• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, it was amazing. The maps were so inspired.
You generally won by wiping there team and then taking out their base.
Right, primary victory condition was killing the guild lord. Team Deathmatch compares kills to determine a winner (either first team to reach a kill threshold or higher kill score after a timer countdown)

Mxrz

I'm torn, gaf.

Ascended greatsword is so ugly. Tempted to Bat-sword it up for 70g. But then I'm disliking Greatsword (guardian) less and less lately in both wvw & pve. Angst!

* Bat sword it is. Legendary great swords are too common and look bleh to me. So bats, bats everywhere.

leng jai

I'm torn, gaf.

Ascended greatsword is so ugly. Tempted to Bat-sword it up for 70g. But then I'm disliking Greatsword (guardian) less and less lately in both wvw & pve. Angst!

* Bat sword it is. Legendary great swords are too common and look bleh to me. So bats, bats everywhere.

Bat sword is ugly. The Ascended Greatsword only looks decent in white. The berserker version looks terrible.

Mxrz

All great swords are ugly for the most part. But now my Charr has bats flying out of its butt. Gotta spend virtual gold on something, and its not like I ever have to worry about armor skins or a legendary.

leng jai

All great swords are ugly for the most part. But now my Charr has bats flying out of its butt. Gotta spend virtual gold on something, and its not like I ever have to worry about armor skins or a legendary.

I like the Dreamthistle GS...besides the fact it has a branch as a handle.

Retro

Was at Best Buy today doing some Christmas shopping and picked up a Gem card. Both the cashier and the security guy at the exit commented on the game. The cashier has an Asura Elementalist (after trying an engineer, which he didn't care for) and flat out loves the game. The guy at the exit said he's "heard good things about it."

Too bad the game is wildly unpopular and nobody plays it.

All great swords are ugly for the most part.

I don't use it too often, but I love the look of my Ebon Vanguard Greatsword:
ebon_vanguard_greatswq6d7l.jpg

I actually dyed my armor to match that weapon set, since I use the sword/axe and longbow.

I really dig the look of the ruins added to the borderlands, and they gave me something to do last night while waiting two hours for the EB queue to pop.

Random Caledon shot I discovered I took and totally forgot about

I'm really glad they did the WvW seasons thing - it gives me a reason to actually go into WvW and it's been a blast, especially since FA is kicking all sorts of butt. I'm continually impressed at how they managed to have giant groups of people all running together in realtime, with almost no issue (aside from when two 80+ zergs clash, then it's like bullet-time).

Big thanks to the for gaffers that helped me get Orr done on Saturday. It took one day to get 100% map completion for those areas. Huge Thanks to Roxie for being drug along through most of Malchor's Leap with me. It was fun.

Retro

Random Caledon shot I discovered I took and totally forgot about

I've completed Caledon on at least half a dozen characters now, and I still couldn't tell you where exactly that screenshot was taken. Remind me again what program you're using, DarkD3, right? Maybe it's time I got onboard, that's wallpaper-quality stuff right there.

I've completed Caledon on at least half a dozen characters now, and I still couldn't tell you where exactly that screenshot was taken. Remind me again what program you're using, DarkD3, right? Maybe it's time I got onboard, that's wallpaper-quality stuff right there.

The shot is taken near the Mysterious Chest that starts the event that spawns the Krait Witch in that area. I still use DarkD3 (Hardcore Preset), and really could not play GW2 without it. Every now and then I toggle it off using the Pause key, and can't understand why ArenaNet is ruining their incredible art with oversaturation and blurryness. Then again, I say the same about Diablo III, which is what DarkD3 aims to fix. I couldn't play DIII without DarkD3 either.

If a videocard manufacturer one day built this kind of thing into their drivers native, I'd love them long time.

Bonus fun:

Retro

So there's this; http://barefootmatthew.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-by-numbers.html?spref=tw

Basically the Nightmare Tower we're getting tomorrow is being done by the same team that did the Bazaar of the Four Winds and Molten Facility, which were easily my favorite updates this year.

Tomorrow!

The shot is taken near the Mysterious Chest that starts the event that spawns the Krait Witch in that area. I still use DarkD3 (Hardcore Preset), and really could not play GW2 without it.

Yeah, I think I'm going to get that set up here and see how much it impacts my performance. My PC is about a year old but I can run everything at max except shadows.

I like my games to have color too much to use that.

It looks like it's bumping the contrast up so shadows stand out more. It desaturates the colors a bit, but I'm sure the settings can be tweaked to help with that.

Ceres

Banned
I use DarkD3 on a 2500k (overclocked to 4.3 right now) and 550ti. I can't say I notice any particular slow downs due to it that aren't impacted by the game capabilities itself. Running around is fine but LA and WvW are slowed down. And those places are fixed by changing to Best Performance.

Edit: And yes, there's various versions of it already that you can change further yourself to change the amount of sharpness or contrast.

Mxrz

People get so mad when you sit on their corpse in WvW. After seeing the rage, I feel like I have to do it now. Like I'm helping the world work out its anger issues one charr-bag at a time. * To be fair, I used to get angry about it too. But now it just feels funny all around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Big thanks to the for gaffers that helped me get Orr done on Saturday. It took one day to get 100% map completion for those areas. Huge Thanks to Roxie for being drug along through most of Malchor's Leap with me. It was fun.
Pity you didn't wait til the next night! But thanks to those who helped me get mine yesterday including Roxie who apparently sat through all that stuff twice!

I have my thief parked in Scavenger's Chasm to finish off. It's pretty damn big, I was shocked. Thanks to Taffer for the help there too :)
So there's this; http://barefootmatthew.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-by-numbers.html?spref=tw

Basically the Nightmare Tower we're getting tomorrow is being done by the same team that did the Bazaar of the Four Winds and Molten Facility, which were easily my favorite updates this year.
Hmmm. Wonder if there's any chance of what I said. Probably not though :p

I got tomorrow off again. Not expecting a huge release by any stretch but it'll be nice to go through it at a slow pace.
I like the gritty style of DarkD3 as well, but I couldn't be without my hyper-vibrancy for GW2. I know a lot of people think it's too much or tacky to push the saturation like this (and I definitely agree that it looks horrible for some games) but I like my Tyria to be full of color

Pity you didn't wait til the next night! But thanks to those who helped me get mine yesterday including Roxie who apparently sat through all that stuff twice!

I have my thief parked in Scavenger's Chasm to finish off. It's pretty damn big, I was shocked. Thanks to Taffer for the help there too :)

Well funny thing about that was I thought it was happening Saturday night and I missed it so I decided to do it solo. It was only when Roxie told me it was Sunday, half-way through Malchor's, that I realized my folly.

As for Sunday I wasn't able to get online until much later then when everyone was going through it, so it was fortuitous that I did it the day before.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well funny thing about that was I thought it was happening Saturday night and I missed it so I decided to do it solo. It was only when Roxie told me it was Sunday, half-way through Malchor's, that I realized my folly.

As for Sunday I wasn't able to get online until much later then when everyone was going through it, so it was fortuitous that I did it the day before.
Ah well, all's well. Dunno if you meant that you completed all of Orr but next Sunday we are gonna hit up Cursed Shore.

edit:

So, at 9:00PM tonight looks liek Courin is leading a zerg in the Labyrinth on SBI http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1qepte/stormbluff_isle_zerg_in_mad_kings_maze_today_at/

Consider it if you need the achievements or what have ya

Ah well, all's well. Dunno if you meant that you completed all of Orr but next Sunday we are gonna hit up Cursed Shore.

Yeah all of Orr is done for Jess, but if I am able to be online this Sunday when GAF goes to the Cursed Shore I will come along. I might even bring a different character to it.

Retro

Yeah all of Orr is done for Jess, but if I am able to be online this Sunday when GAF goes to the Cursed Shore I will come along. I might even bring a different character to it.

I already have completion on my Warrior, but I've been doing these on my Engineer just because I love setting the world ablaze and laughing manically while everything burns around me.... I mean, because they're fun.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

You take that back, my Volcanus is awesome,
ITZUqYP.jpg

mingus

i'm quite partial to the buster sword and foefire's

b7EdhxL.jpg

Sorry I should have said something sooner. I got help in those zones so understand wanting help.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i'm quite partial to the buster sword and foefire's

dat rainbow armor

edit: Got some people in here trying the Bitterly Unfair Scavenger's Chasm JP in Malchor's Leap. After that I'll probably be drunk dungeoning a while if anyone is interested. Drunkgeoning

Oh, I love my colourful games too, but GW2's blurryness and oversaturation does take it a bit beyond what I think the art supports. I turn post-processing off in-game specifically because I feel it muddies up the art a lot, and DarkD3 doesn't adjust the colours that much, it just tints everything down a bit towards a dark green/blue - you can turn the tinting off, actually.

But the unsharp the game has on its framebuffer, that's just heinous. So much of the incredible detail in the textures gets lost due to it. For example:

iQqI2uNOG4Z6H.jpg
iCEvD2lYGRK5X.jpg

Yeah that doesn't look like texture to me. It looks like over-sharpening like the first Skyrim "HD Texture" mods had. And actually a lot like the over-sharpening that was in the Xbone version of BF4.

Sorry I should have said something sooner. I got help in those zones so understand wanting help.

Oh not a problem at all, I am glad I got the help since I wasn't able to go yesterday.

On a side note I think I am going to start saving up for the Bifrost, although I don't think I really know what I am doing to myself by doing that.

dat rainbow armor

edit: Got some people in here trying the Bitterly Unfair Scavenger's Chasm JP in Malchor's Leap. After that I'll probably be drunk dungeoning a while if anyone is interested. Drunkgeoning
Very possible that I'll join you when I get online for some COF if you haven't done that by then or passed out from drunkeness. I wonder how much beer I have in the fridge...

Yeah that doesn't look like texture to me. It looks like over-sharpening like the first Skyrim "HD Texture" mods had. And actually a lot like the over-sharpening that was in the Xbone version of BF4.

Well, it is a post-processing effect trying to fix somethnig - obviously it'd look much better if it was a natural part of the engine, or if whatever causes GW2 to look so blurry was turned off.

Well, it is a post-processing effect trying to fix somethnig - obviously it'd look much better if it was a natural part of the engine, or if whatever causes GW2 to look so blurry was turned off.

It seems like a a combo of the AA and maybe bloom? In either case, Dark3D looks good in some areas and not so great in others. It really shines most in screenshots.

It seems like a a combo of the AA and maybe bloom? In either case, Dark3D looks good in some areas and not so great in others. It really shines most in screenshots.

No idea, actually. I have bloom off, though I do keep FXAA on. I hope they add a better AA system later though - some dataminers have found new graphic settings strings, let's hope those pan out. I'd just like more options, personally. Like, why character outlines is a part of post-processing, I'll never understand. I'd like to have that on, since it helps with reading the tells of a boss during a large fight, but I can't play with bloom on - all the spell effects just make the screen a giant exploding mess of white.

I hope they add a better AA system later though - some dataminers have found new graphic settings strings, let's hope those pan out.
Wishful thinking on my part, but I hope Anet will have better graphic options in the future. Potentially looking at the same dated textures/effects 5 years later when newer games just blow them out is a major weakness in MMOs, in my opinion.

Or at the very least, bring up some of the textures to 2012 standards. This screenshot of one of the major walkways in the game is just embarrassing. I vastly prefer the AA options offered in RadeonPro, so I do not use the game engine's FXAA:
mqwShH7.jpg

This screenshot of one of the major walkways in the game is just embarrassing.

Hot dang, you're right. I never even noticed the crappy textures on that bridge. o..o At first I thought there might have been something wrong on your system, so I went and got the same angle. Now I can't un-see it. ;..;

iA2J2TWka1kUs.jpg

(Just noticed the forum scales images now based on table width - guess I don't need to quote them?)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Every once in a while a long flat surface like that is just beyond embarrassing in terms of the asset. One quick pass to replace a handful of those textures even as an option would go a long way.

Retro

Drunken COF is best COF. Got in a solid COF1, a somewhat meandering COF2 and even a few good games of Peggle last night. We should have official drunk dungeon events.

Nightmare Within today.

Proven

It's patch day... There are some rumors of tiny fixes getting in before the Dec. 10th patch. So I wonder what else we'll get along with the tower opening up.

Also, for those that didn't know, the past month (from the start of Halloween) has had ANet experimenting with PvE related rewards in PvP. First this meant Trick-or-Treat bags for winning tournaments and Candy Corn for losing. Next, they started selling Toxic Chests from the glory vendors. You can spend 3750 glory per day for a bunch of Toxic Seedlings, Toxic Finishers, and a rare chance at a recipe. I've made a few gold from this over the last two weeks, along with saving up over 100 Toxic Finishers just to fool around with in the future.

However, some people complained about the sudden switch to ToT bags for tournament wins. Not everybody has loads of glory saved up yet to get the armor they want in PvP. Others would have just preferred getting the PvE focused reward in addition to the PvP one, rather than as a replacement. So, starting from today's update and lasting for a month you get two tournament chests per tournament win. Take advantage of it, as a lot of people will be joining solo queue for this and most of GAF is probably better than the average. There's also the option of getting Team Queues together much like gathering people for a dungeon.

Arkanius

Oh, I love my colourful games too, but GW2's blurryness and oversaturation does take it a bit beyond what I think the art supports. I turn post-processing off in-game specifically because I feel it muddies up the art a lot, and DarkD3 doesn't adjust the colours that much, it just tints everything down a bit towards a dark green/blue - you can turn the tinting off, actually.

But the unsharp the game has on its framebuffer, that's just heinous. So much of the incredible detail in the textures gets lost due to it. For example:

iQqI2uNOG4Z6H.jpg
iCEvD2lYGRK5X.jpg

I did turn off Post Processing (And FXAA) like you suggested
Holy mother, sharpness everywhere

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's patch day... There are some rumors of tiny fixes getting in before the Dec. 10th patch. So I wonder what else we'll get along with the tower opening up.

Also, for those that didn't know, the past month (from the start of Halloween) has had ANet experimenting with PvE related rewards in PvP. First this meant Trick-or-Treat bags for winning tournaments and Candy Corn for losing. Next, they started selling Toxic Chests from the glory vendors. You can spend 3750 glory per day for a bunch of Toxic Seedlings, Toxic Finishers, and a rare chance at a recipe. I've made a few gold from this over the last two weeks, along with saving up over 100 Toxic Finishers just to fool around with in the future.

However, some people complained about the sudden switch to ToT bags for tournament wins. Not everybody has loads of glory saved up yet to get the armor they want in PvP. Others would have just preferred getting the PvE focused reward in addition to the PvP one, rather than as a replacement. So, starting from today's update and lasting for a month you get two tournament chests per tournament win. Take advantage of it, as a lot of people will be joining solo queue for this and most of GAF is probably better than the average. There's also the option of getting Team Queues together much like gathering people for a dungeon.

Those bags as a reward for ranked was a terrible idea, chests are fine, you keep it like Zaishen keys if you wanted stuff that gave you money useable in pve etc you bought it with faction it, if not you ignore it forcing players one way or another just doesn't seem fair or properly thought.

Not to mention ToT bags are a terrible reward either way

Drunken COF is best COF. Got in a solid COF1, a somewhat meandering COF2 and even a few good games of Peggle last night. We should have official drunk dungeon events.

Nightmare Within today.

Hear Hear, that was fun, especially when Hawkian couldn't find the entrance for COF2 for three minutes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I found it funny that you all just followed the obviously drunk asura without question. really what were the odds that I knew where I was going?

Hey Kos if you're out there! Still planning to lead a bit of a guild event for the new stuff tonight at 8PM EST?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-November-12-2013

Aw yiss:

All permanent gathering tools will now be account bound rather than soulbound. For one week, account-bound versions of the Jack-in-the-Box Scythe and Bone Pick gathering tools will be available in the Services category of the Gem Store for 1000 gems each.

Previously purchased permanent gathering tools can be upgraded to account-bound versions by unequipping them and bringing them to a Black Lion Weapons Specialist.

Erk, new page. Might as well do this right:

LIVING WORLD
The Nightmares Within
The way is open. The bravest are entering the Tower of Nightmares and confronting scores of powerful enemies. Toxins in the air make the going rough, and players won’t know whether they’re encountering a hallucination or a living foe. No antitoxin can protect them from their inner demons, but someone has to bring this tower down before Kessex Hills is lost to the nightmare.

Story
  • Thanks to the heroes of Tyria, Marjory Delaqua’s research has yielded a viable antitoxin that has allowed teams from the Seraph, the Durmand Priory, the Vigil, and the Order of Whispers to infiltrate the Tower of Nightmares in Kessex Hills.
  • Air purifiers have been placed at key locations to counteract the toxic clouds around the base of the tower, allowing access to the interior. To destroy the heart of the nightmarish structure, brave squads have attempted to carry newly designed antitoxin injectors to the top of the tower, but they haven’t been heard from since. It’s now up to the heroes of Tyria to defeat the Toxic Alliance and destroy their tower.
  • Players will receive in-game mail from Lady Kasmeer Meade informing them that the Tower of Nightmares is now open. Use the Show Me functionality in the mail to find the location of the Tower of Nightmares.
  • Once inside the Tower of Nightmares, players will need to make their way up the tower, scaling three floors of horrifying dangers to reach the heart of the tower—a massive, noxious bloom pulsing with malevolent power. At the apex of the tower, players can enter the chamber protecting the tower’s heart and begin a story instance that can be completed solo or with a group of up to five players.
    • Upon defeating the challenges of the story instance, players can finish what the scouting team could not: inject Marjory’s antitoxin directly into the heart of the tower!
    • The story instance also has a repeatable mode so players can confront the challenges as many times as they like for additional rewards and accolades. Upon each completion, players will be able to inject another dose of antitoxin, weakening the tower that much more.
The Tower of Nightmares
  • The interior of the Tower of Nightmares has been revealed, and it is as deadly as its name suggests. The Tower of Nightmares is an open-world map designed to challenge even the hardiest of groups. Fighting side by side, players will need to rely on each other to survive.
  • Players will participate in a number of new open-world events throughout the structure and encounter the deadly hallucinations and lethal champions of the Toxic Alliance.
  • Within the Tower of Nightmares, a mysterious chest was found at the top of the tower. The chest’s lock is an intricate mechanism that seems to require a three-pronged key. The pieces of the key for this Tri-key Chest can be found on creatures within the Tower of Nightmares, or they can be acquired through trade with Marjory’s Helper Dee back at the Thunder Ridge Camp in Kessex Hills. Players will also receive one complete set of keys in the initial mail from Kasmeer. Combine the keys to create a Tricolor Key.
  • The Tower of Nightmares content will be available until the tower’s heart is destroyed. Watch the progress as more antitoxin is injected!
Nightmare Chambers
  • Throughout the Tower of Nightmares, players will find smaller blossoms that resemble the tower’s heart. Within these chambers, players will experience their deepest fears and encounter twisted visions of their past.
  • The Nightmare Chamber instances are designed for either solo or group play and are comprised of a number of random elements. Each time a player enters a chamber, there is a chance to see something, or someone, different. But is any of it real?
Open World
  • The Toxic Alliance isn’t giving up on its plans for domination simply because their tower has been breached. Toxic Offshoots and Toxic Alliance events will continue to run throughout this release, giving players a chance to finish many of the achievements they may have missed in the last release.
  • The Antitoxin Injected indicator is a representation of the amount of antitoxin that has been pumped into the heart of the tower by the heroes of Tyria and will update periodically.
Rewards
  • Finishing the meta-achievement for The Nightmares Within rewards players with a Gas Mask Skin. This headgear skin has three dye channels and can be applied to head armor of any weight class. It’s just the thing for infiltrating a hostile and toxic environment like the Tower of Nightmares.
  • Players will be awarded with a Mini Toxic Nimross miniature for completing the Tower Hybrid Master achievement.
  • Tricolor Keys can be used to open the Tri-key Chest at the top of the third level of the Tower of Nightmares. Besides its guaranteed rewards, there’s a chance for players to receive unique items:
    • Air-Filtration Device Skin—a headgear skin for all weight classes
    • Toxic Spore Skin back-slot item
    • New, exclusive miniature
Achievements
  • The Nightmares Within meta-achievement will task players with combating their way through the interior of the Tower of Nightmares, conquering their fears in the Nightmare Chamber instances, defeating the Toxic Hybrid, and injecting antitoxin into the heart of the tower.
    • Completing special Nightmares Within daily achievements during this release will contribute to the meta-achievement. These are earned by participating in specific Nightmares Within content each day.
NEW FEATURES AND CONTENT
Structured Player vs. Player
  • Added a new Custom Arena option: Force Respawn. When enabled, players will automatically respawn at the end of their respawn timers, and defeated players will no longer be resurrectable.
  • Solo Arena players will now be shuffled before joining a match to promote a more even and challenging game.
  • The compass and map will now display enemy markers for enemies who are in combat and within line of sight of one of your teammates.
  • Trick-or-Treat Bags have been reverted back to reward chests, and candy corn has been removed from Solo Arena and Team Arena. Until December 10, PvP will offer double reward chests for Solo Arena and Team Arena wins.
BALANCE, BUG-FIXING, POLISH
General
  • Introduced further server-side optimizations, with significant improvements during heavy combat scenarios.
Structured Player vs. Player
  • Fixed the Solo Arena UI to always have a Leave button instead of a Disband button.
  • The PvP panel now remembers the last opened tab.
  • The trebuchet in Battle of Kyhlo no longer awards personal scores for hitting minions.
  • The PvP medal on the Character Select screen now directly represents the player’s rank.
  • The Custom Arena configuration UI now disables the Play button when it’s expired.
BLACK LION TRADING COMPANY GEM STORE
New Items and Promotions
  • All permanent gathering tools will now be account bound rather than soulbound. For one week, account-bound versions of the Jack-in-the-Box Scythe and Bone Pick gathering tools will be available in the Services category of the Gem Store for 1000 gems each.
    • Previously purchased permanent gathering tools can be upgraded to account-bound versions by unequipping them and bringing them to a Black Lion Weapons Specialist.
  • Marjory’s Axe, Marjory’s Dagger, and Kasmeer’s Staff are now available as skins in the Style category of the Gem Store for 600 gems each.
  • A pair of spirit wings rises from the player’s defeated foe. The new Permanent Sanctified Finisher is available in the Upgrades category of the Gem Store for 600 gems.
Improvements
  • PvP Locker slots have been added for the Toxic hand and shoulder armors received from the Toxic Gloves Skin and the Toxic Mantle Skin, both available in the Style category of the Gem Store.
  • Soulbound permanent gathering tools can be exchanged at a Black Lion Weapons Specialist for account-bound versions. Players must unequip the tool before exchanging it.
  • All future permanent gathering tools from the Gem Store will be account bound and will cost slightly more than the soulbound versions.

I found it funny that you all just followed the obviously drunk asura without question. really what were the odds that I knew where I was going?

Hey Kos if you're out there! Still planning to lead a bit of a guild event for the new stuff tonight at 8PM EST?

It was more for the comedic relief then any sort of loyalty...
we were blindly following our intrepid leader and would do it again because we are so loyal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom