• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

DJIzana

Depends on when you stopped playing. They've added new a new dungeon, fractals, all sorts of new content since launch.

Not sure what you mean about simple looking skills though.

I stopped playing after Fractals.

By simple looking skills I guess I just mean I wish there were more flashy looking moves. FFXIV's skills are quite flashy and I really enjoy their zone design, let alone their engine etc.

I'll likely play both since GW2 doesn't have a monthly fee but just more of a time related thing at that point.

Don't feel bad, the Mad King's tower was purposely built to be insanely difficult. I dunno how long exactly it took me to finish it, but I'd say it was ~3 hours of trying.

Yeaaaahhh, I think I'll just leave that one unfinished...lol. I'm working on cool looking gear for my elemental anyways.

This new map should be in rotation with EB where one week it is EB the other week it is the edge of the Mists.

I think more people will appriciate it than if it is just a place to hang out while you queue. I think PvE, PvP are already places you can hang out while you queue, or even other BLs depending on what is queued.

Is queue-ing really bad on the top3 servers where everything gets queued right away?

I like seeing how they're pushing out all these content but for someone who likes exploring their open world... what reason would that give for me to come back since I've seen all of the zones already?

I realize they're adding that new WvW zone but yah... aside from that and the simple looking skills, those are the only things actually deterring me from playing the game again.

What are you talking about?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like seeing how they're pushing out all these content but for someone who likes exploring their open world... what reason would that give for me to come back since I've seen all of the zones already?

I realize they're adding that new WvW zone but yah... aside from that and the simple looking skills, those are the only things actually deterring me from playing the game again.
What are you talking about?
Seems like a genuine question but it's confusing to me too! What's the other thing (besides simple-looking skills) deterring you from playing?

If you mean that you only enjoy exploring the open world, maybe you'd enjoy the content releases that deal with the open world? You could always focus on those and ignore the reset if they are of no interest to you.

DJIzana

Seems like a genuine question but it's confusing to me too! What's the other thing (besides simple-looking skills) deterring you from playing?

If you mean that you only enjoy exploring the open world, maybe you'd enjoy the content releases that deal with the open world? You could always focus on those and ignore the reset if they are of no interest to you.

Well, I enjoy world PVP as well but yeah, for the most part I don't really do many dungeons or anything like that.

That's about it. I think I'm actually going to install it now that I've talked to a couple of other friends.

Ceres

Banned
The WvW map will likely turn into another greifer area like the jump puzzles that no one who actually plays WvW for WvW goes to. They'll just screw with PvE players trying for any rewards specific to that map.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can all be as cynical as you like about what "people will do" given the new map, but I think it's pretty exciting. As much fun as it is to contribute to your server score and pull off tough captures of objectives, what I love most about WvW is jumping in and running into unexpected and "anything goes" open fights. I even love the Obsidian Sanctum for this reason, though since it is ultimately a jumping puzzle griefers who are simply trying to keep people from reaching the end do still grate on me. I don't think the same sort of one-track griefing will apply to such a huge map.

Sometimes I just want to keep the momentum going from whatever I was doing to a bit of WvW and queues, even the rare ones we got in the tiers before this, stop me in my tracks a lot of the time. At the least they make spending the amount of time you want to spend in the mists a lot trickier. Plus the screenshots look like a lot of it draws from the "ethereal floating rocks" aesthetic of the Mistlock Observatory which is one of my favorites. I look forward to exploring it and using it as just another map to fight on regardless of anything else.

One of the Mad King's doors in Godlost swamp, over the hill you can see one of the underworld portals that are always there. Very cool atmosphere.
jnmMiCsHb2t7t.png
Pic added to site; mystery "krait obelisk shard"
in what looks like DR to me:

Mxrz

Well, the new map is just a playground right? I'm all for it. Actually if i can jump into it and immediately be thrown into some action instead of having to run around looking for it, that'd be even better. Its going to be for GvG too, yeah? I hope they use it after all the bitching.

Necro hit 80 and I was all hyped to buy gear. So I check the forums first and once again I see 'Better off buying zerker trinkets." !^*&@$ I'm so f'ing sick of buying the same damn ascended amulets and accessories for every alt. I hate having to pick between optimal numerical values and GW nostalgia. And 24 commendations & 30 laurels aren't exactly easy to come by either.

yes, its a minor thing to be annoyed at, but the stat setups in general feel one sided. WvW? Soldier. Rest of PvE? Zerkzerkzerkzerk.

Retro

Pic added to site; mystery "krait obelisk shard"
in what looks like DR to me:

I'm going to take a guess and assume it's an instanced node like the Quartz / Candy Corn. Which begs the question, what material is a Krait Obelisk made of and, maybe more importantly, what can we make out of it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GvG will be intended for a new sub-area in the Obsidian Sanctum (the EB jumping puzzle), unrelated to and coming sooner than the Edge of the Mists.

However I would not be surprised at all if GvG and even larger-scale organized battles took place there when it does come out.
Well, the new map is just a playground right? I'm all for it. Actually if i can jump into it and immediately be thrown into some action instead of having to run around looking for it, that'd be even better. Its going to be for GvG too, yeah? I hope they use it after all the bitching.

Necro hit 80 and I was all hyped to buy gear. So I check the forums first and once again I see 'Better off buying zerker trinkets." !^*&@$ I'm so f'ing sick of buying the same damn ascended amulets and accessories for every alt. I have having to pick between optimal numerical values and GW nostalgia. And 24 commendations & 30 laurels aren't exactly easy to come by either.
Yeesh screw "optimal numerical values," what kind of necro do you want to play? Zerker gear isn't going to help any if you're focused on conditions :p

Retro

However I would not be surprised at all if GvG and even larger-scale organized battles took place there when it does come out.

There's an interesting idea.

They've said that the new Edge of the Mists map won't affect the score of WvW, but they haven't said it doesn't affect it period. Maybe they're taking the concept of the Bloodlust Buff and running with it; the performance of smaller groups in the EotM can help the "hardcore" WvW scene without hindering it (by taking up spots in the queue) or suffering it's more negative aspects (namely, a small group running into a zerg).

They even make it a point to say "This means worlds with a large population won’t be able to use their size to gain an unfair advantage with this map.", which to me sounds like anti-zerg. Maybe it's just a big playground for beating each other up, but there's some potential there for it to give "WvW flavor" for smaller groups without stepping on the toes of the larger "Full WvW" ones.

hythloday

Just a heads up:

I just saw someone advertising in LA map chat about some kind of a WvW tutorial/training session on Saturday, Oct. 19th at 7:00 PM Pacific/10:00 PM Eastern. They're keeping the "instructors" secret until the event apparently, but they specifically mentioned that new players are welcome.

This bumps up against the tail end of our Saturday Night Fever for guild missions (9:00 PM Eastern), which we're still having at the usual time, but I thought it sounded neat and wanted to let people know just in case they wanted to attend.

xeris

Necro hit 80 and I was all hyped to buy gear. So I check the forums first and once again I see 'Better off buying zerker trinkets." !^*&@$ I'm so f'ing sick of buying the same damn ascended amulets and accessories for every alt. I hate having to pick between optimal numerical values and GW nostalgia. And 24 commendations & 30 laurels aren't exactly easy to come by either.

yes, its a minor thing to be annoyed at, but the stat setups in general feel one sided. WvW? Soldier. Rest of PvE? Zerkzerkzerkzerk.

And this is why you either ignore builds on forums or modify them to your play style and what you find fun. Remember, the people that post those tend to be all about speed runs and not maximizing the strengths of a particular build. So if you want to do a support roll or anything other than high direct damage numbers those builds are useless. The downside is it may take you 1 minute more to do CoF1. The horror.

Edit: Woo! I'm a member now. Although it was the post after this in the NaNoWriMo thread (cheap plug) that put me over.

Proven

This new map should be in rotation with EB where one week it is EB the other week it is the edge of the Mists.

I think more people will appriciate it than if it is just a place to hang out while you queue. I think PvE, PvP are already places you can hang out while you queue, or even other BLs depending on what is queued.

Is queue-ing really bad on the top3 servers where everything gets queued right away?

PvE and PvP are places you can hang out while queuing, but you're not thinking of it from the WvW perspective. Why do people keep playing WvW? To fight people (can't do that in PvE) while using their PvE builds (can't do that in PvP).

Depending on the new map's geometry and rewards, it'll either become the new WvW hang out spot (preferred), a secondary GvG area, or something that PvE players will complain about whenever special rewards and achievements are involved ala Obsidian Sanctum. Possibly all three!

Although I could be reading it wrong, but it sounded like the area would connect to other servers and therefore involve fighting.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Orr

Full zone completions this weekend for Straits/Malchors/Cursed Shore?
Bout to leave for the keys, wish I were around to do this though! I don't have any of the three of the completed on any character, lol.
PvE and PvP are places you can hang out while queuing, but you're not thinking of it from the WvW perspective. Why do people keep playing WvW? To fight people (can't do that in PvE) while using their PvE builds (can't do that in PvP)
Yeah, there are also a number of issues with lots of the things you can do during the queued-up state, such as unease about starting something with its own completion goal and time constraint (like a dungeon or PvP tournament). I'm looking at the Edge of the Mists as the "okay, I feel like WvW, here's what I can do immediately" and just-jump-in map. Honestly it sounds like a lot of fun without even knowing more than that. But who knows.

Taffer

As others have said, the forums tend towards zerker over everything (though I always see plenty of conditionmancer discussion as well in the necro sub-forum) but just ignore them and go conditions.
Yes you'll suck against structures but you get to rack up the post-mortem kills, there's a few times I've been killed by a champion but been able to jog back to them before my conditions expire. COMEDY GOLD.
It's the most conditiony profession in the game, this is your best chance to have a character that doesn't rely on plain old power to get by.
Do it.
Join us.

Jira

I don't have a problem with it, just kind of confused by it. Not sure why they made it.

The main reason is to eliminate queues for WvW. At the NA/EU launch every server had queues. Also, no one likes sitting in a queue so being able to go somewhere and jump into WvW at any time is awesome. Lastly they're doing this because the Chinese launch is setting up to put our launch to shame by a very large factor. Colin said the Chinese Beta guilds absolutely dwarf the NA/EU guilds in the game already.

Ok I see now why this probably a good idea. I hope I get to try it out during the testing so I have a better idea of what it is and what they want to do with it.

Ashodin

The main reason is to eliminate queues for WvW. At the NA/EU launch every server had queues. Also, no one likes sitting in a queue so being able to go somewhere and jump into WvW at any time is awesome. Lastly they're doing this because the Chinese launch is setting up to put our launch to shame by a very large factor. Colin said the Chinese Beta guilds absolutely dwarf the NA/EU guilds in the game already.

I'm innately curious about the objectives you will be able to do in the map. Secondly, I consider it a training ground before you head into actual WVW maps. It's pretty cool, actually.

Mxrz

Decided to go with a mix of carrion & rabid on the necro. I made this character for conditions and I'll be the damnedest conditioner that ever conditioned. . . .Or leave the character collect dust on the character select screen like the rest of my alts.

Might be a little early, but feeling a little disappointed that last years Halloween skins aren't back. This years aren't doing much for me, and the old ones skyrocketed to 700g-900g.

Mxrz

What the fuck. Just saw all stuff about letting SoR onto the teamspeak, and having them defend SBI stuff to get us into gold. That's a new f'ing level of pathetic. I don't want a damn thing to do with the people who pulled this. Half ready to say screw wvw in general.

/lttp /annoyed.

Ashodin

What the fuck. Just saw all stuff about letting SoR onto the teamspeak, and having them defend SBI stuff to get us into gold. That's a new f'ing level of pathetic. I don't want a damn thing to do with the people who pulled this. Half ready to say screw wvw in general.

/lttp /annoyed.

what the fuck? seriously?

Mxrz

The thread on the SBI forum looks like it was deleted. A member posted some screens of it else where. In it, one guy pretty much confirmed what the OP was saying. Really twisted stuff.

* Looks like the whole mess is in the last-spot thread on the official forums too.

Ceres

Banned
The thread on the SBI forum looks like it was deleted. A member posted some screens of it else where. In it, one guy pretty much confirmed what the OP was saying. Really twisted stuff.

* Looks like the whole mess is in the last-spot thread on the official forums too.

It wasn't deleted. Got moved to the private forum.

TrounceX

what the fuck? seriously?

Yes unfortunately it's true and was indeed, totally pathetic. For the record I had nothing to do with it, and I think SBI is a total bandwagon server not worthy of gold league.

I hope your guilds have fun effortlessly stomping the competition and raking in whatever stupid reward chest you get for 1st in silver league. I guess reward chests or more important that good fights to some people.

Ok, some of you are taking this game way too seriously and it is getting tiresome. Also some of you are posting in here like we have something to do with the bandwagoning when we know nothing about it.

Retro

Tweeted a few hours ago by Peter Fries:
Krait Obelisk overtaken by Scarlet?
Ok, some of you are taking this game way too seriously and it is getting tiresome. Also some of you are posting in here like we have something to do with the bandwagoning when we know nothing about it.
Pretty much this. If you're upset about what ever's going on with SBI in the WvW Season, this is probably the last place to spout off about it. GAF has been on SBI since launch so we're not a 'bandwagoner', nor has SBI pushed for WvW superiority at any time.

The little jabs SBI being 'unworthy' or only in it for easy wins/loot are irritating only so far as they're directed at the party least responsible for the last month's shenanigans imaginable.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Had a decent night of WvW got 450 kills tonight in order to get the season 1 achievement and chest which was kinda crap. Still fun match up, still very much anyone's games.

Ashodin

Tweeted a few hours ago by Peter Fries:

Krait Obelisk overtaken by Scarlet?

Pretty much this. If you're upset about what ever's going on with SBI in the WvW Season, this is probably the last place to spout off about it. GAF has been on SBI since launch so we're not a 'bandwagoner', nor has SBI pushed for WvW superiority at any time.

The little jabs SBI being 'unworthy' or only in it for easy wins/loot are irritating only so far as they're directed at the party least responsible for the last month's shenanigans imaginable.

YES MOAR TEASERZ

TrounceX

It's obvious this post was directed at me.

Read this again:

trouncex said:
I hope your guilds have fun effortlessly stomping the competition and raking in whatever stupid reward chest you get for 1st in silver league. I guess reward chests or more important that good fights to some people.

Realize now that I'm not even talking about or even insinuating that I'm talking about GAF. I'm angry at the people who hijacked your server and tried to cheat their way into Gold league which would have screwed you guys for weeks straight.

wtf I cannot win itt.

Retro

YES MOAR TEASERZ

I feel like they're setting whatever this is up to be an extension of the Mad King event. After all, this update will fall 2 days before Halloween. Maybe the Krait are building something and Mad King Thorn (hint hint, thorns) takes it over. Or something. Dunno.

As an aside, the look of that art though is channeling a later kind of horror theme; whereas the Taco stuff felt like 50s, 60s and 70s style play on monster movies, this is giving me the impression of more 'traditional' horror movie posters. Gritty, sharp contrast, mono-chromatic. It's good stuff, and I'd love it if they'd do an interview or live stream with the people who do this sort of ancillary material; the website, the little teasers, etc. They seem to have a really fun job, jumping around thematically as it suits the update but not being tied to specifics or in-game requirements. That "Something in the Water!" poster that played on Jaws is frame-worthy, straight out of the 1960s.

I spent a bit of time doing graphic design and art history courses in college, so It's fun to kind of sit back and know what style they were going for with these things. They're running all over the place in a really fun way that I don't think many people get the chance (or the permission) to do. Must be fun.

Read this again

What makes you think they're our Guilds?

wtf I cannot win itt.

I could be wrong, but maybe it's because you come itt to comment on the (sad) condition of WvW as it applies to SoR vs. SBI, after everyone kind of agreed there was no point in further discussion on that sorry state of affairs. I get that it's your 'thing', but at this point It's kind of a dead horse you're beating on now. Remember when we all said "This will be my last post on the subject..." or some variation on that?

/shrug

Trust me, we know about all the underhanded crap people are doing to hijack SBI for whatever purpose. The constant updates feel unnecessary and the language you use in them is pretty inflammatory, even if you carefully sidestep including GAF directly.

I think people are just sick of hearing about it at this point since there's little anyone can do about it.

TrounceX

I could be wrong, but maybe it's because you come itt to comment on the (sad) condition of WvW as it applies to SoR vs. SBI, after everyone kind of agreed there was no point in further discussion on that sorry state of affairs. I get that it's your 'thing', but at this point It's kind of a dead horse you're beating on now. Remember when we all said "This will be my last post on the subject..." or some variation on that?

/shrug

Trust me, we know about all the underhanded crap people are doing to hijack SBI for whatever purpose. The constant updates feel unnecessary and the language you use in them is pretty inflammatory, even if you carefully sidestep including GAF directly.

I think people are just sick of hearing about it at this point since there's little anyone can do about it.

You have such an extremely self-centered point of view, dude. You think you speak for everyone here. Go look at my posts and I was simply answering questions, and that's because I know the answers to them. I haven't started a discussion about WvW since calling out Lunar on GvG's a week ago.

I would never come on here and call you out for posting info or updates about PvE stuff. Do you think you run this thread and can moderate it's discussion to your own preferences? This is not Gaming Age Force, the thread.

Retro

You have such an extremely self-centered point of view, dude. You think you speak for everyone here. Go look at my posts and I was simply answering questions, and that's because I know the answers to them. I haven't started a discussion about WvW since calling out Lunar on GvG's a week ago.

I would never come on here and call you out for posting info or updates about PvE stuff. Do you think you run this thread and can moderate it's discussion to your own preferences? This is not Gaming Age Force, the thread.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but there's a difference between "posting info and updates about PVE stuff" (which is a pretty wide subject that the guild and this thread tends to favor) and "posting only about the nasty political garbage going on in WvW", which is a pretty narrow subject that, as you'll recall, we all sort of agreed was a line of discussion that wasn't going anywhere. It's also pretty much all you've been doing; out of your last 20 posts or so in this thread, maybe three or four of them aren't about the ongoing WvW drama. You're also not the only one who brings it up, so I'm not singling you out or blaming you for it, if that's what you think I'm trying to do.

Like I said, we get that it's your 'thing' and that you're responding to questions about it, but based on the way other people have responded to it, it was getting old a long time ago and frankly I'm not surprised that other people are reacting to it the way they have.

At no point have I ever said what can and cannot be discussed, nor have I spoken for anyone. You asked why you can't win in this thread, and I ventured a guess; because people are sick of hearing about it, though I even admitted I might be wrong on that.

I kind of get the feeling you're making it personal or something when it really isn't.

Mxrz

Its reset night / flip day. Hard to follow chat with everything going on.

FA borderland wasn't the greatest. Queue took 2 of our havok right off.. Thought 4-5 of us were going to steal Hills lord while the zergs fought outside but then the skill lag hit. Its annoying having a Lord punch you in the face while you're stuck standing there.

Anno

350ish kills in about 3 hours of WvW. Good fights all over SBIBL with both a large contingent of DB and FA present. Only one wipe on our side, so I'll call it a good night.

WvW chests were nicely buffed as well. Every other one had a rare and one had two rares, plus about 25s apiece. Nice step towards making WvW close the gap on PvE rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom