• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceres

Banned
Got enough time (away from my regular node farming time) to get back out into WvW. All I can say is what they flying hell? I thought the skill lag may have been a little exaggerated.....yeah, boy was I wrong. WTF happened?? It really is unplayable.

Having mostly been in the BL, there's some really funky stuff going on. I swear I never have an issue with zerg v zerg skill lag. But I've had all my skills lock up several times simply in 1v1, against engineers especially.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's no doubt the Nightmare Court are on board for this, it's confirmed. However, Scarlet really doesn't like them or finds their methods too pedestrian (they were completely kept out of her project creating the Clockheart/secret TA base, for example), so I'm puzzled on the full connection.
If you guys watched the video it says that a "Mysterious Benefactor" is behind the Krait rising up like this, and that the Nightmare Court is also helping them out. Now I know for sure that Scarlet has something to do with this.

I hope we are able to scale this tower on the outside like a spiral, all the way to the top, instead of actually going inside of it in an instance.

I hope this LS is not just the introduction of the tower, and that we actually get to interact with it. I worry that ANET will do what they usually do which is introduce a cool, mysterious thing into the story but all we are left with is a bunch of questions and no answers.
Knowing nothing about what it will actually entail content-wise, I do not think this will be "just a non-interactive introduction" in this case. I fully expect to be on (or in, I guess we will see) the tower, come October 29th. I hope it isn't instanced, personally, but have an open mind.
You'd think people would notice the Krait building a huge ass tower in the backyard of the human's Queendom.
Bwuh? People did notice. Majory Delaqua is assigned to the case and whoever orders Kasmeer around has her in Kessex as well. There's a little base on a ridge on the edge of Viathan Lake. Right now the tower is obscured by a powerful cloak/barrier, but you can actually see the space it occupies.
Having mostly been in the BL, there's some really funky stuff going on. I swear I never have an issue with zerg v zerg skill lag. But I've had all my skills lock up several times simply in 1v1, against engineers especially.
Jira's unbridled enthusiasm aside, there are definitely some server/cluster/pod load issues occurring right now.

Skill lag regardless of situation in WvW is consistent with what I experienced when I went to an empty corner of Sparkfly yesterday evening while a crazily lagged Tequatl encounter was occurring on SBI main; I still experienced skill lag to a lesser degree just fighting drakes alone, and to an even lesser degree just fighting a random vet in the packed SBI Labyrinth. Meanwhile, overflows across all content areas have been totally smooth and lag-free for me. Obviously my personal experience is a useless sample size, but it's nonetheless consistent with very high load demand in total per server (again, slash cluster slash pod).

I do hope it gets some backend power allocated for a fix, with WvW moment-to-moment gameplay at the high tiers getting the most priority. Personally the queuing, as it has always been for me, is the most frustrating issue. I just don't have the patience for it with so little indication of how long the wait will be, and since I enjoy lots of content of variable length in the game, I never have any clue if I'd be able to accomplish multiple tasks or get interrupted in the middle of the first one while queued up. Gotta say I could really see the Edge of the Mists as a new second home for my characters, where queuing is never a concern and ostensibly skill lag would be lesser anyway. When it comes to Teq, for now I'm happy to just find an adequate overflow (or try leading some newbies on an inadequate one) and fighting him there. Means less camping/waiting anyway :>

Lunar15

You'd think people would notice the Krait building a huge ass tower in the backyard of the human's Queendom.

There's a magic veil. You can't see it from the outside.

EDIT: Beaten.

Also, I didn't have sound so I couldn't hear what was said during the trailer. Neat to see the nightmare court up to something, I always liked those guys as villains.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah the Nightmare Court are probably my favorite racial-counterpart faction. Caderyn got mad shafted in TA though.

Ceres

Banned
Personally the queuing, as it has always been for me, is the most frustrating issue. I just don't have the patience for it with so little indication of how long the wait will be, and since I enjoy lots of content of variable length in the game, I never have any clue if I'd be able to accomplish multiple tasks or get interrupted in the middle of the first one while queued up. Gotta say I could really see the Edge of the Mists as a new second home for my characters, where queuing is never a concern and ostensibly skill lag would be lesser anyway. When it comes to Teq, for now I'm happy to just find an adequate overflow (or try leading some newbies on an inadequate one) and fighting him there. Means less camping/waiting anyway :>

EB is the only thing with a super long queue outside of Friday night. SBI BL was never more than 15min last night and probably leaned more toward 5min. If you want to queue for EB, just head to another BL first and assist elsewhere while you wait on the EB queue. I haven't even touched EB so far although might swing in when I first get home from work before heading back to defend our BL.
I haven't done teq in over a week but yeah, the overflow is a pain with that if you don't have an organized guild group taking it on.

Also, I didn't have sound so I couldn't hear what was said during the trailer. Neat to see the nightmare court up to something, I always liked those guys as villains.

Actually, I rewatched it and they do not mention the Nightmare Court on the video. I just read it on that site and I thought it was from the video.

Lunar15

Also, since all of the new enemies have been some combination of a Major enemy (ones with dungeons) and a Minor enemy (ones without dungeons) (aside from molten alliance which is two major), all that leaves are Sons of Svanir and Ghosts.

So, by that logic, the next enemies we fight will be the Ghost-taurs and the Grawl of Svanir.

Also, since all of the new enemies have been some combination of a Major enemy (ones with dungeons) and a Minor enemy (ones without dungeons) (aside from molten alliance which is two major), all that leaves are Sons of Svanir and Ghosts.

So, by that logic, the next enemies we fight will be the Ghost-taurs and the Grawl of Svanir.

I like your logic.

Can't wait to fight Ascalonian Ghosts riding Cenaturs or vice-versa. I think it is more likely that we would see Grawl-Ogre or Grawl-Jotun rather than Svanir because I doubt Svanir would work with anyone else.

Am I the only one who thinks the story efforts have been lackluster? In that QA back at gamescon, I didn't recognize the story staff.

I really dislike scarlett. mostly for her looks. its terrible. she looks like a nintendo 64 character!

I just don't feel much peril. I think the best was what they were trying to do with the refugees.

the problem is IMO, you need a long time to develop a good script and make a great antagonist. everyone is just waiting for an expansion that is not even being worked on. we want more dragons or dragon minions or learn more about the gods. I thought fractals was going to tell a lot more narrative than it has thus far honestly.

Plus, we need new characters. kiel, tassi and the others. Not very memorable characters. Quite wooden and hollow!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EB is the only thing with a super long queue outside of Friday night. SBI BL was never more than 15min last night and probably leaned more toward 5min. If you want to queue for EB, just head to another BL first and assist elsewhere while you wait on the EB queue. I haven't even touched EB so far although might swing in when I first get home from work before heading back to defend our BL.
I haven't done teq in over a week but yeah, the overflow is a pain with that if you don't have an organized guild group taking it on.
That's a good idea I hadn't thought of honestly (using whichever BL I can get into as an EB queue). Last time I had a queue for SBI was on a reset night and about an hour, but 15 minutes last night wouldn't have been a big deal.
Am I the only one who thinks the story efforts have been lackluster?
Oh yeah, you're the ooooonly one ;)

I was hoping that we'd have had some more revelations by this point rather than just a long list of partially-answered questions. There have been a few interesting story threads, but nothing truly compelling especially with the primary villain lacking any clear motivation.

Frankly, narrative is just not ArenaNet's strong suit. It never has been. They're great, even fantastic at world-building, ancillary lore, and creating lots of little, internally consistent secrets and moments in time you can piece together yourself for really fascinating storytelling outside of any cohesive narrative. But when it comes time to just directly involve the player in a linear storyline, it all falls flat in a hurry. Anyone who is idealizing the GW1 "plots" is using some serious nostalgia goggles. Spotty patches of interest, almost inevitably dropped without explanation for another plotline, and always taking a backseat to the surrounding lore in holding my attention.

I honestly don't know what MMO dev does it right, though I guess Bioware is the easy answer and Funcom's writers (well, Tornquist) have probably put some incredible storylines into TSW.

They still won't hire me, so we just gotta take the good with the bad ;P
Plus, we need new characters. kiel, tassi and the others. Not very memorable characters. Quite wooden and hollow!
Rox, Braham, Marjory, and Kasmeer are the good ones. Also Evon. And some people seem to like Faren though he bugs me.

Though the true star of the game is and will always be Hobo-tron.

xeris

I like your logic.

Can't wait to fight Ascalonian Ghosts riding Cenaturs or vice-versa. I think it is more likely that we would see Grawl-Ogre or Grawl-Jotun rather than Svanir because I doubt Svanir would work with anyone else.

Vice-versa as in Centaurs riding Ascalonian Ghosts? That would be trippy.

I honestly don't know what MMO dev does it right, though I guess Bioware is the easy answer and Funcom's writers (well, Tornquist) have probably put some incredible storylines into TSW.

Bioware Austin (SWTOR) had really good storylines. TSW's writing team wrote really great quests and had incredibly good lore that were all takes on established myths, creatures, etc... The lore itself I would credit to Ragnar but I'm sure the writing staff handled the actual quests. The real beauty of that game was the detail in the investigation quests that took details from everything in the real world that you could imagine and intertwined them with conspiracy theories and all kinds of stuff. Cyphers, puzzles, abstract references that required players to look up info from websites (both real and fake) that would provide clues or context to the next step. I mean they really melded ARGs into the fabric of those quests and that was awesome.

If Anet could somehow channel SWTOR and TSW's strengths in their stories and quests.. that would be quite an amazing game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I do not see how she could be tied to any Elder Dragon.
I have my theories.
Thats what I kept bouncing off of last night. Okay I was getting frustrated by bouncing off of nothing...
You can't see the barrier so clearly underwater, but if you get to the shore and strafe around it a bit you can get a really good sense of how big it is.
How dare you forget Frostbite again!
whoops. shame :(

I should start penning The Delightful Misadventures of Frostbite & Hobo-tron

You can't see the barrier so clearly underwater, but if you get to the shore and strafe around it a bit you can get a really good sense of how big it is.

whoops. shame :(

I should start penning The Delightful Misadventures of Frostbite & Hobo-tron

I hear self publishing is all the rage now.

I know, but still, the logistics of such a construction project. surely someone noticed all the krait carrying building material somewhere, only for nothing to be springing up in the normal Krait places.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I remember you suggesting during an AC run that the hidden turkeys were the masters of the elder dragons. Does Scarlet tie into this?
I hear there are some cats in the Borderlands of the Mists that are in league with the turkeys but I have yet to see them myself.
I'm down for some Tower. I just hope the rumors I heard about it are true
You're incorrigible. :p
I know, but still, the logistics of such a construction project. surely someone noticed all the krait carrying building material somewhere, only for nothing to be springing up in the normal Krait places.
Viathan Lake is a "normal Krait place," the Blood Witch has been set up down there since launch. Now there are piles of wood stacked underwater as one might notice around any of their complex Deeps structures, just on a more orderly and larger scale. I'm sure it started out looking like pretty typical Krait behavior. By the time the project had become big enough to disturb the local Quaggan population and required the veil/barrier around the central tower, the investigation by NPCs in game was already underway. Honestly this one was handled pretty well from an immersion standpoint.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Welcome back! How long ago did you stop? Are ya in/want in the gaf guild?

Good news is you have until Nov. 11th to check out the halloween stuff if interested.

Bad news is if you're into WvW this is quite a laggy time to return.

Lunar15

My theory:

Pale Tree is a manifestation of the Dream, Mordremoth is a manifestation of the Nightmare. The two could be linked, and Mordremoth only lives in Nighmare form. However, just as all sylvari are born from the dream, what if Scarlet was born from the nightmare? What if she, unlike the Nightmare Court which merely pays service to the Nightmare, is actually an avatar of the Nightmare? Just as the Pale Tree has its own avatar, it could be that the Nightmare does as well.

In simplest terms, what if nightmare and dream coexist on the same plane, and the nightmare (read, mordremoth) has decided to use the pale tree as a means of escape? Nightmare Court set the stage, and Scarlet is the herald. Mordremoth herself could be soon to follow.

Imagine if the ancient races who originally fought the Dragons used the seed of the pale tree to contain Mordremoth? Think about it, it serves dual purposes because the sylvari are a built-in safety mechanisim. If Mordremoth were ever released, or any of the dragons were to awaken, the dream, the pale tree, and the sylvari would also emerge to fight them. As Zhaitain's corruption did not affect the Sylvari, this already paints them as a weapon created by the ancient races to combat the dragons. They're the ace in the hole, the secret gambit the ancient races placed in the hands of future generations to help turn the tide.

Of course, this is one of those things where the fact that I said it means it won't actually happen. :p

dorkimoe

bought this game day 1, played for 2 weeks and quit. Thinking about getting back into it. Didnt quit for any reason. I really enjoyed the gameplay.

I had fun in pvp too, except 1v1 i died to everyone :(

Retro

bought this game day 1, played for 2 weeks and quit. Thinking about getting back into it. Didnt quit for any reason. I really enjoyed the gameplay.

I had fun in pvp too, except 1v1 i died to everyone :(

Well, the good news is, you're kind of in the middle of the current events; the WvW season just started (though it's in a state) and Halloween is only a week old. There's also a year's worth of quality of life improvements and balance changes and some new stuff to check out.

Post your account name.#### for a GAFGuild invite if you want one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I still want to do a big Orr cleansing coming up, but anyone down to do Balthazar tonight? Now that I see obsidian shards as the "magic inventory-cleaning currency" I think it should be a "thing GAF does" like the Karka Queen.

I still want to do a big Orr cleansing coming up, but anyone down to do Balthazar tonight? Now that I see obsidian shards as the "magic inventory-cleaning currency" I think it should be a "thing GAF does" like the Karka Queen.

I will help you. 9pm Eastern?

Also, this weekend it was impossible to get anyone to do Karka Queen. I guess people are having too much fun in WvW.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
after the first reset tequatl I suppose probably around 9:30.

Wish it were easier to advertise groups for open world stuff on the lfg, besides going to la map chat, hah.

Jira

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/New-Support-System-Coming

In order to offer you improved customer support, we are changing the core system that we use for responding to support e-mails and tickets. This change will be effective 23 October 2013. The new system does not require you to use a support account. Instead, you’ll use a web interface to find help in our Knowledge Base and submit support requests without signing in. Once you’ve submitted a request via the site, we’ll get in touch with you directly via e-mail.

While things will look a bit different when this change takes place, all the existing content we offer in our Knowledge Base will be available, and our ability to assist you accurately and promptly will be enhanced. As the new system is expanded in the coming weeks, we offer improved localization and more content to assist you with your customer support questions.

The upcoming system change will not allow us to copy or carry over existing tickets; everything will start new. Therefore, if you have any ticket history in the “My Stuff” section of this site that you wish to save, we advise creating a copy on your computer or e-mail account. Additionally, if you currently have an open support ticket, you may wish to save the most recent e-mail that you received about the subject from Support. Then, if you still need help when we switch to the new system, you can create a new ticket and include the previous dialogue within it.

We’re very pleased to be making this change, and welcome your feedback in the coming weeks.

Proven

My theory:

Pale Tree is a manifestation of the Dream, Mordremoth is a manifestation of the Nightmare. The two could be linked, and Mordremoth only lives in Nighmare form. However, just as all sylvari are born from the dream, what if Scarlet was born from the nightmare? What if she, unlike the Nightmare Court which merely pays service to the Nightmare, is actually an avatar of the Nightmare? Just as the Pale Tree has its own avatar, it could be that the Nightmare does as well.

In simplest terms, what if nightmare and dream coexist on the same plane, and the nightmare (read, mordremoth) has decided to use the pale tree as a means of escape? Nightmare Court set the stage, and Scarlet is the herald. Mordremoth herself could be soon to follow.

Imagine if the ancient races who originally fought the Dragons used the seed of the pale tree to contain Mordremoth? Think about it, it serves dual purposes because the sylvari are a built-in safety mechanisim. If Mordremoth were ever released, or any of the dragons were to awaken, the dream, the pale tree, and the sylvari would also emerge to fight them. As Zhaitain's corruption did not affect the Sylvari, this already paints them as a weapon created by the ancient races to combat the dragons. They're the ace in the hole, the secret gambit the ancient races placed in the hands of future generations to help turn the tide.

Of course, this is one of those things where the fact that I said it means it won't actually happen. :p

Your views on Scarlet don't exactly match up due to this short story: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/short-story-what-scarlet-saw/

The key really is what the Nightmare really is, and how it's linked to the Dream/Pale Tree. You can easily come up with an assumption that makes the rest of your theory possible, but yeah, still an assumption.

Lunar15

Your views on Scarlet don't exactly match up due to this short story: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/short-story-what-scarlet-saw/

The key really is what the Nightmare really is, and how it's linked to the Dream/Pale Tree. You can easily come up with an assumption that makes the rest of your theory possible, but yeah, still an assumption.

Yeah, it's basically fan-fiction on my part. I was more saying what I'd want to happen than what I think actually would. I didn't go back to check her story, but I did remember her being in the dream, not the nightmare, so yeah it doesn't check out.

Still, I'm just saying: even if they haven't figured out what they want Scarlet to be, there's ways to kind of reverse canonize her into being some servant of Mordremoth. If you go along with the whole mordremoth = the nightmare theory, then you could just say that a bit of it infected her while she was in the dream and it just grew and grew over time.

Victrix

*beard*
Thanks to Hawk and Lazor for dragging my butt through TA Aetherblade.

Took us a bit long, but that was a cool dungeon, even if I have't the faintest idea who the Aetherblades or Scarlet are, or why I should care, or who the Lionsguard are avenging.

One more Sorrow's Embrace path and two more CoF paths and then I'm on to the last three dungeons...

Still planning on getting zone completions for Orr in at some point, and I need to do the storyline up to the end before I tackle Arah in any case. I'd like to do both Straits->Cursed Shore completions and finish my story before doing Arah.

I haven't even touched Fractals yet! Is there a regular fractal group in the GAF guild? I need to start earning my relics...

Arkanius

My two cents:

Sylvari are minions of a Nature Elder Dragon, and the Nightmare is their true form or manifestation.
However, due Ventari tablet, the true nature of the Sylvari was warped, into human-like, gentle beings. The fact that when they wake up, they all have the Nightmare in them, and fight against it due the Pale Tree (Which is based on Ventari's tablet) makes me feel that this is a case of "Bad natured turned good" and not "Good corrupted by a bad influence"

Artadius

I would appreciate a guild invite.

I'm going to stick to homeworlding on Maguuma where the WvW is pretty good so far... but current guild is not very active in much else.

Artadius.9540

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks to Hawk and Lazor for dragging my butt through TA Aetherblade.
Considering it was 2/5ths first-timers we did very well. Honestly if not for all that ridiculousness trying for the Foreman acheievement it would have been a pretty damn smooth run. I dunno why we tried that honestly, it's the toughest one in there and I definitely think knowing that fight beforehand is crucial. Oozes, Slick/Sparki and Clockheart were awesome though.

From that run, I got my Mini Clockheart and he's pretty adorable <3 So thank you!

Took us a bit long, but that was a cool dungeon, even if I have't the faintest idea who the Aetherblades or Scarlet are, or why I should care, or who the Lionsguard are avenging.
The Aetherblades are sky pirates powered by Inquest tech, led by Scarlet who is a psychotic supergenius sadistic anarchist vegetable, or something. Here's her more-questions-than-answers backstory. The Lionguard are avenging Theo Ashford- late member of the Captain's Council in Lion's Arch (and final descendant of the Ashfords in Ascalon if you played GW1).

Why you should care is another matter entirely and I don't have a good answer on that. I did hear, however, that a payoff is coming, so maybe knowing all this stuff will eventually be worthwhile after all, but it's not something I'm counting on.
One more Sorrow's Embrace path and two more CoF paths and then I'm on to the last three dungeons...
Which SE is left, just 3? The other 2 CoF paths are both good, too.
I haven't even touched Fractals yet! Is there a regular fractal group in the GAF guild? I need to start earning my relics...
I'll be getting back into them in a big way with the Fractal update, which ostensibly is within the next 5 weeks.

Had a fun chat on mumble last night! Everything from sanity meters to the sub MMOs on the horizon to the nature of greed and ego to the future of console gaming. A bit off-topic, but: Did you guys know that Star Wars: The Old Republic cost roughly half as much to create as all six Star Wars films combined? I seriously cannot get over how much they poured into that game. To recoup this cost with their initial financial model (not including upkeep/maintenance costs), they would have needed to sustain greater than 1 million subscribers for the first year of the game's launch. By July of 2012 (8 months) the base had fallen under one million, and of course, in under 11 months, the pure subscription model was abandoned in favor of a f2p option. Incredibly, while its subscription base didn't stabilize until falling below the 500k mark, the increase in revenue since the move to f2p has been so significant that the game remains (after some probably quite necessary cuts) a stable profit center despite its extraordinary budget and initial failings. There may certainly still be profit to be found in the traditional sub model if you set your sights low- FFXIV's (ARR) expectations were exceeded by any stretch, and while it has only been two months it looks like they can at least carve out a profitable niche. But it's only going to be harder to justify from here on out for new releases.

edit: oh and this is that Oculus Rift game I mentioned, Alone

Raide

Quick Guild question. Is it just the one character that joins a guild, or is it the account? Is it restricted to certain races or can you have mixed guilds?

Mxrz

Account. Can join up to 5 guilds. Anything goes. * Including region now that I think about it, have some gw1 members on euro servers in guild.

Lunar15

Quick Guild question. Is it just the one character that joins a guild, or is it the account? Is it restricted to certain races or can you have mixed guilds?

Guilds are tied to your account. Every character you have is part of the guild automatically.

Also, there's no race-specific guild things, or anything like that. It's basically just joining a group of people. You can also be a part of multiple guilds, but keep in mind that you only "represent" one at a time.

Representing gives the guild points for completing activities, which can then be spent on benefits for the guild. Representing also gives you access to the guild chat, so even if you've joined more than one guild, you can only see one guild chat at a time.

Raide

Account. Can join up to 5 guilds. Anything goes. * Including region now that I think about it, have some gw1 members on euro servers in guild.

Huh. Interesting! I am Euro but on the US Storm...thingy server. I am guessing the name you need is the one with numbers after it to join?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Either your account or any character name is just fine.

After you get the invite, don't forget to actually click the represent button to be "active." You can join other guilds and switch between them at will with this represent button.

Finally you must be representing the hosting guild at the time of a guild mission to receive the associated rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom