• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Either your account or any character name is just fine.

After you get the invite, don't forget to actually click the represent button to be "active." You can join other guilds and switch between them at will with this represent button.

Finally you must be representing the hosting guild at the time of a guild mission to receive the associated rewards.

raide.8035 is me.

I guess the represent shows I am actually active?

Victrix

*beard*
Man the official forums are awful. I mean I know this shouldn't surprise me, but christ. They are in dire need of some iron fisted moderation, there are so many negative trash posts that have zero content.

I went there to try to find some useful Elementalist advice, but nope, it's just an endless procession of people whining about how terrible Eles are.

It's also really difficult to talk about any sort of pve builds in-game because 90% of the answers I get are 'it doesn't matter' or 'use Berserker's', which is pretty useless for experimenting or developing a build.

On the upshot, I've run through about four different playable builds so far, each of which is interesting in its own right.

Now I just need to earn more money because gearing them is expensive D:

So far the content I most enjoy is dungeons, as builds don't matter at all for open world bosses, though they do affect soloing in terms of speed/convenience. I'm assuming Fractals will be similar to dungeons, so I'm looking forward to playing with some of the builds in there.

This game is in desperate, desperate need of a trait/build manager and an equipment locker/armory system. Switching between builds and gear is a giant cludge.

Lunar15

This game is in desperate, desperate need of a trait/build manager and an equipment locker/armory system. Switching between builds and gear is a giant cludge.

Yeah, this is pretty much the only major quality of life change I've been asking for. You'd think they'd be all over it too for a game that gets a decent chunk of revenue from armor skins in the cash store.

Complistic

Yeah, this is pretty much the only major quality of life change I've been asking for. You'd think they'd be all over it too for a game that gets a decent chunk of revenue from armor skins in the cash store.

Also my last serious QoL change that I can think of at the moment. I would buy/care more about all the skins/armor/town clothes/whatever if were easier to to actually own them. Right now unique skins and such are just a burden on my bank space, and it eliminates all my desire for their premium black lion skins.

In game colin did say they were working on town clothe equipping. And that was a 3 or 4 months ago.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm almost 60% done world completion right now, it's addictive. Still haven't done the Halloween stuff at all, anyone up for running the dungeon tonight?
No Halloween dungeon per se; from what I hear (haven't done the second yet) both instances are soloable if you so choose, though you can bring in any number.

dorkimoe

Well, the good news is, you're kind of in the middle of the current events; the WvW season just started (though it's in a state) and Halloween is only a week old. There's also a year's worth of quality of life improvements and balance changes and some new stuff to check out.

Post your account name.#### for a GAFGuild invite if you want one.

i will post my account name when i get back in! probably gonna boot it up this weekend. halloween stuff? oooo I got to teach myself how to play again. I hope crafting isnt as hard as it was

leng jai

Apparently it was omitted from launch because they had other priorities. Off the top of my head I can't think of too many things that would be more important than this in a game that has:

- Three different modes that require different builds: WvW, PvE and underwater combat. It's funny they hype up underwater combat but don't allow you separate trait setups for them. Did they seriously think the builds would be the same for land and underwater?

- Supposedly this game is entirely about getting skins/cosmetics and yet it couldn't be anymore annoying changing skins and carrying around extra armour sets.

Also how on earth are people playing WvW in EB for the last few days? There was literally 2 seconds of skill lag the entire time I was there yesterday B(

Levito

Banned
No Halloween dungeon per se; from what I hear (haven't done the second yet) both instances are soloable if you so choose, though you can bring in any number.

Didn't know that, Jira just told me on Steam that there was 2 new instances and I thought it was a group affair.

Didn't know that, Jira just told me on Steam that there was 2 new instances and I thought it was a group affair.
Just one instance as part of the story but you do it twice to complete the story.

You can do the Mad Kings Labyrinth which is like a farming map where you run around opening doors and kilimg Halloween baddies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Apparently it was omitted from launch because they had other priorities. Off the top of my head I can't think of too many things that would be more important than this in a game that has:

- Three different modes that require different builds: WvW, PvE and underwater combat. It's funny they hype up underwater combat but don't allow you separate trait setups for them. Did they seriously think the builds would be the same for land and underwater?

- Supposedly this game is entirely about getting skins/cosmetics and yet it couldn't be anymore annoying changing skins and carrying around extra armour sets.

Also how on earth are people playing WvW in EB for the last few days? There was literally 2 seconds of skill lag the entire time I was there yesterday B(

Skill lag and EB are like are like milk and sugar, you assume they're will be an insane amount of Skill lag and you prepare according, normally with builds that high frequency skill useage (since those won't work), signets or nice length AoE that ideally require a single input..

If tonight's experience taught me anything, it's taught me that you don't bother doing the Tequatl event until you've had your daily disconnect. And if you haven't had your daily disconnect yet, you will.

Lunar15

If tonight's experience taught me anything, it's taught me that you don't bother doing the Tequatl event until you've had your daily disconnect. And if you haven't had your daily disconnect yet, you will.

I have almost never had a disconnect. That's really strange. Some people get them all the time, and others never get them.

Victrix

*beard*
Come to think of it, outside of launch week, I can barely think of a time I've ever had any connection issues with GW or GW2.

Come to think of it, outside of launch week, I can barely think of a time I've ever had any connection issues with GW or GW2.
Arenanet's network technology is rather advanced and has been for some time. Like hot updates and patches being made available as needed instead of requiring a "patch day" and allowing players hours to patch before forcing a client reboot.

WoW and others have only recently had stuff like that.

Virzeth

10/18/13 - WvW Season 1 starts, from my point of view terrible lag spikes and DCs in empy and full maps alike.

11/18/13 - br0ken_shad0w admits that was a typo, probably...?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man I keep forgetting about the Clock tower! Maybe I'll hop on and do that tonight... so sleepy though. Hawk need nap :(

wow, getting the achievement reward this time around was surprisingly fast and easy.

Nearing lv 70 on my Engineer as well. The ad realm is fantastic XP, save for the really long miniboss fights.

shame i'm out of XP boosters though, won't get another till the next achievement unlock.

Wasn't that impressed with the ending boss fight though, not nearly as fun, nor as useful, as the one from last year.

Ceres

Banned
Yeah, my necro has been in that realm to help level him up. Luckily have birthday boosters which last 24 hrs of play time. I've actually not been back since I got my candy corn mini and haven't finished up the rest of the achievements.
Not really my cup of tea for PvE gameplay.

On the WvW end, I'm finding that FA does not have very good roamers. It will be back to reality with how bad I am at 1v1s next week. Its hilarious when my support build guardian easily takes out a thief trying to gank people coming out of our spawn. The whole purpose of this guys build should be burst takedowns and yet I don't think he got me below 75% health.
I did have a 5min duel with a DB thief while on my ranger late Monday night in the ruins. I think it would have gone a lot longer but some other SBI guys showed up and chased him off. Was actually kind of fun and made me miss playing more on my ranger.

Raide

Enjoying the Guardian. Got one of the Staves and they are crazy! I do like how every class has very different weapon skills. Not too much cross-over, which is nice. I do find that some areas seem really easy to get into a mess. I had to explore the human area way more to level up without getting murdered by monsters. The Charr area seems pretty relaxed compared.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn I really wouldn't mind getting a Teq kill in and crushing the clock tower tonight but I just dunno if I can stay awake. Stupid corporeal body needing sleep and crap.

Is there any good introduction and/or convince me to buy GW2 videos lately?

a few people have been asking me if the game was worth buying, but most of the motivational GW2 videos are from beta or before. I want to find some video that highlights the game strengths as well as many the good updates.

I only beat the Clock tower once last year. I loved it for the challenge it gave me but I wasn't one of the people who decided to farm it. It took me quite awhile to beat it too. I'd guess a few days worth of tries maybe? Possibly the same day I started trying it but if it was it had to be after hours of trying. In any case it took me awhile to get it.

Fell asleep early last night and as a result woke up quite early as well. So I logged in and figured I'd try to knock out the tower again this year for the Gloves while I also re-watched Agents of Shield. Did it fairly quickly this time. In under an hour. Seemed shorter. Still an awesome JP though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fell asleep early last night and as a result woke up quite early as well. So I logged in and figured I'd try to knock out the tower again this year for the Gloves while I also re-watched Agents of Shield. Did it fairly quickly this time. In under an hour. Seemed shorter. Still an awesome JP though.
From what I hear, muscle memory kicks in in a big way if you've beaten it before. This kinda makes sense because it's not actually that long, and timed so that it can't actually take that long. Plus I guess the interference from other player models is mitigated. Haven't yet retried it at all, but I'm pretty sure I consider Skipping Stones to ultimately be the tougher JP personally. For nothing else, because of all the ways in which you can be forced to go "zomg all the way back there."

edit: Skye remains very attractive.

From what I hear, muscle memory kicks in in a big way if you've beaten it before. This kinda makes sense because it's not actually that long, and timed so that it can't actually take that long. Plus I guess the interference from other player models is mitigated.

I suppose it is muscle memory. It felt a little awkward in a weird way. Almost like I went into auto pilot? I mean I still had missteps and occasionally chose the wrong path but I really didn't feel the pressure at all this time. I wonder if the character models really have a hand in that?

Haven't yet retried it at all, but I'm pretty sure I consider Skipping Stones to ultimately be the tougher JP personally. For nothing else, because of all the ways in which you can be forced to go "zomg all the way back there."

To do the intended way? Absolutely Skipping Stones is harder. But there's a part in the second section of stones that can pretty easily be cheesed.

edit: Skye remains very attractive.

#truthfact

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
To do the intended way? Absolutely Skipping Stones is harder. But there's a part in the second section of stones that can pretty easily be cheesed.
Yeah the second section I always managed to get through one way or another even if cheesy. There's one jump before the first "checkpoint" though that I just ALWAYS misjudge too, I think it's the angle of the rock or something. Then I get 'sploded off.

Retro

Is there any good introduction and/or convince me to buy GW2 videos lately?

a few people have been asking me if the game was worth buying, but most of the motivational GW2 videos are from beta or before. I want to find some video that highlights the game strengths as well as many the good updates.

Kos was saying the new Wooden Potatoes video does a nice job of looking at the game's Endgame a year later. I haven't seen it myself, will post when I do (starting it now, but I didn't want you to think you were being ignored).

Manifesto video still holds up very well, all of the bullet points are still true today, and the music is still hype-inducing.

Ashodin

Kos was saying the new Wooden Potatoes video does a nice job of looking at the game's Endgame a year later. I haven't seen it myself, will post when I do (starting it now, but I didn't want you to think you were being ignored).

Manifesto video still holds up very well, all of the bullet points are still true today, and the music is still hype-inducing.

It's pretty damn good, the endgame video. I watched it and I have to say that if you aren't satisfied WoodenPotatoes is right:

You are not this game's demographic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's pretty damn good, the endgame video. I watched it and I have to say that if you aren't satisfied WoodenPotatoes is right:

You are not this game's demographic.
I've always gotten the impression that he thought that but hadn't heard it articulated. I certainly won't disagree. I just talked to a couple people on the subreddit and made basically that point and they more or less realized it about themselves as well. Look forward to watching the vid.

Shiokazu

ALRIGHT, WHO WILL BE DOING THE METAS FOR THE NEXT LIVING STORY CONTENT?

I WANT THAT KRAIT SHARD. AND I WANT IT BADLY!

/sorrycaps.

Retro

ALRIGHT, WHO WILL BE DOING THE METAS FOR THE NEXT LIVING STORY CONTENT?

I WANT THAT KRAIT SHARD. AND I WANT IT BADLY!

/sorrycaps.

It's good to be excited about things.

I'm looking forward to the living story just taking another step forward. The two week updates are glorious, but the story just doesn't feel like it unfolds fast enough or leaves enough mystery to make me want to keep playing and looking for answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom