• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
A more long form answer. (PVE perspective)

Guards are always, always, always in high demand. A team with 2 guards will very often have an easier time than a team of any other composition with no guards. It is effectively the easy mode of the game. You will never be asked to switch from guard to another class unless you are trying to really really speed-run something.

Rangers are a weaker class, many find them boring and uninteresting with a lame mechanic. You will be asked to switch to another class if outside of gaf guild, and that's if you aren't just booted outright or your lfg requests aren't just ignored in the first place.

Elementalists are highly utilitarian classes, are sought after in WVW, are probably in the best place dungeon-wise than they have been in awhile (at least it seems so to me..). Though potentially highly fragile in the open world outside of a group (either party or wvw crowd).

Warriors are not complicated. They are highly damaging and primarily warrior parties are what is used to clear content quickly.

Obviously there are nuances beyond those quick blurbs.

kanamechan

Small question on the GAF guild:
-does it still take people?
-is it fine to be on a different server (tainted coast)?
-from the ranger comment, I take it that groups for dungeons are not always warrior*3/guard/mesmer? I mostly like my engineer (had some fun in my first fractals with it!), so... ^^
-how is the general language? I'm not asking for a chat friendly for six year olds, I'm just a bit uncomfortable with some gamer guy terms (namely the ones denigrating homosexuality) - does that happen a lot or more rarely?

Sophia

-from the ranger comment, I take it that groups for dungeons are not always warrior*3/guard/mesmer? I mostly like my engineer (had some fun in my first fractals with it!), so... ^^
-how is the general language? I'm not asking for a chat friendly for six year olds, I'm just a bit uncomfortable with some gamer guy terms (namely the ones denigrating homosexuality) - does that happen a lot or more rarely?

In the order you asked them

-Yes, put your account name in this thread and someone will grab you. Or whisper an officer in game.
-Yes I'm on Tarnished Coast myself
-A good Engineer is always valuable in a dungeon. They're a harder class to play, so you really stand out if you've got skills. Nobody really discriminates against professions really, except maybe having a Guardian for the Aegis the easily provide.
-GAFGuild largely follows the same language rules as you'd find on the forums here. So nobody will be using degenerating terms or anything like that. And if they do, you can always report them to an officer.

Katoki

Always

Guesting feature. You won't be joining us for WvW but if you don't go in there, no big deal.

We don't discriminate.

We warn for that. We try as much as possible to be LGBT friendly as much as possible, but it also helps to not bring it up either because most people don't care unless a big deal is made out of it.

Yes
Yes
GAF dungeon runs are made up of all engineers only (jk) any profession we do not discriminate
Language is respectful and we do not allow any type of homophobic or racist comments, we follow the same rules as NeoGAF.

Post your accountname.#### and a fine officer will add you.

Ps I love name Tainted Coast way better than Tarnished Coast.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Follow the GAF TOS and you're golden. It's not censored but we don't use slurs or tolerate being an asshat

Levyne

Banned
Fractal 40+ is annoying. Though it warms my heart when I convince them to have me along and get comments like "so nice having a good ranger with us"

One of my current projects is getting my guard up to 45 ar though just because it would be exceedingly nice to have

Retro

How is the general language? I'm not asking for a chat friendly for six year olds, I'm just a bit uncomfortable with some gamer guy terms (namely the ones denigrating homosexuality) - does that happen a lot or more rarely?

To add to what others have said; we're a GAFguild and that means the general tone of GAF carries over. Profanity is common, though nobody is excessive. Everybody is assumed to be an adult and able to discuss adult things (though I've never seen anything worse than innuendo).

That said, anything racist, sexist, homophobic or other wise hateful is dealt with as soon as we see it. We can't always be on all the time, so feel free to take a screenshot and PM it to one of the officers.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to warn somebody about their language, it's really not something we've had to worry about.

Thought I'd chime in since I'm the one who wrote the policy (though I purposely cribbed heavily from GAF's TOS).

I've really only run into class discrimination with cof speed runs.

Those are PUGs though, not GAF groups, right? I've seen a few people ask for specific builds, but I can only recall one time a GAFer was booted from a group for not being the 'right class' and we dealt with it pretty swiftly.

Gaf has taken me to CoF and I've done less than 10 dungeon runs in total.. so no I don't think any of our groups have discriminated against classes.

I can say the same about dungeons as others. I have limited knowledge on them, and I've never been passed over when someone is asking others to go to a dungeon. People may change their class before it starts, but I've never been asked to play as a different class, or excluded because I was the "wrong" class.

Complistic

Those are PUGs though, not GAF groups, right? I've seen a few people ask for specific builds, but I can only recall one time a GAFer was booted from a group for not being the 'right class' and we dealt with it pretty swiftly.

Yeah, they were pugs. The gaf groups i've been in/started have never cared if you've even ran the dungeon before.

hythloday

How does one pronounce hythloday?

Is it highth-low-day?

Dunno really, in my head I pronounce it with a soft i as in 'hith'.

I got it from a character in Thomas More's Utopia. Supposedly it comes from Greek for 'Dispenser of Nonsense.' When I was in college we read it in a history class and I thought it sounded cool.

Dunno really, in my head I pronounce it with a soft i as in 'hith'.

I got it from a character in Thomas More's Utopia. Supposedly it comes from Greek for 'Dispenser of Nonsense.' When I was in college we read it in a history class and I thought it sounded cool.

Isn't it Thomas Moore? He got beheaded in The Tudors TV show.

Hithliday sounds better than what I thought.

Retro

What's a DKP?

Back in the bad old days, loot was random, regardless of how many people work to get it. A raid boss that requires 40 people to down might drop only 2 or 3 weapons... total. The game itself usually just has "Need or Greed" rolls, where you hit a button and it randomly picks someone.. or everyone just typed /roll in chat or whatever... but there's always ninja looters, people who roll on everything ("That's a Hunter weapon" has it's origins there too), and some people just get really lucky despite not putting in the effort. If you spent weeks or even months, working night after night to complete something, you'd be pissed if some guy who showed up for the first time won some awesome loot, right?

Enter DKP: Dragon Kill Points. It was basically a standardized (and in some cases, automated) way of awarding points to people, who can then spend their DKP on loot rather than getting the luck of the draw... and yes, it was so pervasive that it merits a Wikipedia article.

She's referencing this video of a raid group's rage during a raid; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvIYRrgZ04
Edit: Um, just as a Warning... that video is Not Safe for Work...pretty loud, angry cursing...

... Fake Warcraft Dragons... srs biznis.

I've actually been okay with the amount of bloom/post-processing for this game...except for Maguuma areas. Caledon Forest just takes it to another level.

Without post-processing
6ncPnYp.jpg

With post-processing. This is probably going to hurt my eyes in the long run, lol.

Say hello to my little friend

Back in the bad old days, loot was random, regardless of how many people work to get it. A raid boss that requires 40 people to down might drop only 2 or 3 weapons... total. The game itself usually just has "Need or Greed" rolls, where you hit a button and it randomly picks someone.. or everyone just typed /roll in chat or whatever... but there's always ninja looters, people who roll on everything ("That's a Hunter weapon" has it's origins there too), and some people just get really lucky despite not putting in the effort. If you spent weeks or even months, working night after night to complete something, you'd be pissed if some guy who showed up for the first time won some awesome loot, right?

Enter DKP: Dragon Kill Points. It was basically a standardized (and in some cases, automated) way of awarding points to people, who can then spend their DKP on loot rather than getting the luck of the draw... and yes, it was so pervasive that it merits a Wikipedia article.

She's referencing this video of a raid group's rage during a raid; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvIYRrgZ04
Edit: Um, just as a Warning... that video is Not Safe for Work...pretty loud, angry cursing...

Enjoyed watching that vid again.. and it led me, of course, to the Duke Nukem soundboard video.. Good times.

Sophia

I should probably point out that DKP is far far older than World of Warcraft. It originated in Everquest back in 1999 by the guild Afterlife. At the time, there were only two of what were called "raid bosses" nowadays in the game. Name Lady Vox and Lord Nagafen, both of them dragons. It became popular in other MMORPGs as well, but it caught on particularly in World of Warcraft because it's own first raid boss as a dragon called Onyixa.

In regards to that video, I heard a lot of people left that guild after that incident. I saw some more info on the guild leader (including a picture) in the year that followed it, and apparently he was a real jerk when it came to raid leading. Actual raids World of Warcraft are nothing like that providing you have a good guild.

Retro

I should probably point out that DKP is far far older than World of Warcraft. It originated in Everquest back in 1999 by the guild Afterlife. At the time, there were only two of what were called "raid bosses" nowadays in the game. Name Lady Vox and Lord Nagafen, both of them dragons. It became popular in other MMORPGs as well, but it caught on particularly in World of Warcraft because it's own first raid boss as a dragon called Onyixa.

In regards to that video, I heard a lot of people left that guild after that incident. I saw some more info on the guild leader (including a picture) in the year that followed it, and apparently he was a real jerk when it came to raid leading. Actual raids World of Warcraft are nothing like that providing you have a good guild.

1. I know it predates WoW, but WoW has the examples most people are familiar with.
B. The video is funny as hell, it's not actually a representation of raiding as a whole.
4. I switched from numbers to letters just then, did you see it?
5. I also skipped 3.

Sophia

1. I know it predates WoW, but WoW has the examples most people are familiar with.
2. The video is funny as hell, it's not actually a representation of raiding as a whole.

I thought it was funny too until I actually read the story on that guild. It's actually kinda sad when I hear it now. ><;

kanamechan

Tons of answers, and it sounds good - thank you!
Sooo, where do I put in my application? :)

Hgh or condition immunity at 20%

I far prefer HGH because if you're this deep into alchemy, you will probably use 2+ potions anyway and thus not have too many issues with status effects. For fights that have them a lot (you will probably notice - haven't seen a fight in wvwvw that did) you can always swap the trait.

Retro

I'm not gonna link to it, and I would caution against responding to it since it's clearly trolling (he's trying too hard, it's a dead giveaway), but there's a post in an MMO thread on gaming side that's insanely hilarious. You'll know it when you see it.

Tons of answers, and it sounds good - thank you!
Sooo, where do I put in my application? :)

No application process. Just post your username.#### and we'll get you invited asap.

Jira

Lol applications. Such a ridiculous concept for gaming. People are taking Wildstar so seriously that they want applications to test raids in Beta...I wish I were joking.

Dunno how serious you are, but gold constantly inflates where ectos, ori, etc, have a chance of spiking in value. Though I've never been much of a hoarder in games like these. Burns a hole in my virtual pockets.

I'd say that by far the best "currency" to invest in long-term is simply gems. Gems are always valuable and scarce, and become more so as the game grows older; you just have to compare their price curve compared with most other "common" currencies like Ectos. Even with the cut from converting from/to them, long term, I think they're the best option. It's also great to be able to get stuff you want from the gem store right away, and let's face it, there's always something.

To add to what others have said; we're a GAFguild and that means the general tone of GAF carries over. Profanity is common, though nobody is excessive. Everybody is assumed to be an adult and able to discuss adult things (though I've never seen anything worse than innuendo).

That said, anything racist, sexist, homophobic or other wise hateful is dealt with as soon as we see it. We can't always be on all the time, so feel free to take a screenshot and PM it to one of the officers.

You know, now that you mention it, I think I've NEVER seen a single racist/homophobic/sexist/bigoted comment in guild chat. I'm so used to hold GAFGuild to the highest standard that it seemed natural (I can't even imagine any of the people I know in the guild making such a comment), but I guess compared to most game communities, that's pretty remarkable. GAFGuild is just the best thing ever. :)

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to warn somebody about their language, it's really not something we've had to worry about.

Thought I'd chime in since I'm the one who wrote the policy (though I purposely cribbed heavily from GAF's TOS).

I didn't even know we had a policy about that. I should give it a read as I'm somewhat foul mouther myself at times. :D

Wow, that was a thing in a GAFGuild group? In GW2 of all games? o_O

and apparently he was a real jerk when it came to raid leading.

Well, the video itself leaves little doubt about it. :D
(it's also more hilarious because of the fact it follows some of the then-current myths and preconceptions about Onyxia).

I thought it was funny too until I actually read the story on that guild. It's actually kinda sad when I hear it now. ><;

I'm tempted to dig out that story now...

It's Zefiris.8297 :)

Welcome! :) If you have any doubts at all about the game, feel fre to ask me if I'm online.

Lol applications. Such a ridiculous concept for gaming. People are taking Wildstar so seriously that they want applications to test raids in Beta...I wish I were joking.

We technically have an application process; it's called "being a GAFer or having one vouch for you", and in reality is probably more severe than most application processes for other guilds :D. But that's OK, it gives us a sense of community and, like GAF accounts themselves, makes us appreciate membership that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom