• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Don't know if they meant it to, but the 2nd Mad King story quest counts as a dungeon run towards monthlys (maybe general dungeon achievements as well, I didn't check).

Shiokazu

350ish kills in about 3 hours of WvW. Good fights all over SBIBL with both a large contingent of DB and FA present. Only one wipe on our side, so I'll call it a good night.

WvW chests were nicely buffed as well. Every other one had a rare and one had two rares, plus about 25s apiece. Nice step towards making WvW close the gap on PvE rewards.

if by that you mean itens that 80% of the time ( if not more ) you are sending to the oblivion plane. then WvW rewards are really bad.

Proven

Don't know if they meant it to, but the 2nd Mad King story quest counts as a dungeon run towards monthlys (maybe general dungeon achievements as well, I didn't check).

First one does too.

Also, why the hell does attacking ambient creatures put you into combat now?

Retro

I'd love this, especially if we could set up smaller parties not just one big zerg.

Yeah, I was talking to Victrix last night. If we can't get an impromptu Orr clearing this weekend, next weekend we could try and make plans for a more organized Orr assault (where, instead of just zipping around completing POIs, JPs and Vistas, we also push event chains forward to take temples and such).

Last time we did it was pretty fun, back to celebrate the removal of culling.

Either way, I'll make myself available for Sunday afternoon. My Engineer, Thief and Guardian could all use the trip. If people can't really make it (it is short notice), we'll aim for next weekend. There won't be so many distractions with the WvW Season and Halloween stuff already underway.

Victrix

*beard*
I'll be busy with errands through the afternoon, but I'll definitely be back by the early evening and I'm certainly up for a small group or groups

Also even if we do some/all of it today, I'm still absolutely up for doing it again next weekend - this is all new to me, and it's always fun to run around with a group

I'll check in when I get home, I'll be on mumble and I'll post here and in guild chat

Ceres

Banned
I'm out today and not sure when I'll be home. Probably not in time for Mission Fever. But I should be available most of tomorrow.
And I think next weekend is free.

I've got my necro to level 52ish so could maybe try rushing him to the map so I can finish lvling him.

Complistic

I'm out today and not sure when I'll be home. Probably not in time for Mission Fever. But I should be available most of tomorrow.
And I think next weekend is free.

I've got my necro to level 52ish so could maybe try rushing him to the map so I can finish lvling him.

Just so you know, you'll still gain levels at your normal rate even in orr. You don't suddenly get massive xp just because you're fighting those enemies. Their xp will actually scale down to your level.

Retro

Just so you know, you'll still gain levels at your normal rate even in orr. You don't suddenly get massive xp just because you're fighting those enemies. Their xp will actually scale down to your level.

This is true, but the fact that so many people will be pounding through so many events and hitting all the POIs, Vistas and Skill Points as they trek through will still dump a lot of XP. Not to mention all the gathering and just straight kill XP (though that will be brought down a bit by so many people nuking everything...)

The big thing is that it's (relatively) safe to travel around in a big pack like that, whereas going through Orr alone is usually pretty slow going.

If he's in a party and the group is chain killing as it clears through the map he should still get more xp than he would just doing stuff in a zone his level though, by nature of the bonus xp.

I've started my ascended greatsword grind. It's more expensive / time consuming than I thought it would.
Overall, I think it's fine. But. I feel the a fresh lvl 80 in the future should be able to work towards some of the materials along the way. Because the way you play to get the materials is very specific to train-farming champions. I spend 2-3 hours frostgoge training, and it was nice a cozy along the lines of the old Orr karma farms, but on the other hand it also makes people play the game a certain way at end game.

So, just like laurels, I think/hope they need to broaden the ways you can be rewarded some of these materials. same goes for the armor. it would just be nice if we could also just do normal stuff in the world and get smaller doses of the mats. long event chains and such.
Im trying to level a few lvl 30-40 characters and even very high servers are still full of abandoned zones because such giant pockets of the population are scattered into seperate content (dungeons, teq, WvW, PvP, Mad King lair). Nothing wrong with that, but it keeps bleeding a "living world" dry of people. Also it gives a bad first impression for new people.
I hate to say it, but I think the game needs certain very unpopular zones shared between clusters of servers. Some people think its community breaking, but I think its worse not to have any community in many of these zones.

The behavioral patteren is build in. players will do with their time, that allows them to be at their most effective. That's all. no compromises. they do the trains, the farming, to shave off time to get to the results. Subsequently, I think it would be very very difficult to make those normal world zones popular again, without creating some global meta system that makes players want to fight, control, defend, occupy foreign lands for other reason that just virtual profit or goods.

there is tears and honor in WvW. I think most of us feels it's the star of this game, even though it's not everyones favorite way of playing. They have made a massive PvP gamemode that actually works. (overlooking all the flaws).

Question; what if things like ascended armor, (new ascended backpices) had more unique tasks that made people have to do events in zones or try to dominate zones (keep the centaurs for hanging any control in arathi highlands for example) to get the rewards?

Basically, making the requirements for rewards about more global issues/events, instead of just kill a monster for item x or component y.?

Retro

I would be perfectly fine if they provided alternative routes to the same goal. A lot of the ballyhoo over Ascended gear when it first came out is that you could only get it via Fractals. And the more level-headed members of the community said "Just wait, there will be plenty of ways to get it soon enough." Almost a year later, you can grab Ascended accessories from Fractals, Laurels (+Badges of Honor for the WvW ones), Guild Commendations, and the Mystic Toilet.

You can already get Ascended weapons from both crafting or (very rarely) as a drop. I imagine as time goes on we'll see more and more ways of getting them, and armor too eventually. It just takes a little time, and it seems like ArenaNet is very careful to make sure that one method doesn't become the easiest (and thus, the de facto "only way" to get them).

As for getting ascended materials before 80, I agree 100%. I think we'll probably see this change at some point, just so that you don't feel like you're wasting an opportunity opening loot bags or complete JPs as you're leveling up.

I'm also okay with there being very specific tasks to get very specific things. I think the idea of a precursor 'scavenger hunt' that takes you all over the world doing things is a good idea as well.

I would be perfectly fine if they provided alternative routes to the same goal. A lot of the ballyhoo over Ascended gear when it first came out is that you could only get it via Fractals. And the more level-headed members of the community said "Just wait, there will be plenty of ways to get it soon enough." Almost a year later, you can grab Ascended accessories from Fractals, Laurels (+Badges of Honor for the WvW ones), Guild Commendations, and the Mystic Toilet.

You can already get Ascended weapons from both crafting or (very rarely) as a drop. I imagine as time goes on we'll see more and more ways of getting them, and armor too eventually. It just takes a little time, and it seems like ArenaNet is very careful to make sure that one method doesn't become the easiest (and thus, the de facto "only way" to get them).

As for getting ascended materials before 80, I agree 100%. I think we'll probably see this change at some point, just so that you don't feel like you're wasting an opportunity opening loot bags or complete JPs as you're leveling up.

I'm also okay with there being very specific tasks to get very specific things. I think the idea of a precursor 'scavenger hunt' that takes you all over the world doing things is a good idea as well.

i like how they try to keep karma and skill points relevant. they are very much sorts of currencies that are bought by doing xp driven activites, which keeps the game go round and round!

hythloday

More deets on the Edge of the Mists.

Edge of the Mists will have a lot of content elements but much less arbitrary than the current maps. You won’t see random wolves wandering along the plains but there might be a nice cave with wolves and a Boss wolf den mother where players might go to farm and others might go to gank unsuspecting farmers. Here are some existing examples which are subject to change.

-Some bridges between islands are currently destructible and then can be repaired with supply.
-There is currently an objective that internally we call the altar which you capture by being the world who kills the most Elementals near it. Holding it allows allied players to run through and get a powerful buff that persists until they are downed.
-The desert region has an ogre theme currently where objectives may be guarded by ogres and their griffon pets. There may be unique ogre siege weapons in this area.
-The current arctic area keep lord is a Kodan with a giant hammer who can collapse the ceiling on enemies, breaks stuns with a powerful ability, has a in knockdown shockwave as his basic attack, and is constantly surrounded by a frost aura which chills his attackers and heals him.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Edge-of-the-Mists-FAQ/page/2#post3056848

Edge of the Mists seems like a WvW sandbox to me. Jump in, have fun beating each other with sticks, not worry about the score or whatever. Fun.

Goddamn now I remember why I don't WvW much. 95% running places, 4.5% fights where one side crushes the other because they brought more people, 0.5% interesting.

Edge of the Mists seems like the WvW that some of our officers want without all the drama and politics of regular WvW.

Guys, everyone ask Anno in-game to be the GAF commander!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
done some pvp for first time earlier, structured, team does not help at all I was the only 1 trying

th3dude

Had a blast with missions tonight. Thanks for all that took the time to help me. Love seeing such a large group playing together.

3rLVji6.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is actually incorrect. As long as you can actually get xp credit, which you sometimes can't if the stuff is too high above your level, you get enormous amounts for taking on stuff above your level.
I've started my ascended greatsword grind. It's more expensive / time consuming than I thought it would.
Overall, I think it's fine. But. I feel the a fresh lvl 80 in the future should be able to work towards some of the materials along the way. Because the way you play to get the materials is very specific to train-farming champions.
This seems sort of bizarre to me. Doesn't that get you only Bloodstone Dust, which is the easiest to come by?

I've literally spent maybe 40 minutes total Frostgorge champ farming, ever. It just bores me quickly. But I have enough ascended materials for at least 1 weapon on each of my 80s already, without really having specfically trying. I'd be curious to hear you clarify this I guess, because I don't think I agree.
hate to say it, but I think the game needs certain very unpopular zones shared between clusters of servers. Some people think its community breaking, but I think its worse not to have any community in many of these zones.
Nothing wrong with saying that and I think it's totally a good idea. I bet they would be interested to do it if the technical hurdles are clearable.
im getting almost 200 skill points, what the hell? what are those for now?
Lots o' things
Under crafting, click each item name to see the stuff that can be done with them.
Edge of the Mists seems like a WvW sandbox to me. Jump in, have fun beating each other with sticks, not worry about the score or whatever. Fun.
You're my favorite. :p
done some pvp for first time earlier, structured, team does not help at all I was the only 1 trying
Were you doing hot join?

Great missions tonight btw guys :) island gw2 is good gw2

I enjoyed the process of crafting my ascended weapons, it was a nice incentive to visit a variety of places and do a variety of things. You can make tons of progress towards ascended weapons while leveling just gathering the large amounts of ore and wood needed. Level 80 specific materials are like the smallest part of getting an ascended weapon.

jersoc

I didnt think the grind for ascended was that bad. But I stockpiled the fuck out of mats. Plus I have gold. If you're just starting now I can see it being a pain cause the mats are can be crazy expensive. I could totally craft more if I wasnt so lazy getting the empyreals. I'm just in no rush at all.

I think I may cash in with the armor craze. Fuck if I'm making those ugly ass pieces.

Victrix

*beard*
I missed out on all the funz :<

And more errands tomorrow :[

But I should have time to play I think :D

Query - what's the best way to acquire orichalcum and ancient wood in bulk? Actual harvesting or just running daily events and breaking stuff down?

I'd like to get the weapon crafting professions up to 450 so I can start doing their daily conversions, but gw2crafts.net says it's like 50g raw cost to get that high, money I don't have yet.

Ceres

Banned
I missed out on all the funz :<

And more errands tomorrow :[

But I should have time to play I think :D

Query - what's the best way to acquire orichalcum and ancient wood in bulk? Actual harvesting or just running daily events and breaking stuff down?

I'd like to get the weapon crafting professions up to 450 so I can start doing their daily conversions, but gw2crafts.net says it's like 50g raw cost to get that high, money I don't have yet.

If you have multiple characters with ore all mapped, gathering is the best way.
http://gw2nodes.com/index.php gets updated to list the locations of ori and ancient wood.
Five characters that each gather all 4 maps, I believe you'd get a minimum of 180 ori every day. Ancient wood might be a little less.

Arkanius

Guys, have you seen the Ascended armors lately?
They are different. The details are actually detailed now, and the dye scheme doesnt make you look like a clown anymore.

Mxrz

Weekend wvw has been good outside the giant queue Friday night. FA seemed to out number us Saturday afternoon, but our havoc managed to roll over groups twice our size. Hopefully the closer match will keep people motivated. Have to wonder about our afternoon coverage. We were more or less outnumbered most of yesterday. Mid week could suck.

Complistic

This is actually incorrect. As long as you can actually get xp credit, which you sometimes can't if the stuff is too high above your level, you get enormous amounts for taking on stuff above your level.

You do get slightly more xp. It isn't enough to make up the difference between how much harder it actually is to tag enemies. I had some gaffers run my level 60 ranger to cursed shore when one of the events was busted and was continually spawning mobs. It wasn't worth my time to kill the harder enemies.

This seems sort of bizarre to me. Doesn't that get you only Bloodstone Dust, which is the easiest to come by?

I've literally spent maybe 40 minutes total Frostgorge champ farming, ever. It just bores me quickly. But I have enough ascended materials for at least 1 weapon on each of my 80s already, without really having specfically trying. I'd be curious to hear you clarify this I guess, because I don't think I agree.

I started without mats (I sell everything for money) so I had nothing except 500 bloodstone.

Getting these will take a while.. they don't come easily;
500 Emperyal Shard
500 Dragonite Ore

10 Dark matter < these are accountbound so you can't buy these. you have to salvage your way to them. i have 3. salavaged around 20-40 exotics:I

and these are more expensive now since prices gone up. Which is great. I think it's fantastic that many of these materials are worth more these days. But that is a ingots and planks. so 450 ingots is 900 mithrill or. if you dont buy, it will take a long time.
180 Iron Ingot
90 Steel Ingot
180 Darksteel Ingot
450 Mithril Ingot
12 Globs of Ectoplasm
60 Soft Wood Plank
60 Seasoned Wood Plank
60 Hard Wood Plank
150 Elder Wood Plank

and even more;

20 Pile of Crystaline dust
370 Thermocatalytic Reagent
1 Augur crystal
1 Exotic Inscription
30 Obsidian Shard

I think it's still a bit of a mouthful TBH. particularly if you wanna gear all your characters with primary and secondary wep. I got no problems with it, but I feel right now I have to go out of my way to get stuff. for the whole nine yards.

Arkanius

I guess this is why people don't do PUGs
Today I was doing Arah Path 2 and when we were near the final boss, I was kicked by my party (which was 3 guildmates and 2 random). Not sure what happened to the other guy but I can guess he was kicked as well. Dunno if they sold the path later on, but this is a pretty shitty thing. I reported one of them for LFG abuse (I had his name), but I couldn't get the record of the other two since it wipes the Party chat after you leave the party and get kicked.

I wish I could do something more for those idiots. Ban and burn them all.

Shiokazu

I guess this is why people don't do PUGs
Today I was doing Arah Path 2 and when we were near the final boss, I was kicked by my party (which was 3 guildmates and 2 random). Not sure what happened to the other guy but I can guess he was kicked as well. Dunno if they sold the path later on, but this is a pretty shitty thing. I reported one of them for LFG abuse (I had his name), but I couldn't get the record of the other two since it wipes the Party chat after you leave the party and get kicked.

I wish I could do something more for those idiots. Ban and burn them all.

we need some phoenixes down to throw at the guild...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I started without mats (I sell everything for money) so I had nothing except 500 bloodstone.
I'm just clearly still missing something; you can't sell any basic ascended mats anyway. Bloodstone Dust is all you get from champ farming, so if you already had that...?
Getting these will take a while.. they don't come easily;
500 Emperyal Shard
500 Dragonite Ore
I'm just confused because you said the process pushes you toward (seemingly only toward) champ farming. Champ farming even for 400 hours will not get you any of either of these mats. Whether or not they "come easy" kinda depends on what you do while playing I guess. I have well over 1000 of each and I really did not specifically "go after" them at all.

To clarify,
Empyreal Fragments come from jumping puzzles/open world chests, guild puzzles/rushes, dungeons/fractals and camps and towers in WvW
Dragonite Ore comes from World Boss chests, guild challenges, and keeps and castles in WvW

Just over the course of playing the game as I do, I've amassed stacks of these to the point where the most appealing thing about leveling my crafting wasn't getting my first ascended weapon, but reclaiming the inventory space taken up by all my mats (I have started to suspect, looking back, that this was intentional).

But if I had wanted to acquire them at a much faster rate, this area of the game rewards you heavily for having multiple characters:
-Here's a ludicrous map for farming Empyreal Fragments making 500 per play session quite practical if you have 3 or more high-level characters
Empyreal Fragment dungeon rewards are also not daily-bound, so you could just repeatedly run a rotation of the quickest paths multiple times for 20 per run.

-Dragonite Ore comes in ~20 increments from the dragons, Golem, and Fire Shaman, and a guaranteed 30 from the Orr temples and Karka Queen (lesser from everything else so if speed if the factor, they're not worth it). This is also character bound, like fragments, so if you have multiple characters, keep your eyes on a page like this and combined with guesting, it's again totally possible to get 500 within a single play session (15 Orr temple events, or 10 temples plus a handful of others, etc.)

Again I want to stress I'm not advocating doing it this way (it would bore me quickly), just pointing out that it's quite possible and not particularly difficult to rapidly acquire these materials.
10 Dark matter < these are accountbound so you can't buy these. you have to salvage your way to them. i have 3. salavaged around 20-40 exotics:I
All basic Ascended mats are account bound. RNG being the limiting factor here, definitely makes dark matter the most annoying. I'd just suggest making sure to use a Black Lion kit, and as far as obtaining your exotics, anything from the 180-token level from dungeon vendors (such as helms or greaves) is great (because running them will also have earned you gold and empyreal fragments).

and these are more expensive now since prices gone up. Which is great. I think it's fantastic that many of these materials are worth more these days. But that is a ingots and planks. so 450 ingots is 900 mithrill or. if you dont buy, it will take a long time.
180 Iron Ingot
90 Steel Ingot
180 Darksteel Ingot
450 Mithril Ingot
12 Globs of Ectoplasm
60 Soft Wood Plank
60 Seasoned Wood Plank
60 Hard Wood Plank
150 Elder Wood Plank
Prices have gone up (and seem to be stabilizing gently now), but even so, this list is a bit miselading. It certainly looks overwhelming, but discounting the Ectos (which you can obtain in like an hour of doing world bosses, which would also be getting you Dragonite... notice a pattern emerging? :p) we're honestly looking at less than 20 gold for this list. And you can mitigate that even further; even outside of gathering yourself, if buying you should be buying ore rather than ingots and refining yourself, and you can look into material promotion in the MF which can save you even more- bear in mind that you can do this for refined materials too, i.e. planks/ingots versus logs/ore.
and even more;

20 Pile of Crystaline dust
370 Thermocatalytic Reagent
1 Augur crystal
1 Exotic Inscription
30 Obsidian Shard
On this list, the Shards are the only onerous bit: either an open Balthazar temple for Skill Points, a variable amount of Karma for Orr Jewelry Boxes, or Fractal relics. The rest is ultimately pretty trivial, honestly.

Truly, by far far far far the most burdensome part of creating an Ascended weapon is getting the crafting discipline to 500 in the first place. That will take either far more money or far more time than the above. However, it also only needs to be done once per craft, and once reached, another avenue of profit is open to you in selling the refined Ascended mats that people want to make their weapons quicker.

I think it's still a bit of a mouthful TBH. particularly if you wanna gear all your characters with primary and secondary wep. I got no problems with it, but I feel right now I have to go out of my way to get stuff. for the whole nine yards.
Not just primary and secondary weapons, I want every weapon type each of my character classes can use! I'll just craft one as each character reaches the ascended mats needed per weapon; there's no reason for me to rush. And I think it's this point where we come up against a philosophical distinction... why do you feel like you have to go out of your way right now? Or maybe, if you feel like you have to go out of your way, why do it at all? I guess there's deciding to get it as quickly as possible, deciding not to put any effort toward it at all, and everything in between. But if you decide you must have it as quickly as possible, I dunno how anything done along that path could be going out of your way.

Honestly, it seems like a lot when you're just looking at the broad view of everything you need to make one weapon, but ultimately given enough time I can already tell they will start to feel pretty trivial to acquire (like all other gear in this game, except Legendaries and the crazier unique Exotics :p).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom