother people trying to do wvw.

Levyne

Banned
Well sure, one would have the right to. I can't think of an easier way to piss off people on all three of the current match-ups servers, though.

Lunar15

I think you misunderstand. I dislike GvG for the fact that it takes up slots during WvW. It's a distraction from the main game. I understand that they want to leave as little footprint as possible, and that there's an entire ettiquite about it, but one can't deny that it still impacts WvW in a negative way. As I said, however, this is Anet's fault. This is why they moved GvG to somewhere off the map: I guarantee you in Anet's eyes, it's not to help GvG but to help WvW. Whether that's a good mindset to have, as a developer, is up to you.

The times when I've been bitched at simply made my opinion more hostile and more personal, but didn't make me form that opinion in the first place. Ultimately, it's the activity I have beef with, not the people. The attitude comes from the personal experience.

TrounceX

What's the problem with 'griefing' gvg'ers? They're doing it in an open area and as TrounceX said it's a sandbox. So by definition they can't be griefed. GvG'ers have no right to be offended if someone ignores their little side game if they're doing it in an open and public area. Hopefully this new area will give them a seperate area where they can go and not bother people trying to do wvw.

Ok now you're just being purposefully obtuse.

xeris

Well sure, one would have the right to. I can't think of an easier way to piss off people on all three of the current match-ups servers, though.

To which I say they have exactly zero right to be pissed off under the current setup. But then these are the same people that don't want us casuals or newbies in wvw in the first place, just the same people over and over.

Retro

I'm not telling anyone how to play the game, I'm merely pointing out that every GvG player in the World vs. World mode is potentially occupying a space that could be filled by someone who wants to play World vs. World. People can do whatever they want, but that doesn't change the fact that GvG players are effectively squatting in WvW mode whenever they play their little meta-game.

Also, I never suggested people shouldn't play better or try to get into the higher tiers, merely that it was undesirable to me and to a lot of players on SBI (as per their community meetings, I can dig up the minutes from the various meetings they had where this was stated explicitly.)

Ok now you're just being purposefully obtuse.

He's right though; if the "It's a sandbox, you're allowed to do whatever you want!" excuse can be used to justify GvG, then it can also be used to justify hunting down GvGers.

It's all a moot point anyways since this new area is basically everything GvGers want, away from where it doesn't affect the WvW players, so everybody wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom