• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

If we're lucky then the direction of Edge of the Mists means that the WvW maps will get some major redesigns down the road. We might even get three different borderland maps!

The problem I see with this is that unless the maps are identical, one side can claim the other has an unfair advantage.

Edge of the Mists looks great. Love the varied levels(height), perilous paths, and drastically different environments. Should be really fun, especially if matches only last hours as opposed to a week. Fast and furious matches that require quick strategic decisions on the fly rather than the WvW politics and ppt focus.

Jira

Edge of the Mists looks great. Love the varied levels(height), perilous paths, and drastically different environments. Should be really fun, especially if matches only last hours as opposed to a week. Fast and furious matches that require quick strategic decisions on the fly rather than the WvW politics and ppt focus.

Yep, much more spontaneous. Can't wait to test it.

Mxrz

My thread regarding female armors on the official forum was apparently nuked four days ago, and I have this lovely PM in my inbox talking about 'sexist, misogynistic language having no place on the forum. What the fuck.

The few days I followed the thread there was nothing of the sort from anyone, and if people started posting it at the end--why the hell would you nuke the entire thread and then send me such an assholish PM?

leng jai

My thread regarding female armors on the official forum was apparently nuked four days ago, and I have this lovely PM in my inbox talking about 'sexist, misogynistic language having no place on the forum. What the fuck.

The few days I followed the thread there was nothing of the sort from anyone, and if people started posting it at the end--why the hell would you nuke the entire thread and then send me such an assholish PM?

Why would you even bother with the official forums for this game? Both the users and mods are a joke.

Mxrz

Why would you even bother with the official forums for this game? Both the users and mods are a joke.

Developers had the chance to read it. I was mostly happy with that. But I did plan to reference it for something else, and the consescending-as-fuck PM royally ticked me off, even if it is a canned response.

And yeah, the hell with that place.

Hyunashi

So too is reddit for that matter. While the forums are an overflow of anger, hate and trolling. Reddit is filled with people that will eat up whatever ANET tell them and can never really see ANET doing anything wrong. The point is that all communities will automatically think they are the more mature one.

Anyways enjoying my break from this game in anticipation of next gen, but hopefully they follow wow and announce a expansion, even if its for the latter part of next year. The big question is how this game is going to hold when the big MMOs come out next year.

Jira

So too is reddit for that matter. While the forums are an overflow of anger, hate and trolling. Reddit is filled with people that will eat up whatever ANET tell them and can never really see ANET doing anything wrong. The point is that all communities will automatically think they are the more mature one.

Anyways enjoying my break from this game in anticipation of next gen, but hopefully they follow wow and announce a expansion, even if its for the latter part of next year. The big question is how this game is going to hold when the big MMOs come out next year.

ESO is already dead in the water and Wildstar is built specifically for the hardcore poopsockers. EQN will be out in Q4 2014 at the absolute earliest so I don't even count that for next year at this point. Not to mention the that 2 of the 3 have subscriptions which is an instant red flag these days. ESO is going to launch with both a sub and a store since they know they'll be dropping the sub within the year but they have to grab some revenue somehow. At least Wildstar has a system that allows you to pay through playing, but if it's anything like EVE, you won't be able to pay for the sub unless you play every day. GW2 won't have any issues.

Proven

I had to bail because of a number of random lag spikes. I feel like I got infected by someone I fought against in hotjoins beforehand.

The problem I see with this is that unless the maps are identical, one side can claim the other has an unfair advantage.

Do it on purpose and give Red team an advantage. I can live with that.

Good fun in WvW tonight Hawkian, Kos and Retro. It was fun doing those ogre wars, then we all got in BP BL together, good times. I'm probably not going to play as much as I used to, but nonetheless, thanks for making we feel welcome.

The only one I'm anticipating is EQN because it will be sexy if it pulls off what it claims it will do. It looks like a GW2 successor. Though I got burned by Planetside 2, so my hype is tapered at the moment.

Retro

What time are guild missions tonight? I haven't had the chance to play with you guys in a bit and I don't want to miss it.

Pretty sure we're sticking with 9pm, despite the time change. If that changes, I'll make sure to let everyone know, but for now, 9pm eastern / 6pm pacific.

Iresecia

Neo Member
This may be a long shot but is anyone willing to help me run Arah P4? Never run it before and it's literally the last thing I need for dungeon master. But it's a pain to find a party for.

docbon

The edge of the mists is just so gosh darn pretty. I hope the improved artwork carries over into the regular maps. I felt those were dull since the beginning since they didn't take advantage of the artistic freedom that the mists gives you.

edit: Mesmers are going to be hated here. There's so many places where you can pull people off the edge for an insta-kill.

Lunar15

Edge of the Mists looks great, but I'm still stumped as to why it exists. It's an overflow for WvW, but honestly it looks better than WvW in some ways. It just seems like a lot of time and effort to go towards something that is kind of meaningless.

Edge of the Mists looks great, but I'm still stumped as to why it exists. It's an overflow for WvW, but honestly it looks better than WvW in some ways. It just seems like a lot of time and effort to go towards something that is kind of meaningless.

It serves as an overflow but also a less hardcore server v. server battleground. For the players that don't want to be involved in the drama that WvW thrives around.

Retro

....because it's fun?

The best way for them to generate profits is to keep players playing long enough to get invested and spend some cash on the gem store. Whereas most MMOs would institute a gear grind and give you tons of tiny progression steps, ArenaNet seems opposed to that approach outside of achievements. That just leaves the traditional way of getting players to stick around; make a shitload of really fun stuff. And it looks like their goal is to add a big, crazy map with tons of cool stuff to do.

I mean, I guess the given reason it exists is that it's a place where you can gain WXP while you're queued to get into WvW, providing some of that big, open world PvP you want without having to wait, but there's gotta be more to it than just serving as an elaborate waiting room. It's possible this will also be used as a WvW tutorial, letting players get a feel for things like capturing positions and gaining supply without the intimidation factor of the "real thing."

It's almost like they're targeting the people who want PVP, but not sPVP or WvW. Edge of the Mists looks like it could sort of hit all the same notes as World of Warcraft's Battlegrounds, specifically Alterac Valley before they fucked it up and turned it into a race. Something they've shown they're very good at doing is creating platforms on which they can build more content, so EotM might target another clump of players who have very specific wants and needs.

Jira and I were also discussing how it might also serve as a test bed for future WvW improvements. For example, they can drop something new into EotM and see how players use and abuse it for a while without the WvWers losing their shit over a new feature ruining their matchups. For example, in the livestream they had you building bridges and generators and stuff; maybe they're trying that stuff out in EotM before they roll it out in WvW. Imagine building walls to create choke points in WvW or bridges to take a position from an unexpected angle.

I remember hearing about a "Level 0" tutorial thing for GW2 a while ago. Anyone know what's up with that?

Also, will this new WvW map have a "Rank 1" tutorial for newbies?

Lunar15

What I mean is that most of what Anet has talked about is avoiding dividing their players up too much. However, now we have a brand new mode that takes away from both PvE and WvW.

It factors into one of the larger problems of GW2 as a whole, which is schizophrenic design. The individual parts of the game are good, but the parts don't blend all that well. It also makes you wonder whether they should have put those resources into strengthening WvW or PvE, rather than making something that is neither.

I remember hearing about a "Level 0" tutorial thing for GW2 a while ago. Anyone know what's up with that?

I heard from a bird that ANET is working really hard to get game ready for China launch and they want to make sure that the game teaches people how to play because the NA launch did not teach people very well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
An PvP battleground map is sorely needed though. It's the closest thing to an open-world PvP we'll ever get.

Eh isn't that essentially what Structured pvp is with say 10 people. Sure there's no extra faction but that rarely occurs in pvp battlegrounds.

rather isn't actual gvg or heroes ascent type game type what we need. A game type with a much more consolidised team death match type approach, something which doesn't reward escaping from to the degree structured pvp does.

Retro

There was an interview a while back where they've mentioned they want to have better tutorials in the game before the Chinese release. We haven't heard anything about that in a while though.

As for a WvW tutorial, the EotM map seems like the best place for it without creating a separate play space. I mean, there already is a PVP tutorial, but most people blow through it / skip it to get to the good stuff.

What I mean is that most of what Anet has talked about is avoiding dividing their players up too much. However, now we have a brand new mode that takes away from both PvE and WvW.

I don't really see it as dividing their players up, as this still falls distinctly into the "WvW" category. I assume that the people who jump into the EotM are either queued for WvW already or are "WvW curious" and trying out the less intense version. If it draws away some of the people who are only mildly into WvW, that will lessen the queue situation there as well.

It factors into one of the larger problems of GW2 as a whole, which is schizophrenic design. The individual parts of the game are good, but the parts don't blend all that well. It also makes you wonder whether they should have put those resources into strengthening WvW or PvE, rather than making something that is neither.

See, that's one of the things I like most about Guild Wars 2, that at any time there's a bunch of different things I can do without jumping through too many hoops. I like that if I'm in the mood for a dungeon, I have a variety of them in story mode, explorable and Fractals. If I want some PvP, I have sPVP, WvW and EotM eventually. If I want to just goof off, there's still activities and holiday events.

I can definitely see it as schizophrenic, but when your audience has so many different tastes, you need to juggle a half dozen personalities to entertain them.

Eh isn't that essentially what Structured pvp is with say 10 people. Sure there's no extra faction but that rarely occurs in pvp battlegrounds.

Kind of, but not really. It looks like there's more emphasis on PvE-type fights in EotM, whereas sPVP occasionally has a PvE-like secondary objective (Svanir/Chieftain, Sharks, etc.). From the way they were describing it during the livestream, it sounds like you'll be running around EotM and there will be people super-jumping, calling in air strikes and all sorts of crazy shit tied to PvE style encounters. It also retains the nice three-way fights from WvW which should help keep things from being one-sided.

rather isn't actual gvg or heroes ascent type game type what we need. A game type with a much more consolidised team death match type approach, something which doesn't reward escaping from to the degree structured pvp does.

If you believe the leaked Alpha notes we saw a few months back from PAX, they're working on stuff like team deathmatch and King of the Hill for sPVP. And apart from the GvG area being added to the Obsidian Sanctum, I think they've said that they want to make a proper GvG mode.

All I can say is, it's been a year and three months, and in that time we've gotten a ton of stuff. When you look at MMOs, it usually takes a solid year to get themselves sorted out and just get everything that was supposed to be in at launch ready (for example, it was more than half a year before WoW had Battlegrounds, despite being mentioned in the manual. Before that, PvP was confined to ganking around Southshore). I feel like they're just getting started.

markot

Banned

Its for the Chinese launch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Iresecia said:
This may be a long shot but is anyone willing to help me run Arah P4? Never run it before and it's literally the last thing I need for dungeon master. But it's a pain to find a party for.
I had people help me with it from here so it's only right to try to help others. Are you in the guild? You should let us know what time and day you're looking for a run.
Pretty sure we're sticking with 9pm, despite the time change. If that changes, I'll make sure to let everyone know, but for now, 9pm eastern / 6pm pacific.
Yes, no change in Mission times for our weekly schedule.

I've actually got quite a few problems with this perspective. First of all, when I think of unpleasantly dividing the playerbase, I'm thinking of... for example, everybody who owns an expansion confining themselves to four new maps that the rest of the people playing cannot access. Thus creating groups of gamers that literally cannot interact with each other based on a "haves vs. have nots" scenario. But everyone can access the edge of the mists at any time, even at level 1 if you want to. And second, I can't imagine any significant fragmenting of the playerbase will take place with this map addition at all, because of the nature of the mechanical issue it will be alleviating. Put another way, how could adding this map divide players in a notable way when not everyone who wants to get into regular WvW can even do so right now? Seems to me it will more likely enable people to have a better chance of doing what they want when they want. Third, it's way too generous to call this a brand new mode. It's a new map in WvW. Inside you are allied with your server and fight players from two other servers. You cannot fight players other than those you are matched against in that week's WvW rankings. Players who are waiting to get into a main map can get some WXP while doing so, and players who are intimidated by the serious business of WvW can get their feet wet without being yelled at or worry they are screwing things up. I don't get where the idea came from that "these four maps, PPT victories, 1 week matches" is what WvW was supposed to be only and always. Fourth, I absolutely want them to add actual new full modes of gameplay to the game and I really don't think "taking away from PvE and WvW [or PvP]" should be a concern in developing them. That seems really creatively limiting to me. Reading this it strikes me that when they add actual GvG to the game, which definitely will be "neither PvE nor WvW," you'll see it as a negative?
I think I disagree on both counts, I mean.... sPvP fights have very little in common with WvW fights to me... and 3-way fights in the mists have been some of my most memorable and fun experiences.

Remember that the Obsidian Sanctum arena, completely separate from the Edge of the Mists, is also coming for people who want to set up the more unconstrained "open-world-ish" deathmatch fights without the objectives of actual PvP. People are asking for a lot of different things here and slowly the game is accomodating, but there are a lot of moving parts.
Thing is, based on GW1 at the last, "actual GvG" is very likely not going to be a "team deathmatch" gametype by any stretch.

Is edge of mists the GvG thing? I'm out of the loop on what's happening in GW2. Kind of busy with family stuff which is also hindering my NaNoWriMo. Honestly probably won't touch this game till either mid-december or next year.

Retro

Is edge of mists the GvG thing? I'm out of the loop on what's happening in GW2. Kind of busy with family stuff which is also hindering my NaNoWriMo. Honestly probably won't touch this game till either mid-december or next year.

No, Edge of the Mists is basically a new map that seems to be a sort of PvE-themed WvW-based waiting room where people waiting for the WvW queues get to kind of play a variation on WvW. Since it creates an overflow whenever it fills, there will never be a queue for it.

The GvG thing is supposedly just a big room in the Obsidian Sanctum, unless that's changed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The GvG thing is supposedly just a big room in the Obsidian Sanctum, unless that's changed.
Nope that's all. Theoretically unless things have changed you should be able to queue right into the Obsidian Sanctum (or obvioulsy the Edge of the Mists) from the menu.

Weekly mission blitz in about an hour!

Retro

Awesome missions tonight, sorry for the slight delay in getting started and the usual heaping teaspoon of shitty luck in drawing the Karka Rush.

th3dude

I've been running a great sword and longbow on my 80 warrior but I'm getting bored with it. I need some goals with him. Any suggestions on fun builds? I feel like a fun build would motivate me to properly gear him. Currently wearing yellows so he kinda sucks.

Complistic

I've been running a great sword and longbow on my 80 warrior but I'm getting bored with it. I need some goals with him. Any suggestions on fun builds? I feel like a fun build would motivate me to properly gear him. Currently wearing yellows so he kinda sucks.

Switch to axe/mace and greatsword for more fun.

Axe/Mace or Axe/Axe are fun DPS builds. I personally roll a x/Warhorn build as a base and then adjust my weapons and skills as the situation warrants (for both WvW and PvE). Having perma swiftness is very nice.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I had people help me with it from here so it's only right to try to help others. Are you in the guild? You should let us know what time and day you're looking for a run.

Yes, no change in Mission times for our weekly schedule.

I've actually got quite a few problems with this perspective. First of all, when I think of unpleasantly dividing the playerbase, I'm thinking of... for example, everybody who owns an expansion confining themselves to four new maps that the rest of the people playing cannot access. Thus creating groups of gamers that literally cannot interact with each other based on a "haves vs. have nots" scenario. But everyone can access the edge of the mists at any time, even at level 1 if you want to. And second, I can't imagine any significant fragmenting of the playerbase will take place with this map addition at all, because of the nature of the mechanical issue it will be alleviating. Put another way, how could adding this map divide players in a notable way when not everyone who wants to get into regular WvW can even do so right now? Seems to me it will more likely enable people to have a better chance of doing what they want when they want. Third, it's way too generous to call this a brand new mode. It's a new map in WvW. Inside you are allied with your server and fight players from two other servers. You cannot fight players other than those you are matched against in that week's WvW rankings. Players who are waiting to get into a main map can get some WXP while doing so, and players who are intimidated by the serious business of WvW can get their feet wet without being yelled at or worry they are screwing things up. I don't get where the idea came from that "these four maps, PPT victories, 1 week matches" is what WvW was supposed to be only and always. Fourth, I absolutely want them to add actual new full modes of gameplay to the game and I really don't think "taking away from PvE and WvW [or PvP]" should be a concern in developing them. That seems really creatively limiting to me. Reading this it strikes me that when they add actual GvG to the game, which definitely will be "neither PvE nor WvW," you'll see it as a negative?

I think I disagree on both counts, I mean.... sPvP fights have very little in common with WvW fights to me... and 3-way fights in the mists have been some of my most memorable and fun experiences.

Remember that the Obsidian Sanctum arena, completely separate from the Edge of the Mists, is also coming for people who want to set up the more unconstrained "open-world-ish" deathmatch fights without the objectives of actual PvP. People are asking for a lot of different things here and slowly the game is accomodating, but there are a lot of moving parts.

Thing is, based on GW1 at the last, "actual GvG" is very likely not going to be a "team deathmatch" gametype by any stretch.

I think people are misinterpreting what I'm saying, I compared Spvp to battle grounds, alliance battles (AB) in gw1 were battle grounds. Structured pvp is essentially a slightly smaller AB with a secondary objective mixed in. It pretty much is a battle ground. Of course battleground in this context is a very vague term I know nothing really about Edge of the mists but it could have very different objectives in gameplay style of gameplay and overall theme and still be a battle.

My point is that I personally don't really feel the game needs more of those style of games in comparison to focusing on and adding as quickly as possible a more standard type of team death match e.g gvg (Which was the original and main selling point of the first game for gods sake).

Complistic

So a couple official forum posts for my sylvari friends.

You may have noticed your eyes are a different color or they're almost completely black. This is a bug from the latest update. Kristen (who's responsible for all things sylvari really) is on the case.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/bugs/My-eyes-are-now-solid-black-after-patch/3123442

And also the updated cultural armors that glow now, you may have noticed the tweaked dye patterns made them lose a lot of detail, well she's fixing that as well
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/My-dyes-have-changed/3114271

Basically the textures going to return more to where they were before, with some tweaks that she needs to do to allow for the customizable glow color. I love the glow, but the new texture was pretty washed out compared to where it used to be.

Lastly she said the fixes for this stuff won't make it into the update on tuesday but there's a good chance it'll be in the update after that. Looks like all the whining on the official forums pays off occasionally.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
a more standard type of team death match e.g gvg (Which was the original and main selling point of the first game for gods sake).
But GvG in GW1 was not a team deathmatch :/ Winning via Death Penalty enforcement was like unheard of when I was playing at least. I don't think I was in a single match where that happened. I definitely misinterpreted what you meant by battleground though, so I'm sorry about that. I don't think I actually know what it means.

Heads up again, 7pm EST we are gonna hit up Malchor's Leap for some map completion antics!

Arkanius

But GvG in GW1 was not a team deathmatch :/ Winning via Death Penalty enforcement was like unheard of when I was playing at least. I don't think I was in a single match where that happened. I definitely misinterpreted what you meant by battleground though, so I'm sorry about that. I don't think I actually know what it means.

Heads up again, 7pm EST we are gonna hit up Malchor's Leap for some map completion antics!

Guild vs Guild was glorious in Guild Wars 1.
The main objective was to kill the Guild Lord on the opposing base. It felt more like a MOBA sometimes depending in the Guild Halls you were fighting on

Principate

Saint Titanfall

You generally won by wiping there team and then taking out their base. It was like an RTS, also like an RTS you were given the option of base race, decoys and split push. But my point is you were rarely encouraged to avoid the enemy completely outside of a pretty consensual base race. It was why the moral system and constant capping existed. If you didn't bother with it but your enemy did you were then at an disadvantage.

Compare with say Spvp, escape and mobility are very important. As long as you do not die are fast and elusive enough you can still win matches through that. Team coordination while still important isn't as important in an offensive point of view. Your not speccing your build in to out dps interrupt and generally efficiently defeat your enemy or lord. in GvG You spec into health to prevent them from spiking you not for you to survive long enough that a 1vs1 turns into a 2 vs 1 or to allow you to escape.

GvG is ultimately an offensive form of pvp Heroes Ascent even more so (you can't even fight another team in HA without a certain level of dps).

SPvP and battlegrounds in general tend to be uility based (you have an objective that doesn't really require you to counter the other in a straight fight). To bring a wvw comparison you can counter a team a good open ware zerg with better artillery placement scouting and resource management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom