• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

I'm not gonna link to it, and I would caution against responding to it since it's clearly trolling (he's trying too hard, it's a dead giveaway), but there's a post in an MMO thread on gaming side that's insanely hilarious. You'll know it when you see it.

That person just sounds so hurt.

GAFGuild is just the best thing ever. :)

Gotta agree. GAFGuild has augmented my GW2 experience nicely.

Sophia

Well, the video itself leaves little doubt about it. :D
(it's also more hilarious because of the fact it follows some of the then-current myths and preconceptions about Onyxia).

I'm tempted to dig out that story now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NZVWGRYcIM

NSFW, but another video of their "guild" :p

He makes Gunnery Sergeant Hartman look like a nice and kind fellow. Sadly I can't find the Kotaku story on his guild. Name is Dives and the guild is named Wipe Club.

Lol applications. Such a ridiculous concept for gaming. People are taking Wildstar so seriously that they want applications to test raids in Beta...I wish I were joking.

When I played competitive FPS the clan I was in tried to do that process. It doesn't work. I have since learned that if there is an application to fill out then the idea of playing a game is probably lost on that group of people.

Retro

You know, now that you mention it, I think I've NEVER seen a single racist/homophobic/sexist/bigoted comment in guild chat.

It's unfortunately such common language in gaming that I think a lot of people forget it's a 'thing', though GAF has conditioned me to notice it. When I've had to warn people about it, it's not even really a warning; it's "Hey, try not to use that kind of language", and they've immediately said "Oh damn, it just slipped out, sorry".

People slip up. I've had to tell my own brothers to tone it down, they tend to take jabs at eachother in Mumble and it invariably turns to comments on eachothers' sexuality and implied nocturnal activities.

I didn't even know we had a policy about that. I should give it a read as I'm somewhat foul mouther myself at times. :D

Eh, our rules are pretty lax, honestly, since we took them from GAF. No hate speech, no trolling, no drama. Everyone is expected to be over 13 and behave as such.

Honestly, the policy was just something we wrote up because when we DID have to ban someone, they immediately went to the "Well, you never said I couldn't..." well and he did have a point. But everyone felt strongly enough about it that we didn't let him back in. Wasn't even a GAFer, I believe, and we had a ton of complaints about it, so... yeah.

Wow, that was a thing in a GAFGuild group? In GW2 of all games? o_O

It happened once, I can't even remember who it involved. We talked to the people who did it and they understood why it was an issue.

Really, honestly guys, GAFGuild is well-behaved and all of the leadership stuff is so much easier to deal with than any MMO I've played. We may not have a lot of in-game tools, but the need for those tools is pretty thin as well.

Baskcm

Finally reached lvl 10 on ma enginner and I also changed his sodding clothes colour so he doesn't look like a court jester. Also started 3 more characters to get a feel how they play gotta admit the elementalist is quite fun to play.

nataku

Imagine how good it'll be when ArenaNet actually releases a bunch of guild management updates!

Sadly, it's a very low priority for them.

There was a good post on reddit a few days ago about things that are necessary for guild management, and it really is baffling they're not in the game yet. Things like a calendar, guild info separate from the MOTD, automated guild MOTD ping when you log in, last online. A calendar would be especially useful for guild run events and guild missions.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1inlhs/i_know_this_has_been_brought_up_before_but_guild/

Retro

After a currency tab for dungeon tokens / badges, guild management tools are the biggest quality of life improvement on my list. We do alright, and there really isn't that much we need to organize for anyways, but it would still be convenient.

hythloday

I would definitely have less fun without the guild, but I'm not sure I'd think the game is totally boring. There are a lot of thing I'd improve or change, but it's been fun for me each time I've stopped to smell the roses.

Yesterday I decided to work on some map completion, and I ended up following a cute little event chain in Metrica Province in the Inquest lab ("The Funhouse"). I helped some asura break out of jail cells, then they wanted to fuck some shit up on their way out, and then finally they broke out of the facility. It was probably more fun than if I'd run COF1 for the billionth time. (I don't do dungeons a lot).

Retro

Since it's an MMO, having people to play with is kind of the point. I think I'd still enjoy the game if I wasn't in a guild like GAF, but it would have something missing. That's part of the reason I've never been able to get into the Elder Scrolls games, even though they've changed or improved the other major complaints I have with the series; all that open space, no one to share it with.

But as a Law of Gaming, anything is better with co-op.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Slowly levelling up my character. Just hit lv55. Haven't tried anything but random events and champions, the story run of AC and two world bosses I stumbled across.

Finally got 16 cheevos for that home Quartz, and I never want to play that Mario Kart mode ever again. Never once placed first either. =/

Slow going, but fun.

Jarate

Banned
Controller is fun to play with but managing inventory is still a pain

Also, things keep popping up in front of this game, I get this game right before a long homestand, and then go on vacation right afterwards, then as soon as I get home, bam earthbound and dynasty warriors 8 are out, then after that I got another homestand for the phillies I need to work at, and august is the month of work for me

Anyone wanna break my leg so I dont have to work :3

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That "not so secret" JP will be first one I'm completely skipping. Hard jumps n stuff are one thing, but that thing is the epitome of sketchyness, glitchyness and unfair falling deaths. Hate it.

Since it's an MMO, having people to play with is kind of the point. I think I'd still enjoy the game if I wasn't in a guild like GAF, but it would have something missing. That's part of the reason I've never been able to get into the Elder Scrolls games, even though they've changed or improved the other major complaints I have with the series; all that open space, no one to share it with.

But as a Law of Gaming, anything is better with co-op.
Yes. As soon as my guild disbanded, the game became boring as hell. It's seriously like playing TES with a lot of trash talk by some other people you'll never see.

jersoc

I don't think any MMO would be fun without a guild.

it's not. ive tried a few by myself. gets boring real quick. even worse when you get a 2nd shift job and the playerbase is nothing at 2 or 3am.

got the lightning back today thanks to the crazy farming. 2 kites had 50 scraps each.

Sophia

I don't think any MMO would be fun without a guild.

A good guild makes all the difference in the world. Truthfact.. It's why I stayed with WoW so long.

EDIT:

Did... I just run... into robot roleplaying? XD

gw150xgkbz.jpg
gw1512qj3f.jpg

Arken2121

I usually just roam in WvW, picking off people. More often than not I run with whatever commander is currently in the zone for a few.

Moondrop

Banned
GAFguild is so respectful it makes you forget we're still on the internet.

When I would go on JQ Teamspeak for WvW, I heard "Jew" used multiple times derogatorily. I wouldn't let that slide in real life, but I don't waste my time attempting to educate people online.

Lunar15

I do a lot of stuff alone, without the guild. I would definitely not say that the game is boring without the guild.

That being said, it's 100X better when you have guild chat and all the friendly people there.

Levyne

Banned
Just chiming in to say gaf guild is full of great people and I love playing and chatting with most all of you :)

Aside, probably gonna shoot for a thursday mission make-up 4-fer with the patch being tuesday. My daylight schedule's a bit in flux this week though. I will certainly try to ensure they happen

(I need the comns, haha)

Reknoc

I do a lot of stuff alone, without the guild. I would definitely not say that the game is boring without the guild.

That being said, it's 100X better when you have guild chat and all the friendly people there.

Yea, I don't do a lot with the guild other than the saturday night stuff, since I mostly just faff around with alts. But without the guildchat I don't think I would have spent even half the time playing GW2 as I have (half the time I've spent playing is still more than I have in any other game though).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Chance of an invite to the GAF guild? Just got game yesterday and I'm slowly coming to grips with it. Testing out a Necromancer at the moment.

Account: Tunesmith.7290

:)

hythloday

I'm looking forward to Lion's Arch map chat once people are rooting for a particular candidate. People got pretty heated over moas.
Go Meep.

Ruined City of Arah Map datamined long time ago...notice the skeleton of a dragon on the right side.

In-game map of the Runied City of Arah. No dragon. Wonder if they start to cleans Orr that dungeon will change to include the skeleton of the dragon which I think is Zhaitan.

What do you guys think?

Reading these previews for tomorrows update has made me even less interested in the activities...if it wasn't for the blog post last week I'd be pretty disappointed. I guess I'll give in my tokens and continue to just stick to WvW. Hope there is some more lore stuff happening during this update and it isn't just activities.

I can't wait to see what the next release teaser will be.

Retro

whats the cutoff for Four Winds achievements? I have a few more to get to 16.

Pretty sure it runs up until August 6th. All of their previous updates have kept the first update's stuff around until the end of the month. It seems that the first update always establishes the 'theme' (Dragon Bash, Bazaar) and the second creates the drama. Then they both go away at the start of the next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom