• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Gold League, eh? I'm pretty freaking intrigued. Best way to dispel ignorance is through discovery!

Ugh, but I told myself I was going to play less. We'll see what happens.

Shiokazu

Slaughtered Simin pretty handily this time. Felt good taking her down. Good work Arah P4 team.

Lyssa was pretty lulzy with that glitch.

all the lulz that fight.

so... in the end we FACE'D OUT! WE HELD OUT! WE REACHED OUT TO THE TRUTH OF LIVE, SEEKING TO SEIZE ON THE WHOLE MOMENT YEAH.

like that, but with less yellows.

Mxrz

It bugs me to see 15/20/40 vs 15/20/40 being called GvG. Just feels wrong. In my mind GvG will always 8v8. I'd love for ANet to make a map off to the side for people to have at it, but I doubt that will be the end of it. Right now it seems the more disruptive you are the more get what you want.

GW gvg in its prime was a beautiful thing. Every single player's individual skill came into it, and you could debate who was the best at what role, and which teams played which builds the best. Admittedly I haven't followed sPvP anywhere near that, so maybe its there still and i just haven't had the chance to see it.

Jira

I have mixed feelings about being in gold league. We now stand zero chances of actually placing first in our league and will probably get shit consolation prizes for placing last in gold versus awesome stuff for 1st in silver. GG SBI.

TrounceX

Things I noticed tonight:

The good:

• SBI has grown A LOT. Massive, massive, T1-esque numbers on SBI BL tonight.
  • Open field movement was pretty good.
  • Great use of twin, or sometimes even tri-headed hammer/anvil hits
The bad:

• Your builds and overall group composition are not yet up to par.
  • Frankly, you got played like a fiddle in regards to reset night tactics. We doubled your score while losing in ppt, and kept all your towers/keeps paper while upgrading ours. What this means is our Sea can go full offensive tonight, and unless you have a massive Sea force, this match will be over by morning.
  • You need to walk yaks, you need to fight for the middle, you need havoc squads, and you will not win by full-forcing single objectives.

Overall it was a really fun night though and I was mostly impressed by what I saw. I think you guys could give TC a run for their money. Also realize that this is what WvW looks like in T1 every single night, and we will be coming for you like this 24/7 until next week. Get ready.

Jira

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...ag-and-server-optimizations/first#post3009538

Part 1:

To clarify some common questions:

What does optimization mean in terms of the original post?
I’m working primarily on server-side (as mentioned in the title) optimizations. Not to say that this doesn’t have some smaller impact on the client, which I mentioned in posts elsewhere that there will some client-side gains as the changes rollout. Client-side changes are being worked on completely seperate and will release seperately and, sadly, slower. I’m not going to get into the client-side portion of our optimization initiative, because I’m not directly involved with what we have going on there.
What exactly do these server-side optimizations do?
As pointed out above, they will mostly be noticeable with latency in skill execution in heavy battles. I mentioned WvW being a benefactor because that has one of the most consistently dense battles going on. That’s not to say that this won’t be noticeable in other parts of the game; it most definitely will.
Though server CPU usage is the biggest factor here, there are other optimizations as part of the changes going on. Bandwidth is another thing that plagues players with slower internet connections. That is something that we’re actively rolling out changes for, with the next set of changes coming at the end of October.
Removes the bottleneck in almost all of the game systems. Most of what goes on in the game is processed on the server, including combat, skills and movement. When this bottleneck is relieved, the changes will pretty much speak for themselves. A common example goes back to skill usage where in heavy battles, you press and skill key, but that skill never fires or your auto-attack skill fires instead.

Part 2:

Moving onto a few specific questions:
Q: My 1st question is : Can you be more specific of what “optimization” means and will it affect the skills as we know it by any negative way ?
A: These changes will go unnoticed functionality-wise. The only changes will be positive in that skill usage will be constantly more responsive.

Q: My Second question is : Wasn’t all these problems caused because you have to broadcast every single condition/buff to everyone which is currently pushing your systems and servers/internet to its limits ?
A: This is a good question. Buffs are a large part of Guild Wars 2 and at first glance you’d definitely think that telling everyone about them would be really expensive. In reality, this is only a hit with server->client traffic, which has been significantly improved with the handful of bandwidth optimizations that have already gone out. As far as server processing, its pretty minuscule (thankfully).

Q: My 3rd question is :If you ever have a solution to this are there any plans to lift the AoE Limit for both WvW/PvE/PvP because thats why this AoE limit exist in 1st place Isn’t skill delay in big battles (WvW or PvE like Taco) a direct result of those?
A: <<< The AoE hit limits exist for more than just performance reasons. We already have a lot of places in the game where AoE limits are extremely high (WvW siege) or uncapped (monster skills). The last thing we want to do is relieve one problem only to introduce it somewhere else.

Q: When you say “optimization”, do you mean making your engine more compatible for multi-core systems? Right now your game’s engine runs primarily on single-thread, which Intel CPU’s seem to thrive on; while at the same time your game’s engine is poorly designed for multi-thread CPU’s, which AMD is best at.
A: As I outlined above, this is mostly server changes that I’m involved with, but there are client optimizations in the works, but we don’t know when those will go out. Optimizing is extremely dangerous and requires a lot of testing. The server side changes are more controlled in the sense that we don’t have to worry about testing on different hardware configurations like with the client. Its unfortunate, but necessary to ensure that the changes don’t end up doing more harm than good.

The engine isn’t as single-threaded as you might think. It will only use as many threads as your machine can support. if you have a 4 core processor, you may only get 2 threads plus an additional 2 worker threads for processing things like animation. Though I we are definitely looking at other ways to improve other game systems to take better advantage of using multiple threads while they’re not in use.

Q: You said that when that patch note comes through, expect a very different WvW experience. should we expect to see these optimization on 15th October? or was that just writer’s freedom of speech?
A: I Apologize for any misunderstanding here. But the answer to this is no, there isn’t really anything of note coming next week. Though I did I have large hand in the skill and combat related changes coming in that release . We definitely do have a few things that’ll help, but most likely won’t be noticeable.

Q: Thank you but what about client side optimizations? We were promised some major engine/client side optimizations to improve our fps in WvW 6~ months ago, has this project been dropped because I haven’t seen anything regarding client performance since then
A: Again, like I mentioned above we are working on client changes, but they are on a much slower release cadence and have to go through a rigorous test cycle before ever being on deck for release. Patrick, the slayer of culling, is a large part of these changes that’re being cooked up.

To respond to the large response by Demosthene.2195:
The idea for having some sort of central location or “issue tracker” as you mentioned, I think there’s definitely something there. I think that central location would make sense to be on the Guild Wars 2 launcher itself, which from what I understand is going through a makeover. I think that’s definitely something for the Community team to investigate.

The rest of your post starting going off-topic. I will say that I want to make sure that people realize that we don’t always have the time to respond to every question, concern and issue that arises, even though we would love to. I constantly say how I try to be more involved and transparent with you guys, but obviously I don’t have the ability to spend time on the forums every day. We love our player-base and appreciate how passionate they are. Your feedback doesn’t go unnoticed, even if it seems like it does.

Also, thanks for the links, that’s really cool to see other developers be so open with their player-base about issues.

Part 3:

So what am I working on besides ensuring player skills are efficient? Well with our two week release cadence, I work along-side our shiny new Technical Design team and Living World teams to ensure their content is efficient. I’m also constantly exploring other ways to improve the game, which led me to something that I literally just finished wrapping up today. This change will go directly into testing early next week, which will then help us determine how significant it is and when we are comfortable enough to push it to the Live game. I’m really optimistic about this change in particular; seeing massive drops in server load .

In closing, I want to let you guys know what the release plans are for optimizing the game server. To put it simply, the plan is changing almost every day. We have the ability to ship changes whenever they’re ready. And because of our current release cadence, that means that we can literally get these changes out to you guys in a matter of 2 weeks. That being said, optimization is dangerous, especially to a live game. Ideally I will continue to sneak in changes every 6 weeks or so, and when there are changes that players will notice, by all means there will be a release note to call them out.

-Bill

Sounds like WVW turned to shit then. Glad I'm taking a break.
I think you are wrong in that assumption because seems like people had a lot of fun last night and we battled pretty well but overnight we got stomped because SoR is front loaded with oceanic players.

We won't win this but there is a chance we can go to #4 in the rankings (not from this week but during league play) which means a huge jump and possibly just as good rewards as being #1 or 2.

There is a chance that we will be too butt hurt and just stop playing which will push us down to silver league.

Kite

I think you are wrong in that assumption because seems like people had a lot of fun last night and we battled pretty well but overnight we got stomped because SoR is front loaded with oceanic players.

We won't win this but there is a chance we can go to #4 in the rankings (not from this week but during league play) which means a huge jump and possibly just as good rewards as being #1 or 2.

There is a chance that we will be too butt hurt and just stop playing which will push us down to silver league.
Na, SOR usually doesn't try to demoralize servers not named BG. After a comfortable lead has been built up it'll be a relaxing week of drunk karma/world exp train-ing during the off hours and good fights during NA prime time. I think SBI can give TC a run for that 4th place slot though.

Luigi87

Na, SOR usually doesn't try to demoralize servers not named BG. After a comfortable lead has been built up it'll be a relaxing week of drunk karma/world exp train-ing during the off hours and good fights during NA prime time. I think SBI can give TC a run for that 4th place slot though.

*stares far off from the Tarnished Coast*
We quite enjoy our spots as T1.5!

Ashodin

My ideal WVW is not this super competitive, oh your comps are wrong, your tactics are wrong, your builds are not ideal, but a free form battleground.

All I see when I see you guys talking about what's going on is a repetitive brick wall head bashing, and a.terrible environment to try to muster your own strategies because the server will be too full to allow more people to go in and actually change the match up.

TrounceX saying the match will be determined in a day? That just makes me smh. I'm sure at lower tiers it's a bitter fight to the end, and that's more preferable to me IMO.

Retro

What this means is our Sea can go full offensive tonight, and unless you have a massive Sea force, this match will be over by morning.

So in other words, it's all about the coverage, and no matter how well anyone actually plays, having an overnight crew to sweep through and take everything will likely be the determining factor. Shocking. Who could have predicted such a thing. Such mystery.

Also realize that this is what WvW looks like in T1 every single night, and we will be coming for you like this 24/7 until next week. Get ready.

Yes. We know. You do remember SBI was sitting in Tier 1 for all but one matchup of 2012 (when we dropped to 4th for a week) while SoR was busy scrambling between the upper teens and flirting with breaking past 5th until after the new year, right? We've played at this tier before, and we quickly grew tired of seeing the same servers and the same tactics week after week while watching people care less and less about it because they didn't want to make WvW their entire life.

I know a lot of WvW guilds have migrated to SBI and that they're pumped and ready to go, but I hope they did their research. Because the last time, regular players got sick of Tier 1 "tactics", the WvW guilds were unable to make up the numbers and in their frustration, started to leave. When War Machine left because they were sick of being inundated with racist whispers, the exodus was pretty much guaranteed. In other words;

we will be too butt hurt and just stop playing which will push us down to silver league.

That happened. We'll have to see if history repeats itself. In the meantime, I'm not willing to give up sleep, meals, sunlight or time with my wife to make sure we get pushed into Gold League so we can spend the rest of the tournament doing more of the same.

I also don't have near enough socks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shenanigans. It's not what I want either personally, but none of the three of us are even that into WvW. And as depressing as our PPT is as of 11am this morning, a lot of people on SBI are still having fun and the people who are taking it seriously are likely enjoying being forced to get better for the first time in months.

SBI does not have the capacity to sit in the new T1. It's just not going to happen. We were struggling to hold half of any map including our own Borderlands last night and we got our faces pushed in overnight because we weren't able to keep anything long enough to get upgraded. As I type this they are still mercilessly flipping camps and inching on 75% total territory control. We have certainly met our betters and we aren't at their level, but if more people from SBI that enjoy WvW are enjoying WvW then that's really all that matters. I have to imagine they did do their research and knew this was coming to some degree. There's also a different set of emotions that go along with starting near the top, holding it and getting bored, versus rising through the ranks.

We're still beating SoS, and unless we screw that up I'm pretty sure we will still be getting into gold league whether or not you "make sure."

Retro

TrounceX saying the match will be determined in a day? That just makes me smh. I'm sure at lower tiers it's a bitter fight to the end, and that's more preferable to me IMO.

Likewise. There's nothing exciting about a shutout where two servers struggle to gain a toehold for 6 days straight and the third server just sits and watches and calls in the zerg if anybody sticks their head up anywhere. The best WvW matchups SBI has had were the ones where it was extremely close all week long and everyone was scrambling and trying new tactics. The queues were also shorter and GAF could reliably get in together and do something together. There was one fun night where Ash and I and a bunch of GAFers sat on a tower in the enemy borderlands and kept a whole corner of the map locked down against several frontal zergs. I think it was getting on 3am when it was just a handful of us left that we lost that tower. Good times.

This man gets it.

Nah, I just know where SBI has been and how the community has reacted in the past. When they have community meetings and the end result is stuff like this;

Reasons T1/T2 are Not Ideal
- Zergfest
- Underhanded tactics
- Sabotage
- Coverage > Skill
- Bandwagoning tendencies

These were just the general feelings of why we the server are tired of fighting "at the top." All of them sum up to a feeling that it's not fun. We'll be happy with whatever lower tier we end up in. (Source)

.. it actually marked the beginning of SBI's steady decline to the lower tiers and more exciting matchups. Now that a lot of "hardcore WvW" guilds have transferred in it might be different, but the old school SBI players remember how Tier 1 went and I'd be willing to bet they won't support the hardcore guilds after a few weeks of the same old, same old. If the hardcore guilds can't cover without the regular players' support, then we'll probably see SBI slip again and another exodus.

We'll see how it shakes out, but seeing as how SoR is sitting on 73% of the map in the middle of the day on a weekend and there are 6 days left, I don't see how there will be much more than a boring shutout, leading to repetitive brick wall head bashing, etc.

We have certainly met our betters and we aren't at their level, but if more people from SBI that enjoy WvW are enjoying WvW then that's really all that matters.

That's fine, and I'm glad they're having fun (which is fine, I don't want people to not have fun, I just want them to understand that the situation is very likely untenable). But in the long term, when they get sick of "the server not supporting them" or "the casuals running off to do PVE", they'll likely shuffle off for whichever server is tops or trending like last time. And if it doesn't happen and they're able to maintain this upper tier nonsense, I guess it just means that part of the game isn't allowed to be fun for the rest of us again.

Lunar15

Gold league sounds exciting. I hope the server can keep its spirits up until I come off my self-imposed break. I'd love to start focusing on WvW more when I come back.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Likewise. There's nothing exciting about a shutout where two servers struggle to gain a toehold for 6 days straight and the third server just sits and watches and calls in the zerg if anybody sticks their head up anywhere.
All of this is solid reasoning to be interested in a season rather than the weekly matchups with no consequences.
There was one fun night where Ash and I and a bunch of GAFers sat on a tower in the enemy borderlands and kept a whole corner of the map locked down against several frontal zergs. I think it was getting on 3am when it was just a handful of us left that we lost that tower. Good times.
That was in beta, and as much fun as it was (and frustrating as it must have been for them) just holding one tower has very little overall impact. Doing stuff like that is what I enjoy most as well, but don't try and paint it as some kind of unorthodox and effective tactic you'd want to use during a close matchup.
We'll see how it shakes out, but seeing as how SoR is sitting on 73% of the map in the middle of the day on a weekend and there are 6 days left, I don't see how there will be much more than a boring shutout, leading to repetitive brick wall head bashing, etc.
With SoR now completely dominating the map we are still beating SoS, who is ranked above us, and we should be able to hang onto that heading back into NA primetime. I'm starting to get kind of curious, were the true shutouts over the last few weeks less boring to you guys because it was us on top? The only thing interesting about the matchup before last week's was that I got a bit more map completion.
Gold league sounds exciting. I hope the server can keep its spirits up until I come off my self-imposed break. I'd love to start focusing on WvW more when I come back.
As long as you kind of think of it in terms of a battle for the middle, it could be a lot of fun when the season starts.
Retro said:
That's fine, and I'm glad they're having fun (which is fine, I don't want people to not have fun, I just want them to understand that the situation is very likely untenable). But in the long term, when they get sick of "the server not supporting them" or "the casuals running off to do PVE", they'll likely shuffle off for whichever server is tops or trending like last time. And if it doesn't happen and they're able to maintain this upper tier nonsense, I guess it just means that part of the game isn't allowed to be fun for the rest of us again.
It's just not really your role to ensure they understand what is or isn't tenable. Look, I'm getting the impression that if we do get a lot of bandwagoning and people hopping off to remain safely at the top, you'll be like "welp, here we go again" even though that's theoretically what you want, and if we do manage to eke out some position stable in T2 or between 2 and 3 (again, T1 is not happening) then you're positive you won't be able to enjoy yourself on spec. We start getting into "doing slightly better is bad" territory.

Just to clarify, I would hate the position we were in right now if this were just the same old indefinite matchup-and-rise-and-fall each week as always, but the season throws things into a new light for me. Obviously we're not going to win but I want to see how well SBI can do.

Raide

Are you mad, man?! :p

No offense at all to Gw1, which I adored, but GW2 at this stage in its life is quite a better value. $42 on amazong is a steal in my super humble opinion

So it is better now? Part of the reason I did ignore it at launch is because MMO's at launch are nearly always borked. :D

I tend to play healer classes in MMO's, or support classes. Still trying to find a game that makes it actually fun to do. :D

Levyne

Banned
I don't know how to formulate the words to respond to you guys. FIghting FA and SOR have been some of the most memorable battles for me. Maguuma is a slightly unique and annoying snowflake, but at the same time, I can't wait to face them again, whether that is in league play or after.

I have mixed feelings about being in gold league. We now stand zero chances of actually placing first in our league and will probably get shit consolation prizes for placing last in gold versus awesome stuff for 1st in silver. GG SBI.

Why the heck is this even important.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GW2 actually had a pretty smooth launch :p

There are no dedicated healers, at all, so if that's what you're looking for you gotta go for a game with a trinity :(

That said, support is actually getting a kind of across-the-board buff on tuesday, which is pretty interesting.

Complistic

I would be shocked if our rewards weren't as good or better than first place silver rewards.

That would be really, really stupid.

Retro

That was in beta, and as much fun as it was (and frustrating as it must have been for them) just holding one tower has very little overall impact. Doing stuff like that is what I enjoy most as well, but don't try and paint it as some kind of unorthodox and effective tactic you'd want to use during a close matchup.

Nah, I'm fairly certain it was the week of August 03-10 when we were matched up against EB and Borlis Pass, because it was BP's borderlands. And it wasn't just the tower; we also kept the two nearest supply camps locked down and upgraded so efforts to push into Hills went in fully stocked. We also assisted with those pushes and at one point helped to sweep Garrison.

Basically, we let another commander tag up and supported his entire operation by giving them a strong rally point loaded with supply.

I'm starting to get kind of curious, were the true shutouts over the last few weeks less boring to you guys because it was us on top? The only thing interesting about the matchup before last week's was that I got a bit more map completion.

Any time there's a shutout it's boring, whether it's us or them. The matchups where it was close all week were the most fun, and those are the ones where I personally had the most fun and played WvW the most. When I see the pie chart getting anywhere close to Pac-Man'ing, my interest in WvW wanes.

Levyne

Banned
The pie chart means next to nothing for me it the middle of a fight. Because you can only fight in one map out of the four at any given time.

I'd be lying though if I said I didn't keep tabs on the mos.millennium site more than what is probably healthy

Jira

I don't know how to formulate the words to respond to you guys. FIghting FA and SOR have been some of the most memorable battles for me. Maguuma is a slightly unique and annoying snowflake, but at the same time, I can't wait to face them again, whether that is in league play or after.

These days people only play games if they're rewarded in some fashion, if the WvW rewards end up sucking because we're in dead last within the Gold league, people aren't going to bother showing up to even try. I don't have the actual quote, but I remember reading that the rewards for placing higher in Silver/Bronze will net you better rewards than lower placement in Gold so that people in SIlver/Bronze will still care to even play. So now we're stuck in a place where we'll get crushed by the better servers and get shit rewards instead of crushing Silver league and getting the best rewards. I play WvW just to PvP, but you can't sit here and tell me that you'd prefer getting stomped while being handed consolation prizes over stomping Silver and getting the best rewards possible. Though it's also possible the rewards mean nothing to you specifically. I dunno I think I'm just bitter about WvW matchups since no one enjoys blowouts on any side.

Raide

How Soloable is GW2? I do like to be in guilds and run instances etc but I also like to know that I can solo through the majority of the game and not feel like I am gimped in some way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
middle of gold > top of silver > bottom of gold and I'm giving no thought whatsoever to whatever tangible rewards there are. that's about as much thought as I'm gonna put into it

edit: Raide, there is plenty to do solo, and there is no penalty for "impromptu grouping" (not partying up), there's no kill stealing or single loot rolls or anything.

hythloday

How Soloable is GW2? I do like to be in guilds and run instances etc but I also like to know that I can solo through the majority of the game and not feel like I am gimped in some way.

Soloing is totally OK. Dodging attacks is a big part of combat, and everyone has self-heal skills.

Raide

middle of gold > top of silver > bottom of gold and I'm giving no thought whatsoever to whatever tangible rewards there are. that's about as much thought as I'm gonna put into it

edit: Raide, there is plenty to do solo, and there is no penalty for "impromptu grouping" (not partying up), there's no kill stealing or single loot rolls or anything.

Soloing is totally OK. Dodging attacks is a big part of combat, and everyone has self-heal skills.

Ahh thanks both.

Also, is the double class thing still there from GW1? Just working my way through Wiki's and youtube videos. :D

Lunar15

Other people I know on SBI are pretty pumped about the Gold Tier, and they play a lot of WvW. So if it's good for them, it's good for me!

Ah geeze, I'll probably have to come back into this next friday, won't I?

Jira

Ahh thanks both.

Also, is the double class thing still there from GW1? Just working my way through Wiki's and youtube videos. :D

No, that was taken out. GW1 eventually had too many skills that all did the same thing so they cut back on skill bloat considerably for GW2 as it's much easier to balance. Let me give you a link to my megapost, do note that it hasn't been updated since launch though as it was just a primer for people.

www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated-READ-ME!/page1

Read that, do note that info there can be outdated/changed now. Also, here's a link to the updates to the game:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Releases

New releases are every two weeks, next one is this Tuesday (15th).

Anno

I just like being able to find a good fight at any time of the day. I'll be happy either way for different reasons, but I probably lean towards gold so we can (hopefully) be forced into becoming better.

Raide

No, that was taken out. GW1 eventually had too many skills that all did the same thing so they cut back on skill bloat considerably for GW2 as it's much easier to balance. Let me give you a link to my megapost, do note that it hasn't been updated since launch though as it was just a primer for people.

www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated-READ-ME!/page1

Read that, do note that info there can be outdated/changed now. Also, here's a link to the updates to the game:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Releases

New releases are every two weeks, next one is this Tuesday (15th).

Thank ye kindly. Digesting the information now.

jersoc

So in other words, it's all about the coverage, and no matter how well anyone actually plays, having an overnight crew to sweep through and take everything will likely be the determining factor. Shocking. Who could have predicted such a thing. Such mystery.

this is a huge problem, imo. its way too easy to flip shit and just wipe out hours of time. one of the reasons I stopped playing WvW. My prime time would be during that early am and it was boring as fuck fighting like 30 people and just sweeping everything.

Also, I don't mind playing the higher tiers. I enjoy being an underdog in pvp. I did play a warlock in wow pre deathcoil, after all.

Retro

Thank ye kindly. Digesting the information now.

There's also my semi-short (well, in comparison to Jira's megapost) list of useful beginner's tips. You can find that here; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45741280&postcount=8073

this is a huge problem, imo. its way too easy to flip shit and just wipe out hours of time. one of the reasons I stopped playing WvW. My prime time would be during that early am and it was boring as fuck fighting like 30 people and just sweeping everything.

Also, I don't mind playing the higher tiers. I enjoy being an underdog in pvp. I did play a warlock in wow pre deathcoil, after all.

The problem with WoW as an example is that Battlegrounds lasted an hour or so tops (well, except when they ran for days, but that was a huge fuckup on Blizzard's part), whereas WvW lasts a whole week. Eventually being the underdog gets frustrating and boring, especially when it's a shutout and the other team has better coverage. For example, any gains we may have made last night were wiped out by the Oceanic crew, and that's how it will be this evening, tomorrow, and so on. Underdog or not, eventually people get tired of beating their heads against the wall and give up. If the "Hardcore" people who don't mind being brain damaged could stop that, they wouldn't bleed the rank-and-file players who make up for any numerical deficiencies they have.

The overnight stuff is the biggest problem with WvW and it's something they simply cannot fix without resorting to cheese (like, off the top of my head, lowering the population cap overnight to match the lowest server's population, which is just a terrible idea all around). That's why coverage will always trump skill and the server with the better players doesn't necessarily win; it's the guys who are able to court the stronger overnight presence. When JQQ went after War Machine with the racist shit, they knew exactly what they were doing: Top Tier "Tactics".

TrounceX

Mmmhm, I know that feeling.

Whatever though, a LOT of people had an absolute blast last night. All my friends from SBI were gushing about the fights and the official matchup thread is full of excitement.

I could sit here and explain why being out-coveraged is not insurmountable, and how there are strategies to overcome it. Or how it is still very possible to contribute to the game with a small group (in fact I'd argue it's more important than ever). But I'm assuming it would fall on deaf ears.

Some people just don't want to hear anything of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ahh thanks both.

Nope, the one thing I miss most.

but the class system is completely different. They all play really, really differently from one another which is a sensation you didn't really get in GW1 because say a ele/mo and a mo/me could have substantial skill overlap for example, and nothing like that ever happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom