• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Your account (all of your characters) is tied to one server. You can only join in on the world-versus-world mode for the server you are on (obviously).

You can, however, guest to other servers in the same region (NA, EU) for pve content, and dungeon instances are cross server.

The one limit on guesting is that you can only guest to two servers on a 24 hour cooldown. But wait a day and you can guest anywhere again.

Edit: The server transfer fee is based on the population of the server you are transferring to.

Ashodin

Hey guys was wondering if I could get help on something.

I'm looking at getting into GW2. I've never played an MMO before so I'm trying to do as much research as I can to try and understand what the game is all about.

One thing that I'm a bit unsure about is the whole fee for transferring servers. How exactly does this work? I.e. If I wanted to change servers, would I have to pay a set fee? Or does this only apply when transferring existing characters?

Basically, you pay a set fee (depending on server population size) to transfer over. It transfers all your characters over to that server, and is your "home" server.

Note this only is in effect if you have characters made. If you don't have characters made, you can transfer freely, I think.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys was wondering if I could get help on something.

I'm looking at getting into GW2. I've never played an MMO before so I'm trying to do as much research as I can to try and understand what the game is all about.

One thing that I'm a bit unsure about is the whole fee for transferring servers. How exactly does this work? I.e. If I wanted to change servers, would I have to pay a set fee? Or does this only apply when transferring existing characters?
You'll want to make your home server choice for 1) region and 2) WvW.

You can't guest from NA to an EU server, and can only play in WvW for your home server. For everything else, however, guesting is very seamless and robust. There's little "tying you down" to one server.

edit: Ash is correct; if you delete all your characters you can choose another server at will.

Your account (all of your characters) is tied to one server. You can only join in on the world-versus-world mode for the server you are on (obviously).

You can, however, guest to other servers in the same region (NA, EU) for pve content, and dungeon instances are cross server.

The one limit on guesting is that you can only guest to two servers on a 24 hour cooldown. But wait a day and you can guest anywhere again.

Edit: The server transfer fee is based on the population of the server you are transferring to.

Basically, you pay a set fee (depending on server population size) to transfer over. It transfers all your characters over to that server, and is your "home" server.

Note this only is in effect if you have characters made. If you don't have characters made, you can transfer freely, I think.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Just a follow up question. Is it possible to delete characters? I'm asking as a follow up to what Ashodin said about being able to transfer freely if you don't have any made characters.

So would the following scenario be possible. I create a character and have a set home server. After a while, If I decided that I wanted to change servers, could I just delete my created character and then transfer to my desired server for free?

EDIT:

You'll want to make your home server choice for 1) region and 2) WvW.

You can't guest from NA to an EU server, and can only play in WvW for your home server. For everything else, however, guesting is very seamless and robust. There's little "tying you down" to one server.

edit: Ash is correct; if you delete all your characters you can choose another server at will.

Ah sweet that answers my question. Thanks for the help guys.

Levyne

Banned
Ex Devona's Rest guild.

I think they are a bit lost because their driver apparently can't commit much of any time to the game anymore. They've still been fairly active to my perspective, though.

Moondrop

Banned
Made a necro last night. I'd never really given the profession serious consideration because, y'know, I'm not evil.

I slapped together a well build and was able to hold my own in pvp right away. Even with just the default gear, only one sigil, and forgetting to use death shroud at all. I was most worried about defense, but necro has several tricks to get by. Coming from warrior, the stripping of boons and shrugging off conditions is glorious.

I'm liking dagger/horn as my primary weapon set. Dagger is vicious, horn synergizes well with the range, and sitting in wells with both is quite formidable.

Then there's the matter of punishing your foe at range. The appeal of staff in wvw is obvious, but not so pvp. Doesn't really seem as if it applies enough pressure. Scepter had a great auto attack. Focus 5 is lovely. Retaliation from axe would be nice. Suggestions welcome.

Also, when do i use DS contextually? Just flash it for buffs? When I need defense?

Tl;dr: necro is fun and deep.

Complistic

Made a necro last night. I'd never really given the profession serious consideration because, y'know, I'm not evil.

Just because i fell off the pale tree with an affinity for curses doesn't make me evil.

Who better to put the undead horde of zhaitan back in their place than a necromancer? :p
the other acceptable answer is guardian

Ashodin

"“I swore my sandwich trees would’ve been the answer to this famine,” Oswald grumbled. “They are complaining about the famine, right?”"

Yesssssss

jersoc

Those were hold over changes so they could increase the rewards. I'd much rather spend a bit more time fighting the bosses now and get better rewards than one shotting them and getting less. The smaller world bosses will be redone in time much like Taco.

yes i know, that's why i said let them do another pass before adding more.
10 min bosses are ok. 10 mins of a punching bag is not.

TrounceX

Apparently I was wrong and SoR is indeed colluding with some SBI guilds to try and get them to gold league. That's what you get for taking a day off.

All this drama surrounding the Leagues is really starting to grate on me.

edit: Yeah, you guys are about to get dragged into gold league by illegitimate means. That's...that's actually total bullshit. Retro and Jira and co. were right, it's obvious your core population wants nothing to do with high level WvW play, and that it's your newly transferred guilds dragging you into it. I thought for sure once you started having success that the core population would hop on board. Guess not.

:\

Yeah I don't think leagues were a good idea. I don't want to just match up against gold league servers and I don't want to match up against silver league servers and I don't like this metagaming and drama about placement.

Lunar15

If it's gold it's gold. Population is just gonna have to get it together or something. I think SBI is just in a special case due to where we fall and the amount of guilds that shifted around.

It's a video game. Not worth losing sleep over.

That's a lot of drama for WvW, lol. I bet today there will be some SBI people who are going to in and build useless siege and have people tag up to get purposefully stomped by the other teams, lol.

Sorry guys just had one more question regarding the game.

I just wanted to know how Guild Wars 2 works regarding disconnecting from the game?

Reason I'm asking is that I have an issue with my internet where it will, every now and then, disconnect for about 10 seconds and then reconnect automatically. So I just wanted to know how the game works regarding reconnecting to a server. I.e. If I'm in a specific location on the map and I disconnect, when I reconnect will the game take me back to the location that I was at?

Ashodin

I just wanted to know how Guild Wars 2 works regarding disconnecting from the game?

Reason I'm asking is that I have an issue with my internet where it will, every now and then, disconnect for about 10 seconds and then reconnect automatically. So I just wanted to know how the game works regarding reconnecting to a server. I.e. If I'm in a specific location on the map and I disconnect, when I reconnect will the game take me back to the location that I was at?
Yes and it's possible gw2 won't even disconnect you for that period of time.

jersoc

well err, yes and no. There's no grace period for some reason. So when you're chilling around waiting for teq on the weekends and you dc half way through, you get stuck in a different overflow server instead of the one you were in. so if you were main, you goto overflow. same with anything else with major events that spawn multiple overflows. mostly not a big deal, but it can cause you to waste hours of time.

not bitter at all.

otherwise, you are fine.

RobbieH

wvwqfcsi.png

markot

Banned
Meh, SBI and sor are just bandwagon servers.

Half of sor is made up of SOS traitors.

Leagues are a moronic idea that will just snowball all wvw problems.

Bloodlust is still in.

Server xfer discount the week before league starts?

Anet employees a lot of morons.

Transfer discount was to get people from very high pop servers to move down because they want to lit queues in the high pop servers. I guess it had an opposite effect.

Are you not in SoR, markot?

markot

Banned
SOS. I'd rather be dead them move to sor.

Dead!

It's lame. There are already natural tiers, you can see the groupings in the ratings, but they're getting ignored for arbitrary tiers. I think a tier with SOS and the few bellow it is a general good match. Instead it's getting split. They'll dominate silver and get wrecked in gold.

Retro

Anet employees a lot of morons.

Yes, because that's a surefire way to get them to pay attention to your complaints.
1sm067roll8turv.gif

You do know they read GAF, right? And at least one posts here? Feel free to write me off as "PRetro, Defender of ArenaNet" if you want, but calling them morons and offering no suggestions or additional input beyond "This Is Broken" helps no one.

I mean, the Official Forums tend to drown out rational discussion with posts like that, so GAF could, at least in theory, offer a point of view outside the echo chamber and maybe affect real change in the game. If you know WvW and you know something is wrong, elaborate. You probably have a better chance of being heard here than there. Who knows, GAF might even gain a reputation as a useful source for feedback rather than the usual garbage.

But no, calling them morons. That's constructive.

RobbieH

They're working on a new WvW map: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-edge-of-the-mists-a-new-map-is-coming-to-wvw/

Greetings, folks! I’m here to announce an exciting new development in World vs. World!

We are in the process of designing a brand-new map that will let you enjoy WvW while waiting to enter the existing Borderlands and Eternal Battleground maps. This new map, the Edge of the Mists, will be able to accomodate as many people as want to play in it at any given time. Unlike the existing WvW maps, once a version of the Edge of the Mists fills up, another will be created so that anyone who wishes to take part can do so.

While this map will allow you to earn rewards that will help you in WvW, it will not contribute directly to your world’s score. This means worlds with a large population won’t be able to use their size to gain an unfair advantage with this map. This is a place where you’ll be able to test your WvW skills, earn World XP, and experience content at the cutting edge of WvW.

It’s imperative to us that we provide space for as many players as possible before we continue to make improvements to WvW, because every time we make changes and updates, more players get stuck waiting in line. This new map will eliminate that entirely and make it so everyone can experience the grandeur of WvW whenever they wish.

We’ve been looking into tackling the problem of limited space in WvW for some time now, and we have finally reached a point where we can get you, the players, involved in our solution.

We are telling you about this map now, long before we are ready to launch it, because we want your help to make this the best possible experience we can. We will be inviting thousands of people to come play in an public test version of the map to provide us with feedback, stress tests, and to help guide the design and development of the final version of the map. We are looking for guilds that are WvW-focused to provide us with the numbers we need and to provide some of the basic structure we’ll be looking for in these tests.

We’ll be starting off with small testing windows that will become more expansive as we get closer to finalizing the map. To apply for a spot in the test for your guild, please have one representative from your guild fill out this survey.

Testing of the map will go through the beginning of 2014, at a minimum. To be considered for inclusion, your guild needs to have at least one fluent English speaker capable of compiling feedback for us. None of this testing will be under NDA, as we want as many people as possible and we need your input.

We’ll have more details about the map as we continue to develop it and as we start the actual testing. Your involvement in this process will be critical to the final implementation and design of the map. We will be making decisions based on the feedback we get from these tests and that feedback will determine the final version of the map.

We are thrilled to be entering into a new phase of development for WvW where we get large groups of players in to test and provide feedback on large-scale projects before they go live.

We’ll see you on the battlegrounds!

Boogdud

My wife and I joined on SoR in beta and on launch day, mainly because of the player tribute. We thought it was going to be the casual server because of it. Ha! Though I don't really wvw (or play at all) much, when I did it was hit or miss on the groups. Some folks really think highly of themselves and others are just out there to have fun. One stint in wvw with my wife and I on the server ts was enough for her, she never set foot in there again.

Though Markot you just sound bitter. People go to SoR because they want to win and be in gold, it's just the way it is. Same with BG and JQ. Those servers don't really have to 'poach' anyone.

I think there are tiers because people on the big 3 have literally never fought against anyone else after the first week or two of original ladder sorting. I think (hope) Anet honestly was hoping that a few cinderellas would emerge from this and challenge the bigger servers. Since the big 3 have been fighting each other for so long they might not have strategies for new folks.

But having said all that, I think wvw pretty much sucks and is an endless circle jerk in terms of actual pvp accomplishment and progression. Then again, I've never had much of a casual wvw night romp like most of you probably have.

Sometimes I wish I enjoyed jumping puzzles. I tried the Mad King's Clock Tower last night for the first time ever, fell into the ooze 5 straight times without making it half way, and went back to killing stuff. I would like to finish it to complete all of the Halloween content but, it's not happening.

Retro

Sometimes I wish I enjoyed jumping puzzles. I tried the Mad King's Clock Tower last night for the first time ever, fell into the ooze 5 straight times without making it half way, and went back to killing stuff. I would like to finish it to complete all of the Halloween content but, it's not happening.

Don't feel bad, the Mad King's tower was purposely built to be insanely difficult. I dunno how long exactly it took me to finish it, but I'd say it was ~3 hours of trying.

Arkanius

The new map looks awesome
They also said that it's a place to help you build your WvW character...
It sounds like you can get specific WvW gear there... Ascended WvW backpieces incoming?

nataku

Not really sure how I feel about this. After waiting all this time for them to announce new maps to replace the cloned borderlands, they do this instead.

I'm sure the queues suck on servers with queues on all 4 maps, but what use is this to low population servers? I'm really hating the server vs server setup ANet went with for WvW more and more. Population differences between high and low population servers are really affecting with what they can do in WvW.

The new map looks awesome
They also said that it's a place to help you build your WvW character...
It sounds like you can get specific WvW gear there... Ascended WvW backpieces incoming?

I'm assuming they just mean it works like a regular WvW map in terms of character/rank progression. It just doesn't affect the score of WvW.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GW2_WvWCommunit

That's a link to the survey. The one in the article is broken.

Jon Peters said:
I’m on the bus ride in to work but I’ll start this thread answering a couple questions and try and keep it up to date for the day.
Jon

Q: Is the Edge of the Mists only open when all maps are full?
A: No, it’s always available from the list I maps it simply is the only WvW map that can overflow.

Q: What happens if you get into a copy of Edge of the Mists with only people from your world?
A: There will be stuff to do. More to be revealed as people start playing the map.

Q: I don’t like feature X about this map what should I do?
A: That is ok, this map is in its first stages of development. Apply to be involved in the test and give your feedback. Even if you don’t get into the test there will be NO NDA so you will hear about the progress of the map and be able to comment on it.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Edge-of-the-Mists-FAQ

Lunar15

I don't get why the map exists, but it sure looks cool! Love that kodan area.

But yeah, what issue does this solve for anyone?

EDIT: I bet when they looked into reasons why people do not play WvW, queues were listed as a top reason (which is actually kind of weird to me). Not sure how going into a meaningless version of WvW solves that, but hey I guess you can go do something while you wait? Just seems like it takes focus away.

DJIzana

I like seeing how they're pushing out all these content but for someone who likes exploring their open world... what reason would that give for me to come back since I've seen all of the zones already?

I realize they're adding that new WvW zone but yah... aside from that and the simple looking skills, those are the only things actually deterring me from playing the game again.

Lunar15

I like seeing how they're pushing out all these content but for someone who likes exploring their open world... what reason would that give for me to come back since I've seen all of the zones already?

I realize they're adding that new WvW zone but yah... aside from that and the simple looking skills, those are the only things actually deterring me from playing the game again.

Depends on when you stopped playing. They've added new a new dungeon, fractals, all sorts of new content since launch.

Not sure what you mean about simple looking skills though.

I can already see hardcore WvW complaining that their score sucks because people are hanging out on the new map only instead of actually helping the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom