• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Drive

That's a lot of lurkers or people checking the game out.

*waves* Hi.

I bought the game this weekend when it went on sale on Amazon again based on what I've read around here on it. I'm loving it, just trying to get into the hang of things with it and figure out what I'm going to main (leaning Elementalist). Aside from my stints with WoW, I haven't had as much fun with an MMO as this one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*waves* Hi.

I bought the game this weekend when it went on sale on Amazon again based on what I've read around here on it. I'm loving it, just trying to get into the hang of things with it and figure out what I'm going to main (leaning Elementalist). Aside from my stints with WoW, I haven't had as much fun with an MMO as this one.
Do you wanna join the guiiiiiild?

Jira

In regards to the whole Wildstar thing, as Retro said it really doesn't have much hype. I frequent many forums and outside of dedicated ones really no one talks about it at all. There's more talk about FFXIV and ESO than Wildstar. Personally I think Wildstar is the damn game all of the people who jump from MMO to MMO are looking for but don't realize it. The entire game is built around hardcore raiding by a bunch of guys who made Vanilla WoW and left Blizzard. So really it's the damn game people bitch that they don't have yet don't even realize it's sitting right in front of their face. I think it has the chance to become the best raiding MMO around but Carbine is doing a shit job of promoting it.

Moondrop

Banned
All this pve talk with Moondrop's post sandwiched in...I don't have an answer though. I usually end up in stalemates against guardians (ie, neither dies until help arrives on one side or the other.) I dunno if it's a lack of boon strippng or what.

Don't sweat it; being crushed by PvE talk is a fact of life in GAFguild. :p Thanks for the help, but I can't strip boons with my warrior. I think perhaps I'm supposed to avoid the spirit weapons instead of try to destroy them.

From warrior perspective, traditional guardians are no problem. Show them that I have a better ranged weapon, force them to approach, then knock their teeth in.

Speaking of Necro's.. either something got tweaked in the last skill update...

Indeed, Necros are the new flavor of the month. Run away for now and wait for the nerf.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It would be tough to spec specifically to counter Spirit Weapons because they're not commonly used at all in my experience save for the shield. They don't have much HP, so if you encounter another guard using multiples, you might want to just try targeting the hammer first and focusing them down if you're in a team fight. The cooldowns are pretty oppressive if they die before the guardian can get the attacks off.

edit:
I think perhaps I'm supposed to avoid the spirit weapons instead of try to destroy them.
Yeah? Perhaps the case if he had the burning and damage spirit weapon traits going but not the ones that let them last longer... typically if I see more than one I'd imagine you do want to kill them, but like I said I'd start with the hammer... the knockdown is nasty, especially if he has the survive command trait.

Moondrop

Banned
Thanks Hawkian. It's definitely a niche build as of now. I tried killing them with my mace but they had surprisingly high HP/toughness. Next time I will back off and use my rifle to focus the hammer down.

He must've had at least the plus damage trait; I'm not that squishy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks Hawkian. It's definitely a niche build as of now. I tried killing them with my mace but they had surprisingly high HP/toughness. Next time I will back off and use my rifle to focus the hammer down.

He must've had at least the plus damage trait; I'm not that squishy.
Funny thing is I was about to say "I'm pretty sure plopping yourself in the middle of the three of them and using Hundred Blades is your answer" but I had this nagging feeling that you didn't use a GS and I was right. Definitely would not recommend getting into mace range against them though so that sounds like a plan.

Weird that you considered them tough with a Warrior's damage, though. Did they get an HP or armor buff in the june patch?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Surrrrreee why not - why else did I pick Stormbluff Isle? I'll whisper or in-game mail you later tonight.
You can just post your Account.#### or character name here, or into the shoutbox on www.gafguild.com or something if you don't want it listed here. I'm most likely not gonna get to play tonight... but tomorrow, I'm back baby!

Hm, kinda nifty-skeeto: Living Story summary page on the wiki. Not the most critical read at the moment, but it could become a very handy resource when the plot starts to get more complex and extensive.

Moondrop

Banned
but I had this nagging feeling that you didn't use a GS and I was right.

Mace/shield+rifle4life, yo.

Weird that you considered them tough with a Warrior's damage, though. Did they get an HP or armor buff in the june patch?

Maybe I misinterpreted and got CCed instead of landing all my hits. Their defense wasn't buffed in the June patch, but the bonus damage trait was raised to 50%.

Edit: I now see Spirit Weapons can receive buffs (i.e. protection), perhaps that was it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Daaang son, new Lupi world record well under 20 seconds.

Warriors and a Mesmer of course.... and an elementalist awwww yeah

edit: Switched to the mes perspective so you can see how silly feedback is during that fight

Katoki

Yeah, that fight's speed relies on the mesmer knowing when to use the feedback. Also that the rest of the group has to be able to perform because of the feedback projectile reflect count nerf or something along those lines.

Mace/shield+rifle4life, yo.

Maybe I misinterpreted and got CCed instead of landing all my hits. Their defense wasn't buffed in the June patch, but the bonus damage trait was raised to 50%.

Edit: I now see Spirit Weapons can receive buffs (i.e. protection), perhaps that was it.

I think your problem is that you play a female warrior...too squishy.

If Arken was in here he might be more help...I have not played a guardian and seeing as I always ask you for build help I don't think I can help you...maybe you should just give up and play an Engineer they take down anything pretty easily.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, that fight's speed relies on the mesmer knowing when to use the feedback. Also that the rest of the group has to be able to perform because of the feedback projectile reflect count nerf or something along those lines.
Yeah the feedback duration is flawless. I think they must have experimented a lot though because the Ele's might stacking seems to be responsible for shaving a few seconds off :D

Katoki

Maybe I'll try running staff/scepter+shield guardian in WvW tonight and see how that goes. I've been itching to use the zenith shield skin for a while now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Maybe I'll try running staff/scepter+shield guardian in WvW tonight and see how that goes. I've been itching to use the zenith shield skin for a while now.
Zenith shield is awesome. I had to have the rifle, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for at least one or two of the daggers on my thief, but I may get the shield for my third... meh I have no idea

Katoki

I'm definitely picking up the rifle but it's going to be in the next box since I don't have any characters that can immediately use it. So far I have the great sword, staff, shield, and mace (clearly for a future mace thief).

My criteria was mostly on how showy the skin was when you have it wielded since it expands. I also didn't care much for the sword and dagger this time.

In regards to the whole Wildstar thing, as Retro said it really doesn't have much hype. I frequent many forums and outside of dedicated ones really no one talks about it at all. There's more talk about FFXIV and ESO than Wildstar. Personally I think Wildstar is the damn game all of the people who jump from MMO to MMO are looking for but don't realize it. The entire game is built around hardcore raiding by a bunch of guys who made Vanilla WoW and left Blizzard. So really it's the damn game people bitch that they don't have yet don't even realize it's sitting right in front of their face. I think it has the chance to become the best raiding MMO around but Carbine is doing a shit job of promoting it.

This is what really put me off on it. I've been following the thread on Something Awful, and there were some very archaic gameplay designs Carbine is trying to bring back (for NOSTALGIA):
-mob tagging
-factions
-race/class restrictions (humans of course can be all classes)
-PvP stats/gear
-and of course the hardcore 20/40 man raids

Speaking of mob tagging, one of the devs posted this remark in that very thread (and everyone basically told him how wrong he was):
GW2 tried the "open tagging" model, and I feel like that actually discouraged grouping. People would fight next to each other, but not with each other. The only time I successfully grouped up with anyone was for dungeons (and let's not get into that aspect of the game). Tagging, when used well, can be a system to encourage grouping, not drive people away from cooperation, in my mind. WildStar also has "soft-tagging" on named mobs, so there won't be any bottlenecking when it comes to "Kill Chompy The Devourer"-type quests, solving one of the core issues of tagging systems.

In many ways Wildstar has surpassed Guild Wars 2, but the vanilla WoW mechanics basically drag it down. As for hype, it's still too early, but it will be very popular if they are not dumb enough to do a monthly subscription. It's just not for me.

One MMO I'm excitied for is The Division, but it's fucking Ubisoft so they'll somehow screw it up.

Sophia

I actually kinda want some degree of instanced raids back. But make them all flexible/scalable to party size. That's all I'd really want from a traditional MMO tho. The rest of that shit (PvP stats particularly) can go burn in hell for all I care. ><;

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is what really put me off on it. I've been following the thread on Something Awful, and there were some very archaic gameplay designs Carbine is trying to bring back (for NOSTALGIA):
-mob tagging
-factions
-PvP stats/gear
Man all of those are huge no-nos for me :( Though, for my part just that Wildstar employs the traditional trinity was enough to essentially dissuade me. I really love the aesthetic and the apparent humor though.
One MMO I'm excitied for is The Division, but it's fucking Ubisoft so they'll somehow screw it up.
Well fuck, I'm pumped as hell for The Division but I don't really think it belongs in this conversation :p

I will co-sign the call for super-difficult scaling instanced raids.

Lunar15

-mob tagging
-factions
-PvP stats/gear

Speaking of mob tagging, one of the devs posted this remark in that very thread (and everyone basically told him how wrong he was):

In many ways Wildstar has surpassed Guild Wars 2, but the vanilla WoW mechanics basically drag it down. As for hype, it's still too early, but it will be very popular if they are not dumb enough to do a monthly subscription. It's just not for me.

A little birdie told me Wildstar is a subscription model, or some form. It's definitely not F2P, and I don't think it's only B2P.

Jira

A little birdie told me Wildstar is a subscription model, or some form. It's definitely not F2P, and I don't think it's only B2P.

They've come out and said that it will be a hybrid of sorts...but how in the hell do you make a hybrid of P2P? I don't think it's possible. B2P hybrid also doesn't make sense so that leaves F2P with a hybrid of sub based membership bonuses kinda like how Rift does it or SWTOR.

Holy shit looked like a tornado wAs going to form outside my apt (30k out of toronto).

It just turned into crazy thunderstorm now it ended.

They've come out and said that it will be a hybrid of sorts...but how in the hell do you make a hybrid of P2P? I don't think it's possible. B2P hybrid also doesn't make sense so that leaves F2P with a hybrid of sub based membership bonuses kinda like how Rift does it or SWTOR.

They can launch as B2P with an optional Sub that gives extra shinies. TSW is like that if I'm not mistaken.

demented

God I hate this skill...

A necro timed this perfectly on me in sPvP once. It made me sad because I had like Burning, Weakness, Vulnerability and a few others all at once and just flat out died. :(

Ha, I love that skill. And "once" :D you're lucky because I do it to EVERY guardian I meet at height of their boons.
Got it in my build since the start and it's amazing, wait for guardian to pop up billion boons and with 1 small click he dies :D
Of course I fear him twice to make sure he doesn't heal up or something naughty like that ^^

I wish pvp was more varied and challenging, I enjoy it quite a bit when it's a good game and good teams, but that's rare, from my experience at least.

Moondrop

Banned
Ha, I love that skill. And "once" :D you're lucky because I do it to EVERY guardian I meet at height of their boons.

Oh wow, thanks. You made me realize necros are using my Runes of Lyssa against me.

Edit: huh, max of 5 boons converted. I wonder if the durations are equal to the original boon durations?

Sophia

I wish pvp was more varied and challenging, I enjoy it quite a bit when it's a good game and good teams, but that's rare, from my experience at least.

Structured PvP is really awesome and quite varied if you have a group and don't just jump into 8v8. 8v8 is just too much seeing as there are only eight professions.

-mob tagging
-factions
-PvP stats/gear

I'm actually very ok with most of these.

The race/ Class thing makes sense from a lore POV to me at least. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. All the big GW2 channels I watch on YouTube seem to be hyping this.

demented

Structured PvP is really awesome and quite varied if you have a group and don't just jump into 8v8. 8v8 is just too much seeing as there are only eight professions.

I just try to do quick 3 games for daily, don't know anyone doing tournament ones :\

Sophia

I just try to do quick 3 games for daily, don't know anyone doing tournament ones :\

Even when doing the Hot Join I filter for 5v5. Makes the games much more bearable.

Yeah do this. 8v8 in most modes is such a weird spot where you've got just enough people to overwhelm a player and the variety actually goes down. In contrast, 5v5 is just fantastic and it feels like all the maps were balanced for it. Which, with all the maps being three point domination, they probably were. :p

I'm almost always up for PvP matches when I'm online btw.

Levyne

Banned
I dunno. I don't really have a preference for 5 or 8 or anything. I usually also only do ~ 3 games for daily but sometimes I stick around if some bars are almost filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom